HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Where can I take a hard drive and have it shredded, ground-up...obliterated?
Posted by: Creeper. ()
Date: December 07, 2016 10:57AM

Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where can I take a hard drive and have it shredded, ground-up...obliterated?
Posted by: PlasmaTorch ()
Date: December 07, 2016 11:14AM

You can send it to me here:

6121 Franconia Road
Alexandria, VA 22310

I'll take care of it.

Re: Where can I take a hard drive and have it shredded, ground-up...obliterated?
Posted by: kUDUx ()
Date: December 07, 2016 11:25AM

Do it yourself
Attachments:
grinder.jpg

Posted by: dbuTe ()
Date: December 07, 2016 11:34AM

Good luck FBI
Attachments:
stock-photo-destroyed-hard-drive-with-angle-grinder-83574457.jpg

Posted by: VDbud ()
Date: December 07, 2016 12:04PM

Need to cover your tracks huh?

Pour gas on it and burn it to a crisp.

Posted by: destroyer ()
Date: December 07, 2016 12:13PM

i had an old laptop drive i needed to destroy, so i disassembled the drive, removed the disk platters, then stupidly smashed them with a hammer, not realizing they were made from glass. shit flew into a million pieces and went everywhere. i was still finding small pieces of it months later. so, don't do that.

but seriously, it's easy enough to just remove the actual disks and destroy them. for other drives just spray painted the platters and threw them out.

Posted by: Union Postal Worker ()
Date: December 07, 2016 01:06PM

Put it in a box marked "Extremely Fragile" and mail it to yourself. Your carrier will do the rest.

Posted by: God Emperor Trump ()
Date: December 07, 2016 01:31PM

Ask Hillary Clinton.

Posted by: Mrs. Bill Clinton ()
Date: December 07, 2016 01:38PM

Contact me at hdr22@clintonemail.com and I'll have one of my staff take a hammer to it.

Posted by: damn nigga ()
Date: December 07, 2016 01:48PM

you're going to want to magnetize that hard drive, find the biggest magnet you can and wipe that shit clean, asap. Then, put it though a woodchipper a few times, have it ground into dust, then proceed to lock the remnants in a safe, wrap the safe in chains, and throw it into a severely shark infested water, ie the indian ocean, off the coast of the isle of man or perhaps off the coast of southeast New Zealand.

In all honesty though, you're probably fucked. Digital footprints and all that good stuff.

Posted by: I was wondering the same... ()
Date: December 07, 2016 03:40PM

If anyone knows let us know...
Attachments:
IMG_20160831_195824.jpg

Posted by: Ffx Springfield Burke ()
Date: December 07, 2016 04:03PM

E asset solutions, Falls Church - check their website, free, take old computers etc & will wipe hard drives clean

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: December 07, 2016 05:30PM

freeze it in a block of Ice and put in trash, by the time it thaws it will be incinerated by the county. Even more attractive wrap it in a Dirty Diaper. I usually move it from Computer to computer. Can never have enough storage, 4 tb at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 05:31PM by Burke Brat.

Posted by: JBW ()
Date: December 07, 2016 10:22PM

Take it to Hillary. She knows a guy.

Posted by: jGX3b ()
Date: December 08, 2016 01:02AM

Original poster, realistically, likely most secure option to get the job done, reputable, but they are somewhat pricey
http://www.shipndestroy.com/

Had contacted them last month about destroying a few dozen 3.5 inch floppy disks over 20 years old with company data, and they responded to my initial email within a couple of hours. Included in their shipping charges with a restricted locked secure shipping container was over $40, which in my case decided not worth it, but you may decide otherwise for your needs. In my case with floppies, found destruction instructions on wiki, but likely not so easy with a hard drive.

Posted by: paranoid android ()
Date: December 08, 2016 09:27AM

If you're concerned with security, handing the disks over to anyone seems pretty far from secure. It's simple enough to destroy them on your own.

1) overwrite the entire drive then re-format it (repeat 2-3 times)

2) unscrew the hard drive case and remove the actual disks

3) paint both sides of each disk

4) cut them in half with a pair of shears

5) toss a single piece in the trash once a week until they're gone

That data will never be recovered, guaranteed.

Posted by: pDC4N ()
Date: December 08, 2016 10:16AM

Free - Darik's Boot and Nuke. Create a boot CD and wipe it.

Tis will only work for hard drives, not solid state drives.

Use a hammer for those and do it yourself.

Posted by: This Guy Right Here ()
Date: December 08, 2016 10:30AM

Ffx Springfield Burke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> E asset solutions, Falls Church - check their
> website, free, take old computers etc & will wipe
> hard drives clean

The only real answer in this thread.

http://www.eassetsolutions.com/accepted.php

Posted by: truth17 ()
Date: December 08, 2016 12:16PM

Comet Pizza.

Posted by: n4THT ()
Date: December 08, 2016 12:24PM

if you installed microsoft software DISK that came with hard drives during Clinton presidency ... it was written by foreigners and ...

WAS CONFIRMED TO UPLOAD SOME OF DRIVE CONTENTS TO THE DRIVE MAKER, AND PUT A BUG IN THE SYSTEM TABLE CAUSING INCOMPATIBILITY WITH OTHER OS. (2 kinds, i know it cost me time and money fixing a trail of issue caused by one of the kinds)

ah the clinton days...

Posted by: idiots abound ()
Date: December 08, 2016 10:12PM

If you do send it to Hillary Clinton for destruction, sendit through Anthony Weiners office first in case you need a copy of something down the road.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.