HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Time to upgrade the TV
Posted by: Geezer ()
Date: October 19, 2016 02:51PM

Well our 42" Sharp Aqous TV is just about shot so its time for an upgrade. We got ours on Black Friday 2007 at Circuit City. (Still remember waiting in line for it!) So where is the best place locally to get a new TV. I know Amazon has the best prices, but packages get stolen around my neighborhood, so I don't think I will go that route.

So where's the best place to get one locally for the best price. Belmont TV, HH Gregg, Best Buy, Walmart, Big Screen Store?

Should I wait for Black Friday or buy now. Looking for 50" or 55" 4K HDTV with a 240 motion rate for around $1000.

Thanks for the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Time to upgrade the TV
Posted by: Capt. Picard sez: ()
Date: October 19, 2016 02:53PM

Attachments:
WTF-memes-google-it.jpg

Posted by: 1010101 ()
Date: October 19, 2016 03:04PM

Amazon does not have the best prices when it comes to TVs.

I would wait until black Friday and go to Sears or HH Greg. Not as many people there so you won't have to wait long if at all.

Posted by: Tried That ()
Date: October 19, 2016 03:06PM

You're right didn't think about that. Fairfax Underground the first place I go to for information!!!!!

Tried searching and its all over the place. Every f'ing store guarantees their prices are the lowest! And 1 in 3 reviewers say ______ (insert store name here) sucks for one reason or another! Some thing for reviews on TVS. Samsung and LG get rated pretty high until somebody saws their TV died 91 days after they bought it!

Just looking for some honest feedback, but I should've known the trolls would come out of the woodwork too!

Posted by: googles ()
Date: October 19, 2016 03:33PM

The best time to buy a new TV is when the new model year comes out. Black Friday is best if you are looking for a super cheap TV of lower quality. Otherwise, Superbowl season is better.

http://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/best-time-to-buy-tv-super-bowl-or-black-friday/

Also beware that sometimes stores guarantee their prices because they buy special stripped down versions and they are the only store selling that model. A retailer will get a model very similar to a manufacturer's popular model, but with slightly lower performance or fewer features. It might look like the same model but read the specifications carefully.

Posted by: HGKyW ()
Date: October 19, 2016 03:41PM

Go to COSTCO. Got all my tvs there. good price. quality names. hell, even Vizio is good. Have a Vizio now for 8 years.

Posted by: asfd ()
Date: October 19, 2016 04:54PM

+1 for Costco...extra year on the warranty beyond the manufacturer's. Prices are as good or better than anyplace else.

Posted by: kvr ()
Date: October 19, 2016 07:31PM

+1 Costco, good balance between price and quality.

HHGreg- probably not the best prices, super anoying sales people
Walmart- only the lowest quality stuff, if thats your thing
Bestbuy- has all levels of quality and $$$....matches amazon and a few other online retailers. But be ready for them to sell you on whatever brand(s) they get the most kickback on. Seems to be Sony and Samsung.

Posted by: Big D ()
Date: October 19, 2016 09:36PM

Costco for the win. Cheap extended warranty and hassle free returns (but not forever) with no restocking fees.

Posted by: You owe it to yourself ()
Date: October 20, 2016 09:29AM

Splurge for this:

LG 55eg9100

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-55eg9100/

Posted by: Oldie ()
Date: October 20, 2016 10:49AM

Whatever you want think Belmont

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaiierJxvWo

Posted by: Old Man Fairfax ()
Date: October 20, 2016 08:26PM

You owe it to yourself Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Splurge for this:
>
> LG 55eg9100
>
> https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-55eg9100/

I agree. That LG has the picture around. Everyone is amazed on the picture quality.

Posted by: dsr ()
Date: October 20, 2016 10:31PM

go to eastcoasttvs.com

used them twice. they'll deliver from jersey whenever you want, when you're home. get a $2000+ tv for much less. free ship, no tax. they'll make sure it works and pop it out of the box.

i.e. get a newer version of the tv linked above for $1470, including 4K.
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/LG-OLED-HDTV-p/55eg9600.htm
try finding that less than $1800 anywhere.

or get a 4K tv cheap.

tvsuperstores.com and joesav.com are the only places that competes on high end value, but can't vouch for them. they have better extended warranties also.

don't go to costco. you'll have the tv for another 6-10 years.

Posted by: wally ()
Date: October 20, 2016 10:42PM

Stay away from WalMart. Their TVs are made to meet Wally's price demands. Major brands, but models that are available nowhere else.

Posted by: Decadent swine-pig ()
Date: October 21, 2016 03:38PM

"Well our 42" Sharp Aqous TV is just about shot "

What exactly is wrong with it? Get off your couch and do some volunteer work in your comunity.

Posted by: oldguy ()
Date: October 21, 2016 04:11PM

Go with Muntz or DuMont. Lucy never looked better.

Posted by: Zenith ()
Date: October 21, 2016 04:28PM

Agree with earlier posters on looking at Costco, but wait until Black Friday sales. All of the retailers drive each others' prices down, even Costco's.

Pro Tip: based on the specs you have above, find a handful of TV's (model numbers and all) that you like and keep a list. Even better if you can get it to one or two to simplify things. Then when Black Friday comes around you'll need only compare prices between retailers as you've already figured out which TV's you like.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.