HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
FCPS Picture Day - a racket? Do all schools use LifeTouch?
Posted by: Angua1 ()
Date: September 29, 2009 04:39PM

My son didn't care one way or another if we bought his school pictures. Those LifeTouch picture packages are so screwy and expensive I'd never pre-order for his pictures. He'd be sent home with a mega-pack of pictures and we'd send them right back. I hate having to part with a picture of my kid, so it was tough sending the pics back. But I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a pseudo-studio photo when I can get something better at Target or Penny's for less.

My daughter's different. She wants the pictures so this morning I tried to figure out the mess of package deals. I figured I could buy her a sheet of wallets. Wow, what a racket. They put so much stuff into these packages then your only option to buy exactly what you want is to remove stuff from an inflated package. You can't just buy a couple of sheets. It looks purposefully complicated to force people to buy more than they need.

Do all FCPS schools use LifeTouch? Has anyone ever managed to change their picture day vendor and are ANY vendors using more up-to-date buying tools?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS Picture Day - a racket? Do all schools use LifeTouch?
Posted by: ThriftyTom ()
Date: September 29, 2009 07:51PM

Go to Wal-Mart and get them done for a third of the price. Better quality too!

Posted by: InvisibleBox ()
Date: September 29, 2009 08:39PM

when your kid brings home the packet of pictures, can you try to scan them into your own computer? That way, you still get the 2009-2010 school year picture but you don't have to pay for any of them-and then return all the photos back to the school.

.....or would that be considered a form of stealing?

Anyways, what do these companies even do with all those unsold pictures??

Posted by: Consumer Advocate ()
Date: September 29, 2009 08:41PM

Right you are, Angual 1.

First, I believe all of FCPS uses Lifetouch. I had the same feelings about the picture packet with the key ring pictures and the bookmarks, especially when I did not order them, but yet they demanded payment after they sent home the unsolicited pictures. Don't pay for them and don't send them back. There is nothing they can do since you did not order them. They should not be using your children as their sales reps.

As for fall pictures with the 30 - 50 plus picture packages that are over priced, order just the Extras ONLINE or call it in. They have done this for me so don't take no for an answer. Their pricing is usuary, much like Memory Makers who has the sports teams contract. Parents have rebelled and are now taking their won team pics, much to the dismay of Memory Makers which is now showing up at the fields looking for stragglers.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: September 29, 2009 11:31PM

InvisibleBox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when your kid brings home the packet of pictures,
> can you try to scan them into your own computer?
>
> .....or would that be considered a form of stealing?

Yes, that would be copyright infringement.

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 29, 2009 11:55PM

Do you also feel compelled to buy the pictures on cruise ships, or at amusement parks, or at the beach?

Who cares about these "school photos" anyway? Buy the year book, it at least has value not only for the photo of your kid, but your kid can have classmates sign it, as well.

The early elementary school "class photos" are different. Those have more value for your kid later on. He can look at the picture and remember all the kids in his class.

The whole "picture day" thing is a money maker for the school and the photographer. Why do you care to have a picture of your kid from THAT day? What was the significance of THAT day? The school system chose it because it was the day the photographer was available, and they know sentimental saps would fork over cash for overpriced "packages" of photos of their kid at school, EVERY YEAR.

You can take a photo of your kids going off to the first day of school every year for the price of one year's cheapest picture day packages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 30, 2009 12:51AM

From Pre-School, all the way through 12th Grade I always brought home those packets of pictures, and it was never very complicated in my opinion. I do believe that "Life Touch" was the company which did it for most of the time as well.

Personally, I like having all of the photographs, and they used to be given to family members, especially when I was a little kid.

Btw, yeah Thurston Moore, my folks used to also do what you stated in taking photographs of us going off to our first day of school. That's always a good idea.

Posted by: kiddo ()
Date: September 30, 2009 01:16AM

dont do it! i got screwed over every single time i dealt with them, i was even sent the wrong childs pictures! REDICULOUS!

Posted by: WalletTouch ()
Date: September 30, 2009 09:59AM

Yes, it's a racket...cheapest "pak" is $17. Tell me you can't go to Walmart and print the same # of pics for 1/3 of the price. You don't have to buy them - and scanning them is an idea...who's gonna know/tell?

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: September 30, 2009 10:25AM

This is ridiculous. With digital cameras so available right now just buy a tripod and sit your family down with a shutter timer on. You'll prolly be happier and prouder of the moments you capture yourself than some pic taken at school with your sons hands folded in his lap and his head cocked to the side like a dumbass.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: September 30, 2009 10:41AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they only use the LifeTouch pictures for yearbooks?

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: snappy ()
Date: September 30, 2009 11:01AM

Angua1 Wrote:
> My son didn't care one way or another if we bought
> his school pictures. Those LifeTouch picture
> packages are so screwy and expensive I'd never
> pre-order for his pictures. He'd be sent home with
> a mega-pack of pictures and we'd send them right
> back. I hate having to part with a picture of my
> kid, so it was tough sending the pics back. But
> I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a
> pseudo-studio photo when I can get something
> better at Target or Penny's for less.
>
> My daughter's different. She wants the pictures so
> this morning I tried to figure out the mess of
> package deals. I figured I could buy her a sheet
> of wallets. Wow, what a racket. They put so much
> stuff into these packages then your only option to
> buy exactly what you want is to remove stuff from
> an inflated package. You can't just buy a couple
> of sheets. It looks purposefully complicated to
> force people to buy more than they need.
>
> Do all FCPS schools use LifeTouch? Has anyone ever
> managed to change their picture day vendor and are
> ANY vendors using more up-to-date buying tools?

We just keep them without paying. The non-pre-paid pkg. comes home at the end of the school year during SOL season. Nobody ever says anything or probably even cares. Or if you feel the need to pay, buy one and scan it. These days who needs to buy these things? Maybe the folks that still bronze their baby crocs. They only use these for the yearbook.

Posted by: moi ()
Date: October 05, 2009 01:19PM

lifetouch sucks

Posted by: VAgirl ()
Date: October 05, 2009 03:46PM

My kid's private Catholic school uses Lifetouch too. They've really got the market cornered, huh?

Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: October 05, 2009 03:50PM

The best place around is Portrait Innovations in Fair Lakes (near Whole Foods). The $9.95 package is amazing and we never felt a hard sell if we turned down optional products.

Our daughter had her HS graduation pictures taken there - the studio Robinson uses wanted $100 for even a basic package, but we got all that we needed from PI.

Posted by: aparent ()
Date: October 05, 2009 11:31PM

Actually, each individual school can choose their own picture company. Our high school uses Blanton Studios and our elementary school has used LifeTouch in the past, but switched to Irwin Simon for a couple of years. I think there are a few other companies out there as well. Typically they stick with the same company year after year because it's a pain to change, but it can be done.

Posted by: something sinister here ()
Date: October 06, 2009 10:29AM

No kidding guys-someone needs to file a FOIA request with FCPS to see what their kickback is.

I guarantee you the schools are getting a piece of the action-that is why the markup is so high.

Posted by: more sinister stuff ()
Date: October 06, 2009 07:17PM

Someone needs to file a FOIA request with FCPS to see why there are no Pepsi machines in the schools. I suspect that Coke is paying a higher kickback than Pepsi, thus the Pepsi lock-out.

About this picture thing, are the kids forced to have their pictures taken by LifeTouch? If not, and you have no intention of purchasing the pics, why not just tell Junior or Princess to skip it?

It's been a long time, but in my 12 years in FCPS (70's) you didn't have to get your picture taken. I didn't want to be in any yearbooks so I just didn't have my pic taken. Nobody objected to it back then.

Date: October 08, 2009 08:29AM

I think some are missing the point. Pictures are inexpensive and should be even less so when purchased as a group as in students of a PUBLIC school. Not marked up...way up. Of course it would be easy to go to Wal Mart to have them done or to simply take them yourself, but it's exciting for the children when the pictures are ditributed at school and even more fun when the yearbooks come out and the kids hudddle in groups to find themselves, their teachers and their friends. School pictures are a tradition that most kids don't want to be left out of. We shouldn't let companies like Lifetouch and memory Makers make it cost prohibitive for families to take part in that tradition.

Posted by: CABack ()
Date: October 08, 2009 11:15AM

Ha-Ha, good point so glad you brought up the yearbooks. Nothing like having to sell the family heirloom silver just to fork out the cash to pay for that tradition. Of course, Lifetouch and the rest who over charge for the picture, turn around and rape your wallet for the yearbook that said picture appears.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: October 08, 2009 06:51PM

Consumer Advocate Wrote:
> I think some are missing the point. Pictures are
> inexpensive and should be even less so when
> purchased as a group as in students of a PUBLIC
> school. Not marked up...way up. Of course it
> would be easy to go to Wal Mart to have them done
> or to simply take them yourself, but it's exciting
> for the children when the pictures are ditributed
> at school and even more fun when the yearbooks
> come out and the kids hudddle in groups to find
> themselves, their teachers and their friends.
> School pictures are a tradition that most kids
> don't want to be left out of. We shouldn't let
> companies like Lifetouch and memory Makers make it
> cost prohibitive for families to take part in that
> tradition.

Yeah, don't embarass your kid by being a cheap fuck!

There are ridiculous mark-ups on lots of things...suck it up for your kid's sake.!

Posted by: aparent ()
Date: October 08, 2009 06:53PM

Don't be fools. Your PTA is the one raping your wallet on the price. The pictures and yearbook are FUNDRAISERS for your school. Most schools make about 40% profit from the pictures and yearbooks.

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: October 08, 2009 07:52PM

I remember having my pictures done by LifeTouch in 9th grade. When I got the pictures back, it appeared that they darkened my skin tone in the photo. It was then that my mom actually told to me that I am a mulatto.

Date: October 09, 2009 10:00AM

Dear Miss Tubby,

I can quite assure you that being cost conscious in this economy and standing up for one's principals has nothing to do with "sucking it up" as you say. You must consider yourself quite fortunate to be so eager to pay for "ridiculously marked -up" products. Good for you ma'am. My children certainly don't miss out or suffer any embarassment. Had you read first instead going head first in to gutter speak, you'd see that I've simply advised on how to secure substantial discounts from these companies whose goal it is to make large profits from public school families.

Posted by: pgen's MC ()
Date: October 09, 2009 10:30AM

fuck yeah its a racket! just send your fricken kid over to the pgen's MC clubhouse with 20 bucks and we will take a polaroid of em and send em back. that or send em in with a 6 pack of beer and we will do it all right and proffesional like.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: October 09, 2009 07:38PM

Consumer Advocate Wrote:
> I think some are missing the point. Pictures are
> inexpensive and should be even less so when
> purchased as a group as in students of a PUBLIC
> school. Not marked up...way up. Of course it
> would be easy to go to Wal Mart to have them done
> or to simply take them yourself, but it's exciting
> for the children when the pictures are ditributed
> at school and even more fun when the yearbooks
> come out and the kids hudddle in groups to find
> themselves, their teachers and their friends.
> School pictures are a tradition that most kids
> don't want to be left out of. We shouldn't let
> companies like Lifetouch and memory Makers make it
> cost prohibitive for families to take part in that
> tradition.

Okay, how do you propose to force this Lifetouch outfit to lower it's prices? Every company's goal is to "make large profits". Seems to me the only way is to boycott their product....thereby depriving your kid of the joy that you described.

Your kids must be very mature...my kid would be embarrassed if I didn't cough up the school picture money. My kid also likes Cheerios, and I buy them even though that 5 dollar box of cereal probably costs 10 cents to produce.

You're just pissed at FCPS....nothing they could ever do would gain your approval.

Date: October 10, 2009 09:10AM

Dear Miss Tubby,

Once again you make assumptions.
1. My children did not miss out on picture day.
As I pointed out, you may CALL in an order just for "extras", say 2 5x7s, and not have to pay for a package that has 20-40 pictures that you don't need or want.
2.I don't hold any contempt for FCPS. I'm quite pleased in fact over some of their recent votes.
3.Five dollars for Cherrios? Good Heavens where do you shop?

Posted by: mhmm ()
Date: October 16, 2009 05:51PM

I'm still in school...and I (well not me, my parents) USED to buy the packages but then I realized how stupid and expensive they are. In my school anyways, for the Fall Pictures, you pay first and then get the picture which is stupid because what if you look bad? They are retakes but what if you look bad in them too? This year I didn't pay for it and my picture turned out so good, actually one that I liked but I couldn't buy it anymore. Though I don't really care, it's just a picture. It's going to be in the yearbook so I will still have the picture..in smaller form. And then the spring ones, nobody really pays for them.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 16, 2009 06:10PM

mhmm Wrote:
> you pay first and then get the picture which is stupid
> because what if you look bad?

Then don't look bad.

> They are retakes but what if you look bad in them too?

Then don't look bad again.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: fcps parent ()
Date: October 17, 2009 09:29PM

Before picture day they ask for the money for it to be sent in beforehand; if you don't pay, they don't take the photo. So what's the big flipping deal? If you think they're overpriced, lousy packages, just don't pay and they won't take the picture. As far as the yearbook, at my kid's elementary school, for those kids who didn't do Lifetouch, and there's a lot, they just take a good digital photo with an ordinary camera and use that.

Posted by: Smartie ()
Date: November 05, 2009 08:26AM

I agree with Consumer Advocate. There is a law, you know, that if anyone sends you an unsolicited package of any type, you DO NOT have to pay for it. You didn't ask for it, so keep your money and send those pics out with the Christmas cards like always without feeling cheap or guilty. Don't feel sorry for LifeTouch. It's an old trick my Great-Grandfather used to use as a photographer. Show up at the house, take photos of the kiddies, bring back the pics to show to the parents, and they'd feel so bad about giving them back they'd pay for them even if they couldn't afford it. He made money doing this during the Depression! My kids have no idea whether I paid for them or not, so no embarrassment and I'm well within my rights.
On the other hand, DO NOT make copies with your scanner of the prints. Oddly enough, that would be against the law (copyright infringement).

Posted by: Jack ()
Date: November 05, 2009 01:24PM

The correct answer is (a), racket.

Posted by: Lorish ()
Date: December 07, 2009 03:31PM

Return the photos if you don't want to buy them, they recycle the paper, don't steal them your school has to pay Lifetouch for every unreturned package and that hurts your children and your school, your community. What a bunch of immature adults on this site. Be a grown up! Show some class and be a good role model for your child. They are proud of their photos be excited to see them. Explain why or why not you'll keep them. You'll love having annual photos (from anywhere) some day.

Posted by: Lorish ()
Date: December 07, 2009 03:32PM

What a bunch of immature adults on this site. Be a grown up! Show some class and be a good role model for your child. Return the photos if you don't want to buy them, they recycle the paper, don't steal them your school has to pay Lifetouch for every unreturned package and that hurts your children and your school, your community. They are proud of their photos be excited to see them. Explain why or why not you'll keep them. You'll love having annual photos (from anywhere) some day.

Posted by: Truthsquad ()
Date: December 07, 2009 03:59PM

You all are CHEAP parents...becasue of your cheapness your kids will be a menace to society. Cheapasses!!!

Posted by: Gamblin-man ()
Date: December 07, 2009 09:03PM

These "adults" are saving picture money to go play Blackjack at Charlestown. They have 6 months to save up some moola.

Posted by: Jon Katz ()
Date: December 08, 2009 09:28AM

Perhaps if you would ask your school and/or school district not to demand endless services like ID Cards, Digital Directories, 2 different types of CD's,etc. and then ask for a commission on every package sold, your pictures wouldn't be quite so expensive!! The company has to make a profit!!!

Posted by: dave ()
Date: December 08, 2009 09:30AM

What kind of buying tools are you talking about?

Posted by: KW ()
Date: December 08, 2009 09:39AM

Have you ever looked at facebook and seen what people are posting? And I mean the older facebook folks, they are posting old school pictures of themselves and their friends. Wow where did they get those? Just remember when your children are in their 20's and 30's and don't have school pictures, just the blurry cheezy under exposed birthday/holiday photos you took with your $20 walmart digital camera printed on cheap bound to fade paper. Save your money for the crap that they play with for two weeks and then you send to the landfill. Whichever company you use school pictures are about memories not about saving a penny.

Posted by: WK ()
Date: December 08, 2009 10:26AM

KW Wrote:
> Have you ever looked at facebook and seen what
> people are posting? And I mean the older facebook
> folks, they are posting old school pictures of
> themselves and their friends. Wow where did they
> get those? Just remember when your children are
> in their 20's and 30's and don't have school
> pictures, just the blurry cheezy under exposed
> birthday/holiday photos you took with your $20
> walmart digital camera printed on cheap bound to
> fade paper. Save your money for the crap that
> they play with for two weeks and then you send to
> the landfill. Whichever company you use school
> pictures are about memories not about saving a
> penny.

Back in the day, school/class photos were about all people had for a picture memory. True, moron, old farts use these only photos today for Facebook cuz that is all they got. That is not the case with kids today. There are so many digital memories of every move your child makes, from the security cams at 7-11 to the 5,000 shots taken by cell phones at drunken high school bashes--who needs these special, overpriced Lifetouch mememories? Oh yeah, old fart,prepare yourself for a world without printed memories. It is called digital for a reason.

Posted by: mommy ()
Date: May 07, 2010 11:53PM

I wouldn't consider it stealing...rather doing them a favor. The law considers unsolicited items, including photographs, a gift. It is your decision whether or not to send them back. Much like recieving unordered item in the mail...they send you a bill but you are under no obligation to pay for the item, nor to return it. They know this, but unfortunately most people pay anyway.

Posted by: mommy ()
Date: May 08, 2010 12:09AM

Our local school was getting $1 per kid. But when the price went up for pics, the school opted to turn down the $1 in return for lower prices for the families. Keep in mind we are a small school in a very poor district and many of us parents have close ties and relationships with employees/board members of the schools in our area. Personally, many of us around here agree the price is still too high, as well as have many other complaints of LifeTouch. The school has heard, and IS in the process of looking for another studio for the pictures. Hopefully a new company is the answer. Anyway, my biggest issue with LifeTouch was the unsolicited spring pictures. What right have they to use my child in their little scam? But, back to the point...the schools really don't receive much, and some don't receive any.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: May 08, 2010 03:22AM

Life Touch sucks ass because they don't even give a shit if your childs hair is combed for the picture. Life Touch has had a consistant track record of suck.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: Reason ()
Date: May 08, 2010 10:29AM

I would bet that if each class asked for a parent volunteer(s) to take pictures, someone would step forward. Several pictures could be taken and sent out electronically (and parents could choose the one they liked best). Then a nominal fee could be charged for the parent's time and as a donation to the class for materials, etc. (tough budget times). Many people have digital cameras that do a very good job and are easy to use. Parents can print their own copies. This is what we do for our Christmas letters, etc. Works well.

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: May 08, 2010 10:44AM

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> Life Touch sucks ass because they don't even give
> a shit if your childs hair is combed for the
> picture. Life Touch has had a consistant track
> record of suck.

Have him sport a mini 'hawk and no combing required. :)

Posted by: gosh ()
Date: May 09, 2010 03:41PM

Either buy or don't buy the picture. It's that easy. Every kid gets their picture taken if they are in school. Every kid is in the yearbook whether you buy the pictures or not. This is not a big freakin deal. Parents spend boat loads of money on their kids and then they "make a point" of not buying school pictures because they are too expensive. Please spare me that crap. Let's stop having the tail wag the dog. Don't change the whole process just because of a few cheap ass parents.

Posted by: sirchap ()
Date: May 09, 2010 05:52PM

Not all schools use lifetouch. I build a school yearbook every year and have used different companies. My school CERTAINLY DOES NOT get 40% of sales. We make a slight bit of money off each book and price it close to our actual price so many kids can get it. The world isn't evil. Neither are the schools.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 09, 2010 06:46PM

Fairfax22032 Wrote:
> The best place around is Portrait Innovations in
> Fair Lakes (near Whole Foods). The $9.95 package
> is amazing and we never felt a hard sell if we
> turned down optional products.

The setup is nice, though they do indeed have an upsell and we almost had to ask a manager to help an employee there give us what we wanted. And make sure you eye the final pics carefully for blurriness... one came home blurry and we should have looked more carefully at the pic we chose. But all of that said it was less expensive than the school pic rackets.

Posted by: Marci ()
Date: May 10, 2010 11:17PM

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> Life Touch sucks ass because they don't even give
> a shit if your childs hair is combed for the
> picture. Life Touch has had a consistant track
> record of suck.

LifeTouch photographers can not touch the kids, that means combing hair as well, teachers can and some do and some dont, Hopefully you get some parents to come in and help groom the kids.

Posted by: Community Advocate ()
Date: May 11, 2010 08:04AM

School pictures are a tradition in America. They serve as an incredible fundraiser as well as an esteem builder for every student. To complain about a package of pictures that may cost between $12-$30 is crazy. For $20 you can purchase a memory of your child. You could also take your family to McDonalds for about the same money. Even buy 6-7 gallons of gas for your car - all which last but 1 day. Many of the programs and school supplies are funded by the picture day fundraiser. In our community the schools receive 25% of the proceeds. Packages start at $12 and go as high as $50. If you subtract sales tax and the profit for the school, that $12 package is cheaper than you could purchase from Walmart! Considering most households own a digital camera, never print their photos, and 1 in 3 computers have spyware or a virus - this moment becomes quite important.

Posted by: justcurious ()
Date: July 08, 2010 11:30AM

This is funny. ThriftyTom says the quality is better at Penny's or Walmart. TT should do some research and he might find out something interesting about who does the photography for Walmart and Penny's.

Posted by: easy to do ()
Date: July 11, 2010 04:33PM

I just printed about 10 pictures yesterday. I used premium photographic paper and I have a nice color printer and they look great. I sent some to each of the grandparents. Cheap and wonderful (and I can print more if they want them). I don't get the self esteem thing (someone mentioned self esteem with school pictures). You've got to be kidding.

Date: July 31, 2010 12:23AM

I am negotiating a contract to provide photography for a charter school. It has been pretty insightful to read ALL the comments written here. I am quite surprised at the use of the word 'racket' when talking about the price structure. As a photographer you have to consider production cost when setting pricing. And the photographer or company provides jobs for a lot of people that have families to support. Most photographers will offer very inexpensive packages, but then you have to factor in the request of the school to raise funds or meet some other financial need which may increase the price, but benefits your child in the end.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: July 31, 2010 02:24PM

School Pictures are a significant fundraiser for the schools.

The Commonwealth gets 5%.

The school photographer provides archival products to both the school and the county as part of the contract at no charge to the school or the county.

The school photographer photographs teams, club and candid pictures at no charge for the yearbook.

All children are photographed regardless of purchase so the cost to parents who purchase also covers the cost of providing the service to parents that don't purchase.

Scanning has increased the theft rate.

The cost of pictures has basicly not risen much in the last five years while the quality has increased tremendously. For example, parents can now choose their background when this technology was not available on a few years ago.

In order to provide quality photographers to work with children, they need to be paid living wages and benefits. School pictures cost about the same as a meal at McDonalds and most people would say its the first thing you would grab as you are leaving a burning house.

Not a bad deal.

Posted by: Ex LT Employee ()
Date: August 06, 2010 01:24AM

Hey Everyone, I know this is a late add to the thread, but here's how it works...

Lifetouch has a base price, schools pick the amount of commission they receive back, this is how your packages are priced. If you are unhappy, talk to your school's principal, they make the decision, typically. Also, the "free" packages in the Spring are not free, if you like you buy, if you don't you send back. The LT territory I worked for had these photos shredded and recycled ( or at least that's what I was told). In the Fall, if you want a single sheet, as in one of the "extras" like a 8x10 or 5x7, wait till retakes and send your kid with an order...the computer doesn't allow the photographers to enter it in on picture day, but will allow it on retakes...

What else...yes photocopying is illegal, unless you call the local office and ask them to release the rights to that photo. The photographers get paid a really crappy wage, they typically have to photograph on a schedule set by the school, and most of the time they get no "breaks" or lunches. You get up at 4:30 AM, drive to school, set-up, and work on your feet all day without a break...you may end up taking crappy pictures too! There's always more going on than you may realize...thats all I'm saying... If you really want to see it, volunteer that day...you may get a free package for helping out.

Posted by: Ex LT Employee ()
Date: August 06, 2010 01:30AM

Oh yeah...

Lifetouch portrait divisions is in JCPenny's, Target, and Clicks (in the mall)

Posted by: tmill9 ()
Date: August 06, 2010 12:02PM

You got it! The school gets a kickback that goes into the principal's fund!!!!! This is definately something to be investigated. First of all, they are wasting a good part of the school day for it, tell me what educational value is being derived from "picture day".

something sinister here Wrote:
> No kidding guys-someone needs to file a FOIA
> request with FCPS to see what their kickback is.
>
> I guarantee you the schools are getting a piece of
> the action-that is why the markup is so high.

Posted by: james johnson ()
Date: October 08, 2010 04:41PM

This is breaking copyright laws and you can be liable for every image produced.

Posted by: two arguments here ()
Date: October 08, 2010 05:06PM

Screw the individual pictures-you can have them taken anywhere. What I don't like is the outlandish mark-up on the class and team photos.

Those are nice to have and you can't get those elsewhere for cheap.

I am sick and tired of the schools treating me like an atm machine.

Posted by: I know the truth ()
Date: October 09, 2010 11:02PM

The FCPS procurement office creates a set of commission standards that photo companies must follow, and each school gets to pick their vendor and decide how to use the commission. Vendors also take candid photos for the yearbook, provide student IDS, etc., as part of their contract.

In regards to yearbooks, FCPS has an approved vendor list. schools rarely make profit, as profits have to buy the yearbook staff cameras, computers, etc.

Posted by: another racket ()
Date: October 10, 2010 03:13PM

Based on my son's yearbook from last year (and it cost $70), I would say that the school made a profit. It was pretty horrible---lots of clubs and activities were missing and it looked like it was put together the night before. I don't think they spent much on computers, etc.

Posted by: mary ()
Date: December 16, 2010 01:16PM

Lifetouch does not ask your permisdsion to take pictures of your children but they will take the phot whether you want them to or not. Then they send the photos home with your children and expect you to pay a lot of money for something you never ordered. I have NEVER paid for their pictures because they never turn out well. I definitely would not semd pictures of my child back to the company. That is my child and no one has rights to pictures of him but me! No one has ever questioned that I do not pay for them or return them. They know they do not have rights to them. This is their lousy business practice so they get what they deserve in my opinion.

Posted by: Life touch is a scam ()
Date: December 16, 2010 01:20PM

They took a picture with my childs eyes closed, he is only five. During the retake I did not get the $50.00 package I had first paid for. I called and was never sent the photos. Never again will I give them money.

Posted by: Joyce A ()
Date: April 11, 2011 10:23PM

Better yet........go to JCPenney Portraits. Their quality beats Wal Mart by miles.

Posted by: Joyce A ()
Date: April 11, 2011 10:30PM

The companies recycle the paper. Yes, it would be stealing. The pictures are copyright protected, not that it stops some people from stealing them. What goes around, comes around.

Posted by: never paid ()
Date: April 12, 2011 11:12AM

I agree the pictures are copyrighted, and you should not scan them, etc. But Lifetouch comes into the school, takes pictures of my child without permission, and then sends me a package I have not asked for and demands payment. As I tell my wife, they are welcome to have the pictures back - just drop by my house and pick them up. I have never paid for what they send home unrequested, and I never will.

They could save a lot of trees and annoyance if they sent out proofs - here's the picture we took, would you like some? Instead, they compel you to buy sight unseen, which does not help on the quality of the pictures. If they have your check in hand before even taking the picture, what's the motivation to get one with the eye's open, hair combed, etc?

Posted by: G01NHAM ()
Date: April 12, 2011 11:32AM

snappy Wrote:
> Angua1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My son didn't care one way or another if we
> bought
> > his school pictures. Those LifeTouch picture
> > packages are so screwy and expensive I'd never
> > pre-order for his pictures. He'd be sent home
> with
> > a mega-pack of pictures and we'd send them
> right
> > back. I hate having to part with a picture of
> my
> > kid, so it was tough sending the pics back. But
> > I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a
> > pseudo-studio photo when I can get something
> > better at Target or Penny's for less.
> >
> > My daughter's different. She wants the pictures
> so
> > this morning I tried to figure out the mess of
> > package deals. I figured I could buy her a
> sheet
> > of wallets. Wow, what a racket. They put so
> much
> > stuff into these packages then your only option
> to
> > buy exactly what you want is to remove stuff
> from
> > an inflated package. You can't just buy a
> couple
> > of sheets. It looks purposefully complicated to
> > force people to buy more than they need.
> >
> > Do all FCPS schools use LifeTouch? Has anyone
> ever
> > managed to change their picture day vendor and
> are
> > ANY vendors using more up-to-date buying tools?
>
>
> We just keep them without paying. The
> non-pre-paid pkg. comes home at the end of the
> school year during SOL season. Nobody ever says
> anything or probably even cares. Or if you feel
> the need to pay, buy one and scan it. These days
> who needs to buy these things? Maybe the folks
> that still bronze their baby crocs. They only use
> these for the yearbook.

That is a good idea.

Just Scan them and print one or however many you want youreself

Posted by: no way ()
Date: April 12, 2011 11:36AM

Joyce A Wrote:
> The companies recycle the paper. Yes, it would be
> stealing. The pictures are copyright protected,
> not that it stops some people from stealing them.
> What goes around, comes around.

It's not stealing to keep something that someone has sent you unrequested.

Posted by: scam ()
Date: April 12, 2011 01:29PM

I did not request or want the photo packages. I also do not want photos of my kids floating around. I guess they are mine to keep.

(this is the SECOND photo package of the year)

Posted by: student ()
Date: April 12, 2011 02:47PM

lifetouch sucks. they lost my pictures after i preordered and i didnt even show up in the yearbook.

Posted by: Vicki ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:48PM

Yes, that is definitely stealing - copyright infringement!

Posted by: rid schoolsof lifetouch ()
Date: April 20, 2011 11:45AM

It seems everyone out there is concerned about Lifetouch's prices or the poor quality of their pictures. Well if you think thats bad, check out their "Smile-Safe Kids" program. This program is a waste of precious time should (god forbid) something happen to your child. You, as a parent are to go to the police give them all the information. Then you have the police call Lifetouch, who then has to call you and to give them permission to release the picture of your child and then send them written authorization. This what they claim to be rapid response in the event of an emergency.
Further, know one seems to know what happens to them once their in the database or how long they keep them. We are currently struggling to get our child of it and are being ignored by Lifetouch. Call and ask to get your child removed and you will recieve a letter about how secure their system is and a request form. The form contains language that there could be reprocussions should they have to do this. There are references made that your child may not be able to participate many school activities.
They want you to indimnify and hold them harmless should any problems arise from their having to delete this information. And to top it all want you to have the principal sign this request form.
Our child was put into this database without our permission.
And, will "NEVER" sit in front of a lifetouch camera again!

Posted by: Firefly ()
Date: April 21, 2011 11:05AM

I hope you reported that to the BBB.

Also, any of you who had a similar major rip-off, should be reporting them to the BBB. That is worse than scanning and copying!

I called LifeTouch to ask for copyright permission to reproduce one 5" x 7" picture and was told they would send me a CD for $25 with the shot on it and permission to copy and reproduce one shot. How cheap are blank CDs? Geez...and I would have to take the CD to a photo shop to get the copy made!

Date: May 04, 2011 01:39PM

We have gone to the local police with this issue and talked to them about the "Operation Safe Child" program. With the cops program you can get a your child fingerprinted, photographed get the "Id.card" and have the option to have this information databased are not. And even though lifetuoch is doing something even they can not do (databasing) without our permission and agree that the "Smile Safe Kids is nothing more than a gimmick for lifetouch to get into the schools, they are siding with the school administration. The school adminitration says, well their system is secure and we should not worry about it. The fact still remains our childs' image is in their database without our permission. LIfetouch claims they get permission for this from their order form. Yet, there is not a place for a signature. There is no way to opt out of this worthless program. We have talked to a lawyer about this and were told we should be talking to the FBI.
Further, this copyrighting stuff needs to be changed. While we as parents can not enjoy maybe making a copy of our childs; picture, maybe trying to save a few bucks. We can not. Our concern is that because they claim copyright to our childrens' images that might feel as though they can maybe turn around and sell these them. Google stock student school portraits. While I have not found any of Lifetouch's work out there yet Iam still looking. One company has over 18 million photos for sale. There is big money in selling student photos.

Date: May 04, 2011 01:44PM

Fact check:

School portraits are sold as a fund raiser for schools, PTA/PTO/PTSA organizations, and other school related groups such as bands, teams, and senior classes.

A portion of the price paid is a rebate to, or "commission" for the school or sponsoring organization. This money covers a wide range of extra expenses that school districts and organizations could not afford otherwise. Commission rates vary widely by region. The lower the commission, generally, the more portraits are sold, and the *larger* the total revenue in the commission check, since parents are very price sensitive.

Another portion of the price paid covers the cost of "service items" used in the schools. The school's yearbook images, barcoded ID cards used to buy lunch and check out books, rotary cards used by the office staff, images used in the school's administrative information systems, indexed photo albums used by the principal and the lunchroom staff... Any or all of these are part of the prices of portrait packages. It is not at all unusual for the cost of these items to total $4 to $5 per student photographed.

So when you buy school portraits, you are supporting your school.

Lifetouch is the largest employee-owned company school portrait company in the business, operating with local representatives and photographers in 50 states and Canada. They also have studios in JC Penney, Target, and other stores. Prestige Portraits is a Lifetouch company.

Many other photography companies compete with Lifetouch regionally, locally, and nationally. There are hundreds of members of the Professional School Photographers of America, an arm of the Photo Marketing Association International.

School portraiture is a tradition dating back to the early 20th century. School photographers have a symbiotic relationship with their host schools. There is no obligation to buy, but it is a good idea to have your child photographed so the school can do its job.

The advent of inexpensive digital cameras has made it easier for parents to get great photos. However, almost all reputable school picture companies will do a reasonable job, backed with a "like it or we'll give your money back" guarantee. Additionally, most reputable companies are now selling their digital images outright, and/or offering hundreds of photo novelty items online, through secure web sites.

As a member of the photo industry, I can tell you that most of us want our customers to get a pleasing product at a fair price. That's how we earn the privilege of returning next year! I've worked for several large portrait companies over the years, and all of them are committed to excellence.

As with any consumer product, it helps to understand what you are getting. It also helps to communicate your concerns to the company in writing when things are not to your satisfaction. Letters reaching management usually yield a satisfying response.

Posted by: .,. ()
Date: May 04, 2011 01:49PM

For 8 years, the family photo album was also the yearbook, yet somehow I did not get struck by a bolt of lightening because my parents did not pay for overpriced shit.

Date: May 04, 2011 07:41PM

While it is true that buying pictures helps support the school we will be supplying our childs' school with the pictures they need. This fact has been made perfectly clear to the school. While I am not a professional photographer,from what i have seen of the photos from lifetouch, I can take a far better photo than whom ever lifetouch sent to our childs' school.
I,also hope that whatever other competing companies are out there, they are not running a scam the way lifetouch is.
Also, we have not been able find out what lifetouch does with the images in their database, remember nothing is ever completely deleted. The only thing we have been able to find out is that they shred the returned ones. Supposedly. They claim their system is secure. So have so many other companies.
We kept our child home from school on spring picture day. It took a phone call from the principal and a guarantee from her that our child would not be put in front lifetouch's camera before we brought them to school for the rest of the day.
Further if we have our way about this matter and can get a few other parents on board, lifetouch will not even be allowed in the school district.

Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: May 04, 2011 07:52PM

rid schoolsof lifetouch Wrote:
> Further if we have our way about this matter and
> can get a few other parents on board, lifetouch
> will not even be allowed in the school district.

Keep us posted!

Date: May 04, 2011 10:33PM

Have any other parents tried or in the process of trying to get their childs' photo removed from lifetouch's database?

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: May 04, 2011 10:42PM

A couple of points. I've seen ads for photographers on craigslist to shoot school pix. ANYONE can apply it appears, as they don't seem to require much in the way of qualifications. The pay listed was $10/hr as I recall. Thus the crappy photos. Though I really have no idea if the ads were for LifeTouch or not.

No one is forcing you to buy the photos, or to have your kid photographed. Tell your kid, tell the kid's teacher, and the principal that you don't want them photographed. I stopped sending in the prepayment a long time ago. They send a photo proof shot and a 'did you forget to order?' form. Them I know if the photographer had any idea what they were doing and I can decide if I want to purchase actual photos or not.

As for removing the image from their database, I would imagine writing them a letter (and keeping a copy) asking for the removal and confirmation of said removal should be sufficient. They really aren't trying to piss you off, just run a business.

Posted by: rid schools of lifetouch ()
Date: May 05, 2011 10:58PM

So much for imagination, it has been almost 3 months since lifetouch has received a "certified letter" from us. We have yet to receive anything from them. Sorry am not interested who is posting ads looking for photographers and if shadow would read a couple of postings back they could see that we made it perfectly clear to the school we will be supplying our school with the necessary pictures they need.
Anyone can apply for a job anywhere. It is a matter of which applicant gets the job.
And it is to late we're already "Pissed Off"!

Posted by: Caden ()
Date: May 08, 2011 08:11PM

Call the school rep. They will want the continued business.

Date: May 09, 2011 11:07PM

We have talked with the principal, the school administrators and the fund raising raisin group that hired lifetouch. We have been ignored all the way around and keep being told we shouldn't worry, their system is secure. Even the local police said the "Rapid-Response" line on the "Smile-Safe Kids" Id. card was a lie if the parents had to go through so much if just to get a picture released. It can take up to a few hours. And yet none of them are stepping up to the plate and assist us in dealing with this matter. Although police did say say they would see about no running the "Smile-Safe Kids" program in the district. THe police run are far more legitimate identification for the same price "Free". You as a parent have a choice of having your childs; photo put in their database or not. And if not you get the Id. card then information they put in for the Id. is destroyed. Lifetouch does the databasing wthout our knowledge or permission, it is only after youget the cards that you can figure out what happened.

Posted by: momofkindergartener ()
Date: May 26, 2011 01:04AM

Haha! I'm cracking up at your comment. It is so correct! No one looks like that in a normal setting! I'm furious with this company right now, as I paid for the package on picture day, got the picture package, and weeks later I got a notice that I need to pay for my picture package. They can shove it! I paid already. I'm finding website after website about this company doing this to people.

Posted by: Next year ()
Date: May 26, 2011 07:28AM

Take your child out on picture day.

Great time to see DC with your child.

Life touch will never take another photo of my kids.

Posted by: just got this ()
Date: May 26, 2011 10:54AM

Just got this from the principal at my kids school:

"Please return either payment or spring pictures TOMORROW. All pictures that are not returned by tomorrow will be billed."

WTF - I didn't order it, want it, give permission for it, etc. This is such BS. I've got sign a permission slip for every activity, my kid can't have an Advil without a note from home, but FCPS can send these crappy pictures home and then start acting as the collections agent for Lifetouch??????

Date: August 02, 2011 01:12PM

Well another school year is geting closer. And I am wondering how many parents out there are fighting to get Lifetouch out of their schools? Or if they are going to keep their children home from school on picture day? It has now been nearly six months since Lifetouch has received our "certified letter" and still no response. Is this the way any legitimate company runs their business? Everyone out can be assured vthat all hell is giong to break loose at our daughters' school before lifetouch even gets there this year. And there will be letters sent to the attoreny generals offices in Wisconson, Indiana ( where we were directed to send our demand for removal be sent), and the attorney general in New York where we live. Well thats all for now. Hope to some responses soon. Or if there are "new" sights with other people that hate lifetouch please post them for us. Thanks!

Posted by: Boycott LT ()
Date: August 02, 2011 01:16PM

My kids like to be in the school yearbook so I let it slide.

I do agree that LT is total scam.

What can we do?

Posted by: BrandonVA ()
Date: August 02, 2011 01:27PM

The only thing a yearbook is good for is if somebody in it becomes really famous and you can sell the thing on ebay.

I need to find mine because two NFL players are in it.

Posted by: one way to go ()
Date: August 02, 2011 03:28PM

I found out that my kids school maintains an opt-out list for pictures. Ask the principal - maybe if enough people opted out, they would stop this crap.

Posted by: that hurts ()
Date: August 02, 2011 03:39PM

just make sure to wear the right kind of shirt and that they dont crop the pictures
Attachments:
bad-school-photo.jpg

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 17, 2011 04:38PM

WOW!! JUST RUMMAGING THE NET, AND FOUND THIS? ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS?MAYBE IT IS THE QUALITY OF THE PEOPLE IN YOUR STATE OR TOWN... LIFETOUCH IS THE ONLY PHOTO COMPANY THAT I WOULD WANT TO PHOTOGRAPH MY CHILDREN. IN MY EXPERIENCE THE PHOTOGRAPHERS PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO DETAILS SUCH AS HAIR, CLOTHING ETC. BESIDES YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR CHILD READY FOR PICTURE DAY.AND JUST A NOTE, LIFETOUCH OWNS THE PORTRAIT STUDIOS AT BOTH TARGET AND JCPENNEY, SO IF YOU THINK YOU ARE BEING A WISE CONSUMER BY TAKING YOUR CHILDREN THERE... SURPRISE!!, IN MY OPINION YOU ARE. LIFETOUCH IS AN EMPLOYEE OWNED COMPANY, SO ALL THE SALES GO RIGHT BACK IN THE EMPLOYEES POCKETS, WHETHER IT IS AT YOUR SCHOOL, TARGET OR PENNEYS... SMILE! YOU MAY BE ON CAMERA!

Posted by: Sandra ()
Date: September 19, 2011 10:48PM

Picture day is tomorrow and I have notice 'Payment Due at Camera'. Is it necessary to pay? Will my children still be included in the yearbook? It's unclear to me in the flyer if I have the option to only have my children in the yearbook and not have the packages of photos? The front desk of the school say it's o.k. not to fill-in the FCPS flyer, not pay and my children will still be included in the yearbook photos. Am I misinformed by the school staff? Thank you.

Date: September 28, 2011 01:26PM

well, today is school picture day at school and of course our daughter is not there. This is even though we were assured by the principal her picture would not be taken. We don't trust lifetouch enough to believe they wouldn't try to do it anyway. There are to many horror stories outthere about it happening or having had happened. Unsolicited photos, Oh my! What is even scarier is the thought of the "database" that they maintain under the guise of "smile safe kids". We know that it can take several hours to get a photograph released from them if God forbid something were to happen to your child. This program is worthless and lifetouch should stick to taking pictures.(Only joking). Lifetouch shouldn't be in the photography businees either. The Smile safe kids program is a gimmick used by lifetouch to help get them in the door.I found out today while investing that lifetouch pays the NCMEC an amount of money per number of id cards they hand out.
Google,apps.sos.wv.gov/business/charities/readpdf.aspx?DocID=130555. Or do as i did and type in "donations made lifetouch to ncmec" then find "Agreement" and read that. Anyway I was talking to the State Police up here in New York and raised issued with some of this and hopefully raised enough eyebrows to maybe get an investigation started into some of their practices.
Also I see there are starting to be more lifeouch disliker sights out there.
Bravo for this, maybe one day soon we will truly be able to "Rid schools of lifetouch"!

Posted by: Today is picture day? ()
Date: September 28, 2011 02:02PM

High school?

Posted by: Call me ()
Date: September 28, 2011 09:53PM

Sandra Wrote:
> Picture day is tomorrow and I have notice 'Payment
> Due at Camera'. Is it necessary to pay? Will my
> children still be included in the yearbook? It's
> unclear to me in the flyer if I have the option to
> only have my children in the yearbook and not have
> the packages of photos? The front desk of the
> school say it's o.k. not to fill-in the FCPS
> flyer, not pay and my children will still be
> included in the yearbook photos. Am I misinformed
> by the school staff? Thank you.

I have not sent payment in years for those over priced and mediocre packages. CALL in your order ON picture day or shortly after. You don't have to buy the pricey packages that way.

Posted by: logicaldog ()
Date: September 29, 2011 05:50AM

It is a racket and I was impressed that my sons school negotiated a basic $10 packet where everyone gets same number of pictures, etc., with a different company (you know the way it used to be), if you absolutely have to get screwed by buying more you can do that seperately. It is a HUGE ripoff.

Posted by: Call me ()
Date: September 29, 2011 06:30AM

logicaldog Wrote:
> It is a racket and I was impressed that my sons
> school negotiated a basic $10 packet where
> everyone gets same number of pictures, etc., with
> a different company (you know the way it used to
> be), if you absolutely have to get screwed by
> buying more you can do that seperately. It is a
> HUGE ripoff.

+1 That is awesome! Every school should offer that because so few people know that you can call and order a la carte.

Posted by: Billy Joel ()
Date: September 30, 2011 10:31AM

Great idea!! Teach your children how to cheat and steal!! Return the pictures if you don't want them...no one is making you buy. FYI...learn to spell.

Posted by: Eyes ()
Date: November 05, 2011 08:01PM

Am I the only one to mention that not purchasing your child's school photo does not mean they won't be in the year book? Why in the world would that make a difference? When you buy a package, do you personally give the school one of them to use? No, they have them archived somehow, or, you can send your own picture in.

And as far as it being a "fund-raiser" I'll fund my school in activities where they are getting 100% of the profit, not in a racket like Picture Day

And all these self-righteous-saps saying we are teaching our kids to lie and steal, I find it hard to believe you have never done something so similar, say download a song from Limewire or whatever it is now.

Don't be a hypocritical ass folks.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.