HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Torre to DC?
Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: October 08, 2006 10:20AM

It appears that George Steinbrenner is going to fire Joe Torre...

http://www.theindychannel.com/mlb/10028273/detail.html

...I know a team at RFK who needs a manager. Wouldn't that kick ass? I might buy a ticket package to see that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Torre to DC?
Posted by: Nik ()
Date: October 08, 2006 05:57PM

I don't know if the Nats are willing to spend as much as Torre is going to want. I see Joe Girardi as a more likely candidate, but we'll wait and see what happens.

But the manager doesn't have that big an impact on the team. Bad players are bad players, no matter who the manager.

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: October 08, 2006 07:55PM

Jim Leyland may disagree with that. Teams that suck before he comes to town consistently improve to playoff status or better.

Maybe he's the exception rather than the rule, hard to tell since managers who switch teams in his style are a relatively new phenomenon in baseball.

Joe Torre did better with Yankee teams that had fewer stars, as in, not like the teams of the past five years or so that have had a bona-fide all-star in each place in the batting order. Explain how better players have done him a whole heap of good when he was winning world series like crazy with lesser guys like Tino Martinez, Girardi, Leyritz, Paul O'Neill, Mariano Duncan... guys who were more motivated to compete because they maybe had no other way to get respect, or some other mental fact I am not qualified to explain.

Date: October 09, 2006 10:20AM

The Nationals have some good talent (Zim, Soriano - if he stays - for example). Obviously their starting pitching sucks and they don't have enough depth at key positions (catcher, Third). However, there is a lot to work with. Enough, I would think, to get above .500 or better with a guy like Torre at the helm.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: October 09, 2006 11:39AM

Do you really want a guy coaching the Nat's that couldn't make a "billion dollar baseball team" work???

If you can't win the series with the Yankee's payroll there's something seriously wrong!

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: October 09, 2006 06:26PM

Cardinals win the penant in 7. You heard it here first.

Date: October 09, 2006 07:33PM

Jester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you really want a guy coaching the Nat's that
> couldn't make a "billion dollar baseball team"
> work???
>
> If you can't win the series with the Yankee's
> payroll there's something seriously wrong!

The guy won three World Series and took the team to the playoffs 11 years in a row. This isn't the Norv Turner of baseball we are talking about here.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: October 09, 2006 07:44PM

I am not a Yankees fan but Torre did the best he could with what he had. Steinbrenner doesnt know a good thing when he has one. It will take a new manager 2-3 years just to get the team going.

Torre had to contend with Steinbrenner meddling and overpaid ego maniac players.

Little Danny Snyder has done the same thing for years, over spending on players who only think of themselves and look where it has gotten him, last place.

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: October 12, 2006 12:37PM

Of course, this all assumes that Torre gets the axe. Steinbrenner is denying it. I have no idea what's actually going to happen.

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: October 19, 2006 11:44PM

mad max, JD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cardinals win the penant in 7. You heard it here
> first.

Yup.

Date: October 20, 2006 12:29AM

I predict the first world series tie ever. Both teams will play a record 325 innings in game seven over twelve days and give up.

Date: October 20, 2006 12:30AM

I further predict the real winner of this series will be Alan Qaida and the Insurgent All-Stars.

Al Qaida and the Insurgents would be a good name for a band.

Posted by: I told you this would happen ()
Date: August 22, 2020 09:41PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.