HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Off leash hiking in fairfax
Posted by: Great Dane owne ()
Date: September 29, 2009 12:04AM

Anyone know of good shorter (1-10 or so miles) trails in ffx county? I've been to Hemlock and Bull Run. I've got a great Dane who loves the outdoors and chasing deer, it's great for tiring him out. Thanks guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off leash hiking in fairfax
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 29, 2009 12:36AM

I don't know about National Park Service rules about off leash, but Riverbend and Great Falls parks have long hiking trails.

They've made it practically impossible to use Difficult Run, but even if off leash isn't allowed there, the whole reason they have tried hard to make it inaccessible is because it used to be a drinking hang out for high school kids around the waterfall and in the woods above it. So if you were to off-leash there, you'd probably have just as much of a chance of being busted as the tens of thousands of kids who drank there over the years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 29, 2009 12:46AM

Thurston Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know about National Park Service rules
> about off leash, but Riverbend and Great Falls
> parks have long hiking trails.
>
> They've made it practically impossible to use
> Difficult Run, but even if off leash isn't allowed
> there, the whole reason they have tried hard to
> make it inaccessible is because it used to be a
> drinking hang out for high school kids around the
> waterfall and in the woods above it. So if you
> were to off-leash there, you'd probably have just
> as much of a chance of being busted as the tens of
> thousands of kids who drank there over the years.

Yeah, Difficult Run. I remember when some bums there broke into an acquaintances car and jacked his sound system (At night, like most of the teens chilling there).

Riverbend is a real nice park, and the walk to Great Falls is pleasant enough this time of year as it gets a little cooler. I'd be extremely wary of a dog off leash however, especially given the fast flowing river, the Dam, and of course the Falls. The Goat Path can lead to some injuries as well. (Don't forget about the potential for a Dog-on-Dog Scrap too, which is yet another reason to use a leash).

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: September 29, 2009 01:09AM

LOL I've partied at Difficult Run years ago. There was all sorts of craziness off that trail. All sorts of nudists sunbathing and couples doing it in the woods. I remember sitting at the waterfall with friends and two guys come walking by totally naked with backpacks and walking sticks.

There use to be a cool place to go cliff jumping and skinny dipping over by the Black Pond behind the Maderia girls school.

Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: September 29, 2009 01:39AM

Great Dane owne Wrote:
> Anyone know of good shorter (1-10 or so miles)
> trails in ffx county? I've been to Hemlock and
> Bull Run. I've got a great Dane who loves the
> outdoors and chasing deer, it's great for tiring
> him out. Thanks guys

be careful letting your dog chase deer. it is perfectly legal for hunters or landowners to shoot and kill a dog harassing wild game. just keep that in mind

Posted by: Luke Dogwalker ()
Date: September 29, 2009 12:00PM

National parks have a six-foot leash rule. No loose dogs are allowed (this covers their ass in case of a lawsuit). Almost ALL state and county parks have a similar rule for the same reason. You can often get away with letting your dog run loose but there are a lot of do-gooders in the parks who are just waiting to call a ranger on your ass if they see you letting you dog run loose, so be careful, especially now that everyone carries a cell phone. You don't want to end your hike with a cop or a park ranger waiting to ticket you when you get back to your car.

Personally I love dogs, but I've come across quite a few people who seen to think that dogs are about as dangerous as a lion or a bear even when they are on a leash! Some people are, to put it plainly, insane.

Posted by: walkers ()
Date: September 29, 2009 12:05PM

Luke Dogwalker Wrote:
> National parks have a six-foot leash rule. No
> loose dogs are allowed (this covers their ass in
> case of a lawsuit). Almost ALL state and county
> parks have a similar rule for the same reason.
> You can often get away with letting your dog run
> loose but there are a lot of do-gooders in the
> parks who are just waiting to call a ranger on
> your ass if they see you letting you dog run
> loose, so be careful, especially now that everyone
> carries a cell phone. You don't want to end your
> hike with a cop or a park ranger waiting to ticket
> you when you get back to your car.
>
> Personally I love dogs, but I've come across quite
> a few people who seen to think that dogs are about
> as dangerous as a lion or a bear even when they
> are on a leash! Some people are, to put it
> plainly, insane.

While generally speaking, you are correct. Many dog owners/walkers are equally or even more so insane. Leash laws exist for all beacause there are some that quite frankly are incapable or unwilling to control their dogs. Because of the stupidity of some owners all are required to use a leash.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: September 29, 2009 12:05PM

I'm fine with dogs but not when they go around and shit everywhere and the owner not picking up after it.

Off leash just ensures that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 12:06PM by ITRADE.

Posted by: Mr Captcha ()
Date: September 29, 2009 12:34PM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> be careful letting your dog chase deer. it is
> perfectly legal for hunters or landowners to shoot
> and kill a dog harassing wild game. just keep that
> in mind

It'd be hard to justify discharging a firearm in this area for that, and shooting an erratically running target with a bow would be nearly impossible.

Posted by: American Eagle ()
Date: September 29, 2009 12:40PM

Mr Captcha Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> It'd be hard to justify discharging a firearm in
> this area for that, and shooting an erratically
> running target with a bow would be nearly
> impossible.

I've shot plenty of dogs with my bow over the years. If you practice enough you can get a good aim on them, even if they're running fast. It's not that hard.

Posted by: inKline ()
Date: September 29, 2009 01:53PM

If it is a mellow dog, as long as you are running around behind the dog cleaning up the shits it leaves, no problem.

I can't stand people who let their dogs run and shit all over the place. Clean up after your fucking dog!

Posted by: no justice ()
Date: November 03, 2009 12:54AM

anyone can do whatever the fuck they want because even though there are "laws" about leads, THEY ARE NOT INFORCED. even if someone takes you to court for say.. killing your dog with their dog beacuse they were irresponsible and let theirs off the leash on county property, they will not get in trouble. if something happens to your animal on ffx county property, dont think for a second that the county cares or that the judges will enforce these laws. you will get a bigger fine for letting your dog shit on county property than for letting your dog kill someone elses dog on county property. ask judge finch. he disregards the leash law.

Posted by: SpecialFFX ()
Date: November 05, 2009 04:50PM

Dog owners who take their dog off-leash often assume because their dog is friendly, everything is hunky-dory. Unfortunately:

1. If your dog bites a raccoon/possum, etc, he/she could either die, (even if vaccinated) or at the very least be put in quarantine. Fairfax county is extremely strict with rabies procedures.

2. If your dog runs up to an aggressive dog who is ON-leash, that on-leash dog can (and probably will) attack your dog - there is only so much the other owner can do. The other owner is also justified in kicking/striking your dog. They are not breaking the law, you are.

Please either take your dog jogging on-leash, or go to one of the many dog parks in the area. I'd LOVE for there to be an alternative, but in this county you are putting your dog at risk.

Kudos to the OP for trying to find an approved off-leash trail. I hope you find one.

Posted by: FurfaxTownie ()
Date: June 29, 2011 05:42PM

I've been looking into backpacking trip in the Dolly Sods and it seems WVA is generally lax with dogs being off leash. Its relatively new hiking territory with not a lot of visitors.

Posted by: InternationalWaters ()
Date: October 11, 2012 12:46PM

And that's one of the reasons there are so many strays and homeless pups that come from WVA...

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: October 11, 2012 05:28PM

Way to resurrect a thread from over a year ago.

Dolly Sods is awesome, it's a bit of a drive from the Fairfax area but well worth it. Just don't go messing around with any unexploded ordinance you may find.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.