HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Fishing:
Posted by: curious ()
Date: September 26, 2009 12:28PM

Fairfax fish come with tall tales
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/news/2009/sep/22/fairfax-fish-come-tall-tales/

Legend has it there is a deep cove in Burke Lake where huge fish lurk, breaking fishing rods and pulling boats around like it was a toddler walking a Great Dane. These are the tales that keep lines in the water and fishermen coming back for more.

“Some guys were talking about some huge fish, it just pulled the boat,” said Roy Patterson, a deck hand around the boathouse at Burke Lake.

“His pole snapped,” added fellow Burke Lake employee Walid Hannaoui.

Although no one actually saw the fish, they all agreed that it had to be a carp or muskie, short for a Pike-like fish called the muskellunge that can grow to be greater than 40 pounds in Virginia waters. It could have been a catfish, someone else added. There are big cats in there, too, they say.

It’s stories like that — or the faded pictures on the wall of the boathouse — that give Burke Lake the reputation of being a top fishing spot in Fairfax County, along with Fountainhead Lake, Lake Accotink, Lake Fairfax and the Potomac River.

Late last month, Centreville resident Jessica Jones was out on the dock near the boat house at Burke Lake with sons Ben, 4, and Jack, 2. Ben had the fishing rod and Jessica was busy untangling the line when he tried to cast. Jones fished as a child, mostly in Lake Anna near Fredericksburg and the Potomac River.

“I grew up fishing,” she said, remembering the days when eating a fish caught in the Potomac was unheard of because of the pollution. “I hear you can eat fish out of the Potomac now.”

Burke Lake also has an assortment of fish that are edible. Catfish, bass, crappie, bluegill and sunfish are all plentiful in the lake. Day manager Connor Gulley recently saw a 25-pound carp, though it was dead already.

At Burke Lake, the park sells worms, minnows, clam snouts and chicken livers for bait. The chicken livers and clam snouts are for catfish, and the minnows are a big draw for the bass fisherman, according to Gulley.

“People drive from all over to get our minnows,” he said.

On the other side of Springfield is Lake Accotink, a popular fishing spot for the beginner crowd.
Compared to its counterpart in Burke, Accotink is smaller and not as deep and there are no tales of fish pulling around the boats. That’s a big draw for the beginners, said park assistant manager Lee Ann Shenefiel.

“It is a shallow lake, and a good lake to learn to fish on,” she said.

The lake was dredged in recent years, and Shenefiel has seen people catch sunfish, bluegill, carp and some bass. A sign posted by the lake’s dam says bass must be at least 18 inches long to keep, but there are not many caught there.

Springfield resident Rick Berens was below the dam with his 4-year-old grandson Nicholas earlier this month. Berens manned the rod and did the casting, but Nicholas was more interested in the worms. Last year they caught a few small ones, but this year the worms were a big draw, Berens said.

“Fishing is not the most exciting sport in the world,” he reluctantly admitted.

In the late winter and early spring, the Accotink area is one of two places the county stocks with farm grown rainbow trout. The other is Lake Fairfax in Reston. Though the county stocks the trout on a weekly basis, the fish aren’t actually put into the Accotink lake but rather in Accotink Creek down below the dam. The water flows well down there, and in the late winter and early spring, it’s almost like a spring-fed brook in the mountains. Fishermen can fish on the first day the stream is stocked and throughout trout season from February to April, but each fisherman must have a valid fishing license and a pass to fish for trout. The passes are $35 for the season, and $12 for a day although fisherman are not required to have a trout stamp that other stocked trout streams require in Virginia.

In addition to being the second trout fishing spot in the county, Lake Fairfax is also a great spot for beginners to learn, too. The lake, which is located in Reston, is inhabited by smallmouth and largemouth bass, crappie, bluegill, and catfish. During the trout season, the lake is stocked with 1,000 pounds of rainbow trout every two weeks for a 10 week period. In the summer, the New Horizon Bass Anglers Youth Foundation hosts two Kids Fishing Derby tournaments at Lake Fairfax Park. All fishing at Lake Fairfax Park is done from the shoreline and there is no fishing permitted from any boats.

The Potomac River is one of the best largemouth bass fisheries in the country, according to Steve Chaconas, a licensed charter boat captain and a National Bass Guide. Chaconas takes people fishing on the Potomac all year around, primarily covering the area from Woodrow Wilson Bridge to Mount Vernon. The biggest bass he’s caught in the river weighed just less than eight pounds. Favorite spots for Chaconas are the National Harbor cove and the Dyke Marsh area just south of Old Town Alexandria.
“The shallow fertile flats are great spawning areas and nearby deep water makes these spots year round hotspots!” he said in an e-mail.

Most of the river is considered to be in Maryland or Washington, D.C., except for Riverbend Park in the northern part of the county. At the Belle Haven Marina in Alexandria, George Stevens sees people come from all over to catch catfish, and he’s seen them pull out 30-pound catfish from the river as well as bass, bluegill or crappie. Stevens calls these species of fish “clean water fish.” At one time, back in the 1970s, the river was home to mostly catfish and carp because the water was so dirty.

An invasive underwater grass species called hydrilla started appearing in the Potomac, and though it cleaned up the water, it made boating difficult.

“It’s great for the fish, they love it,” said Stevens.

“The bass are shallow most of the year ... four feet or less. This can accommodate just about any skill level. There is usually exciting topwater action from May into November,” Chaconas said, referring to floating plug lures such as the Jitterbug or Hula Popper that bring fish to the surface to strike, often in exhilarating fashion. From Great Falls to about Georgetown, there is predominantly smallmouth bass, and downstream there are largemouths. Striped bass have also been pulled out of the Potomac.

Anyone with a Virginia or Maryland fishing license can fish in the river south of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, but north of the bridge would require a D.C. license.

According to the Alexandria-based American Sportfishing Association, fishing is gaining in popularity, even with the questionable economy.

“People want a breath of fresh air, literally and figuratively, and from what we’re being told; anglers are heading outdoors and putting a line in the water,” said ASA President and CEO Mike Nussman.
“Although anglers, just as the general public, seem to be deferring higher end purchases, it’s clear that people are going fishing and purchasing tackle.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Fishing:
Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:08PM

Fountainhead still holds the state record for flathead catfish.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/srf-photos/State%20Record%20Flathead%20Catfish%20and%20Angler%201.jpg

66 lbs!

Posted by: Burke Lake Sucks except ()
Date: September 28, 2009 05:58PM

Burke Lake is truly beautiful, but the fishing sucks. You can go there numerous times, with all kinds of lures, and get skunked on a continual basis. Yeah, I've heard the muskie legends, but I don't think its stocked heavily with them.

The only good spot at Burke Lake, is by the bridge near Burke Lake Road. You can't park there, so you have to put the car in one of the lots, and walk down. Next to the bridge is a shallow section(Burke Lake Road side), where there's a decent amount of Shad, Bluegills, Sunfish, and Crappie. In the spring, there's no better spot, but the rest of the lake sucks.

Posted by: Hahahaha ()
Date: September 28, 2009 10:31PM

When I first read the topic name, I thought it said "fairfax fisting".

Posted by: Luv2Fsh ()
Date: September 29, 2009 08:06AM

I fish out of Occaquan every weekend. I fish from the dam to the Potomac mainly. There are some real big bass in there. I'd say the average fish I catch goes 2lbs. I catch and release only, but notice this year a health warning sign posted about eating the fish. In that area there are Stripper ( in season ) Bass, Ring Perch, Bluegill, Snakehead, Carp, Shad, and others I'm sure that I simply haven't caught yet. Bank fishing there is too crowded and not very good. You need a boat really

Posted by: angler ()
Date: October 02, 2009 07:51PM

Burke Lake; caught a muskie with a flyrod last year, only one I've caught though. Catch bass there all the time. Many of them cruise the shorelines so relax and wait for them to swim by. There's a cove where you can get bluegill after bluegill, it's just nuts.

Lot's of ponds with great bass fishing around here. The Potomac near Riverbend used to fish better for me, but I didn't try that much this year, otherwise good smallie fishing.

Posted by: High Stepper ()
Date: October 02, 2009 08:51PM

angler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Burke Lake; caught a muskie with a flyrod last
> year, only one I've caught though. Catch bass
> there all the time. Many of them cruise the
> shorelines so relax and wait for them to swim by.
> There's a cove where you can get bluegill after
> bluegill, it's just nuts.
>
> Lot's of ponds with great bass fishing around
> here. The Potomac near Riverbend used to fish
> better for me, but I didn't try that much this
> year, otherwise good smallie fishing.

Haven't been there in about 5 years. Do you still have to walk ankle deep in
goose shit everywhere?

Posted by: goose management ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:40AM

High Stepper Wrote:
>
> Haven't been there in about 5 years. Do you still
> have to walk ankle deep in
> goose shit everywhere?

If they would allow manage goose hunts to cull out some of the resident population you wouldn't have the shit and ecoli everywher....just sayin'

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:44AM

curious Wrote:
> Fairfax fish come with tall tales
> http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/news/2009/sep/22/fairf
> ax-fish-come-tall-tales/
>
> Legend has it there is a deep cove in Burke Lake
> where huge fish lurk, breaking fishing rods and
> pulling boats around like it was a toddler walking
> a Great Dane. These are the tales that keep lines
> in the water and fishermen coming back for more.
>
> “Some guys were talking about some huge fish, it
> just pulled the boat,” said Roy Patterson, a deck
> hand around the boathouse at Burke Lake.
>
> “His pole snapped,” added fellow Burke Lake
> employee Walid Hannaoui.
>
> Although no one actually saw the fish, they all
> agreed that it had to be a carp or muskie, short
> for a Pike-like fish called the muskellunge that
> can grow to be greater than 40 pounds in Virginia
> waters. It could have been a catfish, someone else
> added. There are big cats in there, too, they
> say.

His name is Daggermouth and can be found in Fish Stench Cove.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 12:11PM

goose management Wrote:
> High Stepper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Haven't been there in about 5 years. Do you
> still
> > have to walk ankle deep in
> > goose shit everywhere?
>
>
> If they would allow manage goose hunts to cull out
> some of the resident population you wouldn't have
> the shit and ecoli everywher....just sayin'

Absolutely agree. It should be legal to kill everyone of those fucking birds.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: May 18, 2010 12:25PM

My SUV is big enough that it won't do any damage if I hit one or more of the bastards when they waddle out into the road, so I simply don't brake for them and plow right on through. Their little ones feel sorta like a squirrel under the tires. I might need to check the pressure, though, cause it feels a little squishier than usual.

Posted by: expert???no ()
Date: August 31, 2012 12:23PM

anyone hear of any recent stocking of burke lake? someone said something that they stocked a shit ton of fish in there. like more muskie bass and shit. oh yea and there are some monsters my neighbor was the one who caught the record for channel cat there about a year ago, or some shit

Posted by: sansun ()
Date: September 02, 2014 06:34AM

I was there in 2007 summer fishing on the pier side, and saw a pair of trout swim by the side of the pier and 0ne of it gobbled a full adult salamander that was on the water edge trying to drink water or catch a fly. Hmm.. they never even attempted to try my lure.

Posted by: here fishy ()
Date: September 02, 2014 08:08AM

Thank you all for the tips!

I personally have had no luck in burke lake but got VERY lucky fishing the banks of the occuquan(sp?) the other day- caught a 12lb bass off the shore! All I did was walk up to one of the little "cuts" in the park and hike down and waded in waist deep and cast out with a 6'6" pole and 15 lb test and my favorite little lures (keeping my secret-hint-you can find them at any walmart in a red package).

Of course I threw it back and didn't get a pic :(

But I DID get PLENtY of bites! This was at high tide and it had just rained, which helped.

Posted by: FisherMan ()
Date: September 02, 2014 10:24AM

I did not know we could get bait/minnows at Burke lake...is that still true? I usually go over to Fountainhead to get minnows and bring them over to Burke Lake if I want to try for Crappie.

Yes there are big Muskie in Burke Lake starting to bite now...best way to get em is troll a big Muskie lure...maybe I try

Posted by: Liar ()
Date: September 02, 2014 10:49PM

here fishy Wrote:
> Thank you all for the tips!
>
> I personally have had no luck in burke lake but
> got VERY lucky fishing the banks of the
> occuquan(sp?) the other day- caught a 12lb bass
> off the shore! All I did was walk up to one of the
> little "cuts" in the park and hike down and waded
> in waist deep and cast out with a 6'6" pole and 15
> lb test and my favorite little lures (keeping my
> secret-hint-you can find them at any walmart in a
> red package).
>
> Of course I threw it back and didn't get a pic :(
>
>
> But I DID get PLENtY of bites! This was at high
> tide and it had just rained, which helped.

BS.

Posted by: Former Burke Muskie Expert ()
Date: September 02, 2014 10:58PM

FisherMan Wrote:
> I did not know we could get bait/minnows at Burke
> lake...is that still true? I usually go over to
> Fountainhead to get minnows and bring them over to
> Burke Lake if I want to try for Crappie.
>
> Yes there are big Muskie in Burke Lake starting to
> bite now...best way to get em is troll a big
> Muskie lure...maybe I try

Muskie at Burke mostly are caught right around early July.

Set up a slow troll with one of the big feathered spinners in the center of the lake between the concession stand and Duck Shit Island down to the next point on the concession side and then back up just past the ramp. Round and round until you catch one or get bored with it. Vary the speed to let it run more deep or shallow. Faster if it's hotter.

You may catch a few here and there at other times but that's how most are caught.

Posted by: NippleChuck ()
Date: September 03, 2014 09:52AM

I've seen a 14 pounder pulled out of BL some time back.
Nip

Posted by: MilesFishingAdventures ()
Date: January 31, 2015 12:46AM

Always seem to find something to catch there. I usually can hook up bass on the fly as well as the rare musky. The rod stories are true, I had a strike the lock off of a planing board holder and have caught a cat fish with a rod attached.(granted it was a small zebco) it is a great fisheries if you're smart about it.

However in the end the Potomac is better fishing and honestly more fun. Open to take people out for charter comment info if interested. I do striper, big catfish, snake heads, and bass. Fly or conventional

Posted by: 12 pounder is bs ()
Date: January 31, 2015 12:50AM

THE 14 and 12 pound stories are full of shit the lake record is 8 and there simply isn't a support system for a bass to get that big there. Total bull shit. It's prolly a weak 4 pounds

Posted by: The Angler ()
Date: January 31, 2015 03:21AM

I caught a really strange looking 6 lb. fish from the Potomac (just north of National Harbor) last fall... Put up a pretty good fight.

Can someone please help me identify it?

Posted by: Hummm ()
Date: January 31, 2015 09:18PM

Brown trout. Best place to fish for them is over by the Blue Plains effluent pipe.

Posted by: TYwvK ()
Date: January 31, 2015 09:23PM

What's gross is people fishing right next to the huge storm surge overflow valve in front of the Kennedy Center. So gross when that thing opens up, and people fish right on top of it.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.