HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Meal's tax?
Posted by: Undecided ()
Date: October 17, 2016 05:24PM

Should I vote "yes" on the meal's tax?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Meal's tax?
Posted by: easy answer ()
Date: October 17, 2016 05:32PM

Undecided Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Should I vote "yes" on the meal's tax?

it is meals tax (no apostrophe) and unless your name is Shirley Bloomquist, the answer is NO.

Posted by: Kathleen Quartrell ()
Date: October 18, 2016 04:15PM

Most surrounding jurisdictions in Northern Virginia have a meals tax. When we eat in Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax City, Vienna or Herndon, we are helping those communities pay for their important public services and high quality of life. If we want to keep our great teachers — and the families and companies who choose Fairfax County for its great schools — it’s time for Fairfax County to get up to speed and implement a modest meals tax. VOTE "YES" ON THE MEALS TAX.

Posted by: Yes man ()
Date: October 18, 2016 04:16PM

IMHO
Yes is the way to go

Posted by: vote no ()
Date: October 18, 2016 04:19PM

If you approve of people at Gatehouse making more than teachers....vote yes

If you approve of giving all students in Chantilly pyramid computers.....vote yes.

If you approve of spending @$1mill to change the name of a school......vote yes.

If you approve of money to redo bathrooms to accommodate the new transgender rule....vote yes.

If you approve of sending employees to extravagaNOnt conferences.....vote yes.

Whatever you do, do not vote yes until you have watched at least on School Board meeting.

For me, I am voting NO>

Posted by: the elderly and disabled ()
Date: October 18, 2016 04:29PM

The meals tax is unfair-it targets the elderly and disabled.

Read more here;

https://fairfaxvotenoonthemealstax.wordpress.com/2016/10/03/vote-no-on-the-meals-tax-the-meals-tax-targets-the-elderly-and-disabled/

Vote NO on the meals tax.

Posted by: Donald Tramp ()
Date: October 18, 2016 04:57PM

Economics 101. There's no such thing as a free lunch. You want good services, good schools, and good teachers -- the bill must be paid. Enjoy your dinner out and pay the freakin' tax. If you don't want to pay the tax, don't go out for dinner. Cheapskates want everything on the cheap. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Most surrounding jurisdictions in Northern Virginia have a meals tax. When we eat in Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax City, Vienna or Herndon, we are helping those communities pay for their important public services and high quality of life. If we want to keep our great teachers — and the families and companies who choose Fairfax County for its great schools — it’s time for Fairfax County to get up to speed and implement a modest meals tax. Vote "Yes" on the meals tax!

Posted by: good services? ()
Date: October 18, 2016 05:04PM

Donald Tramp Wrote:
> Economics 101. There's no such thing as a free
> lunch. You want good services, good schools, and
> good teachers -- the bill must be paid. Enjoy
> your dinner out and pay the freakin' tax. If you
> don't want to pay the tax, don't go out for
> dinner. Cheapskates want everything on the cheap.
> Remember, you get what you pay for.
>
> Most surrounding jurisdictions in Northern
> Virginia have a meals tax. When we eat in
> Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax City,
> Vienna or Herndon, we are helping those
> communities pay for their important public
> services and high quality of life. If we want to
> keep our great teachers — and the families and
> companies who choose Fairfax County for its great
> schools — it’s time for Fairfax County to get
> up to speed and implement a modest meals tax.
> Vote "Yes" on the meals tax!

https://fairfaxvotenoonthemealstax.wordpress.com/2016/10/10/vote-no-on-the-meals-tax-fcps-consultant-menville-flip-flippen-investigated-by-california-grand-jury/

Sure, let's pass a meals tax so we can pay the Menville "Flip" Flippens of the world six figures for their worthless consulting and $10,000/hour for commencement speeaches. Sure looks like worthwhile expenditures to me!

Posted by: No for me ()
Date: October 18, 2016 05:06PM

I was going to vote 'yes' until the proposed name change for JEB Stuart. I won't further fund that crap.

Posted by: Vote NO! ()
Date: October 18, 2016 05:10PM

When they are honest in addressing why the auditor is paid administrative leave, and when they make a "commitment" it is for teachers salary, talk to me. Otherwise it is just a slush fund for more of their personal pet projects.

Posted by: Sharoom Bullover ()
Date: October 18, 2016 05:12PM

Shut up and approve the tax you peasants. You don't know shit so do as I say because I know EVERYTHING!!!

Posted by: Ying Ko ()
Date: October 18, 2016 05:32PM

I think the meals tax is the only way to get illegals to pay any tax.

Posted by: 22180 resident ()
Date: October 18, 2016 05:55PM

Vote "Yes" because it helps the Town of Vienna. (It already has a meals tax.)

Posted by: wealthy land owner ()
Date: October 18, 2016 06:11PM

It's time you peasants and illegals start paying your fair share. If only we could up the taxes on low end beers and cigarettes.

Posted by: cXTy7 ()
Date: October 18, 2016 06:12PM

Donald Tramp Wrote:
> good teachers -- the bill must be paid.

You are going to need to prove that FCPS is getting good services from their current expenditures. It isn't clear to me. The logic of throwing more money at the problem to fix it doesn't wash.

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: October 18, 2016 06:18PM

Sharoom Bullover Wrote:
> Shut up and approve the tax you peasants. You
> don't know shit so do as I say because I know
> EVERYTHING!!!

The sad truth of the matter is that this is the actual attitude of the School Board.

Date: October 18, 2016 06:27PM

Donald Tramp Wrote:
>

Yes we want good teachers. Yes we want good services. However, the School Board and BOS resist taking action that will produce actual savings and instead ask the taxpayers for a blank check. During the next 3 years you will be getting real estate tax bills that have a 10 percent increase over the preceding year. This is not a one time increase it will be a 10 percent increase in 2018, 2019 and 2020. That is IN ADDITION TO THE MEALS TAX. This is nothing but runaway spending on the part of your elected officials, particularly the School Board!

Posted by: Fairfax County Taxpayer ()
Date: October 18, 2016 09:13PM

I'm voting "No."

I don't eat out regularly, but a lot of restaurants (fast-food and otherwise) serve the guys and gals who don't earn much.

I don't see how taxing them benefits society.

I do see a lot of Fairfax County government workers salivating at this new tax.

As for the so-called "Money for the Schools" portion, mark my words that this means that the giant FCPS headquarters will hire more administrators, and decorate their offices. Meanwhile, the actual students will receive nothing of this new tax.

No Meals Tax. No new tax of any kind until we fix this mess.

Posted by: No1 ()
Date: October 19, 2016 04:53AM

A Meals Tax will raise restaurant prices, which will dissuade people from eating out as frequently as they did in the past.

Revenues from a Meals Tax will fund only $88 million of a $200 million Government budget shortfall, which means it will provide no real estate tax relief to homeowners and businesses.

Revenues from a Meals Tax are not needed for schools, as 75% of school spending is for school personnel compensation which has grown at a 4+% rate over the past few years.

Posted by: No2 ()
Date: October 19, 2016 04:54AM

Fairfax County Government revenues are the highest in history. The Government needs to learn how to spend its money wisely, not seek more revenues.

Fairfax County resident taxes are the highest in history. The populace is overtaxed.

The Meals Tax is a regressive tax, meaning that it will place a heavy burden on those people who can least afford it.

A Meals Tax would send a message that Fairfax County is unfriendly to the restaurant business (including high-end restaurants in Tysons Corner), unlike Loudoun and Prince William Counties which have no such tax.

A Meals Tax will cause restaurant patrons to provide smaller tips to waiters and waitresses, thereby harming people, including minorities, in starter jobs.

A Meals Tax will target a single industry (restaurants) characterized by a high percentage of start-up small businesses, low profit margins, and high rates of failure (93% of restaurants don’t last five years).

Posted by: Barbara Comstock ()
Date: October 19, 2016 06:55AM

Same ole BS - no accountability. We can't balance the budget so let's vote in a new tax and pin it to the heartfelt issue of schools.

FFC is building new Firestations, FFC is buying helicopters with night vision cameras, FFC spending huge sums on consultants but yet STILL somehow needs a meals tax to pay for upkeep for the highly rated school system which is the one of the main drivers of home values and therefore property tax.

What is wrong with this picture ?

Posted by: Gruntled ()
Date: October 19, 2016 12:40PM

Voting yes on the meals tax is like doing a beer run on the way home from your AA meeting. The spending habits of Unfairtax County will not change until they have to.

Posted by: Hilary.Clitoris ()
Date: October 19, 2016 01:31PM

Donald Tramp Wrote:
>

Yeah, but...you're forgetting the other ECON101 lesson. In addition to increasing the revenue pie, the County could also look at reslicing the current revenue pie to fund things differently. Look, I get that roads are a priority for Fairfax County. But, instead of increasing everyone's tax on meals in order to further fund education I think they should look at what could be cut back now that is over-funded in order to properly fund education.

I don't the have the spreadsheet in front of me, nor have I heard about the County Supervisors attempting this. If they haven't looked to reslice the current pie, then a tax hike alone just looks like a cash grab.

Posted by: voting NO ! ()
Date: October 19, 2016 02:05PM

Kathleen Quartrell Wrote:
>

county govt shouldn't be in the business of serving meals in the first place. they should either bring their own or be given time to go home or to a food stall. The idea that county officials should getting involved with meals for people using a free service is ridiculous. They should be taken and seated in a restaurant.

Posted by: yep it is SO great ()
Date: October 19, 2016 02:14PM

Donald Tramp Wrote:
>

Yes, FCPS has great teachers like Laurence Einuis (now in prison for pedophilia) and a great auditor, Goli Trump (on unpaid leave for an unspecified reason). FCPS also hires great consultants like Menville "Flip" Flippen (investigated by a California grand jury).

Oh yes, FCPS really needs more money to stay great.

Posted by: small correction, please ()
Date: October 19, 2016 03:03PM

The FCPS auditor is actually on PAID leave.

Date: October 20, 2016 04:43AM

small correction, please Wrote:
> The FCPS auditor is actually on PAID leave.

The probability is quite high that she is on paid leave due to a report of malfeasance on the part of the School Board or an audit that uncovered the reckless spending of the School Board which would threaten the passage of the meals tax. In any event, they will make some move after the general election when the threat to their "regular order" will be over.

Posted by: Who Gets Hurt By A Meals Tax ()
Date: October 20, 2016 10:43AM

Places that serve 10-14 dollar dinners 8-10 dollar lunches with no alcohol with the meal.

Theres hundreds of these places in FXCO and they will hurt the most and some will close , some will cut back staff throwing people out of a job.

Cheap lunch fast foods and 7-11s selling hot dogs will not be hurt, Its small change at there prices and people have to get something to eat if there not brown bagging.

The higher priced places are expensive enough already that another buck or even more will not make much difference. And these places are where FXCO residents will be paying the tax more so then others.

FCPS will squander the money anyway and want more . Close the Border, vote for Trump. that's your only hope people. And get rid of the spenders on the school board no matter Who you vote for!

This whole thing about elected school boards is a sham. Democrats on the S.B fighting Democrats on the B.O.S. What can you expect when to win a S.B seat you have to promise the world for a vote?? They care less about how much tax you pay.. They only want Their POWER!!

DAJAX

Posted by: Meals ()
Date: October 20, 2016 12:30PM

I seriously doubt you'll see any place close down because of a 4% sales tax. It probably won't affect demand at all. Usually places close down because they suck, are poorly managed, or were just a bad idea to begin with.

I'd actually vote Yes for this tax if it was a 100% offset on property taxes. I actually think that would be a good idea. But since it's not, i'm voting No.

Posted by: Nov. 8 = NO ()
Date: October 20, 2016 02:50PM

Oh look, another thread on the meals tax. Just what we needed.

Posted by: another idea ()
Date: October 20, 2016 03:39PM

how about if i vote FOR the meals tax if the BOS and FCPS allow CHARTER SCHOOLS in Fairfax County - that way we get more funds and accountability - win-win...

Posted by: VOTE N O ()
Date: October 20, 2016 10:28PM

NO NO
VOTE NO
VOTE NO
I HATE FCPS
VOTE NO FUCK TEACHERS FUCK FCPS

Posted by: Section*8*Sharon ()
Date: October 20, 2016 10:30PM

another idea Wrote:
> how about if i vote FOR the meals tax if the BOS
> and FCPS allow CHARTER SCHOOLS in Fairfax County -
> that way we get more funds and accountability -
> win-win...

No! Winning is not allowed. Now get back to work and pay your taxes!

Posted by: just saying ()
Date: October 21, 2016 04:45AM

2.7 billion dollars. $2,700,000,000. That comes out to 15 million dollars per school day. That's what the Fairfax county tax payer is giving the school board to educate our children. And now the nit only want more, but they want a new revenue stream. 51% of all property taxes. Federal grants. State grants. Lottery money. And yet, they find the need to collect money and school supplies from all the parents for the classrooms each year. Three years. That's how long it takes for the head of the Fairfax school system to become a millionaire. The system put into place to educate our youth has become big business. There is 1 support person for every teacher in the system. So no. No more. Manage what you have.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.