HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Explain to me how rt 28 N from 66 in the morning has no traffic, yet is bumper to bumper in the afternoon?
Posted by: . ()
Date: September 16, 2009 02:40PM

Makes

ZERO

sense

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Explain to me how rt 28 N from 66 in the morning has no traffic, yet is bumper to bumper in the afternoon?
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: September 16, 2009 02:43PM

How far up 28 do you go and at what time? I've hit plenty of traffic there in the morning, especially as you hit the Chantilly/Herndon area.

Re: Explain to me how rt 28 N from 66 in the morning has no traffic, yet is bumper to bumper in the afternoon?
Posted by: . ()
Date: September 16, 2009 02:47PM

And to clarify, no traffic on 28 N from 66, but bumper to bumper on 28 SOUTH back to 66 in the afternoon.

This is heading up to the Rt 50 intersection.

Posted by: because ()
Date: September 16, 2009 02:48PM

the 66ers get off easily to 66eastbound (2-1 merging)..however, the westbound 66 merge process is horrible

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: September 16, 2009 02:54PM

I too have noticed this and it's a good question. It has been better since they got the overpass on Willard done. I imagine it will ease up once they fix Frying Pan as well.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 16, 2009 03:04PM

Anon poster said:
--------------------------
> And to clarify, no traffic on 28 N from 66, but
> bumper to bumper on 28 SOUTH back to 66 in
> the afternoon.

It will not improve, those overpasses just allow traffic to get to the bottlenecks faster. In the afternoon everyone goes FROM the bottleneck area into stretches of 28 with overpasses and traffic goes fine. In the afternoon traffic glides unabated to the I-66 intersection area with its lights and hangups.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 03:05PM by pgens.

Posted by: Mr Captcha ()
Date: September 16, 2009 09:44PM

So let me get this straight, you're asking why an out-bound flow of traffic has no traffic in the morning when most people are heading into town, but does have traffic in the afternoon/evening when most people are heading out of town?

That's a tough one. First thing in the morning I'm going to call my representative to fund a study on that!

Date: September 16, 2009 10:01PM

I've seen this in certain parts of the region. My guess would be that the evening rush hour is more compressed than the morning rush hour. Specifically, in the morning people tend to come in over the course of about four hours (5:30 am to 9:30 am). In the evenings, while some people start leaving around 3:30 pm, the real crush comes between 5pm and 6pm.

When I leave my office between 4pm and 5pm, the rush hour is usually pretty tolerable. Same goes for leaving the office after 6pm. That 5pm to 6pm hour is a bitch no matter where you drive from.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 16, 2009 11:52PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've seen this in certain parts of the region. My
> guess would be that the evening rush hour is more
> compressed than the morning rush hour.
> Specifically, in the morning people tend to come
> in over the course of about four hours (5:30 am to
> 9:30 am). In the evenings, while some people start
> leaving around 3:30 pm, the real crush comes
> between 5pm and 6pm.
>

5:30 to 10:30 am. Obviously, it tapers off dramatically after about 9:15, but especially for Downtown DC commuters, lots of people hang back at home "telecommuting" in order to head in after 10:30. They have coffee, make some calls, answer e-mails, IM co-workers, do things over telnet or RDP, and then head in after the major crush. BUT, it still means there's a potential for random tie-ups and such around 10:30 - 11:00.

> When I leave my office between 4pm and 5pm, the
> rush hour is usually pretty tolerable. Same goes
> for leaving the office after 6pm. That 5pm to 6pm
> hour is a bitch no matter where you drive from.

I try to never leave downtown DC after about 3:15 or before 7:30. An 18 minute commute can easily turn into a 45 minute commute between 3:30 and 7:30.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Date: September 17, 2009 04:44PM

The whole 66 to 28 and back sucks but you know what's worse is when there is a concert at Nissan in the afternoon. I can't believe the put that place there! Grrr....

Posted by: ... ()
Date: September 19, 2009 08:39AM

traffic on 28N backs up from 7:30 till about 9. 28S starts backing up around 3.

Posted by: coffeymachine9 ()
Date: October 05, 2009 02:16PM

When you are heading north from 66 in the morning, there are very few traffic lights for the next 15 miles all the way to Rt 7, so there wouldn't be much hangup until you got up there. In the afternoon you have traffic funneling down into the whole Centerville clusterf**k where there are 6 traffic lights plus the 66 and 29 interchanges all within less than 2 miles. Plus Rt 28 goes from 8 down to 4 lanes. It sucks.

I love what they did with 28 NORTH of 66, replacing the lights with interchanges and widening the road. I just wish they would continue that down through Centerville all the way to Manassas. 28 is the ONLY major north/south thoroughfare between the Fairfax County Parkway and 234-business some 15 miles away. They need to open it up more.

Posted by: Thigh Master ()
Date: October 05, 2009 07:12PM

off ramps relieve congestion going north, but most use only off ramps at 50 and 66 when heading south.

Posted by: WTF? ()
Date: October 05, 2009 07:27PM

I hate traffic but I hate it more when people b**tch about it like they didn't know it was bad. Here's an idea, MOVE!

Posted by: Starchild ()
Date: October 05, 2009 08:47PM

This pertains to RT 66 E. I did not make another topic on purpose. -- People in the state of Virginia do not know what the fuck MERGE means. Also, what's with you assholes who do 40 in the left AND right lanes for no fucking reason?? That's what causes a lot of backup. How? Because people have to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting your dumbass driving slow in those lanes. As for you other people who freak the fuck out when the sun is rising, do you know what SUNGLASSES are???!! Perhaps the SUNVISOR in your car that flips down??? Most importantly, didn't you ever learn in elementary school that the sun RISES IN THE EAST ???

/end rant.

Hello everyone :)

Posted by: 66sucks ()
Date: October 06, 2009 12:01AM

I was driving on westbound 66 this morning heading out to Front Royal at 5:30am and traffic going east on 66 was already starting to back up!

Date: October 06, 2009 11:32AM

Starchild Wrote:
> This pertains to RT 66 E. I did not make another
> topic on purpose. -- People in the state of
> Virginia do not know what the fuck MERGE means.

I think it's people who are NOT FROM Virginia that seem to have this problem. Anyone who has lived here long enough knows the roads and how to drive on them. It's the "just moved here" assholes who need some lessons if you ask me.

If you are merging onto the highway, this means you need to get up to highway speed. No, 55 MPH is not highway speed, jerks.

Date: October 06, 2009 12:32PM

More Complete, you're a complete dooosh. I moved here 8yrs ago and the drivers here are the worse I've ever seen. Christ, you people can't even get out of the left lane so others can pass even if I shine my high beams. 'Some' (most) people don't know how to drive on these roads. The snow is a good example, christ... it's like watching children sledding down a hill. I go driving just watch idiots sliding but yet they think if they keep their foot on the break the car will stop! God forbid it rains! Better slow down from 55 to 40, don't want that rain coming through the windshield decapitating your heads. Gimme a break dude.

Date: October 06, 2009 12:58PM

WTF? Wrote:
> More Complete, you're a complete dooosh. I moved
> here 8yrs ago and the drivers here are the worse
> I've ever seen.

...and you come off as very ignorant, so your opinion is worthless. What's up with the name calling? I'm essentially agreeing with you about the bad driving.

Since you moved here 8 years ago, you sir, are part of the problem. Please go back to wherever it is you came from. You're hot head temper and terrible driving habits are ruining it for the rest of us. Jackass.

Date: October 06, 2009 04:36PM

More complete, I eat piece of sh*t like you for breakfast.

Date: October 06, 2009 05:03PM

WTF? Wrote:
> More complete, I eat piece of sh*t like you for
> breakfast.

I slam on my breaks when assholes like you pull up behind me and flash their brights, kiddo.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: October 08, 2009 04:53PM

WTF? Wrote:
> More complete, I eat piece of sh*t like you for
> breakfast.

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

Date: October 20, 2009 04:11PM

They just opened up the Frying Pan Exit and it seems to have cleared up the bottle neck... well, at least in the morning going north.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.