HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...345678910111213All...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 14
Re: HS Football 2017
Posted by: Badda Bing ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:12PM

Friday evening is the beginning of Yom Kippur...maybe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: refs ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:39PM

HULYP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why are so many varsity games scheduled for this
> Thurs night?

Referee shortages. Every team covered by the Northern Virginia Football Officials Association has to play at least one (or more) Thursday night game every year.

Posted by: dfgb23 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:44PM

No idea, every year a team has at least on Thurs day game, and most usually happen on the same week.

Posted by: dfgb23 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:44PM

No idea, every year a team has at least on Thurs day game, and most usually happen on the same week.

Posted by: n9wwy ()
Date: September 26, 2017 02:45PM

Patriot has our contest at Westfield on Thursday evening. I must be at the playing of this match. Does anyone have information about any plaers on Pariot's team? I saw Westfield play earlier this year on film so i know a few of their team. They have the really tough defensive line man. Patriot is a bigger school then Westfield so they probably have a some great teammates i could watch for.

Posted by: GAU ()
Date: September 26, 2017 02:52PM

First power rankings are out. While the two Northern Virginia 6A regions send the top 44% of their teams to the playoffs (8 of 18), the central region sends 67% (8 of 12) and the southern region sends 88% (7 of 8).

Region C
1. Woodbridge (4-0)
2. Freedom
3. Mount Vernon
4. Hayfield (3-1)
5. Hylton
6. West Springfield
7. West Potomac
8. Fairfax (3-2)

Region D
1. Westfield (4-0)
2. Madison (4-1)
3. Centreville
4. South Lakes
5. Patriot (3-1)
6. Yorktown
7. Marshall
7. Battlefield (4-1)

Posted by: Kneelin ()
Date: September 26, 2017 03:29PM

Patriot will Give Westfield a Good test this Thursday, don't be surprised if Westfield Catches their First L!

Posted by: Uh Huh... ()
Date: September 26, 2017 05:56PM

Uh, Oh...

You said Westfield and L in the same sentence...

...soon we all shall witnesseth the coming of the trolls...no man or woman will be able to stop it...

...it only can be stopped with the conclusion of the match...but, no...they we wil hear the refrain that Westfield will be better in the playoffs...then the trolls -- they will dance

Posted by: Old school Concorde ()
Date: September 26, 2017 09:09PM

That is the old way games were scheduled. This season is all new and it's an s storm. Teams are ranked and can only play teams within a certain tier. They play their district games - all new- and the are given two games. Schools must then go find two opponents, but they must meet the tier qualifications. The new Concorde is screwed because they have to find 3 games not two. The tiers are based on the last few season records so scheduling becomes difficult. This also messed up PowerPoint like someone else brought up. It used to be a negative to play down now you might as well play all lower level schools and win to get more points. This was all started by the Robinson AD.

Posted by: 4theluv ()
Date: September 26, 2017 09:30PM

Braddock will blister Oakton!

Everyone will get a chance to see the new Bruins and how they will run the table

Come on out Thursday night if you want to see a great show

Posted by: WCHP6 ()
Date: September 27, 2017 08:06AM

The Robinson AD is an idiot. That's apparent by how bad most of their programs are. He knows nothing about football, why is he doing anything with the schedule?

There is only one AD in the entire county with a football background, and he just took the job over the summer. Not surprising they screwed this up.

Posted by: StatsMatter ()
Date: September 27, 2017 09:58AM

Old school Concorde Wrote:
> That is the old way games were scheduled. This
> season is all new and it's an s storm. Teams are
> ranked and can only play teams within a certain
> tier. They play their district games - all new-
> and the are given two games. Schools must then go
> find two opponents, but they must meet the tier
> qualifications. The new Concorde is screwed
> because they have to find 3 games not two. The
> tiers are based on the last few season records so
> scheduling becomes difficult. This also messed up
> PowerPoint like someone else brought up. It used
> to be a negative to play down now you might as
> well play all lower level schools and win to get
> more points. This was all started by the Robinson
> AD.

You could not be more wrong - there have been district games for over a decade (even when they switched to the conference set-up a few years ago). There are now 5 districts in the northern region (technically it is now two regions: Northern and Occoquoun) - Gunston is the name for the new 5th district - there are 5 to 7 teams in each district. Each team plays every team in their district, so a 7 team district has 4 non-district games, a 6 team district has 5 non-district games and a 5 team district plays 6 non-district games.

As far as scheduling goes. it has been done by the Yorktown DSA for as long as I can remember, each school's DSA submits a rank-ordered list of non-district games they want - I have know idea how that information is used - but the good-ole-boys club is part of it - if Yorktown's DSA likes your DSA you will get most of the games you requested. Also, if you want to play an out of state team you have to get permission from VHSL.

Date: September 27, 2017 10:10AM

Also, I don't know what you mean by "tier" But I assume you mean class. There are NO class restrictions, in fact, this year Falls Church played and beat a class 2 team (3 "tiers" below their class 6) and gets full credit for a class 5 win due to the bonus points the get for "playing down."

Posted by: Stop living in the past ()
Date: September 27, 2017 03:08PM

4theluv Wrote:
> Braddock will blister Oakton!
>
> Everyone will get a chance to see the new Bruins
> and how they will run the table
>
> Come on out Thursday night if you want to see a
> great show

Okay is that suppose to mean something like yeah big deal if Braddock beats Oakton there a 2-8 team that's not impressive this isn't 2006, 2012 Oakton ain't what it use to be and a 41-7 victory by braddock won't mean shit

Posted by: U7XCT ()
Date: September 27, 2017 03:40PM

4theluv Wrote:
> Braddock will blister Oakton!
>
> Everyone will get a chance to see the new Bruins
> and how they will run the table
>
> Come on out Thursday night if you want to see a
> great show

LB should win against a very bad Oakton team that has their back up QB starting as the 1st string QB got injured again, probably out for rest of season.

Before you start crowing, let's see if you can get by ROBO and SOCO this year. I'm willing to bet no. Spaulding gets 5 total tds against you guys.

Posted by: EPD7V ()
Date: September 27, 2017 03:51PM

Bigger game of the week?
Madison v SOCO
CVHS v WPO

Posted by: old school fan ()
Date: September 28, 2017 12:48PM

StatsMatter -
You couldnt be more wrong. The old way of scheduling games and ranking your opponents ended last season. This is the first season of the new schedule. FCPS was split into two separate regions too. Yes, district games have always been around and are always scheduled for you. However, one district - the new concorde- has 5 teams (or 4 games). So Coach Haddock has 4 district games on his schedule. He was then given three games by the scheduling committee. He then had to find three other games on his own. Coach Taylor from South Lakes has 5 district games (because his district has 6 teams not 5) then was given 3 games and had to find 2 more games.
Also - you do not need to petition the VHSL to go out of state anymore. The VHSL will automatically rank (Division 4,5,6, ect) an out of state game. See Falls Church - who plays two DC schools.

there are tiers too. They new committee led by the Robinson AD took the previous 3 season records and compiled them together and then created tiers to make the games given by the committees fair. This would allow a team like Marshall not have to play Westfield or Centerville because it would be considered "unfair".

Posted by: h6yyt ()
Date: September 28, 2017 04:55PM

At this point, unless see an actual recorded interview with a head coach, not going to believe a word about how games are actually scheduled. Never seen such a cluster*** than this discussion about scheduling.

Posted by: Some Ideas ()
Date: September 28, 2017 08:20PM

James Madison 13 South County 13 at Half

Date: September 29, 2017 07:01AM

h6yyt Wrote:
> At this point, unless see an actual recorded
> interview with a head coach, not going to believe
> a word about how games are actually scheduled.
> Never seen such a cluster*** than this discussion
> about scheduling.

I did some checking and based on what I was told by a DSA i know (next door neighbor), old school fan was mostly correct on how games are now scheduled. When he said "They play their district games - all new . . ." that threw me since districts have been around forever - I now understand that he meant the composition of the districts is new (the Gunston is the only new district). What I was told that differs from what he wrote is that the committee assigns THREE games (not two) based on the power points from the 2013-2015 seasons (not the past three, which would be 2014-2016).

Bottom line: Teams play every team in their district, they are assigned 2 (or 3) games and they are on their own to fill out what's left.

Now for some corrections to other posts on this subject:

1) To be a recognized school (one that counts for power points) the opponent must be a Virginia Public OR Private school or a Out-of-State public school. Out-of-state private schools are not recognized. To be eligible for the playoffs you must play 9 or 10 games against a recognized opponent. This year this rule effects:
- Wakefield - 9 game schedule since National Collegiate Prep is not recognized (out-of-state private school)
- TJ - not playoff eligible (not that it matters) since they only have 6 recognized games - 9 game schedule with three non-recognized teams.

2) The first tie breaker for determining seeding is to compute the power points using only Virginia school opponents - so if Falls Church is tied with another 5C region opponent their power points will be recomputed using only the 8 Virgina teams they play.

3) The DSA also told me that it has been decided that the Occoquan and Northern Regions will have separate 8-team playoffs with the winners playing each other in the state semifinal game.

4) Playing down one class or more does not have a negative impact on a team's overall power points calculation - they get 2 bonus point for each class down making up for the lower classes fewer win points - it would be smart for coaches to pick 1A schools with lots of wins predicted as they would likely beat them and get the same total power points as they would for beating another school in their same class with the same W/L record, e.g. a 6a school that beats a 8-2 1A school gets the same power points (42) as if they had defeated a 8-2 6A school.

5) Fairfax County teams are now in one of three regions:
- Class 6A; Northern
- Class 6a: Occoquan
- Class 5A: Region C (I guess they couldn't come up with a catchy name)

My apologies for jumping on old school fan.

Posted by: Braddock... ()
Date: September 29, 2017 10:07AM

The Lake Braddock offense looked great last night, but the defense left a lot to be desired.. 31 points to oakton? (29 really, there was a safety). I think if they do that against robo, theyre screwed. if offense can play with that execution all year, and defense steps up, legit contender

Posted by: LB Fan ()
Date: September 29, 2017 10:21AM

"At this point, unless see an actual recorded interview with a head coach, not going to believe a word about how games are actually scheduled. Never seen such a cluster*** than this discussion about scheduling."

At this point, the only head coach I will believe is Doc from LB. He is gospel. What's his take on the scheduling? Huge win last night

Posted by: Embrace the suck ()
Date: September 29, 2017 12:33PM

Braddock... Wrote:
> The Lake Braddock offense looked great last night,
> but the defense left a lot to be desired.. 31
> points to oakton? (29 really, there was a
> safety). I think if they do that against robo,
> theyre screwed. if offense can play with that
> execution all year, and defense steps up, legit
> contender

Let's be honest LB won't make it past the first round of playoffs, last night we saw how hyped up they truly are

Posted by: Uh Huh... ()
Date: September 29, 2017 12:44PM

So...SoCo isn't all that with their loss and especially considering Robinson's dismantling of Hayfield...

Posted by: asfldjlafs ()
Date: September 29, 2017 01:53PM

I was at the ROBO game. ROBO completely shut down the pass and the run. Also, Hayfield was a very undisciplined team with several offsides on D and motion calls on offense. Robo could have added at least another 7, if not 14 to that score if they wanted to. Robo was running a QB keeper wedge for at least 4 yards per play all night.

Uh Huh... Wrote:
> So...SoCo isn't all that with their loss and
> especially considering Robinson's dismantling of
> Hayfield...

Posted by: VEBVX ()
Date: September 29, 2017 02:09PM

LB Fan Wrote:
> "At this point, unless see an actual recorded
> interview with a head coach, not going to believe
> a word about how games are actually scheduled.
> Never seen such a cluster*** than this discussion
> about scheduling."
>
> At this point, the only head coach I will believe
> is Doc from LB. He is gospel. What's his take on
> the scheduling? Huge win last night

Wow, based on his team's performance thus far, he is the last guy I would ask, he seems to be lost.

BTW, letting 1-4 Oakton score 31 points is not a "Huge win" but a matter of concern.

Posted by: Braddock Community ()
Date: September 29, 2017 02:40PM

The LB team had every advantage athletically and physically in the game last night. The fact that Oakton hung with them at all is a miracle. Though the offense seemed to be rolling, they could have been shut down all night. Multiple times they had 3rd and 15+ but would convert due to the fact that Oakton had no pass rush due to limited size and speed. On defense LB was picked apart in the run game. Oakton's limited passing attack even hit for multiple big plays. This easily could have been an Oakton victory. LB might as well be Woodson II.

Posted by: CHANTILLY WTF ()
Date: September 29, 2017 02:55PM

seems like Chantilly might actually go 0-10, Prince William Football on the Rise? Freedom, Hylton, Woodbridge legit teams or will the choke as usual

Posted by: 4theluv ()
Date: September 29, 2017 05:06PM

Come on now, Doc and staff has LB rolling, that's 2 in a row and ready to run the table. I think everyone knew it was just a matter of time before this staff got these players to start playing hard.

The Bruins will crush Robinson this week, no way they stop the LB passing attack, its just too good. The defense will step up and stop Robinson's running attack. I can see this being a blow out by Braddock.

One Team, One Heartbeat!!

Posted by: alum2011 ()
Date: September 30, 2017 03:02PM

This should be a good test for Lake Braddock.

They already know they can't beat the good teams Westfield and Stone Bridge.

They beat 2 bad teams Yorktown and Oakton

They couldn't beat West Potomac who is a decent team and Robinson falls into that category of decent team. If they want to make the playoffs this is a must win game.

I don't see them beating Robinson, Braddock's defense is horrible, is coach Edwards still at LB? Who coaches the defense?
The Rams offense will keep the Bruins offense off the field and Robinson wins in a close one.

BTW number 4 is a beast!! but he wont be enough for LB to win

Posted by: long time watcher ()
Date: October 03, 2017 10:40AM

In my opinion, LB had no chance against stone bride. westfield was a winnable game, but the stone bridge game... thats the best high school team i have seen in 32 years or being around high school football. west potomac loss will haunt LB, they were better than westpo and choked. i think LB finishes 7-3 and makes it to the 3rd round of playoffs before losing

Posted by: ksjflasdjlasjfl ()
Date: October 03, 2017 02:34PM

Don't see it. ROBO's offense has been able to advance the ball at will and I think that will continue Friday at home. They have made some changes at CB to keep from getting beat down the side, like they were earlier on in the season. The results of that showed last Thursday, shutting down Hayfield. I have yet to see LB dominate a decent team, like ROBO did to Hayfield.

long time watcher Wrote:
> In my opinion, LB had no chance against stone
> bride. westfield was a winnable game, but the
> stone bridge game... thats the best high school
> team i have seen in 32 years or being around high
> school football. west potomac loss will haunt LB,
> they were better than westpo and choked. i think
> LB finishes 7-3 and makes it to the 3rd round of
> playoffs before losing

Posted by: Ram Pride ()
Date: October 03, 2017 02:59PM

ROBO's offense has stalled against teams who are disciplined and fast, but dominated against teams that easily get out of position. Against Woodson teams coached by the current LB staff, ROBO scored 45 (2016), 56 (2015), and 57 (2014), largely because the defensive staff didn't understand how to stop the Wing-T. Will the better athletes of LB help them crack the code? Maybe, but it will be a test.

The real test of this game will be if Robinsons D can stop the LB passing attack. The only team that really attacked Robinson's secondary was TC, and for some reason they laid off in the 2nd half. Annandale scored 40 by throwing deep, but didn't do it enough to be competitive.

And for some reason no one seems to understand, Hayfield tried to run the ball, and when they did throw, threw to everyone accept Cobb. They only tried to stretch the defense a couple of times, and missed open receivers. If LB can't stretch the secondary, it will be a long night, as ROBO will take away the run and short pass.

For all of you coach Doc supporters and haters, this game will tell you a lot about this staffs ability to coach on a higher level.

Should be a good game.

Posted by: Don't know if this was answered ()
Date: October 03, 2017 03:06PM

Badda Bing Wrote:
> Friday evening is the beginning of Yom
> Kippur...maybe?

Yes, this is the reason why games in most of the area were played on Thursday. If you notice, none of the Catholic schools played on Thursday. They all played on the regular Friday/Saturday schedule.

Posted by: Nostradumbass ()
Date: October 03, 2017 06:44PM

Re: Loudoun High School Football!
Posted by: Loudoun County Football Fan ()
Date: September 14, 2017 07:02PM

It really is the best football around.

You heard it here first.

Broad Run and Stone Bridge will each be 9-0 when they play each other in the last game of the season.

Says a lot about Ashburn football!

Both teams are now 5-0. Looks like this might come true!

Two best teams in Northern Virginia are mile and 1/2 apart.

Posted by: Playoff Points ()
Date: October 03, 2017 09:32PM

2017 - 2018 Top Twenty Ranking Teams per Region
Region 5C
High School Won Lost Tied Won Lost Tied Rating
---------VHSL--------- --------District--------
Group Region District

Stone Bridge 5 30.40000
Broad Run 5 30.00000
Tuscarora 5 5C Potomac 5 1 0 2 1 0 26.50000
Champe, John 5 5C Potomac 3 2 0 0 2 0 25.60000
Falls Church 5 5C National 3 3 0 0 0 0 23.50000
Edison, Thomas 5 5C National 3 2 0 2 0 0 22.80000
Potomac Falls 5 5C Potomac 3 3 0 1 2 0 21.66667
Wakefield 5 5C National 2 3 0 0 1 0 21.20000
Lee, R.E. (S) 5 5C National 2 4 0 2 0 0 20.16667
Rock Ridge 5 5C Potomac 1 4 0 0 2 0 19.00000
Briar Woods 5 5C Potomac 1 4 0 1 1 0 18.20000
Freedom (LC) 5 5C Potomac 0 5 0 0 2 0 14.80000
Jefferson, Tho. (A) 5 5C National 0 4 0 0 2 0 14.50000

Posted by: 6A PP ()
Date: October 03, 2017 09:33PM

Group Region District
Woodbridge 6 6C Cardinal 5 0 0 1 0 0 29.60000
Freedom (PW) 6 6C Cardinal 5 0 0 1 0 0 29.60000
Mount Vernon 6 6C Gunston 5 0 0 0 0 0 29.20000
West Springfield 6 6C Patriot 4 1 0 0 0 0 25.80000
Hylton, C.D. 6 6C Cardinal 3 2 0 1 1 0 25.00000
Fairfax 6 6C Patriot 3 2 0 0 0 0 24.80000
Robinson, James 6 6C Patriot 3 2 0 0 0 0 24.80000
Hayfield 6 6C Gunston 3 2 0 0 0 0 24.60000
West Potomac 6 6C Gunston 3 2 0 0 0 0 24.40000
Annandale 6 6C Gunston 3 2 0 0 0 0 24.00000
Williams, T.C. 6 6C Gunston 3 2 0 0 0 0 24.00000
Lake Braddock 6 6C Patriot 2 3 0 0 0 0 23.40000
South County 6 6C Patriot 2 3 0 0 0 0 23.00000
Forest Park 6 6C Cardinal 2 3 0 1 1 0 22.40000
Woodson, W. T. 6 6C Patriot 2 3 0 0 0 0 21.80000
Stuart, J.E.B. 6 6C National 2 3 0 0 2 0 20.60000
Colgan, Charles 6 6C Cardinal 1 4 0 0 2 0 19.00000
Gar-Field 6 6C Cardinal 0 5 0 0 2 0 16.00000

Posted by: 6a westfield region ()
Date: October 03, 2017 09:34PM

Group Region District
Westfield 6 6D Concorde 5 0 0 0 0 0 30.80000
Madison, James 6 6D Concorde 5 1 0 0 0 0 28.83333
South Lakes 6 6D Liberty 4 1 0 0 0 0 28.60000
Centreville 6 6D Concorde 5 1 0 0 0 0 28.50000
Marshall, George 6 6D National 4 1 0 1 0 0 27.40000
Yorktown 6 6D Liberty 4 1 0 0 0 0 26.80000
Battlefield 6 6D Cedar Run 4 1 0 0 0 0 26.20000
Patriot 6 6D Cedar Run 3 2 0 0 0 0 25.80000
Herndon 6 6D Liberty 2 3 0 0 0 0 21.20000
Jackson, Stonewall (M) 6 6D Cedar Run 1 5 0 0 0 0 20.00000
Osbourn 6 6D Cedar Run 1 4 0 0 0 0 20.00000
Osbourn Park 6 6D Cedar Run 1 4 0 0 0 0 19.80000
Oakton 6 6D Concorde 1 4 0 0 0 0 19.20000
Washington-Lee 6 6D Liberty 0 5 0 0 0 0 17.80000
McLean 6 6D Liberty 0 5 0 0 0 0 17.20000
Chantilly 6 6D Concorde 0 6 0 0 0 0 17.16667
Langley 6 6D Liberty 0 5 0 0 0 0 16.60000

Posted by: LB watcher ()
Date: October 04, 2017 11:23AM

i thought this was the most reasonable post i have ever read on here. I applaud that. very valid points. LB does have 3 fantastic coaches however. one of them is in the DC regional elite 11 staff every year, knows his stuff

Posted by: ntheno ()
Date: October 04, 2017 03:17PM

The Bruins are just getting started, everything is in place for them to make a big run.

Watch out the Bruins are on the prowl and will be taking everyone down that stands in their way.

LB best coaching staff in the state!!!

Stay Tuned Everyone

Posted by: Out of the Know ()
Date: October 04, 2017 10:36PM

I Agree whole heartedly, now that LB is done with the Tackle Football portion of their schedule they should have no problem making a run through the Powder Puff Portion.

Posted by: MHUVB ()
Date: October 06, 2017 02:39PM

Posted by: HSF Guru ()
Date: October 06, 2017 02:46PM

MHUVB Wrote:
> http://www.localdvm.com/sports/virginia-sports/gam
> e-of-the-week-madison-vs-westfield/827510643
>
> Why is everyone picking MHS to beat WHS tonight?

Steve K and this sock puppet Fan of Steve K are picking Westfield. This is homecoming for Westfield and they'll be pumped. A pumped Bulldog team is awesomeness in cleats. Fear eats at Madison all week. I'll be surprise if they even show up to play.

Posted by: Frequent Watched of WF Football ()
Date: October 06, 2017 03:34PM

HSF Guru Wrote:
> MHUVB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> http://www.localdvm.com/sports/virginia-sports/gam
>
> > e-of-the-week-madison-vs-westfield/827510643
> >
> > Why is everyone picking MHS to beat WHS
> tonight?
>

I could see MHS winning, their a good team. The team with the fewest mistakes will take this one. Both are quality teams, should be a good game.
>
> Steve K and this sock puppet Fan of Steve K are
> picking Westfield. This is homecoming for
> Westfield and they'll be pumped. A pumped Bulldog
> team is awesomeness in cleats. Fear eats at
> Madison all week. I'll be surprise if they even
> show up to play.

Posted by: Where is Steve K??? ()
Date: October 06, 2017 04:35PM

Is there a link to Steve K and his picks and lines? How do you know he's picking Westfield?

Posted by: I'm not a helpful person ()
Date: October 06, 2017 05:12PM

Where is Steve K??? Wrote:
> Is there a link to Steve K and his picks and
> lines? How do you know he's picking Westfield?

He has his own thread here. There's a search function on here somewhere you could use.

Posted by: Big game hunter ()
Date: October 06, 2017 07:36PM

After 1 quarter, Madison up 3-0. They look like the better team so far, and should pull away in 2nd half in my opinion.

Posted by: Doc's Jock ()
Date: October 06, 2017 08:15PM

smells good right now. 21-0 Lake Braddock

Posted by: You're a jerk ()
Date: October 06, 2017 08:21PM

Doc's Jock Wrote:
> smells good right now. 21-0 Lake Braddock

Why do you have to be so mean? You're just some pussy sitting behind a cell phone.

Posted by: reginwatcher ()
Date: October 06, 2017 11:18PM

Woodson beat South County 29-21 holy crap

Posted by: Yep! ()
Date: October 06, 2017 11:35PM

Did Spalding play? If not, then there's you're answer...

Posted by: socovswtw ()
Date: October 06, 2017 11:37PM

Spalding played the entire game. WTW forced multiple turnovers

Posted by: Fear the Hawk ()
Date: October 07, 2017 12:06AM

Final scores:

Westfield 10
Madison 6

South Lakes 42
Langley 7

Posted by: evjl9 ()
Date: October 07, 2017 06:07AM

Big game hunter Wrote:
> After 1 quarter, Madison up 3-0. They look like
> the better team so far, and should pull away in
> 2nd half in my opinion.

If Cockrill doesn't fumble at the 1, Kim doesn't touch out of bounds at the 4 and Hilldrup doesn't miss a 30 yard FG, this would could have been a 27-6 score. But then again, if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas...

Posted by: WWGUV ()
Date: October 07, 2017 06:52AM

If Cockrill doesn't fumble at the 1, Kim doesn't
> touch out of bounds at the 4 and Hilldrup doesn't
> miss a 30 yard FG, this would could have been a
> 27-6 score. But then again, if "ifs" and "buts"
> were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry
> Christmas...

Since Kim touched out of bounds at the 4 there should’ve been at least 2-3 ticks put back on the play clock. Your are correct,this game shouldn’t never have been this close especially on WHS final drive,they should’ve been able to ice the game at 3rd and a foot with a minute to play on Madison’s 7yd line.

Posted by: If this, If that, If you ()
Date: October 07, 2017 07:36AM

If Madison doesn't go for it on 4th and 1 1/2 from their own 29 yard line with 11 minutes to go with game tied at 3-3, Westfield never scores a TD. Not sure about the play calling there. These are two great defenses. I wonder how they stack up to Centerville.

Posted by: If there was No Football ()
Date: October 07, 2017 07:57AM

I Guess if Madison doesn't go for it on 4th and 1-1/2 on their 29 yard line with 11 minutes left, the Game Would have just ended Right there in a 3-3 Tie. The Officials would have called the Game because Madison took a Chance, Gambled and Lost and that shouldn't be allowed. Not sure about your Logic.

Posted by: Uh..Huh... ()
Date: October 07, 2017 08:25AM

HSF Guru said:

"I could see MHS winning, their a good team. The team with the fewest mistakes will take this one. Both are quality teams, should be a good game."

...and it was.

Fewest missed opportunities/mistakes won the game. (whatever the Westfield apologists believe...) Could have ended 6-3 if Madison doesn't blow a coverage in the end zone...could have gone into overtime at 13-13 if Westfield actually had a kicker and made the field goal and Madison does get the touchdown at the end. Could the score been high in either direction, yes to that too.

Two very evenly matched teams...and I expect they will see each other again in the playoffs. Both team's upcoming games against Centreville will be interesting since the Wildcats had hard time with Oakton last night finally winning 26-20.

Posted by: HFN7V ()
Date: October 07, 2017 08:30AM

Uh..Huh... Wrote:
> HSF Guru said:
>
> "I could see MHS winning, their a good team. The
> team with the fewest mistakes will take this one.
> Both are quality teams, should be a good game."
>
> ...and it was.
>
> Fewest missed opportunities/mistakes won the game.
> (whatever the Westfield apologists believe...)
> Could have ended 6-3 if Madison doesn't blow a
> coverage in the end zone...could have gone into
> overtime at 13-13 if Westfield actually had a
> kicker and made the field goal and Madison does
> get the touchdown at the end. Could the score
> been high in either direction, yes to that too.
>
> Two very evenly matched teams...and I expect they
> will see each other again in the playoffs. Both
> team's upcoming games against Centreville will be
> interesting since the Wildcats had hard time with
> Oakton last night finally winning 26-20.

That’s 2yrs in a row CVHS has struggled against an over matched Oakton team. Seems like they can’t get up for teams they should boat race, is that coaching? Looking ahead to WHS match up? Gonna nite them in the sss sooner or later.

Date: October 07, 2017 11:01AM

Uh..Huh... Wrote:
> HSF Guru said:
>
> "I could see MHS winning, their a good team. The
> team with the fewest mistakes will take this one.
> Both are quality teams, should be a good game."
>
> ...and it was.
>
> Fewest missed opportunities/mistakes won the game.
> (whatever the Westfield apologists believe...)
> Could have ended 6-3 if Madison doesn't blow a
> coverage in the end zone...could have gone into
> overtime at 13-13 if Westfield actually had a
> kicker and made the field goal and Madison does
> get the touchdown at the end. Could the score
> been high in either direction, yes to that too.
>
> Two very evenly matched teams...and I expect they
> will see each other again in the playoffs. Both
> team's upcoming games against Centreville will be
> interesting since the Wildcats had hard time with
> Oakton last night finally winning 26-20.

Two plays that were complete blown opportunities for Westfield. I believe it was the 3rd quarter, WF has the ball inside Madison's 10, 2nd and goal. Play action pass, Kim rolls out, WR open in the corner of the end zone, Kim keeps the ball and cuts back inside, tackled for minimal gain. The next play WF is stuffed and settles for a FG and a 10-6 lead.

The second, and what could have proved costliest. WF has the ball, 3rd and about a foot inside Madison's 20 yard line, less than 2 minutes to go. WF gets cute and runs a pitch, not a good call. I love Asante but he runs better north and south. WF loses about 10 yards on the play, settles for FG attempt and misses. Madison has all 3 timeouts and an opportunity to now win the game. Of course it turned out for WF but they certainly could have blown it with that play call.

I can see both these teams getting deep into the post season because they probably have two of the best defenses in the 6A North. It will be very interesting to see how both teams fair against Centreville. That game and West Potomac will be the tough games left for WF, probably what separates the Bulldogs from an undefeated season.

Posted by: intheno ()
Date: October 07, 2017 11:27AM

LB is on a roll!!!

I have been saying it all along, this new staff has done a great job with this team. Time and patience were all that was needed.

When they took over there was no discipline, no accountability and very little talent. They have coached and molded this team into a team that no one will want to play when the playoffs come around.

They have been getting very little credit, but, I think now you can see why people have been saying, this is the best staff in the state.

One Team One Heartbeat truly means something

Posted by: Dude? ()
Date: October 07, 2017 12:53PM

Yorktown, Oakton, Robinson....nothing of quality...but Sox sick and so does WS so we may have to listen to you a bit more

Posted by: Rebelman ()
Date: October 07, 2017 01:15PM

Last night, West Springfield beat Fairfax 46-14. Going in to the game, I thought this would be winnable for Fairfax, even though I thought West Springfield was the favorite. Based on what I saw last night, West Springfield is much better than I think people are giving them credit be for.

Fairfax played well for most of the first half. With WAS up 17-0, Fairfax drove down to the red zone. On third and ten from the 16,. We got a sack for a seven yard loss. Fairfax missed a 40 yard field goal attempt. Fairfax forced a punt on the next possession, and drove down to the WD 3, for first and goal. A pass into the endzone was picked off and returned 105 yards for a TD. Instead of a 17-7 halftime score, it was 24-0 at the half. It was pretty much over then

West Springfield has a running back that is an incredible weapon for them. #22. He's short, so he's really hard to tackle, and he is really fast. I look for them to make the playoffs, and I wouldn't sleep on them.

Posted by: Lb stuff ()
Date: October 07, 2017 04:53PM

LB had a lot of talent last year and should have won state. They lost a lot of talent for this year. 3-3 is a good start for them, however they should have beaten west po and maybe even Westfield. 7-3 with a couple playoff wins before losing to freedom in the 3rd round is my guesd

Posted by: Oakton dad ()
Date: October 07, 2017 07:23PM

An ambulance was called in the fourth quarter of the Oakton/Centreville game. One of Centreville's OL appeared to suffer a severe leg injury.

Does anyone have an update? I hope the young man is doing okay under the circumstances.

Good game for what it was worth. Centreville just has more playmakers.

Posted by: XKGT6 ()
Date: October 07, 2017 08:47PM

Lb stuff Wrote:
> LB had a lot of talent last year and should have
> won state. They lost a lot of talent for this
> year. 3-3 is a good start for them, however they
> should have beaten west po and maybe even
> Westfield. 7-3 with a couple playoff wins before
> losing to freedom in the 3rd round is my guesd

Are you drunk? LB was a contender last year, maybe, but only a long shot to win state. As for this year's LB-WF game, WF started 14 underclassmen, almost all in their first varsity game ever, and still won by 18. And if you were even at the game you would know it should not have been that close.

Given South County's recent struggles, I expect LB will finish 7-3. But unless LB has improved dramatically from their first game against WF they will probably go out in the second round, third round if they are lucky and the playoff matchups break out the correct way. They are NOT a good team this year.

Posted by: SoCoWTF ()
Date: October 07, 2017 09:09PM

Jesus just saw SoCo is 2-4 this season what happened? They’ve been averaging 8 wins a season last couple of years... time for Pannoni to go?

Posted by: ANyone ()
Date: October 07, 2017 09:19PM

TC beats West Potomac 14-8.

Posted by: LB Stuff ()
Date: October 07, 2017 10:42PM

> LB had a lot of talent last year and should have
> won state. They lost a lot of talent for this
> year. 3-3 is a good start for them, however they
> should have beaten west po and maybe even
> Westfield. 7-3 with a couple playoff wins before
> losing to freedom in the 3rd round is my guesd

Are you drunk? LB was a contender last year, maybe, but only a long shot to win state. As for this year's LB-WF game, WF started 14 underclassmen, almost all in their first varsity game ever, and still won by 18. And if you were even at the game you would know it should not have been that close.

Given South County's recent struggles, I expect LB will finish 7-3. But unless LB has improved dramatically from their first game against WF they will probably go out in the second round, third round if they are lucky and the playoff matchups break out the correct way. They are NOT a Good team this year

I disagree. They had multiple D1 players last year, and should have been able to win state. A lot of youth started that game for LB too. It went both ways. It just seems a though the players at LB have started to play together. And you're right it should have been closer. It was a winnable game. And my prediction was 3rd round. So we aren't far off on that

Posted by: Braddock watcher ()
Date: October 07, 2017 10:46PM

I think LB IS MUCH worse this year than they have been in a long time, but I think it's the talent and not the coaching. When was the last time they didn't have a D1 commit starting for them? It's been a long time. All I'm saying is I think the coaches have done just fine with what they have, and will go 7-3 ish, finish 9-4 overall. That's my guess. And I was a huge Poythress fan on the field, but I think the new staff is just as capable. With last years team and this years staff, I think they honestly would have beaten south lakes before falling to Westfield

Posted by: concerned lbparent ()
Date: October 07, 2017 11:56PM

Are you really kidding me? LB has more overall talent this year, then they have had in the recent past.

While they don't have an Adkins, Adkins and Park were the D1 players on last years team.Only Adkins made a difference. Park was recruited because of his size and was an ok player, Methany was better, but didn't have the size.

The overall talent is much better, look at what they have this year in skill players on offense, Methany, James, Hanifi, Cobb Weidenger, Schulte and a returning QB in Darcy.

On defense McLean, Obrien, Ahearn, Hurley, Altman add Methany, Hanifi and Cobb.

Don't blame the players not having enough talent for poor coaching. This staff makes all the excuses in the world about not having any talent, kids don't have discipline or accountability, just coach the players and stop making excuses.

Posted by: cavs4eva ()
Date: October 08, 2017 12:06AM

Woodson beat SOCo last night 29-21.

Braddock plays Woodson this week for homecoming. How funny would it be to see Woodson beat Braddock and their old coaching staff on homecoming?

How do you like us now Doc? LOL

Posted by: Lb parent as well ()
Date: October 08, 2017 12:33PM

They had all those players at LB last year, plus Lamont and the whole fantastic O-Line. You're eating the coaches but I think they've done a fantastic job. They aren't making excuses they're just coaching ball. I'm not saying that my sons coaches are the best in the state or anything all I'm saying is that they're people who are working hard to coach, and to change the culture of the program in a more positive way. Monitoring my kids grades has helped him a lot. They're making our kids better young men instead of cussing at them and only paying attention to the starters. My son does not play much but he feels all the coaches truly care about him. As a parent, that's the biggest thing I can ask for. No, the players overall are not as talent as last year, but they are still talented. However, while they should have beat westpo, there wasn't a chance for stone bridge and Westfield would have been incredibly difficult.
That's all I have to say about it

Posted by: reginwatcher ()
Date: October 08, 2017 02:05PM

LB has talent, they have talented players every year. This year is no different.

A school of that size with that many students, should be contending for a state title in football every year. If you think different, then you are fooling yourself. For the last 7-8 years they have been a top 5 team in the state.

You can say all this stuff about making the players better young men, accountable and all that, but bottom line is, if you don't win, parents will be all over the coaching staff. See previous threads when they were 0-3.

They are not even close to being the best staff in the state, they aren't even the best staff in their conference or the region. Win some games of meaning then people will respect you.

Posted by: Ugh - Fairfax Football WAY Down ()
Date: October 10, 2017 12:10AM

Good thing Westfield is not in Potomac Conference this year, as they would likely finish 4th! Seriously. Stone Bridge, Broad Run, and Tuscarora would all beat them handily, despite each having about a thousand less kids walking their hallways.

And that is assuming that they could beat John Champe, who thumped Centerville. Otherwise they finish 5th!

Posted by: 7nvuj ()
Date: October 10, 2017 07:08AM

Ugh - Fairfax Football WAY Down Wrote:
> despite each having
> about a thousand less kids walking their
> hallways.

What exactly does that have to do with anything? As has been pointed out a myriad number of times - student attendance at a high school really doesn't have a heck of lot to do with how good an athletic program is. It is one small factor out of many. Misinformed comments like that are nothing more than an attempt to discredit any success achieved by large schools.

Posted by: trouble with counting ()
Date: October 10, 2017 09:29AM

LB aint much bigger than the other ffx schools. in fact westfield, ffx and robinson are all bigger. makes no difference. westfield is better and Fairfax worse, robinson roughly the same. Just like with YOUR girlfriend - size isnt the limiting factor.

Posted by: You must be a homer. ()
Date: October 10, 2017 10:42AM

> Good thing Westfield is not in Potomac Conference
> this year, as they would likely finish 4th!
> Seriously. Stone Bridge, Broad Run, and Tuscarora
> would all beat them handily, despite each having
> hallways.
>
> And that is assuming that they could beat John
> Champe, who thumped Centerville. Otherwise they
> finish 5th!

GTFO with that crap. WHS gave up only 6pts to MHS. The score should’ve been more lopsided if not for a couple of bad calls and curious play calls. It would be a much closer game if they played this year with WHS winning a nail biter because they know how to win close games. Rest of your Potomac conf is straight doodoo

Posted by: 3ydt6 ()
Date: October 10, 2017 11:28AM

trouble with counting Wrote:
> LB aint much bigger than the other ffx schools. in
> fact westfield, ffx and robinson are all bigger.
> makes no difference. westfield is better and
> Fairfax worse, robinson roughly the same. Just
> like with YOUR girlfriend - size isnt the limiting
> factor.
Attachments:
Top 20.jpg

Posted by: Win States first ()
Date: October 10, 2017 01:46PM

> Good thing Westfield is not in Potomac Conference
> this year, as they would likely finish 4th!
> Seriously. Stone Bridge, Broad Run, and Tuscarora
> would all beat them handily, despite each having
> hallways.
>
> And that is assuming that they could beat John
> Champe, who thumped Centerville. Otherwise they
> finish 5th!

Before trashing FFXCO teams why don’t you LOCO marks worry about winning the only game that matters, you know the one that’s played at the end of the year instead of losing to HS back to back years. See that’s the diff between WHS & SB, they win the games that matter most not lose to same team back to back. Dumbass! Also JC has been exposed to be a fraud same with Tusc.

Posted by: hjmtt ()
Date: October 10, 2017 03:08PM

Westfield would be right in the mix in the Potomac District. True, most teams Fairfax teams would not. So not sure if you are talking about Fairfax in general or Westfield in particular.

Potomac District is no doubt strongest district in the VHSL. But as always the defenses of most of the Potomac teams are suspect and probably won't stop anyone come playoff time so it will be the usual race to who scores 50 points first. Westfield's defense is better than any in the Potomac except maybe Stone Bridge. But then again Stone Bridge has a damn good team this season.

Posted by: Westfield today, tomorrow, 4ever ()
Date: October 10, 2017 03:41PM

hjmtt Wrote:
> Westfield would be right in the mix in the Potomac
> District. True, most teams Fairfax teams would
> not. So not sure if you are talking about Fairfax
> in general or Westfield in particular.
>
> Potomac District is no doubt strongest district in
> the VHSL. But as always the defenses of most of
> the Potomac teams are suspect and probably won't
> stop anyone come playoff time so it will be the
> usual race to who scores 50 points first.
> Westfield's defense is better than any in the
> Potomac except maybe Stone Bridge. But then again
> Stone Bridge has a damn good team this season.

Negatory there good buddy. Westfield would mop the floor with Stone Bridge. Don't buy into the hype the loco's are trying to peddle. Westfield could hang with some D1 college teams.

Posted by: I believe ()
Date: October 10, 2017 04:02PM

I can see Westfield beating some NFL teams too like the Browns

Posted by: Hammer it Home ()
Date: October 10, 2017 04:29PM

Westfield today, tomorrow, 4ever Wrote:
Westfield could hang with some D1 college teams.

Um, do you really believe this? I certainly hope not. You guys are talking about which HS NOVA team is the best. Move this topic to include only DC and MD teams, and neither SB or WF is even in the discussion. College teams? Really?

Date: October 10, 2017 05:21PM

Hammer it Home Wrote:
> Westfield today, tomorrow, 4ever Wrote:
> -----
> Westfield could hang with some D1 college
> teams.
>
> Um, do you really believe this? I certainly hope
> not. You guys are talking about which HS NOVA
> team is the best. Move this topic to include only
> DC and MD teams, and neither SB or WF is even in
> the discussion. College teams? Really?

No, he doesn't believe this because it's not true. This is the same troll who poses using Westfield followers names and makes statements over and above all reality.

Just a troll getting his daily feed on, that's all!

Posted by: PUPTT ()
Date: October 10, 2017 05:22PM

Hammer it Home Wrote:
> Westfield today, tomorrow, 4ever Wrote:
> -----
> Westfield could hang with some D1 college
> teams.
>
> Um, do you really believe this? I certainly hope
> not. You guys are talking about which HS NOVA
> team is the best. Move this topic to include only
> DC and MD teams, and neither SB or WF is even in
> the discussion. College teams? Really?

WHS can beat any DC or MD non-private school, based on how they have beaten the best Beach team past 2 yrs & experience in playing against them every pre-season ,can’t be so confident about SB. Their coach would probably pull another boneheaded move and go for it inside their on 40 on 4th & 5 with the lead and lose all momentum after getting stuffed and go on to lose the game.

Posted by: westfieldfootballhistorian ()
Date: October 10, 2017 07:05PM

hjmtt Wrote:
> Potomac District is no doubt strongest district in
> the VHSL. But as always the defenses of most of
> the Potomac teams are suspect and probably won't
> stop anyone come playoff time so it will be the
> usual race to who scores 50 points first.
> Westfield's defense is better than any in the
> Potomac except maybe Stone Bridge.

Over the 2015 and 2016 playoff games Stone Bridge allowed an average of 24 points per playoff game, Broad Run 25 points per playoff game and Tuscarora 36 points per playoff game. Westfield gave up an average of 15 points per playoff game - and that's skewed by 5 overtimes.

Posted by: Uh...Huh ()
Date: October 10, 2017 10:24PM

...and last week Westfield scored a huge total of 10 pts.

Good luck beating Stone Bridge with that offensive juggernaut...jeez, Chantilly can beat you if you pitch that turd again..

Posted by: VA Beach rules 5A ()
Date: October 11, 2017 06:06AM

Highland Springs checking in to say we are so happy that SB is the best 5A to rep the North because you guys have the dumbest coaching staff and that will ensure we beat you for the 3rd straight year. We are so happy that Westfields is not in our division because their coaching staff actually knows what they’re doing and we may not have won back to back titles against them. Sucks to be SB!

Posted by: PW Football ()
Date: October 11, 2017 08:50PM

I know this is a Fairfax football site but Freedom looks like a serious contender for 6A states this year

Posted by: Ehhhhhh ()
Date: October 12, 2017 09:12AM

PW Football Wrote:
> I know this is a Fairfax football site but Freedom
> looks like a serious contender for 6A states this
> year

Honestly, they do look good and I would like to see new teams in the fray, but I don't see them taking on powerhouses or making marginal wins indicative of playoff readiness. Their best win is against Hylton, which is impressive, but they just haven't had a difficult schedule.

Posted by: Uh...Huh... ()
Date: October 13, 2017 08:23PM

James Madison taking out their frustration after last week's tough loss on Chantilly...49-7 at the half...playing well down their depth chart in the 1st Quarter....

Posted by: J47FG ()
Date: October 13, 2017 09:48PM

Final score:

Thomas Jefferson 19
Northern Virginia Kings 7

Posted by: tjfb ()
Date: October 13, 2017 09:49PM

we won

Posted by: Slepper ()
Date: October 13, 2017 11:33PM

Ehhhhhh Wrote:
> PW Football Wrote:
> -----
> > I know this is a Fairfax football site but
> Freedom
> > looks like a serious contender for 6A states
> this
> > year
>
> Honestly, they do look good and I would like to
> see new teams in the fray, but I don't see them
> taking on powerhouses or making marginal wins
> indicative of playoff readiness. Their best win is
> against Hylton, which is impressive, but they just
> haven't had a difficult schedule.

Let's make that two huge wins, they beat undeafted Woodbridge

Posted by: lbreally ()
Date: October 14, 2017 12:50AM

i dont think so. he lost the locker room by week 2 and lost more games than coach p had in 2 years by week 3. they are good running from side to side though

Posted by: Round of Applause ()
Date: October 14, 2017 08:20AM

Thomas Jefferson has won a game!

I think we can give a quick nod of congratulation. And, I'm curious their opponent (Northern VIrignia Kings) is that like a club team or something? I can't really find anything on them.

Posted by: Bxh ()
Date: October 14, 2017 08:45AM

Northern Virginia Kings is a homeschool team, so obviously a bunch of social awkward losers.

Posted by: YTYYY ()
Date: October 14, 2017 11:27AM

Round of Applause Wrote:

> I'm curious their opponent (Northern VIrignia
> Kings) is that like a club team or something? I
> can't really find anything on them.

There's this really cool new website at www.google.com, if you go to that site and type in Northern Virginia Kings the first return is: https://www.kingsfootball.org/ and that site tells you more than you would ever want to know.

Posted by: Don't bogart that.... ()
Date: October 14, 2017 12:21PM

YTYYY Wrote:
> There's this really cool new website at
> www.google.com, if you go to that site and type in
> Northern Virginia Kings the first return is:
> https://www.kingsfootball.org/ and that site tells
> you more than you would ever want to know.

No man. Google's been around for a long time. Are you new to the Internet or sumting?

Pages: PreviousFirst...345678910111213All...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 14

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.