HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS Hiring Practices are Called Racist
Posted by: FCPS Guy... ()
Date: May 04, 2017 04:25PM

Just sent out by the Post...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/black-teacher-applicants-face-discrimination-in-a-wealthy-school-district-study-finds/2017/05/04/ea192b50-2a90-11e7-a616-d7c8a68c1a66_story.html?utm_term=.2352798bf6c2&wpisrc=nl_buzz&wpmm=1

Black applicants for teaching positions in a large and highly regarded suburban school system were far less likely than white candidates to get job offers during one recent school year even though they had on average more advanced degrees and teaching experience, George Mason University researchers have concluded in a new study.

The GMU researchers did not identify the school system in their article in the spring issue of Harvard Educational Review. But current and former officials in Fairfax County Public Schools confirmed the subject of the study is that 188,000-student district, the largest in the Washington region, known nationally as an academic powerhouse.

The study asserts that racial bias in hiring may be contributing to the persistent dearth of black teachers in public education, a problem that has long been pinned on a lack of qualified applicants and interest. The imbalance can have tangible effects in the classroom. Other researchers have found that black students from low-income families are more likely to graduate if they have at least one black teacher and that black teachers are more likely to identify gifted students of color.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS Hiring Practices are Called Racist
Posted by: analyzinganalyst ()
Date: May 04, 2017 04:54PM

...black students from low-income families are more likely to graduate if they have at least one black teacher and that black teachers are more likely to identify gifted students of color.

...when black applicants did get job offers, they were more likely to end up in schools with large populations of minority students... They said it was evidence of “workforce segregation.”

????????

Posted by: FCPS Worker ()
Date: May 04, 2017 05:22PM

Zero black teachers at our school. Zip. Nada. It's honestly terrible when our student diversity is significant but that is not reciprocal in terms of teachers.

Posted by: Former rebel ()
Date: May 04, 2017 05:36PM

I graduate from Fairfax High. I don't remember having an African American teacher at the elementary school level or even Middle School level. High School was the first time I had AA teachers it was cool. they were cool and they were better than the white teachers. MR. THomas was MY MAN MY NIGGA.

Posted by: sjw insanity ()
Date: May 04, 2017 11:40PM

liberals have a love the race, hate the man attitude...total fucking hypocrites and glad this is exposing it...

conservatives agree with MLK...judge a man by his character not his skin color...

Posted by: fkbn11 ()
Date: May 04, 2017 11:42PM

The reality is that black people lack the ‘power’ to affect the lives of white people as a group. Black people’s feelings towards white people do not preclude a white person’s ability to get a loan, receive fair treatment by the justice system, acquire education, etc. This then is racism. It is the belief that people differ along biological and genetic lines and that one’s own group is superior to another group. This belief is coupled with the power to negatively effect the lives of those perceived to be inferior. America’s history is inextricably bound to this racist ideology.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: May 04, 2017 11:43PM

FCPS Guy... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just sent out by the Post...
>
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/bla
> ck-teacher-applicants-face-discrimination-in-a-wea
> lthy-school-district-study-finds/2017/05/04/ea192b
> 50-2a90-11e7-a616-d7c8a68c1a66_story.html?utm_term
> =.2352798bf6c2&wpisrc=nl_buzz&wpmm=1
>
>
> Black applicants for teaching positions in a large
> and highly regarded suburban school system were
> far less likely than white candidates to get job
> offers during one recent school year even though
> they had on average more advanced degrees and
> teaching experience, George Mason University
> researchers have concluded in a new study.
>
> The GMU researchers did not identify the school
> system in their article in the spring issue of
> Harvard Educational Review. But current and former
> officials in Fairfax County Public Schools
> confirmed the subject of the study is that
> 188,000-student district, the largest in the
> Washington region, known nationally as an academic
> powerhouse.
>
> The study asserts that racial bias in hiring may
> be contributing to the persistent dearth of black
> teachers in public education, a problem that has
> long been pinned on a lack of qualified applicants
> and interest. The imbalance can have tangible
> effects in the classroom. Other researchers have
> found that black students from low-income families
> are more likely to graduate if they have at least
> one black teacher and that black teachers are more
> likely to identify gifted students of color.

Thats crazy

Posted by: Soros is your master ()
Date: May 04, 2017 11:49PM

guarantee that all bezos companies (washington post, amazon) are racist to the bone...more hate the man, love the race lying hypocrisy from the sjw pc crowd just like the mold of their bankster tool master soros

Fox News Wrote:
> FCPS Guy... Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just sent out by the Post...
> >
> >
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/bla
>
> >
> ck-teacher-applicants-face-discrimination-in-a-wea
>
> >
> lthy-school-district-study-finds/2017/05/04/ea192b
>
> >
> 50-2a90-11e7-a616-d7c8a68c1a66_story.html?utm_term
>
> > =.2352798bf6c2&wpisrc=nl_buzz&wpmm=1
> >
> >
> > Black applicants for teaching positions in a
> large
> > and highly regarded suburban school system were
> > far less likely than white candidates to get
> job
> > offers during one recent school year even
> though
> > they had on average more advanced degrees and
> > teaching experience, George Mason University
> > researchers have concluded in a new study.
> >
> > The GMU researchers did not identify the school
> > system in their article in the spring issue of
> > Harvard Educational Review. But current and
> former
> > officials in Fairfax County Public Schools
> > confirmed the subject of the study is that
> > 188,000-student district, the largest in the
> > Washington region, known nationally as an
> academic
> > powerhouse.
> >
> > The study asserts that racial bias in hiring
> may
> > be contributing to the persistent dearth of
> black
> > teachers in public education, a problem that
> has
> > long been pinned on a lack of qualified
> applicants
> > and interest. The imbalance can have tangible
> > effects in the classroom. Other researchers
> have
> > found that black students from low-income
> families
> > are more likely to graduate if they have at
> least
> > one black teacher and that black teachers are
> more
> > likely to identify gifted students of color.
>
>
> Thats crazy

Posted by: Theodeus Watson ()
Date: May 05, 2017 12:22AM

I gots me a deegree frum UDC and they done won't hires me. SheeItMoFo!!

Posted by: study is flawe ()
Date: May 05, 2017 07:11AM

The study is flawed.

The real problem is that the teacher licensing exams are a significant barrier to entry to blacks entering the teaching profession.

The high quality ed schools cannot practice nearly enough affirmative action as they would like (unlike, for example, law schools, which only care so much about bar pass rates when weighed against their diversity goals). The Dept of Ed assesses those pass rates, so the ed schools must self select or weed out candidates who will not pass. Not all schools play (some HBCU's and tuition hogs), but there are not many, and even then, those who don't play must be careful in managing their statistics. Teachers are the peasants of the intelligentsia class, and the test thresholds are set under the guise that teachers of our children must be intelligent (115 IQ or so or higher), and those thresholds make it difficult to have a sufficient size of black teachers. There is an oversupply of qualified white teachers, although there are shortages in areas, particularly where students are challenging to teach. Of course, invariably some will point to calling this out as racist, but there are indeed lawsuits in many areas of the country over the fact that the thresholds are biased.

And the litigants may have a point. Do you really need the equivalent of an 1150 math and verbal tester (about what it takes to get through what used to be considered a solid college education) to teach K-3? At that level, the ability to relate to children may be more important than raw cognitive ability. (Teaching a rigorous AP course in high school? One may come to a different conclusion).

In any event, studies proclaiming discrimination are questionable when the entire pipeline is constrained due to the educrats' (including the Dept of Education) policies. Most people avoid the examining the second order effects of the large administrative state, and that is what happening here. Because of course, everyone should be in favor of high cognitive ability teachers, right, and it is anathema to think otherwise.

Posted by: Jerome j ()
Date: May 05, 2017 07:27AM

Dey be so raciss fo not hirin me 2 tech inglish! Fuk doz crackas!

Posted by: metalhead ()
Date: May 05, 2017 08:20AM

I wonder what percentage of teachers in pg county are white? Or DC public schools for that matter...
Oh that's right, the Washington post doesn't care about whitey...

Date: May 05, 2017 08:23AM

sjw insanity Wrote:
> liberals have a love the race, hate the man
> attitude...total fucking hypocrites and glad this
> is exposing it...
>
> conservatives agree with MLK...judge a man by his
> character not his skin color...

Agreed. I'm sure someone of the caliber of Dr. Ben Carson would have zero difficulty finding a teaching job in fcps...

Date: May 05, 2017 08:29AM

FCPS Worker Wrote:
> Zero black teachers at our school. Zip. Nada. It's
> honestly terrible when our student diversity is
> significant but that is not reciprocal in terms of
> teachers.

So you believe that the teachers should reflect the demographics of the student body exactly? Should a teacher be forced to go to a different school because of "changing demographics"? With this logic, I guess black cops should be forced to work only along the route 1 corridor, Hispanic cops only in Herndon, and only white cops in clifton. It sounds utterly ridiculous doesn't it?

Posted by: FCPS Brother ()
Date: May 05, 2017 08:56AM

Hiring blacks is the solution to the Woodson suicide issue. Brothers ain't into offing themselves. It would rub off on the students.

Posted by: Hot4Teacher ()
Date: May 05, 2017 09:07AM

We don't have too many African-American teachers at my school. My trig teacher, though is African, from Cameroon. I haven't seen too many African ladies in their late 30s who are hot, but this one is ABSOLUTELY H-O-T! She's not married, either, which is real weird for African ladies that age.

My teacher has been having an affair with me since Sept. It started because I asked a question in class that should have been obvious, but I was hung over. She gave me the answer, and I let out something in French about how I should pay more attention (my mother's from Lafayette, La. and she's spoken French to me since I was a baby). The teacher heard it and told me to see her after school. We started having conversations in French, then 2 weeks later, I'm in her bed. It's been a wild ride, but I don't know what I'm going to do when school's out.

OK, I know about the hung over part, & you're supposed to be 21 to drink, but there's plenty of places where if you can say it and know what it costs, that's all the ID you need. The Chinese & Korean run stores hardly ever card you.

Posted by: NotFoolingMePh.D. ()
Date: May 05, 2017 09:16AM

And how many of those applicants ended up being truly "qualified" for the job? We know. And as everyone also knows even semi-qualified AA would have been hired. This study is another tedious example of race-baiting.

The conclusion of the study was already written. I have seen it over and over again in the private and public sector where the race card is used to falsely condemn a system, when, in fact, when one honestly looks at the facts, there is little race issues. AA Students and Professors are using this tiresome type of "study" to advance a political agenda and (AA) interest.

I've worked in (prestigious) college(s) admissions and public/private human resources. An AA can have 1/3 qualifications or score (or even less with other factors) and get admission or the job. These studies are not fooling anyone. Unfortunately these types of race-baiting "studies", anti-police/pro-criminal, blame the working non-AA (Whites, Asians and Hispanic) people for AA's lack of collective achievement. You can't be rewarded at the end of the race when you didn't train or really run it -- and that's what affirmative action has done for the last several decades. People are tired of it. It also makes AA professionals suspicious in the eyes of non-AA because of special treatment.

I used to be a fully supportive Democrat (I did vote for HRC, despite misgivings), and I am certainly not a Republican, but I understand why Trump won. Race-baiting on both sides. Now people will call me a racist. Guess what? I'm half-AA. SO are you the racist? All people have had their burdens over time. Please stop race-baiting! It's damaging our country.

Posted by: It's true ()
Date: May 05, 2017 11:31AM

Whoa! And that's from the Washington post, it can't be written off so easily by people who would deny it. Oh man this quote: "The district said the share of black administrators and teachers “is in-line with our black student population" " um, not where I work! We need FAR more to do that! And mine's was title one-low socioeconomic status (SES), the place where they said there are usually more black teachers - but we only had 1! It's so true, the discrimination, and tragic. And harmful for people, that want to help students, who are incredibly qualified and amazing at the job!

Posted by: CongratsFCPS ()
Date: May 05, 2017 02:36PM

It's true Wrote:
> Whoa! And that's from the Washington post, it
> can't be written off so easily by people who would
> deny it. Oh man this quote: "The district said the
> share of black administrators and teachers “is
> in-line with our black student population" " um,
> not where I work! We need FAR more to do that! And
> mine's was title one-low socioeconomic status
> (SES), the place where they said there are usually
> more black teachers - but we only had 1! It's so
> true, the discrimination, and tragic. And harmful
> for people, that want to help students, who are
> incredibly qualified and amazing at the job!

If they were minimally qualified, they would have gotten the job(s). There is SO MUCH pressure on hiring managers and organizations to hire blacks, and to avoid EEO litigation lotto, it's ridiculous. It has to stop.... Congrats to FCPS for NOT lowering your standards in order to hire unqualified teachers simply because they were blacks. The so-called study determined that these applicants were qualified with advanced degrees -- yes!? The best online unaccredited institutions, I bet. Kudos FCPS! And thank you for not caving into interest-based politics and instead hiring the best qualified to teach children.

Posted by: analyzinganalyst ()
Date: May 05, 2017 02:53PM

analyzinganalyst Wrote:
> ...black students from low-income families are
> more likely to graduate if they have at least one
> black teacher and that black teachers are more
> likely to identify gifted students of color.

>
> ...when black applicants did get job offers,
> they were more likely to end up in schools with
> large populations of minority students... They
> said it was evidence of “workforce
> segregation.”

>
> ????????

Still no comments about the dichotomy here? There is a claim that black students from low-income families benefit from black. And conversely it is asserted that putting black teachers in low-income minority schools is racist. What is the solution?

Posted by: tgb ()
Date: May 05, 2017 05:34PM

analyzinganalyst Wrote:
> analyzinganalyst Wrote:
> -----
> > ...black students from low-income families
> are
> > more likely to graduate if they have at least
> one
> > black teacher and that black teachers are more
> > likely to identify gifted students of
> color.

> >
> > ...when black applicants did get job offers,
> > they were more likely to end up in schools with
> > large populations of minority students... They
> > said it was evidence of “workforce
> > segregation.”

> >
> > ????????
>
> Still no comments about the dichotomy here? There
> is a claim that black students from low-income
> families benefit from black. And conversely it is
> asserted that putting black teachers in low-income
> minority schools is racist. What is the solution?

I pointed out the same on another discussion board and received no response. I think it's a good point.

Date: May 05, 2017 06:33PM

analyzinganalyst Wrote:
> analyzinganalyst Wrote:
> -----
> > ...black students from low-income families
> are
> > more likely to graduate if they have at least
> one
> > black teacher and that black teachers are more
> > likely to identify gifted students of
> color.

> >
> > ...when black applicants did get job offers,
> > they were more likely to end up in schools with
> > large populations of minority students... They
> > said it was evidence of “workforce
> > segregation.”

> >
> > ????????
>
> Still no comments about the dichotomy here? There
> is a claim that black students from low-income
> families benefit from black. And conversely it is
> asserted that putting black teachers in low-income
> minority schools is racist. What is the solution?

This is the total insanity of liberals. They say black kids need black teachers to succeed, but then they say it's racist to put the black teachers in minority majority schools...
Why not we just put qualified teachers in our public schools, problem solved...

Posted by: Edward Teach ()
Date: May 05, 2017 06:54PM

If a black kid needs a black teacher to succeed, why not succeed with black parents only?

The dependency on the government for education, rent, and food has taken over for personal responsibility in this country.

In my observations, black teachers, men in particular, do not last more than a year or two in minority majority schools. Why? I don't know.

Posted by: donald jay trump ()
Date: May 05, 2017 07:08PM

beat's me if its true or not, but i'm sure it drove lots of traffic to Jeff Bezo's blog!

Posted by: Niggers are stupid ()
Date: May 05, 2017 07:18PM

Attachments:
1490752427389.jpg
1484603082004.jpg

Posted by: Affirmative Action ()
Date: May 05, 2017 08:40PM

Any college degree held by a black was gifted, not earned, thanks to affirmative action, extra scoring for blacks, and the myriad programs to ensure blacks have their hands held all the way.

Posted by: ykdek ()
Date: May 05, 2017 09:06PM

FCPS has hired nothing but spics and niggas for labor for 30 or more years

FX CO GOV has hired practically no-one but spics and niggas for road work and water-run-off work for 30 years

FX CO GOV has even funded spic and nigga jobs to design housing buildings and gov buildings for minorities - employing people who don't even have residency in fx co or the state either

GTFO !!!

Date: May 05, 2017 09:07PM

You're dumb. The fact that 97% of our teachers are hand picked and white is concerning to me.

Posted by: 1 + 1 ()
Date: May 05, 2017 11:35PM

Top schools, few blacks. We've definitely got to change that!

Posted by: Cooper ()
Date: May 06, 2017 07:11AM

Had a Black math teacher in 8th grade, and I had to explain concepts of algebra to her several times. Kids need smart teachers, not diversity quotas.

Posted by: No Testing Allowed ()
Date: May 06, 2017 09:20AM

Did you ever wonder why Fairfax County Police and Fire are not allowed to administer tests as part of the hiring process?

Answer: The results are considered discriminatory.

Now you know.

Date: May 06, 2017 11:49AM

Once again, we need to look and see who is pushing this non-story; the liberal rag Washington post...
Leftists media outlets always look to rile people up based on race,gender,religion,etc.
The post had another race-baiting article a while back saying that although ffx co. is only around 9 to 10 percent black, 40 percent of Fairfax County police"use force" incidents were involving black suspects...
Now the post leaves out the fact that we have a sh*tload of blacks who come to ffx from PG, DC, Woodbridge to commit crimes...
Most reasonable people now see that the traditionally "trusted media outlets (NY times, wash post, NBC, CBS, etc.) are not trusted at all anymore...

Date: May 06, 2017 11:53AM

No Testing Allowed Wrote:
> Did you ever wonder why Fairfax County Police and
> Fire are not allowed to administer tests as part
> of the hiring process?
>
> Answer: The results are considered
> discriminatory.
>
> Now you know.

Yep. And the problem is liberals in society want it both ways. They claim they want more compitent police/firefighters, but only if they represent "the rainbow"...

Insanity.

Date: May 06, 2017 01:01PM

You guys know that principals hire elgible candidates, right? HR just makes sure that their licensure paperwork and background checks are in order.

Posted by: hvc87 ()
Date: May 07, 2017 12:59AM

If the shoe fits then it fits... I can show you better than what I can tell you that...Discrimination and racial inequality has been happening for years.

Date: May 07, 2017 01:19PM

hvc87 Wrote:
> If the shoe fits then it fits... I can show you
> better than what I can tell you
> that...Discrimination and racial inequality has
> been happening for years.

Can you elaborate on that. Please define "discrimination". Your statement sounds like a typical angry minority who gets pulled over for a cracked brake light at night, yells at the cop, then cries "racism" after being issued a ticket.

Date: May 07, 2017 01:27PM

FCPS Worker Wrote:
> You're dumb. The fact that 97% of our teachers are
> hand picked and white is concerning to me.

Do u want qualified teachers or just a "U N" staff of teachers?
What is this obsession with race?

Posted by: gayTeacher ()
Date: May 07, 2017 05:14PM

Yeah right. I'm a half-black, gay, trans-gender, trans-sexual, with a little bit of Native American, and illegal-immigrant in me and I'm a teacher in FCPS.

Posted by: reason speaks ()
Date: May 07, 2017 09:51PM

are you sure you won't reconsider your decisions ?

Attachments:
dchooker.jpg

Date: May 08, 2017 08:45AM

The posters on here who are crying "racism" by fcps give an actual example please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 08:45AM by metalhead.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: May 08, 2017 09:05AM

There's Affirmative Action. So, if blacks have low representation than the system is likely having trouble finding qualified applicants.

If FCPS was discriminating I think the Fed Govt would have been on them. The EEOC for example.

I would have to read the whole GM study to see if it is coming to legitimate conclusions. The generalization "even though they had on average more advanced degrees and teaching experience" isn't enough information. I'd want to see specifics.

When I attended FCPS I had many black teachers. The County govt was less liberal back then so the blacks hired were probably actually qualified. I would think the liberal FCPS would be bending over backwards trying to find qualified black teachers. If it isn't then it's led by a bunch of liberal hypocrites.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 09:27AM by phelpsmarc.

Date: May 08, 2017 09:18AM

Hot4Teacher Wrote:
> We don't have too many African-American teachers
> at my school. My trig teacher, though is African,
> from Cameroon. I haven't seen too many African
> ladies in their late 30s who are hot, but this one
> is ABSOLUTELY H-O-T! She's not married, either,
> which is real weird for African ladies that age.
>
>
> My teacher has been having an affair with me since
> Sept. It started because I asked a question in
> class that should have been obvious, but I was
> hung over. She gave me the answer, and I let out
> something in French about how I should pay more
> attention (my mother's from Lafayette, La. and
> she's spoken French to me since I was a baby).
> The teacher heard it and told me to see her after
> school. We started having conversations in
> French, then 2 weeks later, I'm in her bed. It's
> been a wild ride, but I don't know what I'm going
> to do when school's out.
>
> OK, I know about the hung over part, & you're
> supposed to be 21 to drink, but there's plenty of
> places where if you can say it and know what it
> costs, that's all the ID you need. The Chinese &
> Korean run stores hardly ever card you.

I'm sure this post is BS but, damn, it really sounds like a 17 yr old kid's writing style.

Posted by: does anyone remember ()
Date: May 08, 2017 09:21AM

When did FCPS start FLES program? That could affect the hiring.

Also, with the influx of ESOL students, there have to have been lots more ESOL teachers hired. HOw many of those were AA?

Date: May 08, 2017 09:30AM

study is flawe Wrote:
> The study is flawed.
>
> The real problem is that the teacher licensing
> exams are a significant barrier to entry to blacks
> entering the teaching profession.
>
> The high quality ed schools cannot practice nearly
> enough affirmative action as they would like
> (unlike, for example, law schools, which only care
> so much about bar pass rates when weighed against
> their diversity goals). The Dept of Ed assesses
> those pass rates, so the ed schools must self
> select or weed out candidates who will not pass.
> Not all schools play (some HBCU's and tuition
> hogs), but there are not many, and even then,
> those who don't play must be careful in managing
> their statistics. Teachers are the peasants of the
> intelligentsia class, and the test thresholds are
> set under the guise that teachers of our children
> must be intelligent (115 IQ or so or higher), and
> those thresholds make it difficult to have a
> sufficient size of black teachers. There is an
> oversupply of qualified white teachers, although
> there are shortages in areas, particularly where
> students are challenging to teach. Of course,
> invariably some will point to calling this out as
> racist, but there are indeed lawsuits in many
> areas of the country over the fact that the
> thresholds are biased.
>
> And the litigants may have a point. Do you really
> need the equivalent of an 1150 math and verbal
> tester (about what it takes to get through what
> used to be considered a solid college education)
> to teach K-3? At that level, the ability to
> relate to children may be more important than raw
> cognitive ability. (Teaching a rigorous AP course
> in high school? One may come to a different
> conclusion).
>
> In any event, studies proclaiming discrimination
> are questionable when the entire pipeline is
> constrained due to the educrats' (including the
> Dept of Education) policies. Most people avoid
> the examining the second order effects of the
> large administrative state, and that is what
> happening here. Because of course, everyone should
> be in favor of high cognitive ability teachers,
> right, and it is anathema to think otherwise.

My sister starting teachng in the early '80s and she said many prospective black teachers were failing the state licencing exam. And she said it was a very easy test.

I think you have hit on something. Maybe a high percentage of the applicants being rejected are from Historically Black Colleges, which do not weed out inferior teacher candidates.

BTW: I find it highly unlikely one needs an 1150 SAT (Verbal/Math) to get through a University Education Program and then pass the teacher qualification tests.

My sister graduated from the UVA School of Education with High Honors back in the '80's. She earned 980 on the SAT. She got into UVA because she had high grades in HS and UVA had quotas for females at the time, to try to balance the number of male and females at the University. She easily graduated and passed the Teacher Certification requirements.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 09:42AM by phelpsmarc.

Date: May 08, 2017 09:59AM

Niggers are stupid Wrote:
> ,

I'm not in favor of Affirmative Action, but you cannot generalize that "every" college degree earned by a black was gifted. There are many intelligent blacks. I do think that if Affirmative Action and quotas were done away with, the creme would rise to the top and the percentages of blacks passing the teacher qualification tests, for example, would rise greatly. You probably would have less applicants though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 10:00AM by phelpsmarc.

Date: May 08, 2017 10:06AM

It's true Wrote:
> Whoa! And that's from the Washington post, it
> can't be written off so easily by people who would
> deny it. Oh man this quote: "The district said the
> share of black administrators and teachers “is
> in-line with our black student population" " um,
> not where I work! We need FAR more to do that! And
> mine's was title one-low socioeconomic status
> (SES), the place where they said there are usually
> more black teachers - but we only had 1! It's so
> true, the discrimination, and tragic. And harmful
> for people, that want to help students, who are
> incredibly qualified and amazing at the job!

I don't know where to start. LOL.

Date: May 08, 2017 10:24AM

phelpsmarc Wrote:
> Niggers are stupid Wrote:
> -----
> > ,
>
>
> I'm not in favor of Affirmative Action, but you
> cannot generalize that "every" college degree
> earned by a black was gifted. There are many
> intelligent blacks. I do think that if Affirmative
> Action and quotas were done away with, the creme
> would rise to the top and the percentages of
> blacks passing the teacher qualification tests,
> for example, would rise greatly. You probably
> would have less applicants though

And most agree with your statement. If all afirmative action hiring practices were done away with, then people wouldn't "question" why certain people got the job. Let's be real, nobody questions seeing an Asian American principal or teacher, partly because everyone knows they got their job because of their qualifications and not their race...

Posted by: Been There FCPS ()
Date: May 08, 2017 11:28PM

I can tell you from seeing it first hand that race, gender, socioeconomic status, and even physical appearance (not talking about mohawks or piercings here) can play a role in whether or not someone is hired. Retention as well.

Posted by: Jimmy K. ()
Date: May 10, 2017 10:56PM

Been There FCPS Wrote:
> I can tell you from seeing it first hand that
> race, gender, socioeconomic status, and even
> physical appearance (not talking about mohawks or
> piercings here) can play a role in whether or not
> someone is hired. Retention as well.

They rejected you, huh fatty?

Date: May 11, 2017 08:29AM

Jimmy K. Wrote:
> Been There FCPS Wrote:
> -----
> > I can tell you from seeing it first hand that
> > race, gender, socioeconomic status, and even
> > physical appearance (not talking about mohawks
> or
> > piercings here) can play a role in whether or
> not
> > someone is hired. Retention as well.
>
> They rejected you, huh fatty?

Lol.
Look,i highly doubt any principal (male or female) want a bunch of pissed off teachers who look, sound, and act like Rosanne Barr circa 91'... Those folks can work at the dmv...

Posted by: I don't see it ()
Date: May 11, 2017 09:19AM

The entry level testing is based on scores, not on skin color or race or creed or religion or anything else! Stop with the race baiting nonsense!

Y'all niggas cray-zee!

Posted by: Been There FCPS ()
Date: May 11, 2017 06:05PM

So some of you guys aren't getting this. To be qualified for a teaching position you must be licensed. This allows you to be considered for employment when paired with a passing background check. Some administrators look through this qualified pool of candidates and pass on persons due to their own prejudices.

The other and forgotten half of employment is retention. Teaching at FCPS is not a gift. There is no real tenure here. Established teachers run on 3 year contracts. And if an administrator does not want you there based on their own prejudices (I don't like x people for y reason and never say it although it's very clear through a continued pattern of behavior, it's quite easy for them to work around those contracts.

Date: May 11, 2017 10:19PM

Been There FCPS Wrote:
> So some of you guys aren't getting this. To be
> qualified for a teaching position you must be
> licensed. This allows you to be considered for
> employment when paired with a passing background
> check. Some administrators look through this
> qualified pool of candidates and pass on persons
> due to their own prejudices.
>
> The other and forgotten half of employment is
> retention. Teaching at FCPS is not a gift. There
> is no real tenure here. Established teachers run
> on 3 year contracts. And if an administrator does
> not want you there based on their own prejudices
> (I don't like x people for y reason and never say
> it although it's very clear through a continued
> pattern of behavior, it's quite easy for them to
> work around those contracts.

Well that's true from the perspective that Virginia is a right to work state and not a union state. The same goes for working for a local sheriff's office like Loudoun county; working for a sheriff in Virginia is "at will" employment; if the sheriff doesn't like you he can fire you... if you want a "protected" cop/teacher job you have to work in a union state like new York or new jersey...

Posted by: Pot kettle ()
Date: May 11, 2017 11:18PM

Hypocritical, GMU. I have never seen a black student teacher from your university. Maybe the problem starts with you.

Posted by: Apples and oranges? ()
Date: May 12, 2017 07:19AM

Too many unanswered questions about this study.

The average experience could easily be raised by a couple of retired teachers from another state who applied. Same with degrees. If an Advanced degree was in something that did not support the job application, it could affect the hiring.
And, we do not know if the people with advanced degrees were not hired.

Are we comparing apples and oranges? Had the study been for general education elementary classroom teachers, it would be easier to see if there were bias or not. That would give you a substantial set to analyze without having so many caveats--i.e. other requirements like Special Education, foreign language fluency, etc. It also would eliminate the skew of hiring ESOL teachers and FLES--which was likely an influence in this study.

If there were a lot of teachers hired for ESOL that required a certificate in ESOL--were there just as many AA's who had those qualifications? Maybe so, but unless we see the data, we do not know.

Date: May 12, 2017 05:15PM

I'd also like to know how many people applied to be teachers in ffx during this alleged study. More importantly, how many black applicants were there in comparison to other racial groups? You can always slant a study if you don't use enough of a large sample size u can make the stats appear distorted.
Plus, is it possible, maybe, just maybe, most prospective black teachers in our area would rather teach in Montgomery or PG county md? Just a thought..

Posted by: Provost ()
Date: May 13, 2017 08:05AM

Pot kettle Wrote:
> Hypocritical, GMU. I have never seen a black
> student teacher from your university. Maybe the
> problem starts with you.

Like most universities, we are greatly expanding our Black Victim Studies program so that we can hire many Black faculty members qualified to do *something* while hitting our racial quotas.

Posted by: Black Teachers Alliance ()
Date: May 13, 2017 01:55PM

Virginia is a right to work state. We're all about rights. It's the work part that we can't accept.

Posted by: 2017 ()
Date: May 13, 2017 02:27PM

I'm not saying it's racist

but its racist

Posted by: NUNWT ()
Date: May 13, 2017 02:32PM

I went from K - 12 in Fairfax and only had one black teacher, in 8th grade GT Civics at Rocky Run.

Posted by: gfyx4 ()
Date: May 13, 2017 02:58PM

I went k-12 in fairfax and had ~10 black teachers

seems about right with blacks comprising ~13% of the population

Posted by: NUN9J ()
Date: May 13, 2017 06:46PM

Cooper Wrote:
> Had a Black math teacher in 8th grade, and I had
> to explain concepts of algebra to her several
> times. Kids need smart teachers, not diversity
> quotas.

Was this at Herndon Middle school? I had a very similar situation with an AA math teacher. She seemed to have a... shaky understanding of what she was attempting to teach. I remember I got to a point that I had to ask my mom to find a tutor because I did not feel I was learning math from this woman. I heard they eventually fired her, but I wasn't around to see if that was actually the case. The woman had no place teaching a math class.

I don't know what to think about that article. I had plenty of AA classmates that could write reasonably well (some better than me), but when it came to mathematics and science they all seemed to fall short of of the level we white, Asian, and Hispanic students were able to get to with relative ease.

That does read somewhat racist, but I can only go off of my experiences with my AA classmates and their failings with math and science. I only know of a handful of AA classmates that attempted college, and a fraction of that handful made it through. Barely.

Posted by: kvfyb ()
Date: May 13, 2017 06:48PM

Pot kettle Wrote:
> Hypocritical, GMU. I have never seen a black
> student teacher from your university. Maybe the
> problem starts with you.

I attended Mason. I heard they had black professors there, but I never saw one in any of the classes I took. Granted, I wasn't a humanities major.

Posted by: Nuttin Budda Troof ()
Date: May 15, 2017 11:08AM

The Good Ole' Boy -- and now Good Ole' Girl -- network is alive and well in FCPS HR hiring practices.

In order to even get a sniff at teaching/coaching positions at the "better" schools, you have to know somebody.

Therefore, the preferential treatment is accorded to:

(1) Sons and daughters of current/former teachers and administrators.
(2) Friends of current/former teachers and administrators.
(3) Former students of FCPS who apply at their former schools.

By and large, this preferential treatment restricts the potential diversity of the final selection pool.

Posted by: kojo naamdi show ()
Date: May 15, 2017 01:32PM

This was on the Kojo Naamdi show today, there was a white sounding caller who seemed to celebrate not being hired by FCPS as "The job was given to a more deserving hispanic male".

Do Asian kids really need asian teachers to succeed? Me thinks not.

Posted by: nigger scum cant read ()
Date: May 15, 2017 02:22PM

how the fuck could they teach ?

Posted by: TrumpWins ()
Date: May 24, 2017 01:08PM

I'm sure this goes on in Arlington and Alexandria as well.

Posted by: TrumpWins ()
Date: May 24, 2017 01:09PM

I'm sure this happens in Arlington County and Alexandria City as well

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.