HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
A moment of silence for Chef Peng Chang-kuei...creator...General Tso's Chicken
Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: December 02, 2016 10:04PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A moment of silence for Chef Peng Chang-kuei...creator...General Tso's Chicken
Posted by: GBW ()
Date: December 02, 2016 10:16PM

Huh??? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/peng
> -chang-kuei-credited-as-creator-of-general-tsos-ch
> icken-dies-at-97/2016/12/02/3450e11e-b8a3-11e6-959
> c-172c82123976_story.html?utm_term=.94a4054037ff
>
> Best Chinese dish...ever.

While General Tso's is good, I do not believe it is the best. I guess it is all up to personal taste, but my go to is always Kung Pao with extra chili pepper.

Re: A moment of silence for Chef Peng Chang-kuei...creator...General Tso's Chicken
Posted by: McTso ()
Date: December 02, 2016 10:17PM

Outlived the inventor of the Big Mac by one day. Both 98. I know what to eat now the rest of my life

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: December 02, 2016 10:17PM

Good dish, for sure. Thanks, Peng.

Posted by: Tyrone Niggerstein ()
Date: December 02, 2016 10:21PM

RIP. Some of the best chicken ever made.

Posted by: Cat on a stick ()
Date: December 02, 2016 11:38PM

It almost tasted like real chicken. Delicious!

Posted by: Duck Chang ()
Date: December 02, 2016 11:52PM

Who has the best General Tso's chicken??

Posted by: Gerry Connolly ()
Date: December 03, 2016 12:18AM

I prefer General Chicken's Toes.

Posted by: Ancient.Chinese.Secret ()
Date: December 03, 2016 03:31PM

Duck Chang Wrote:
> Who has the best General Tso's chicken??

Chef Peng Chang-kuei specialized in Hunan province cuisine...which is strange because if you sit down in a restaurant located in Hunan province and order General Tso's, they will have no idea what you are talking about. And that's because Chef Chang-kuei created it for American customers.

But, because he specialized in Hunan province cuisine, most Chinese restaurants in America who also specialize in Hunan province cuisine typically have the best General Tso's Chicken. So, when in doubt, choose a Hunan place.

The problem with General Tso's Chicken is that it's kind of like cole slaw...everybody makes it a little differently. Some are sweeter, some have more breading, less breading, some are cooked in old oil, some are cooked in fresher oil and so on. If I'm ordering it from a place from whom I've never had General Tso's Chicken, I always ask them to fry it extra-crispy before adding the sauce.

For the DC area, the best General Tso's I've had is at Meiwah, 1200 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington, DC, 20036, 202-833-2888, www.meiwahrestaurantdc.com. They are a full-service restaurant with a very pleasant sit-down atmosphere and they also offer takeout.

Date: December 03, 2016 05:14PM

Duck Chang Wrote:
> Who has the best General Tso's chicken??

I like Duk Wo's food, from over in the hidden Burke II Shopping plaza. They also have the best Peking Duck around, also. Been going there for 30 years.

Date: December 03, 2016 05:16PM

Ancient.Chinese.Secret Wrote:
--

> I always ask them
> to fry it extra-crispy before adding the sauce.
>

+1 for extra crispy, before submersing in sauce. Or say, "well done" for the same effect.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.