HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What a live wire we have in Cannon
Posted by: Republicans for Cannon ()
Date: October 05, 2009 09:09PM

Cannon Has Transportation Solutions Now
By Hugh "Mac" Cannon

"25 cents back on every dollar isn't enough."
The economic health of Northern Virginia in general, and Greater Reston in particular, rests in our ability to relieve the region from the stranglehold of congestion. Being stuck in traffic not only affects the productivity of workers but the quality of life of families. If we don't begin to solve our transportation crisis soon, companies will begin leaving the Dulles Corridor for more mobile locations.
As a candidate for the House of Delegates from the 36th District, and one who commutes daily from Reston to Tysons Corner, I not only live the burden of our deficient transportation system on a daily basis, but I'd given a lot of thought to the problem before entering the race.

Northern Virginia is the economic engine of the Commonwealth. But how is it that we got into our mobility problem? Fairfax alone has 14 percent of Virginia's population but pays 28 percent of the state's income tax. Yet we get back only 25 cents on every dollar we send to Richmond. Let me put it this way -- would you deposit money in a savings account at a bank if that bank was only going to give you 25 cents back for each dollar you deposit? Of course not. But that is what the 36th District has done each time it has re-elected Ken Plum for some 30 years.

Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." We've got to stop the insanity of electing Ken Plum, getting 25 cents back for every dollar we send to Richmond, and then being shocked when nothing changes.

Ken has constantly said taxes need to be raised to fix the transportation problem. The issue, however, is not some right wing "I won't raise taxes" pledge. The issue is throwing good money after bad. If raising taxes results in better transportation, I think a lot of people would support it. But there is no confidence that raising taxes will solve anything. I will work to make certain we don't do the same thing over and over and then expect a different outcome. If you want a different outcome, you need change. Ken Plum represents 30 years of the status quo. I represent change and something different.

The first thing I will do in the General Assembly is create an Urban-Suburban Coalition, a Bi-Partisan Coalition of Republicans and Democrats, Delegates and Senators, from Northern Virginia, the Richmond I-95 corridor, and the Tidewater region to develop proposals to change the funding formulas in Virginia. I will bring together a coalition of legislators from the parts of Virginia that have the greatest transportation needs, and gather the votes to change the formula. This coalition will also work to find new revenue sources for transportation, like offshore oil and gas royalties, fees and receipts; like privatizing the ABC (Why is state government in the liquor store business? Is selling booze really a top priority of state government services?) and putting liquor store sales tax revenues and fees into transportation; and doing an inventory of surplus state owned land and putting the revenues into transportation -- for Northern Virginia.

And I wouldn't put all the new money into one project, Rail to Dulles. That is an important project, and we must complete it and do it the right way, but I don't think anyone is going to take the train to the grocery store or to the cleaners on Saturday morning. We're not going to take the kids to soccer games on rail. We've got to widen Reston Parkway. We need to fix the intersection of Hunter Mill Road and Sunset Hills and the Toll Road. We need to widen Route 7 all the way from Loudoun County to Tysons Corner. We need to start using technology to synchronize our traffic lights. That's where I'll put the money.

The last tax increase Ken Plum voted for resulted in no money going to transportation and only 30 cents on the dollar coming back to Northern Virginia. And the last time a comprehensive plan to provide funds for transportation was considered in the General Assembly, Ken Plum voted "no" twice - first when the bill passed the House of Delegates and then a second time when the House-Senate conference bill came back to the House. That kind of thinking has to be replaced.

I won't be a partisan party Caucus Chair. That would not be in the best interests of the people of the greater Reston area. Rather than being a partisan, I'll work across party lines, with Republicans AND Democrats to change the formula; get our fair share back to Northern Virginia.

Reapportionment after next year's Census will give my coalition the votes needed to change the formula and get Northern Virginia's fair share - something Ken Plum has failed to do in 30 years. It's the first thing I will do as your Delegate. I'll take action on day one. We need solutions NOW.

That's my transportation plan. You can debate it, even disagree with it. But you cannot deny one fact. I am the only candidate for the House of Delegates from the 36th District who has a transportation plan.

-30-

Mr. Cannon is the Republican candidate for the House of Delegates from the 36th District

Learn more...

About Cannon for Delegate
Solutions Now for Virginia

"Cannon for Delegate"
Link to us on Facebook "Cannon for Delegate" and "Join the Discussion-36th District of VA"

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cannon-for-Delegate/125982412794?ref=ts

Cannon for Delegate
Elicia Huffaker
Campaign Manager
email: info@cannonfordelegate.com
phone: 703-822-1370

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What a live wire we have in Cannon
Posted by: Reston Democrat ()
Date: October 05, 2009 11:28PM

It dose sound good!

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: October 16, 2009 03:53PM

Sounds nice. But I bet you anything his arm will get twisted by the downstate Republicans who like the current system of 'Northern Virginia sends us lots of money, and then I tell my constituents that they don't have to pay more in taxes.'

If he got elected, then became an Independent that caucused with the Republicans, he might have more credibility.

OTOH, if there were a state-only Northern Virginia Party, it might get listened to and be able to capture 5-10 seats in the House and 1-4 in the Senate in three-way races. Given the current makeup, the Northern Virginia Party would hold the balance of power and work with whatever party could get the most done.

The Northern Virginia Party would be focused on transportation, job creation, and reforming the revenue distribution system. It would be agnostic on gun control, abortion, and other divisive issues, allowing for a primary to determine that -- so Clifton/Centreville might run a pro-gun, pro-life NVP candidate and Arlington might run a pro-choice, pro-gun control NVP candidate.

It would be similar to the Bloc Quebecois, only running candidates in districts including Loudoun, Prince William, Arlington, and Fairfax Counties, as well as Manassas, Manassas Park, and Falls Church Cities. It would simply refuse to endorse candidates for statewide or federal offices.

Posted by: § ()
Date: October 16, 2009 04:11PM

Hey, I've got a novel idea to combat transportation woes in the area...

Move closer to your workplace and quit buying houses in Bumfuck, Virginia.

I know people dream of a big house with a big yard, but if you can't afford it in the first place, perhaps a condo or townhome is more your style. I don't understand these people who live in Woodbridge, Gainesville or even West Virginia that leave their homes at 5am in order to make an 8am meeting in McLean. WTF?

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 16, 2009 04:55PM

I used to work with a guy that lived in Norfolk. He'd stay at a hotel up here five days a week, and drive home on the weekends.

Fucking insane.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: lesser reston ()
Date: October 17, 2009 02:54PM

Where the hell is 'Greater Reston'?

Yup that's a vote winner with surrounding areas

Posted by: Inovative Thinker ()
Date: October 17, 2009 08:59PM

§ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey, I've got a novel idea to combat
> transportation woes in the area...
>
> Move closer to your workplace and quit buying
> houses in Bumfuck, Virginia.
>
> I know people dream of a big house with a big
> yard, but if you can't afford it in the first
> place, perhaps a condo or townhome is more your
> style. I don't understand these people who live
> in Woodbridge, Gainesville or even West Virginia
> that leave their homes at 5am in order to make an
> 8am meeting in McLean. WTF?

I wonder if there will ever be legislated preshure on Personel Departments?

YES on Cannon.

Plum voted for Real ID and against 95% of Virginia Legislatures and

Dissed the 5,000 Reston Citizens who signed the petition for Reston to be a Virginia town to be on the ballot.

We don't need Plum! Democracy for Reston and Virginia!

Posted by: Burke Curve ()
Date: October 19, 2009 11:08AM

Did you choose the title of your post?

Posted by: Citizens for Change in Reston ()
Date: October 25, 2009 07:02PM

Oct. 16, 2009

Vote for Change from Del. Plum
To the editor:
There has been much talk of "change" as of late, but there is one local change from which long-suffering Reston-area commuters would clearly benefit: the replacement of our 30-year incumbent Del: Ken Plum.
On an issue of overriding concern to Reston commuters, transportation funding and attendant matters, Del Plum's fudge is a "commission to come up with viable sources of revenue." Yet another vote for a tax hike, Ken?
He opines that the "biggest task facing the legislature will be dealing with continued shortfalls in tax revenue." Hmm. Those pesky tax shortfalls.
He prides himself on "staying in touch with people." But not necessarily listening to them. HB2021 called, as a highway safety measure, for the temporary impoundment of the vehicles of persons with previous convictions caught driving without a valid license. Eightyeight delegates clearly considered this bill eminently sensible and voted in favor of it. Who could be opposed? Delegate Plum, with just eight others, voted against. Staying in touch?
The pragmatic, problem-solving business executive Hugh "Mac" Cannon has a workable plan to build roads and improve mass transit and, what is most important, a way of paying for it without the emphasis on raising taxes.
Out with the old, in with the new. "Mac" Cannon for delegate and Reston's commuters!
Harry Locock
Reston

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.