HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Aunt Jemima's Kitchen - Fairfax Circle, ANYONE remember this place?
Posted by: Sigmund ()
Date: September 14, 2009 02:22AM

As a kid in the late 1960's I remember going with my family to a restaurant around Fairfax Circle called Aunt Jemima's Kitchen. It was a pancake place similar to a modern Denny's or IHOP. Anyway, I can't find anyone else that remembers it. Does anyone remember which shopping center this was located at and when it closed? Is the building still there? I would really appreciate any replies and information about this place. Thanks!!!
Attachments:
Jemima.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aunt Jemima's Kitchen - Fairfax Circle, ANYONE remember this place?
Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: September 14, 2009 02:33PM

I remember there used to be "Sambo's" (aka Little Black Sambo's) which changed its named to "The Jolly Tiger". I believe that was the one that became Denny's in Fairfax.

I think I remember Aunt Jemima's existing somewhere and being excited that the syrup had a restaurant to go with it. But I have no specific recollection of a location.

Little Black Sambo was a storybook I read as a small child.
I wish I had it still! I still have Encyclopedia Brown,
from approximately the same part of my life.

Used to eat at that Denny's often after doing a nite time
radio show on WEEL in Fairfax, back in my radio days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2009 10:09PM by Spacy.

Posted by: tcf ()
Date: September 14, 2009 03:27PM

Sambo's was one of my favorite places to go as a kid because of the toys and story book about Sambo running around in circles to make butter. I think they even had a blackface mask with that elastic band with metal tabs that kids could wear. It was right at rt50 and rt123 and did indeed become the Denny's.

Posted by: Carpet Bagger ()
Date: September 14, 2009 03:28PM

There used to be a bar called Uncle Tom's that had black waiters. In addition to bringing you drinks they would shine your shoes if asked to do so.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: September 14, 2009 06:19PM

There's a Sambo's in Annadale to this day. But it's an Asian restaurant. I'm sure the Asians that own it have or had no idea what the name connotes in 'Murcan culture.

It's a wonder the place hasn't been torched...

Posted by: scottydfl422 ()
Date: September 15, 2009 10:36AM

At one time there was a second Denny's just across fromthe back entrance to Fairfax High that is now a Korean BBQ place. Could that be the place?

Posted by: Vintage FFX ()
Date: September 15, 2009 11:49AM

Yes, there was an Aunt Jemima's restaurant in the Fairfax Circle Shopping Center, just east of Fairfax Circle on Rt. 50, where the Ruby Tuesday's is now (out in the parking lot). Same area as the old Fairfax Circle Theatre. How about Dino's Den?

Posted by: barnbuster ()
Date: September 17, 2009 11:50AM

Oddly enough, seeing that reminds me of THE RED BARN chain of restaurants - their old buildings are still everywhere.

Posted by: RRs ()
Date: September 17, 2009 12:00PM

barnbuster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oddly enough, seeing that reminds me of THE RED
> BARN chain of restaurants - their old buildings
> are still everywhere.

Same with Roy Rogers. I saw one of their buildings turn into a car rental place.

Posted by: barny ()
Date: September 17, 2009 12:13PM

barnbuster Wrote:
> are still everywhere.

LOL, the one in Harrisburg, PA is an adult video store!

Date: September 17, 2009 05:10PM

Vintage FFX Wrote:
> How about Dino's Den?

Another name that seems familiar that I have totally forgotten about.
I'm sure I have eaten there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2009 05:12PM by Spacy.

Posted by: scottydfl422 ()
Date: September 18, 2009 07:11PM

Or Burger Chef?

Date: September 19, 2009 12:38AM

scottydfl422 Wrote:
> Or Burger Chef?

You mean Ginos?

:)

Posted by: Tommy ()
Date: April 28, 2010 07:27PM

Stumbles on this posting and wanted to share with you that as a kid I remember also going to an Aunt Jemima's Pancake House here where I live in San Diego CA.

Posted by: whit bissell ()
Date: April 29, 2010 07:55AM

I lived in Fairfax City area 45 years have no recall of an Aunt J's. I think the building housing the Ruby Tuesday was a later addition to that shopping center from it's original opening. I remember a Tops restaurant where the Dunkin Donuts is but the Circle Shopping Center was built a few years after the Tops closed. The Gino's is now a Korean Restaurant that use to be open 24 hours. Next to Farrish Auto lot. I seem to remember the present day swimming pool company next to the Shell gas station was a hot dog stand with a weiner dog on the sign. of course my memory on lots of stuff seems to be fading.

Date: April 29, 2010 12:00PM

Actually, the Aunt J's may have been in the HR Block bldg...but it was there. Had a brother who worked there in the mid 60's.

Topps (later Gino's) was where the Korean market is now (Dong-a-Asian).

Dunkin Donuts used to be a Howard Johnson's restaurant.

You are correct about Anthony Pools...it was called "The Dog House"...they still have the same dog house sign!

Posted by: Lofty ()
Date: April 29, 2010 12:23PM

barnbuster Wrote:
> are still everywhere.

I remember the Red Barn in Roslyn. I'd just moved here and I used to
go to the laundromat across the street, start my laundry and then
sit in the front window at the Red Barn so I could see when the
washer was finished and ready for the dryer. On my second trip there
I met a drop dead gorgeous blonde and scored on the first date. We'd
meet at the Barn every Saturday night and have a bite before going to
my apartment. Loved the Barn. (her too) Across the street next to the
laundry there was a restaurant called Zorba the Greek that had some of
the best looking waitresses in the area. Good times.

Posted by: Whit Bissell ()
Date: April 30, 2010 03:22AM

I thought my memory was fading. now that you mention it" Vintage FFX" the Howard Johnson's was were the Dunkin Donuts is now located and the Tops and Gino's in same location. How long has the Arthur Treacher's been there? at least 35 years? I believe the front counter there has not been wiped off in the entire 35+ years, seems encrusted with grease and cocktail sauce.
Now the name Dino's Den sounds so familiar yet I can't place its location.
Btws, looks like Rene's Supper Club might have bit the dust after all these years. Passed by Wed. night and Thurs. and place seemed closed. I know that Wed. night has been SHAG night( the Carolina Beach shag not the Austin Powers shag) for a number of years

Date: April 30, 2010 08:11AM

Yeah, I'd say Arthur Treacher's has been there since the early-to-mid 70's. Haven't dared venture in there for about 25 years though!

Dino's Den was just across the road from Arthur T's in that side of the circle shopping center. It was about 3 businesses down from the end. At one time it was a Thai restaurant...may be another ethnic restaurant there now. It was in the same vein as Tom Weston's in Annandale if you remember that one (good too).

Rene's - now there's a classic that somehow survived all these years...also early 70's? Seems like it was temporarily closed at other times but still came back. I suspect there was some mature shagging after Shag night there.

Here's a good one...do you remember what was in that whole area before the office bldg, Home Depot (Bradley's, Memco), gas station, etc. were even built? This would have been in the 65-69 time frame.

Posted by: jp ()
Date: April 30, 2010 11:15AM

My sister worked at the Red Barn on Annandale Rd in Falls Church when I was a kid. Loved that place. It has been a dry cleaners for years.

Posted by: Whit bissel Jr. ()
Date: May 03, 2010 01:12AM

Been racking my tired brain trying to remember what was in the location of the Memco now Home Depot. I'm thinking it was just woods but bet I'm wrong.

Now that you mention the location I recall Dino's Den. That place was there a long time and yet I never went in. Where lots of places like that around the central Fairfax area but most now gone. Sort of the old fashioned neighborhood bar. Was it called the Pickett Inn over at the Turnpike Shoppping Center? And over in Vienna at the now fairly dangerous Cedar Lane shopping center was the Cedar Lane Inn, don't know if that place is still open. Were other places I think like these in Annandale, Springfield, outer Merrifield and Reston I believe now all gone due to progress.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: May 03, 2010 03:02AM

Progress, and my SWEATY BALLS!

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: whit bissell sr. ()
Date: May 03, 2010 03:07AM

I've heard vodka might help solve sweaty balls wiping it over the fungally infected area and i guess drinking it, the vodka not the sweat, wouldn't hurt neither

Posted by: say ()
Date: May 03, 2010 06:53PM

There was another Dino's Den in the Bradlick Shopping center (Braddock & Backlick Rds). Owned by a Greek family, I knew one of their sons. Kavalieratos I think was their name.

Date: May 04, 2010 12:01PM

There was a driving range where the Home Depot and office building are now. Tees were near Old Lee Highway...hit towards Pickett rd. They even had a fairly small circus come to that location at least once (66/67?).

Yes, the Pickett Inn at Turnpike...forgot about that one. Somewhat of a rougher bar than Dino's.

Posted by: whit bissell ()
Date: May 05, 2010 12:55AM

Taxed my mind over the driving range but just can't remember. Wasn't there a Drug Fair right across the street and the pizza joint, thats still there, in same shopping center was a motorcycle gang hangout my yuteful mind seems to recall. And a hobby shop was in there too. I think was run by same folks who had a hobby shop in the present day Fuddruckers building over on route 123. I was a wee lad mid 60's so recall ain't that good.
Speaking of driving ranges I do recall the one where the present day AT&T building is on 123 in oakton and seem to remember that the family moved the driving range out to the present location of Fair Oaks Mall. I guess they really hit the jackpot when they sold that land. And not sure but I think they moved the driving range one more time out to the chantilly area and sold out in recent years for another shopping center.

Date: May 05, 2010 01:19PM

Yep, Drug Fair was right on that end of the shopping strip. And yes...just down the way were Vincent's Hobby Shop and Cleve's Pizza!

Hmmm, I don't remember another Vincent's hobby shop at the Fuddruckers location...but I do remember it being a ladies clothing store called "The Corner House". There was a Vincent's Diner (same family I believe) at the present day location of the Denny's next to FFX Toyota (old FFX Theatre building).

Yes, I remember those driving ranges...interesting that it was the same family.

Posted by: geneo ()
Date: May 09, 2011 10:12AM

Wow! my dad owned that "hot dog stand" bak in late 60's! It was called: The Dog House resturant. Surprised the building and that good old sign has survived, minus the 2 weiner dogs! lol, cheers, gene

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: May 09, 2011 10:21AM

It's interesting about Sambo's - went out of business majorly due to "racism" yet the story around which the restaurant was based was about a South Indian kid who saves a village from tigers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Black_Sambo

This is the actual book, released from copyright and available on the (excellent) Gutenberg Project:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17824

Posted by: Steve ()
Date: May 09, 2011 03:15PM

Memco --> Hechingers --> Home Depot.
Anybody go to grill/bar called (Partners?) in Pan Am Shopping Center? Live music and NOVA's warmest beer on tap.

Posted by: DH ()
Date: May 09, 2011 04:19PM

Partners or Cousins? Cousins used to be on the end down by Microcenter (Microcenter used to be Channel Home Improvment store. Like a Home Depot) Cousins was owned by the same people who owned Neighbors over at Park & Cedar. Can't remember the name of that shopping center. Cousins always had good food and I don't know about the warmth of the draft beer because I only drank beer in a bottle. It was always cold.

Date: May 09, 2011 04:23PM

Sadly enough, The Dog House remnants that had become Anthony's Pools was recently torn down! Not sure what is going in there. Even the dog house shaped sign is gone.

Posted by: steve ()
Date: May 09, 2011 04:54PM

Cousins! Thank you.

Posted by: OldFFXDave ()
Date: October 01, 2011 01:33PM

I go way back before the Circle Shoppping Center existed. Howard Johson's
was located where there is now Dunkin' Donuts. Tops was located where the
Korean Restaurant stands. It was the only place to buy Kentucky Fried Chicken.
It later became Gino's. Dino's Den was located behind Dunkin Donuts and
next to what was Dart Drug store. Safeway was also located in that part
of the shopping center, as was a cleaners and a branch of the National Bank
of Fairfax.

The other part of the shopping center consisted of a barber shop, a theatre,
Magellan's Gift Store, Giant Supermarket, and Aunt Jemima's was located
in the front of the shopping center. It later became a chinese restaurant.

The circle in the late 50's and early 60's was an actual circle around a large
mound of dirt that resembled an inverted pie pan. Deer would play on top
of the mound, and a giant evergreen was in the middle. Christmas lights
would adorn the tree during the winter. There were a few gas stations and
an open-air 7-11 market. Bob's Diner and Beefhouse was on the left as
you headed out 50/29 and toward Fairfax and Rt. 123. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Me suk U ()
Date: October 01, 2011 04:04PM

"Topps (later Gino's) was where the Korean market is now (Dong-a-Asian)."

Would it kill these asians to check with an American before slapping a name on their places? There was one in DC near my work called the Big Dong restaurant.

Posted by: Cavalier78 ()
Date: October 01, 2011 06:33PM

Before Memco, wasn't there a GEM store? I recall it was a department store-type place but it had some sort of membership base of government employees.

I was also a childhood fan of Sambo's. I'm enjoying this thread!

Posted by: 1-more ()
Date: October 01, 2011 07:33PM

Remember how much fun it was before they pushed through the last 1/4-mile of Pickett Road to Rt 50 and you had to go through what is now Old Picket and Fairfax Circle to continue on. Yep Pickett was 2-lane too,

Posted by: Scott Baio ()
Date: October 01, 2011 08:26PM

Me suk U Wrote:

> Would it kill these asians to check with an
> American before slapping a name on their places?
> There was one in DC near my work called the Big
> Dong restaurant.

Checking with the locals before going into business is not a failure limited to those coming to the US and establishing businesses here. There was spinoff show of "Happy Days" called "Jonie Loves Chaci". Well, when this show was imported to Japan it caused quite a stir...the word Chaci you see means cock in Japanese.

In other news...there's lots of mentions here about Dino's Den. Were there multiple locations? The one I remember was on Backlick Road at the 495 underpass, in a strip mall where the old Hechinger's was, across from the Burger King. This would have been the early 90's. They served a dynamite pizza cheesesteak which I've tried at many other places but, there's was still the best!

Posted by: ffx local ()
Date: October 01, 2011 09:41PM

Memco --> Hechingers --> Home Depot.

Don't forget Bradlee's. It was there after Memco, before Hechingers

Posted by: Sigmund ()
Date: October 02, 2011 01:27PM

Hi OldFFXDave, thanks for sharing. I remember everything in the order that you wrote except for the Giant. Are you certain on that one? The spot that I think you are talking about used to have a Staples (haven't been there in a while and don't know if it is still there). Anyway, before Staples I seem to remember a Drug Fair on the corner spot. I remember the Safeway when it pulled out and relocated to PanAm. Wonder why Giant failed? By the way, I am the OP and thanks for remembering Aunt Jemima's. The Chinese restaurant that took its spot was called China Gourmet.

Posted by: Cavalier78 ()
Date: October 02, 2011 03:02PM

And on Pickett Road, near the ballfield, there was an old fellow named Andy who used to sit by the fence and wave at people driving by. He was there all day, every day. Kids would watch for him from the car window and wave back.

Posted by: FFXDAVE ()
Date: October 05, 2011 12:28PM

Yes, I remember speaking with Andy. He lived in a trailer at the corner
of 123 and University (what is now GMU campus) prior to being relocated
to the water treatment plant across from Pickett field.

Posted by: FFXDAVE ()
Date: October 05, 2011 12:36PM

Staples is currently in that spot, but it opened as a Giant back in the days.
Drug Fair was in the corner spot in the shopping center where Artie's
and the Bowling Alley are located, on the other side of the circle.
There was a pizza place named Cleve's which was also located in this
shopping center. At the far end was Allen's Men's Store which was
the cool place for young men to buy their clothes. Hope this helps.

Posted by: youre thinking about ()
Date: October 05, 2011 01:45PM

the home depot at braddock and 236....

ffx local Wrote:
> Memco --> Hechingers --> Home Depot.
>
> Don't forget Bradlee's. It was there after Memco,
> before Hechingers

Posted by: joann irvolino ()
Date: October 26, 2011 06:44AM

I remember a restaurant we went to driving from New JERSEY TO FLORIDA with a Black lady in her Aunt Jemima's clothing on but I was only 9 at the time.My favorite eating place. I was looking for information on it also. It was on top of a hill with a long driveway and was very busy.

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: October 26, 2011 07:24AM

"Yes, I remember speaking with Andy. He lived in a trailer at the corner
of 123 and University (what is now GMU campus) prior to being relocated
to the water treatment plant across from Pickett field"

Yeah I'm old enough to remember seeing him after ballgames at Pickett field. Was he making moonshine by any chance? wonder if he's buried in the Fairfax City cemetary.

Posted by: Mike Snyder ()
Date: January 13, 2013 07:33PM

As a young US Army soldier I visited that Dog House on occasion. I would stop there to call a girl friend in Vienna, VA. There was a waitress there in 1967 and I believe her name was Peggy. I also remember a Chevrolet dealership not far from there and a bowling alley in a shopping center behind the Dog House. I was stationed at Fort Myer and worked at the Pentagon from March 1967 until October 1969. I lived off post for a while at the Barcroft Apartments on South George Mason Drive in Arlington. I purchased my first new car at Rosenthal Chevrolet in Arlington. I also worked part time at a discount gas station on US 1 in Alexandria, across from the RF&P rail yards. I have many good memories of that area and the friendly people who were willing to make a 'Yankee' GI feel welcome. Hope you are all doing well??

Posted by: CAPTAIN KIRK ()
Date: January 13, 2013 08:25PM

> Same with Roy Rogers. I saw one of their
> buildings turn into a car rental place.

I remember when the Rite Aid at Rt 50 and 123 was a Roy Rogers.

Posted by: *snowflake* ()
Date: December 31, 2018 01:36PM

This is a racist thread.

Posted by: Briar Patch ()
Date: December 31, 2018 02:05PM

Spacy Wrote:
> I remember there used to be "Sambo's" (aka Little
> Black Sambo's) which changed its named to "The
> Jolly Tiger". I believe that was the one that
> became Denny's in Fairfax.
>
> I think I remember Aunt Jemima's existing
> somewhere and being excited that the syrup had a
> restaurant to go with it. But I have no specific
> recollection of a location.
>
> Little Black Sambo was a storybook I read as a
> small child.
> I wish I had it still! I still have Encyclopedia
> Brown,
> from approximately the same part of my life.
>
> Used to eat at that Denny's often after doing a
> nite time
> radio show on WEEL in Fairfax, back in my radio
> days.

Allan Prell was gay, no?

Posted by: Murphy in the morning ()
Date: November 21, 2022 12:20PM

Briar Patch Wrote:
> Spacy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I remember there used to be "Sambo's" (aka
> Little
> > Black Sambo's) which changed its named to "The
> > Jolly Tiger". I believe that was the one that
> > became Denny's in Fairfax.
> >
> > I think I remember Aunt Jemima's existing
> > somewhere and being excited that the syrup had
> a
> > restaurant to go with it. But I have no
> specific
> > recollection of a location.
> >
> > Little Black Sambo was a storybook I read as a
> > small child.
> > I wish I had it still! I still have
> Encyclopedia
> > Brown,
> > from approximately the same part of my life.
> >
> > Used to eat at that Denny's often after doing a
> > nite time
> > radio show on WEEL in Fairfax, back in my radio
> > days.
>
>
> Allan Prell was gay, no?

No he had a wife but he could have been bi.

Posted by: Charley Not Andy ()
Date: November 21, 2022 04:49PM

Charley was the old black guy who had a trailer provided by Fairfax City after they condemned a property Charlie owned , he would sit in a chair smiling and waving at cars going up and down Pickett hill , his trailer was on city property where the city still has a maintenance center and the city police had or still have an indoor pistol range

I must have waved a few hundred times at Charley over the years before he died it was around the mid 70s to early 80s time period

Search FXU for Charley PIckett rd and you will see his picture in his chair

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.