HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pool thoughts backyard and prices
Posted by: Pool or not to pool ()
Date: May 23, 2017 01:53PM

Would like to put a in ground pool in our backyard. Anyone have positive or negative feedback? We do not consider this our forever home and would like to sell in 10 years but have two preteens and think it would provide "safe" place for them and friends instead of out and about when teens. What did you pay for your pool? Not looking for a resort... Simple kidney shape pool but deep enough for small diving board. What is your yearly cost?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pool thoughts backyard and prices
Posted by: dsffjsdkfj ()
Date: May 23, 2017 02:09PM

Watch out for those horse fly things. The sting hurts like a son of a bitch.

Posted by: Horseflies bite, not sting ()
Date: May 23, 2017 02:14PM

It's the shoeflies you gotta worry about!

Posted by: thorty bob ()
Date: May 23, 2017 02:18PM

Haha my buddy in MD has one and he uses his for the exact scene you describe for his girls. One of the many benefits is that he gets to ogle his high school daughters' friends so that there's that hidden benefit. But also him and his wife are rolling so the cost to them is negligible.

Posted by: Burke Pool Guy ()
Date: May 23, 2017 02:18PM

I have an exact pool you describe.

It came with my home when I bought it about seven years ago. I have no idea what it would cost new. Four years ago it was a net negative on an appraisal. Last year it was a $+15K.

Biggest cost is electricity for the pump/filter. Chemicals are somewhat costly but look on line/amazon. Much cheaper than local stores. I just use dipsticks to judge chemicals. If your start up person does it right and weather is normal it's pretty easy and my back yard is very wooded. pH is very important for chemicals to work. I would stay away from the in store water analyzers.

Start up/closing is about $300-400 each time. I maintain from there.

Posted by: sdfsdfsdf ()
Date: May 23, 2017 02:19PM

thorty bob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> of the many benefits is that he gets to ogle his
> high school daughters' friends

Careful now, remember the C-ville Batmobile man who was caught putting a camera in the changing room by his pool to tape his daughters changing into their suits.

Posted by: Benefits and Hidden Costs ()
Date: May 23, 2017 08:10PM

We had an in ground in pool in our previous house. Not sure if you have a fence but you'll need one per county rules. It's also an insurance issue (be sure you are out there with your kids and their friends at all times) and our pool liner was a pain in the behind. Not sure if it was an error on the install but the first one didn't last long.

On the upside we had our kids and their friends at our house more often and got to know their friends that way. It's also great exercise for parents.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: May 23, 2017 08:40PM

I know two families who bought houses with pools and paid to have them filled in a few years later. They were too much hassle, expense, and worry, plus of course that's a huge piece of the yard that's not usable for anything yard-ish (nor does it need mowing, mind you).

Just a couple of data points...

Posted by: pool owner ()
Date: May 23, 2017 08:52PM

I have a bigger pool approx 20'x40' and chemicals are approx $200 -$300, which I find are cheapest at Costco, except algaecide. The electricity is maybe $50-$75 per month. It makes a nice setting for pool parties, which increases entertaining expenses.

There are other expenses like poles, nets, cover, etc. Opening and closing it could cost $200 and up each time if you hire someone, but you can do it yourself.

Posted by: MNUT4 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 10:02PM

I knew 3 kids in my HS that had pools. Two of them their parents filled in the pool because of how much of a pain / expense it was to keep it up, and the third hated having a pool because people that didn't even like him & that he didn't even like dropped by all summer long expecting to use his pool.

Posted by: PHLMJ ()
Date: May 23, 2017 10:33PM

Cost is probably in the $50k range. Add in a heater, fencing, patio/pool furniture, landscaping, lighting, covers, hardscape and you can close easily be close to $75k.

Kidney shaped pool is almost impossible for an automatic cover to be used on. Automatic pool covers keep the pool much cleaner and warmer.

As for maintaining the pool, it is very easy. Most just use chlorine tablets, but if the chemistry gets screwed up, you could have your hands full.

No need to pay a weekly service, they are useless and just over cholorinate the pool and tell you that the pump needs to run 24 hours a day, which is not needed.

I set up pools to have the pump run about 8 hours a day and the Polaris runs about 4 hours in the morning.

Just realize if you have a pool, you need to keep a VERY close eye on anyone that comes over to visit that has young children, you DO NOT want a drowning on YOUR pool.

Also everyone will come over and drink all your booze and dirty all your towels.

A bathroom nearby with hard flooring, preferably tile/stone should be nearby otherwise people will drip all over your floor getting to an from the bathroom/changing area.

Posted by: 3rd pool is the charm ()
Date: May 23, 2017 10:46PM

don't buy a pool from maryland pools...they truly suck and since daddy is on BB, they have a great fake rating...

first pool was concrete from Anthony and not too bad to maintain.
second pool from Maryland (pthooie!) was around 50k and much tougher to maintain.

get a vinyl pool and it will cost less including chemicals and if you replace the vinyl before you move, it will look brand new..

also, some of the new skimmer do an amazing job of circulating the water along the bottom, then the top, right into the skimmer....will be getting those on third pool.

Posted by: Pest Ctl ()
Date: May 24, 2017 11:08AM

A pool is a great attraction for insects, lizards, frogs and mice, which in turn attract snakes. Add the constant maintenance hassles and liability, and it's a lose-lose-lose proposition.

Posted by: mjjbh ()
Date: May 26, 2017 09:19PM

Pool or not to pool Wrote:
> Would like to put a in ground pool in our
> backyard. Anyone have positive or negative
> feedback? We do not consider this our forever home
> and would like to sell in 10 years but have two
> preteens and think it would provide "safe" place
> for them and friends instead of out and about when
> teens. What did you pay for your pool? Not looking
> for a resort... Simple kidney shape pool but deep
> enough for small diving board. What is your yearly
> cost?

i wanted to make one by hand when i was young

dad said "no"

life would be so sweet sitting next to the pool were he not aimed at ruining life for other people

-----------------------------

if your using mexicans and taxpayer money to build the pool fuck off: the answer is NO

Posted by: etcd7 ()
Date: May 26, 2017 09:23PM

PHLMJ Wrote:
> Cost is probably in the $50k range. Add in a
> heater, fencing, patio/pool furniture,
> landscaping, lighting, covers, hardscape and you
> can close easily be close to $75k.
>

i was going to say: fence required for "fatal attraction by small children" by law

continual maintenance costs

they have to be "rebuilt" (re-faced) when the (concrete) begins chipping

they are not a little cost - i read an article by a doctor who re-did his own because they are so expensive

SO I ASSUME YOUR MORE WEALTHY THAN A LESS WEALTHY GENERAL PRACTITIONER OR A HARD WORKING STUD

AM I RIGHT?

Posted by: 373he ()
Date: May 26, 2017 09:24PM

fac0eb125a12fcd703c034d52dcdd9d0.jpg

Posted by: ejwbt ()
Date: May 26, 2017 09:28PM

f2a18de6-ac22-45e0-ab73-6450271a1d5d.jpg

don't forget that women prefer long poles and dolphin boards !

Posted by: 3ejhc ()
Date: May 26, 2017 09:30PM

article-2543677-1ADBB18D00000578-263_306

don't make it splendid, make it spectacular !

Posted by: Sabrina ()
Date: February 06, 2020 04:24AM

My backyard pool is the biggest pain I have right now. It costed almost 40k to make it, plus all accessories and maintenance. Now, my bill for electricity is much higher and half of my salary I spend on chemicals. Thanks God, after reading some reviews on littlerobotshop.com, I found the best robotic pool cleaner, which spares me of cleaning it manually. In spite of the headache I have, my family enjoy having parties and fun on the pool. They are really thankful to me and it motivates me to make all their dreams to come true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 02:17AM by Sabrina.

Posted by: Nice above ground ()
Date: February 06, 2020 06:07AM

Get a $1100 above ground pool on clearance for $500-$600.
Build a decent deck around it.
When you move, post an ad on cl and some hoarder will dismantle it.
Above ground=way too much $$$, and kids grow up fast.
I’ve had both and I prefer the above ground.

Posted by: smoking in the rain ()
Date: February 06, 2020 02:20PM

It would probably be cheaper to pay a teen to drive your kids or get ubers to and from the local club pool. Unless they been on swim and dive and crew team since young, they will tire of it eventually and you are not out any extra money. Like the kid who wants to play trumpet this year, drums the next, guitar the next....RENT IT unless you see them holding on to the hobby for YEARS and they getting a college scholarship in the end. Rent a private pool for a few hours for parties i have seen that done. Still cheaper in the end for trying to maintain a 50k liability.

It's like buying a porsche panamera sedan when a honda accord fully loaded 1/3 of the price gets you there just as safe, if not as fast.

but hey if you like to blow money on aquatics, do you!

Posted by: This guy^^^^ ()
Date: February 06, 2020 05:38PM

Really good advice about the pool.
Also, you don’t want to be the neighborhood pool for deadbeat neighborhood kids.
Those are the smart parents-your kids goto neighbors pool.

Posted by: Woodsy Owl ()
Date: February 06, 2020 05:54PM

Bottom of pool will be covered with dead daddy long leg spiders and toads. Who wants to swim in that?!

Posted by: Never own one again ()
Date: February 06, 2020 05:59PM

Sabrina Wrote:
> My backyard pool is the biggest pain I have right
> now. It costed almost 40k to make it, plus all
> accessories and maintenance. Now, my bill for
> electricity is much higher and half of my salary I
> spend on chemicals. Thanks God, after reading some
> reviews on littlerobotshop.com, I found the
> [url=http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/
> 2/2564923/2564947.html]best robotic pool
> cleaner[/url], which spares me of cleaning it
> manually. In spite of the headache I have, my
> family enjoy having parties and fun on the pool.
> They are really thankful to me and it motivates me
> to make all their dreams to come true.

Their biggest dream is for you to go back to school and learn English. Your grammar is atrocious. I'm guessing half your salary is not very much in the grand scheme of things.

Posted by: MNUT4 ()
Date: February 06, 2020 10:12PM

MNUT4 Wrote:
> I knew 3 kids in my HS that had pools. Two of them
> their parents filled in the pool because of how
> much of a pain / expense it was to keep it up, and
> the third hated having a pool because people that
> didn't even like him & that he didn't even like
> dropped by all summer long expecting to use his
> pool.

Posted by: GlicerinEBAG ()
Date: February 07, 2020 02:22AM

Sabrina Wrote:
> My backyard pool is the biggest pain I have right now. It costed almost 40k to make it, plus all accessories and maintenance. Now, my bill for electricity is much higher and half of my salary I spend on chemicals. Thanks God, after reading some reviews on littlerobotshop.com, I found the best robotic pool cleaner, which spares me of cleaning it manually. In spite of the headache I have, my family enjoy having parties and fun on the pool. They are really thankful to me and it motivates me to make all their dreams to come true.

I know, a pool in the backyard is like a pain in the ass but the love for our kids is stronger, and we're able to do a lot for their happiness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 02:27AM by GlicerinEBAG.

Posted by: Michael1987mq ()
Date: May 29, 2020 01:55PM

When our family has started rebuilding some parts of our house, we also wanted to make something new at our backyard, and yes we've installed a pool. And for the pool there was a requirement to lay an artificial grass, so we simply have chosen the best one from here ( website: https://bestyardproducts.com/best-artificial-grass/ ), and spend three weeks for that. I mean for making the pool. Artificial grass is pretty easy to lay down.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.