HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Verizon in Fairfax
Posted by: Bill S ()
Date: April 26, 2017 01:30PM

I've watched Verizon do a few installs lately at some neighbors houses here in Fairfax and it's taking them 6 or 7 hours. Why so damn long?
And this is after lines were dug to the house already.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Verizon in Fairfax
Posted by: WeYjd ()
Date: April 26, 2017 01:53PM

Verizon installers are local contractors.
Guess why they had to re-dig behind your neighbors' houses.

Posted by: I'm game ()
Date: April 26, 2017 02:58PM

WeYjd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Verizon installers are local contractors.
> Guess why they had to re-dig behind your
> neighbors' houses.

I do not have a guess. Can you just tell me?

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: April 26, 2017 08:44PM

illegals. instead of paying them. you know.

Posted by: UctxG ()
Date: April 26, 2017 09:36PM

FIOS installs are time consuming, especially if any coax needs to be run.

The hardware installation goes fairly quickly, but the commissioning of the ONT, router and set top boxes can take a while. If the Verizon installers set up the remote controls and do any other computer connections and explain everything to the home owner, it takes time.

Verizon used to send 2+ installers to get the job jump started, then leave 1 guy behind to deal with all the equipment commissioning. This may have changed in the past few years.

Most people are getting TV, Internet and Phone, if they house has an alarm or they are dealing with Verizon Digital Phone other time is consumed.

Expect one installer to be on site for at least 4-5 hours.

Installation takes time, but once everything is up and running, things are usually very reliable.

Posted by: Freq ()
Date: April 26, 2017 09:50PM

I self-installed mine this time. Had to call them because the second box wouldn't come up on the network, but otherwise pretty painless.

Date: April 26, 2017 11:49PM

Hey, rickies, ten years ago Verizon tried to retrain its linemen to install FiOS using technologies they had no idea how to use, most of whom were working a silly 20 years for the hurting phone company doing butt-shit-simple punchdown blocks of money Cat3 cable. Now they need to install coaxial cable with hurting compression fittings after the third-party contractor already installed the expensive fiber.

After all that nonsense, the idiot lineman needs to hook up your phone (piece of cake) and your MoCa modem (bitch-ass hard with compression fittings) and television (annoying but less hard than the damn modem).

Then they need to put on their hurting reading glasses and log into their Panasonic ToughBook laptop and try to log into Verizon FiOS provisioning system via mobile wireless internet which, chances are, doesn't have great coverage at your money metal house.

Then they have to teach you how to use the silly internet, television, and phone.

It's a show, donk.

Posted by: Real Answer ()
Date: April 27, 2017 07:53AM

They get paid by the hour. They're going to milk an install job for every minute they can squeeze out of it.

Posted by: Bill S ()
Date: April 27, 2017 08:11PM

I am one of the last Cox subscribers on my street so now I have bargaining power.
I don't need no stinkin' Verizon.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.