HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WMZQ morning show
Posted by: Wondering ()
Date: October 08, 2009 12:03PM

What happened to the guy? Lately it is only the girl?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WMZQ morning show
Posted by: dd ()
Date: October 08, 2009 01:18PM

Dan & Dusty on 104.3 Country KCY is better.

Posted by: wmzq ()
Date: October 08, 2009 01:56PM

Brian was fired, his last day on the air was September 25th. They are going to be debuting a new morning show in the next couple weeks. I wonder what happened because I really liked Brian. And whatever happened to Ben (from the old Ben & Brian show)? I never knew why he left.

Posted by: wmzq ()
Date: October 08, 2009 01:58PM

Just found this:

Confirmed: Brian Egan Gone From MZQ - 9/29 - DCRTV gets confirmation on our report last week that Brian Egan is gone from WMZQ's morning show and is no longer working at the Clear Channel country outlet. Jenni Chase will host solo, while a new MZQ morning show is sought. No word from Clear Channel DC for details about Egan's departure. He came to WMZQ in 2002 with radio partner Ben Campbell from a Phoenix country station. Their "Ben And Brian" (right) morning show on 98.7 lasted until 2007, when Campbell left. He's now part of the "Ben And Matt" morning team at Clear Channel country outlet KNIX in Phoenix. During his seven years in Washington, Egan spend a lot of time hosting fundraising efforts for leukemia, a disease his wife was diagnosed with in 2005.....

Posted by: Anne ()
Date: October 08, 2009 02:23PM

What happended to Brian Egan? I like Jenni, but nothing like Ben and Brian. They were good as a team and even more funny. I loved their humor and jokes. Has not been the same since Ben left.

Please keep us informed. Maybe you can get Jim London and Mary Ball back as a morning team. Now, that would be great.

Posted by: Ron Burgundy ()
Date: October 08, 2009 03:33PM

I can't imagine a country morning show being very funny. I can see them telling Foxworthy jokes the entire show.

Posted by: you might be a redneck... ()
Date: October 09, 2009 07:04AM

Ron Burgundy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't imagine a country morning show being very
> funny. I can see them telling Foxworthy jokes the
> entire show.

That's not what's it like. But I wish it was, 'cause that would be pretty darn funny.

Posted by: Marylin Manson ()
Date: October 09, 2009 08:06AM

Who would even ADMIT they listen to this shit-kickin garbage? It's one of the most embarassing parts of American culture yet most Kuntry music artists and fans think they are the only patriotic ones, or the "real" americans. Hey Toby Keith, try writing something without mentioning 9-11 or bein' Amerikunnn.

Posted by: patriot ()
Date: October 09, 2009 12:44PM

Marylin Manson Wrote:
> Who would even ADMIT they listen to this
> shit-kickin garbage? It's one of the most
> embarassing parts of American culture yet most
> Kuntry music artists and fans think they are the
> only patriotic ones, or the "real" americans. Hey
> Toby Keith, try writing something without
> mentioning 9-11 or bein' Amerikunnn.

We're a helluva lot more patriotic and American that you. STFU and go listen to your ghetto rap music.

Posted by: pgen's MC ()
Date: October 09, 2009 01:18PM

yeehaw WMZQ puts the slop in trough and the hay in the seed! We'd gang bang faith hill AND sara evans if she showed up at our rallys!

Date: October 09, 2009 02:21PM

patriot Wrote:
> We're a helluva lot more patriotic and American
> that you. STFU and go listen to your ghetto rap
> music.

No, you pretend to be more patriotic because that's what you like to portray. I hate how some die-hard country listeners pretend to be more gentlemen-like, patriotic, and just better people over all. Let me guess, you're just a "fun-lovin' guy" who likes to tell people he treats his ladies right and claims he's from the south. STFU with that redneck bullshit. I listen to country, too, along with everything else out there and I can't understand how people like you can claim they are more patriotic because of the music they listen to. Just because you listen to music that promotes Patriotism doesn't make you Patriotic, you wannabe redneck.

FYI - pretending to be a redneck doesn't get you very far in life, but good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 03:36PM by Ron Burgundy.
Attachments:
hick.jpg

Posted by: rebel ()
Date: October 09, 2009 03:13PM

Ron Burgundy Wrote:
> patriot Wrote:
> > We're a helluva lot more patriotic and American
> > that you. STFU and go listen to your ghetto rap
> > music.
>
>
> No, you pretend to be more patriotic because
> that's what you like to portray. I hate how
> die-hard country listeners pretend to be more
> gentlemen-like, patriotic, and just better people
> over all. Let me guess, you're just a "fun-lovin'
> guy" who likes to tell people he treats his ladies
> right and claims he's from the south. STFU with
> that redneck bullshit. I listen to country, too,
> along with everything else out there and I can't
> understand how people like you can claim they are
> more patriotic because of the music they listen
> to. Just because you listen to music that promotes
> Patriotism doesn't make you Patriotic, you wannabe
> redneck.
>
> FYI - pretending to be a redneck doesn't get you
> very far in life, but good luck!

We ARE all the from south. We are all Virginians.

Date: October 09, 2009 03:34PM

We might be located in the South (borderline) but we're far from Southerners. This is Northern Virginia, not Roanoke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 03:35PM by Ron Burgundy.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: October 09, 2009 03:41PM

Maybe they should hire Larry the Cable Guy.....

Posted by: Minty Fresh Clean ()
Date: October 09, 2009 03:42PM

WMZQ is STILL on the air? WTF. I thought that was from the 70's that played Dolly Parton songs all day. What about WPIK/WXRA? How are their shows?

Posted by: nova sucks ()
Date: October 09, 2009 06:32PM

Ron Burgundy Wrote:
> We might be located in the South (borderline) but
> we're far from Southerners. This is Northern
> Virginia, not Roanoke.

Exactly why I want to move away from here.

Posted by: Here ()
Date: October 09, 2009 07:12PM

Ron Burgundy:

I love it when people from the South (including nothern VA and MD) claim they are not southern, because they are not from Mississippi or do not like the culture. There are different regions of the South, like there are in the north.

FACT: If you are from Virginia, you are Southern, whether you like it or not, you self-hating prick. You don't have to live on a plantation, own slaves, drive a John Deere or listen to country music to be one.

Posted by: southern ()
Date: October 09, 2009 09:07PM

Yeah some people up in like Massachusetts and New York definitely view us as southern.

Posted by: ready, aim, fire ()
Date: October 10, 2009 12:08AM

nova sucks Wrote:
>
> Exactly why I want to move away from here.

Don''t let the cannonball hit your ass on the way out.

Date: October 10, 2009 12:26AM

Here Wrote:
> Ron Burgundy:
>
> I love it when people from the South (including
> nothern VA and MD) claim they are not southern,
> because they are not from Mississippi or do not
> like the culture. There are different regions of
> the South, like there are in the north.
>
> FACT: If you are from Virginia, you are Southern,
> whether you like it or not, you self-hating prick.
> You don't have to live on a plantation, own
> slaves, drive a John Deere or listen to country
> music to be one.

If you read my post correctly, I clearly state that Northern Virginia is located in the south, but the culture here is not considered southern, not that being considered from the south is bad. By the way, slavery was abolished in 1865, just thought I'd let you know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 12:34AM by Ron Burgundy.

Posted by: DC1201 ()
Date: October 10, 2009 09:03AM

Burgundy-

You will actually find that DC / Northern Virginia IS considered Southern in culture, as well as Baltimore. Thanks for letting us know that slavery was abolished in 1865. I'll let mine go.

Posted by: nova ()
Date: October 10, 2009 12:45PM

There are tons of rednecks in Northern Virginia. Just go to that gun show that they have at the Chantilly Expo Center and look around the parking lot.

Posted by: Zukervati ()
Date: October 10, 2009 01:50PM

Still nothing but a bunch of rednecks!

Posted by: JohnM ()
Date: October 13, 2009 08:44AM

My, my. What have we here? Bigots and Patriots and all sort of folks finding ways and means to dislike and put down others.

I don't suppose anyone would like to see that each is human and worthy of respect eh?

Sigh. Still awaiting the evolution of the human race. Seems it may take a bit longer than I'd hoped.

You are loved. All of you.

Posted by: LadyA ()
Date: October 19, 2009 06:48AM

Can we get back on track - I believe the topic was what happened to Ben and Brian. First, Ben left at the end of his contract to go back to Tennessee to be with family - although I googled him the other day and he's back in Phoenix doing a morning show with Matt McAlister (wish I could get THAT station). I was really disappointed when Ben left and Brian stayed. No offense, but as hard as he tried, Ben was nothing without Brian - and then there is Jenni Chase. She should have stuck to traffic and weather. A radio personality she isn't. Nice girl maybe, but not funny and spends too much time laughing at her own jokes - kinda like Jessica Cash.

I am so fed up with WMZQ and wish I could get another country station that came in clearly in my car and in my office. The people who run that station don't know a good thing when they got it. They live by the "if it ain't broke, gotta fix it" mentality. After Ben left and they fired Jim London and Seth Warner (for a second time) I just about had it. When they replaced them with Michael J and Jeffro (what the hell kind of a name is JEFFRO???) I changed stations altogether. Only recently did I change back, and now I'm sorry I did. Shoulda stayed with my iPod. The DJ's on WMZQ are not funny and talk just to hear themselves talk. 5 minutes of Michael J's show and I have to change the station. I don't know how much better Boxer in the morning is going to be, but it won't make a difference because if he is any good, he'll just get fired and they'll bring in someone who would rather listen to himself yap or play the same 10 lousy songs all day long.

Wish there were a way to protest the station - changing it just doesn't seem to work.

Posted by: Michele ()
Date: October 19, 2009 10:14AM

I agree, I am really not a fan of WMZQ anymore. I used to enjoy ben & brian in the morning, but brian was my least favorite and yes that Jenni Chase is horrible. WMZQ plays the same new songs over and over, or a few older ones over and over. They don't even play everyone's new songs, just select artists. Gary Allan has a new song out and I think I have only heard it on there once and it was very late at night. I would say they're program director needs to learn how to change it up!

LadyA, check out 99.9 WFRE, they are out of Frederick MD and I like them much better.

Posted by: Mary ()
Date: October 19, 2009 10:35AM

I totally agree with you about the path of WMZQ Michele. I get WPOC, but can't bear to listen to it on the way to work because Marty Bass makes me want to vomit. So thanks for the info on 99.9! I'll check that out.

Posted by: just passin thru ()
Date: October 19, 2009 01:03PM

Try 93.3 WFLS out of Fredricksburg. I can get the station all around NOVA. DJ's are so-so, but they play much more music.

Posted by: country ()
Date: October 19, 2009 02:25PM

LadyA, we get a lot of country stations that come in clear in Fairfax. 93.3, 99.9, and 102.5 all come in clear. Some days you can listen to 104.3 KCY Harrisonburg but it's pretty fuzzy.

Posted by: Maria ()
Date: October 19, 2009 02:28PM

Was Jenni even on the air this morning?

WMZQ is just not the same station since Jim London and Mary Ball were let go. I am a channel-surfer so I listen to a little bit of everything, but when those two were hosts of the morning show, that's where my dial would be set for the ride in to work.

Posted by: WMZQ ()
Date: October 19, 2009 02:50PM

Jenni Chase is not on in the mornings anymore - she is replacing Jeffro in the afternoon. I guess Boxer is on by himself in the mornings.

From DCRTV:

Clear Channel country outlet WMZQ (98.7 FM) moves Jenni Chase to middays, replacing Jeffrey "Jeffro" Mason, who got axed in August. She had been co-hosting mornings with Brian Egan, who got axed in September. Joe Boxer will now host WMZQ mornings. He comes from Clear Channel's WCOL, a country outlet in Columbus, Ohio. The changes come on 10/19.....

Date: October 20, 2009 09:19AM

Thanks for the radio suggestions. I do like the station out of Baltimore, but can only pick it up from about 7100 (off of 66) to the 395N exit off the beltway. I can get the station out of Fredericksburg, but Jessica Cash gives me a headache. I was so happy when MZQ booted her and her partner for Ben and Brian.

I did do some research though and found Ben on a station out of Phoenix (KNIX). I've been listening to it online for the last 2 days and it is pretty funny. Didn't realize how much I'd missed Ben - nice to hear all his old voices and he seems to have developed a few more. Can't get them in the car, but that's okay, because they don't come on until 8EST (5 a.m. in Phoenix). I'll give 102.5 a shot. Be nice to get good country music and decent DJ's - don't think that's too much to ask.

Posted by: Ricard ()
Date: October 20, 2009 10:48PM

I stopped listening to WMZQ after Jim London was fired - now it seems that just about every other Country channel you can get here is better.

But I'm curious, does anyone know where Jim London wound up? I bet wherever he is, he does a version of America's Music (his classic Country show), and I'd it would be great if it's available online. Just curious where he is now.

Posted by: kate ()
Date: October 24, 2009 08:42AM

Actually country is very funny and very clever. Sounds like you are still thinking of decades ago. Things have changed a lot. Try it with an open mind. You just might like what you hear.

Posted by: Kate ()
Date: October 24, 2009 08:48AM

496 - love your comment. Pseudo-intellectuals are so cute and funny. They are ever so prickly about their superiority to everything they consider pedestrian. Me, I have degrees out the wazoo and can over-intellectualize with the best of them. But now that I'm older and wiser, I'd much rather listen to some good country music. Country is where rock was in the 1960s and 1970s - by that I mean that the best artists are here. The music is fantastic and the lyrics tell stories and sometimes play with language in ways that are worthy of Shakespeare at his best. Let the highbrows look down their wet-behind-the ears noses at us. I love country and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Posted by: Kate ()
Date: October 24, 2009 08:50AM

I do miss Ben and Brian, but hey, I liked Jenni. She has a great voice and she and Brian did OK after Ben left. Now it's stupid. I'll go check out 99.9 I guess.

Posted by: 50 Cent ()
Date: October 24, 2009 09:31AM

Kuntree mewzik is really Hip-Hop. To the professors who are not afraid to admit their like of shitkickin music I find this paradox interesting:

Rappers rely on bragging of hoes, liquor, cars, etc. Most Toby Keith types are no different, except they have great disdain for rappers and anyone not as patriotic as their rednecked clan. Their songs almost always speak of gettin drunk at the lame-ass honky tonk, struggling in the working class, and of course their trucks and dogs. Your basic rap video has the same components, except switch the hound dog to a pit bull, trade the F150 for a Bentley, and the Hennesey for Pabst.

There you have it, Tim McGraw is just a taller Kanye West, and if you like country you're a closet hip-hop fan.

Posted by: VTCCHokie92 ()
Date: October 29, 2009 10:23AM

Does anyone know what happened to Brian, i.e. why he was fired? I really liked Ben & Brian when they came to D.C. the last time I was stationed here. They put on a great show and made my commute fun!

When I came back to D.C. in 2007, I was glad to hear that Brian was still around and sad to hear that Ben had left. Brian and Jenni were okay together, and the jury is still out on Boxer, but WMZQ has lost a lot of listeners and loyal listeners over their idiotic firings.

50 Cent, wow, are you way off. If you are going to compare anyone to that idiot Kanye West, pick someone in country music that is an equal idiot. What the hell has Tim McGraw done to deserve that screwed up analogy?

Posted by: boxer ()
Date: October 29, 2009 11:57AM

What do you guys think of the new "Boxer in the Morning" show? I listed to some of it Monday morning, but then I lost the station once I got to I-81. Boxer seemed alright, I'm not sure if I like it yet though.

Posted by: NY girl ()
Date: October 30, 2009 03:44PM

I am from NY just moved here. I love country music. But this is definitely the south. Very different from the north!

Posted by: ??????????????????? ()
Date: October 30, 2009 03:47PM

So what does your love of country music have to do with your point NY girl? Did you have a brain fart after that first sentence, and that is what popped out?

Posted by: NY girl ()
Date: October 30, 2009 04:03PM

Everytime I tell people I am from NY they wonder how I like country music that is why I said I love country music. I guess I kind of had a brain fart. I saw earlier post about this not being the south but it totally is. That is all.

Posted by: country ()
Date: October 30, 2009 04:05PM

NY girl Wrote:
> Everytime I tell people I am from NY they wonder
> how I like country music that is why I said I love
> country music. I guess I kind of had a brain fart.
> I saw earlier post about this not being the south
> but it totally is. That is all.

How is it different than from the North? I definitely consider Virginia part of the south, but Northern Virginia seems to becoming more and more "Northern." But I always consider myself a southerner.

Date: October 30, 2009 04:12PM

NY girl Wrote:
> I am from NY just moved here. I love country
> music. But this is definitely the south. Very
> different from the north!

I visit New York and New Jersey regularly and the people there aren't different then the people here, as far as the metro area goes. Do you live in Front Royal?

Posted by: sleek ()
Date: October 30, 2009 09:28PM

Barbara Mandrell - Sleeping Single In A Double Bed
VS
Glen Campbell - Sunflower

Compare and contrast. Which was the better country song and why?

Posted by: Teddy ()
Date: October 30, 2009 09:31PM

Whatever happened to Gary D?

Posted by: Angie ()
Date: November 01, 2009 10:22AM

OK...I am just floored that WMZQ has fired all of these people but my question is, why? Anyone know what the end goal was for firing Brian, Jim London etc.... what did they do if anything?

Date: November 03, 2009 07:32AM

Cannot stand Boxer. He is trying to hard - and why is he incapable of delivering the traffic himself? Clearly he has problems pushing the right button, so reading it himself might work better for him. At the moment I'm listening to his "interview" with Carrie Underwood. How stupid does he and WMZQ think the listener's are. Clearly this is a canned interview and he is working his questions in between her answers. Unbelievable. Boxer, go back to Ohio. Oops, there goes my dial........

Posted by: Beverly ()
Date: November 11, 2009 10:27AM

Forget WMZQ. The station makes idiotic decisions, without keeping the listeners informed. How can we be "loyal" listeners when the station is not "loyal" to us? I listen to XM - I can get old or new Country Music anytime and classic rock, now that's where it's at!!

Posted by: BOXERSUX ()
Date: November 12, 2009 08:36PM

Ok WMZQ Needs to bring Brian back. This Boxer guy is a stiff! I cant imagine this guy doing anything more than clicking buttons to play the next song I cant even stand his voice.

He is boring. I would rather listen to WTOP. I have switched WTOP for News and 93.3 for music.

Date: November 19, 2009 07:15PM

So if you can get Thunder 104.5 - SWITCH!!!!!! I can't get it in my car, but I can get it at work and it is well worth listening to. They play a GREAT mix of today's music and, if you loved Jim London's America's music, "oldies". WMZQ has lost this "loyal listener" forever!

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: November 19, 2009 08:24PM

country Wrote:
> How is it different than from the North? I
> definitely consider Virginia part of the south,
> but Northern Virginia seems to becoming more and
> more "Northern." But I always consider myself a
> southerner.

There is no 'North' or 'South' anymore. Anywhere you go in America these days you see the same shit--McDonalds, Walmart, Applebee's--there's very little difference from place to place anymore. But that's the price you pay for convenience--everything starts to look the same. I've been up north...sure, there's a world of difference between New York City and Northern Virginia--but only if you're talking about the city itself. Everything around it--New Jersey, upstate, Pennsylvania--looks pretty much like the city of Fairfax. Nothing special.

Posted by: 3whl ()
Date: December 16, 2009 12:00PM

Ben left because he wanted to be back with family. I think his wife's illness made them want to be closer to family in case anything else happened.

Date: December 16, 2009 12:03PM

I believe most of the folks that have left have been due to contract issues. Not necessarily firing in the sense that they did anything wrong. But, yeah, it'd be nice to know in advance that they were leaving.

Date: December 16, 2009 12:12PM

Posted by: country fan ()
Date: January 15, 2010 11:01AM

Brian's wife was ill not Ben's.

Posted by: FOB ()
Date: January 29, 2010 12:12AM

Brian's wife is ill, not was. She still has Leukemia and is still battling the disease. We saw Brian in Clarendon Tuesday Night at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Man & Woman of the Year Cocktail Party. He was in great spirits despite the difficult job market and is contemplating starting his own webcast. You can find him on Facebook.

Posted by: Mary Ball ()
Date: April 16, 2010 01:45PM

This is Mary Ball- back in Virginia after too many years away...just wanted to say how nice it was to read your post and be remembered. Jim London's down in Florida now, not working as far as I know...poor guy. Radio just plain sucks these days, from what I can tell-but that's what happens when one company buys up every station, hires card-readers from LA who masquerade as "personalities" and thinks that's all they need to build listener loyalty. Ugh. Anyway, thanks for the memories. MB

Date: July 16, 2021 04:48PM

What happened to Seth Warner?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.