HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Question about Social Security disability?
Posted by: Falling cant get up ()
Date: December 12, 2016 12:53PM

I was diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma ( https://www.anausa.org/overview/what-is-acoustic-neuroma ) in 1999. I opted to have the Gamma Knife surgery because I really wasn't too thrilled about have my skull opened up and someone digging around in my brain.

This procedure went well and for 15 years I really had no residual effects other than 50% hearing loss in the affected ear. In the last 2 years I have started developing more symptoms including balance issues, severe headaches, and almost total hearing loss in the affected ear. Unfortunately, a hearing aid cannot help in this situation because the acoustic nerve (from inner ear to brain) is what is damaged. I inquired with Social Security since I am almost at retirement age anyway and have been working for 35 years, putting money into the system the whole time.

I was sent to see their doctor and after running a bunch of tests she agreed I have some issues and actually suggested I should be using a walker because of the balance and stability issues. She said she felt I should be considered disabled but the decision is not entirely up to her.

I am just curious if anyone has any experience with Social Security regarding disability claims? I have seen lots of people who have been declared disabled that seem to have no outward symptoms of any problems (mental?). The case worked has told me it will be a couple weeks before they have a decision, which will be this week.

Any real life experience stories would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about Social Security disability?
Posted by: MY opine ()
Date: December 12, 2016 01:54PM

You, sir (ma'am), deserve disability. You should probably get it. I am not a lawyer, but since you do have a medically documented issue, you should get it. I would still have a lawyer on call, they love to decline people who truly DO have disabilities. Be warned it can take another year or so to work through the system so you best be prepared to keep up with bills until then!!

Now my hate- is for those with made-up mental illnesses (not those who legit have mental issues), I mean the ones who fake anxiety/depression and manage to get on with that.

I am pissed said EX-friend is scamming the system, taking money away from those who truly need the help. Look at West Virginia, for example. There was a story (on CBS i believe) about it not too long ago, a big expose.

They are scammers. They are rightfully upset there is no work in their area, but instead of moving to where there IS work since they are perfectly healthy to do so, they scam the social security system for a free "government check" since they cannot get unemployment, get some pain pills food stamps, and sell those off for extra income and live like kings in their low-cost-of-living area- while people that truly need the help are declined.

Posted by: Doctor Spock ()
Date: December 12, 2016 02:07PM

If the doctor they chose to examine you thinks you qualify for disability I'd say you're in. The problems arise when people come in with evaluations from their own physicians which raises eyebrows about the validity. But if you were examined by their chosen doctor and this doctor's opinion is you are disabled I think you're home free.

These government doctors are vetted very carefully and given a lot of latitude regarding their decisions. Plus your age will be a considered as well since you are very near SS age anyway.

Posted by: Tim Itus ()
Date: December 12, 2016 03:31PM

Me: Hey. You have a potato in your ear.
OP: What? Can't hear you. I have a potato in my ear.

Posted by: Tomcat creeper ()
Date: December 12, 2016 08:21PM

The key to SS disability is a good lawyer who knows the system. My lawyer got me 1775 a month for my obesity. I just have to keep my weight above 400 and they check me every year so I eat lots of chicken and potato salad.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: December 13, 2016 04:23PM

The key to winning your case is to show how your disability would inhibit/prohibit you from doing your current job or the type of job you have most often done.

It sounds easy.

But a lot of people get rejected
The medical records showing you have a condition, is not enough.

You have to do more than prove you have a certain condition.

You have to show how this condition makes doing your job impossible.

My wife had Congestive Heart Failure and had good medical records from her Cardiologist to show she had the condition.

She worked in the Legal field.

It a seemed a no-brainer she was eligible.

It would seem to me that just having Congestive Heart Failure is in itself enough to get approved.

But some people with Congestive Heart Failure do to get rejected.

She did win on her first try.

She had a law degree so she researched SSI cases at the GM Law School Library. She found cases where people with her condition won and lost SSI.

She learned what questions the SSI judges ask and how to respond.

She walked in without a lawyer and all the vulture lawyers on site tried to talk her out of it.

She walked back out and they had these shocked looks on their faces when she told them she won, without a lawyer.

She also told me that SSI Lawyer's would actually rather lose your case, but then win on appeal - they make more $$ that way.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2016 04:35PM by phelpsmarc.

Posted by: Newbie1919 ()
Date: June 25, 2017 09:58PM

Just going through to see what other people are doing and have done to be able to actual receive disability benefits. I have so many issues its hard to count. I have chronic migraines, a condition called trigeminal neuralgia that causes the worst pain imaginable to the left side of my face mutliple times a day. Major depressive disorder with anxiety, and obese to boot. Others but I wont go on. But my QUESTION is, may I ask is did you use a lawyer from this area? NOVA? I was just denied and I am desperately looking for a good lawyer to represent me. Or does anyone else have any suggestions? I am very grateful for any help!!

Posted by: Same boat ()
Date: June 26, 2017 11:59AM

I have many similar issues and going through the process now. I did not want to use a lawyer to start with since their cut is pretty high. In 6 months I have been approved for the first stage of disability. The second stage will "be soon". I have heared it can take a year.
Here are some resources....

For TN ...The Facial Pain Assoication. You can sign up and use Facebook to talk to other members. They also will show you what worked for them on receiving disability. Two people in TX wrote to their Congress representative and they got it.

Some used a specific disability lawyer assoication (cannot think of it now) and received disability.

The Facial Pain Assoication also has a phone number you can call for more info.

Hope this helps and the pain is less today.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.