HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Landlord pays high price for renter's medical marijuana grow-op. 'A grow-op, whether legal or not, is still a high-risk activity,' Insurance Bureau says
Date: February 27, 2017 04:24PM

Landlord pays high price for renter's medical marijuana grow-op. 'A grow-op, whether legal or not, is still a high-risk activity,' Insurance Bureau says
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/go-public-medical-marijuana-landlord-tenant-insurance-pulled-1.3985875

Longtime landlord Darryl Spencer was left scrambling for insurance after discovering a tenant was growing dozens of medical marijuana plants inside and outside his rental house.

When the landlord told his insurance company about the perfectly legal grow-op, his coverage was cancelled, leaving him with no insurance, few rights and a big cleanup bill.

Spencer says the downstairs tenant in the Kamloops, B.C., rental property got a medical marijuana licence that allowed him to legally grow as many as 60 plants without his landlord's permission or knowledge.

A call from a concerned neighbour prompted Spencer, who is also a retired fire inspector, to check out the home he's rented out to different tenants for a decade.

He discovered a mess of extension cords, fans and bright lights packed into a room filled with dozens of marijuana plants. The upstairs tenant, a woman with a small child, was complaining about heat radiating through the walls and electrical breakers going off.

"I was worried about the fire hazard. That was my first thought because of the extension cords, the use of electricity and that something could catch fire," Spencer told Go Public.

Under new federal rules introduced last August, landlords have little recourse if a tenant is growing licensed medical marijuana. They don't even have the right to know it's happening. Yet it's landlords who are being denied insurance coverage when a tenant is growing medical pot.

Health minister won't appeal court ruling on right to grow medical marijuana
Go Public also found, while the federal government implemented the rules, it wants local authorities to ensure medical grow-operations are being set up and run safely. More than 30,000 people in Canada have permits to grow cannabis for their personal medical use.

Insurance cancelled

When Spencer notified his insurance company about the tenant's grow-op, Gore Mutual Insurance cancelled his coverage.

"They wouldn't cover claims to do with medical marijuana or air quality contamination," he says.

In a statement to Go Public, Gore Mutual Insurance says it "does not provide coverage for marijuana grow-operations regardless of their legality because this type of operation in a residential building presents inherent insurance risks."

Those risks, the company says, include "a greater likelihood of water damage, mould, fire, vandalism and burglary."

Under most basic home insurance policies, marijuana-related damages or anything that companies believe is "high risk" is not covered.

That view is shared by many insurance companies, according to the Insurance Bureau of Canada.

"While regulations may allow for the legal growing of marijuana for medical purposes, it does not change the structural risk grow-ops pose to homes and condos," Andrew McGrath, spokesman for the Insurance Bureau, tells Go Public in an email.

"The operation of a grow-op, whether legal or not, is still a high-risk activity."

Landlord jumps through hoops

Gore Mutual Insurance told Spencer it might reinstate his coverage if he got rid of the tenant and took specific steps to ensure the house was safe to live in.

The insurance company also wanted air and soil testing, plumbing and electrical inspections, and the house checked for mould.

LEGALIZE MARIJUANA IN VIRGINIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/LMVirginia/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landlord pays high price for renter's medical marijuana grow-op. 'A grow-op, whether legal or not, is still a high-risk activity,' Insurance Bureau says
Posted by: Insurance ()
Date: March 02, 2017 05:18AM

Stoner tenants burn your house down.

Insurance doesn't cover it.

They move on.

Re: Landlord pays high price for renter's medical marijuana grow-op. 'A grow-op, whether legal or not, is still a high-risk activity,' Insurance Bureau says
Posted by: DanielLee5 ()
Date: December 26, 2017 10:28AM

I do grow marijuana at home and I am not going to give up. I must admit I grow it for myself and because of love to gardening :) not for sell, it is a significant difference. I am even going to increase the quantity of plants next year and choosing a suitable LED here https://smokeandbuzz.com/ , dunno why I just didn't do that before. I am happy marijuana growing is legal where I live, if itsn't I would 100% move to another city, another state. People are free to grow whatever they want if they don't hurt anybody, just my opinion.

Posted by: CCgPF ()
Date: December 27, 2017 12:21AM

Easy thing to fix. Just pass some zoning laws and make them put up a barn or shed for their gardening at least 100 yeards away from any in habited structure. And get someone with a set of balls voted in that will uphold the zoning laws.

This sort of craziness will get a load of landlords out of the landlord business for sure.

Posted by: The mgmt ()
Date: December 27, 2017 07:55AM

We never rent to stoners. Nothing but problems.

Posted by: America Co. ()
Date: December 27, 2017 09:07AM

Insurance company cancels plan because renters growing plants. That is the real story. If it was tomatoes would this be news? nope. Stigma of a common weed. I am sure the landlord has rights under the lease based on zoning and safety of using that many extension cords though. If not his fault for drafting a poor lease document.

Blame people growing plants to use as medicine. Makes sense in our Corporate-Ruled country.

Posted by: nigga what? ()
Date: December 27, 2017 10:46AM

America Co. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Insurance company cancels plan because renters
> growing plants. That is the real story. If it
> was tomatoes would this be news? nope. Stigma of
> a common weed. I am sure the landlord has rights
> under the lease based on zoning and safety of
> using that many extension cords though. If not
> his fault for drafting a poor lease document.
>
> Blame people growing plants to use as medicine.
> Makes sense in our Corporate-Ruled country.

Right. Keep telling yourself that. Your argument might have a tad more credibility when people start smoking tomato plants, crushing them and selling them in lil baggies.

Posted by: Liquidat1on ()
Date: September 20, 2020 06:34AM

Medical marijuana should be more widespread in our world, because it has many effective components that contribute to faster recovery, as well as getting rid of anxiety, pain and insomnia, even chronic. Checked! And if you grow this plant at home, the best method is to choose the availability of useful and high-quality tools and equipment that contributes to faster growth of the plant. If we talk about where to find something like this I can recommend it to you shopgrowspaces.com where I buy only the best if we are talking about the best version of equipment for growing marijuana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2020 08:57AM by Liquidat1on.

Posted by: Darby Dawg ()
Date: September 20, 2020 08:21AM

what part of Fairfax County is British Columbia in? I'm not familiar.

Posted by: the general mahhdii ()
Date: September 20, 2020 08:41AM

very enlightening

in general, cannabis smokers aren't that enlightened as we can cee from the post

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.