HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What % of your household net income do you spend on housing?
Posted by: Craig ()
Date: October 13, 2016 07:29AM

For those that live in NoVA, what percentage of your household net income do you spend on housing (mortgage/rent)? Specifically, interested in families in the 30-45 age range. How do people afford the $1M plus houses in Vienna, Fairfax, Clifton, McLean, etc.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What % of your household net income do you spend on housing?
Posted by: Oldmoney ()
Date: October 13, 2016 07:53AM

For most people in that age group, I think it has more to do with genetics than financial fitness. There is an entire subculture of these assholes around here and they love to play the self made persona when in all actuality, mommy and daddy paid for college and chipped in on every major milestone purchase since. Don't believe the hype! Live simply, bellow your means and let those pricks choke on it!

Posted by: TYT44 ()
Date: October 13, 2016 07:57AM

You could afford to buy a $1M home with an annual income of around $230-275K which is in line with what many dual income professional couples make.

Posted by: Under Employed Worker Bee ()
Date: October 13, 2016 08:04AM

I guess it depends on if you are talking gross or net income. Let's assume net, after taxes, insurance, FICA and all of the other things are stripped from your income.

Approximately 50% of my NET income is going towards my monthly housing payment, however that doesn't include maintenance costs.

My opinion is that the people with the $1M and up houses fall into one of the following categories;

1) Two incomes (or more) per household.
2) They are a high level executive with a huge income.
3) They inherited money or are trust-fund babies. (there's a lot of that around here!)
4) They got lucky in the stock market.
5) They own their own business(es) that have been successful.
6) They are lucky in life in general.
7) They are drug dealers.
8) They are thieves!

The least likely, but still plausible answer:
*) They actually worked hard, saved, maybe purchased multiple houses over time and gradually moved up the social ladder to success!

Posted by: hLcnv ()
Date: October 13, 2016 08:18AM

Craig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What % of your household net income do you spend
> on housing?

Slightly less than 22%.

Monthly housing costs = $7,435 (mortgage, taxes, insurance), excluding maintenance.

Monthly net income: $34,500 (approximately).

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: October 13, 2016 08:41AM

You forgot one other possibility Under Employed Worker Bee:

9) They purchased years ago when the cost was considerably less.

For those with cash and good jobs the time right after the real estate bubble collapsed created an excellent buying opportunity. The same was true in the early 1990s, and even the late 1990s if you bought into the right neighborhoods.

Posted by: all the Land Rovers ()
Date: October 13, 2016 08:50AM

we chose to actually raise our children so we have one full time professional earing in the mid 100k's and the other working from home earning 30k annually and providing all the services our children and home require. We couldnt bear the idea of paying someone to raise our kids, running out the door with them at 7 am to park them in pre and after school programs. Why bother having kids if you do that?

So earning under 200k per year housing costs here are a full 30% of our after tax income. After retirement and college expenses we can still eat out once a week and go on affordable (by car) vacations. Its all been worth it to have a loving parent with the kids at all times - wouldnt trade that for all the Land Rovers in the DC area...

Posted by: Dave Ramsey ()
Date: October 13, 2016 09:07AM

If you don't know about me, google it.

I've helped millions live debt free, including thier mortgages.

There is a seminar going on now in Kingstowne.

Posted by: Rockstar ()
Date: October 13, 2016 09:13AM

A common theme seems to be this combination:

1) dual incomes
2) modest savings, maybe partially inherited, maybe not
3) embezzlement

Posted by: midestmidlevelmanager ()
Date: October 13, 2016 09:25AM

We spend roughly 12% of our net income on housing. But then we chose to live in a townhouse because I loathe landscaping and we prefer to spend our money on other things.

Yeah, we are "townhouse people" (horrors!) to the snobs who think we are "poor."

But then we are paying cash to put our kids through college while the snobs are borrowing money.

Kudos to the previous poster - it's all about lifestyle choices - the wife did not work at all while the kids were small - our kids never saw daycare. Same - we only ate out 1X / week and only took an "expensive" vacation every other year instead of every year.

But on the other hand - people can do what they want - I don't begrudge the snobs to live their life the way they want - bothers me not the least - more power to them. We do it our way and other do it theirs. The important thing is to find a way to not care what others think about your economic or social status. I am happy that there are people willing to work and strive to achieve a lot more in life than myself.

I readily admit that I am not an ambitious person and just do enough to get by - if I have colleagues that are ready and willing to work 20-30 hours more a week than me including weekends while furthering their education at the same time - why should I be unhappy that they make a lot more money than me? I am out hiking on weekends while upper level management are making deals. They should be getting rewarded for that effort. /rant

Posted by: Under Employed Worker Bee ()
Date: October 13, 2016 09:43AM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> You forgot one other possibility Under Employed
> Worker Bee:
>
> 9) They purchased years ago when the cost was
> considerably less.

I believe, in one way or another, I did cover that one. Although, this one is less prevalent than all of the other categories (opinions) I provided.

I try to never count anyone else's money. What's the use, I can't spend it. A lot of people in the Washington Metropolitan area live beyond their means, but that doesn't stop them. ;-)

Cheerio!

Posted by: Dave Ramsey sucks, sorta ()
Date: October 13, 2016 09:50AM

$500 in property taxes, $400 in utilities and services, and $300 for maintanence/repair/upgrades. $1,200 per month and our incomes combined are just over $200k. Our mortgage was paid off in 7 years, we put a big down payment and recently sold a rental property we had for almost 10 years to pay it off completely.

Put down at least 20%, invest your money and don't buy too much house.

Posted by: KKKillary KKKlinton. ()
Date: October 13, 2016 10:35AM

Where can you get a home in a decent neighborhood in ffx for less than a million?

Posted by: he's right ()
Date: October 13, 2016 10:46AM

Dave Ramsey sucks, sorta Wrote:
> $500 in property taxes, $400 in utilities and
> services, and $300 for
> maintanence/repair/upgrades. $1,200 per month and
> our incomes combined are just over $200k. Our
> mortgage was paid off in 7 years, we put a big
> down payment and recently sold a rental property
> we had for almost 10 years to pay it off
> completely.
>
> Put down at least 20%, invest your money and don't
> buy too much house.

You don't NEED a huge house. Wish the new construction around here for SFH wasn't mostly 4000+sqft. You don't really have much an option if you want new construction unless you build it yourself.

I paid off my house a while back, just like this poster did. Sold a rental property to do it as well. Not having a mortgage gives a huge buffer of safety and plenty of cash to invest elsewhere. The current fairfax housing market is not sustainable as for the first time in 30 years, fairfax actually had more people leave than move in. Plus the changing demographics will not make the school system as attractive either.

Posted by: Kenneth Noisewater ()
Date: October 13, 2016 11:12AM

Bill N. wrote:
9) They purchased years ago when the cost was considerably less.

For those with cash and good jobs the time right after the real estate bubble collapsed created an excellent buying opportunity. The same was true in the early 1990s, and even the late 1990s if you bought into the right neighborhoods.

This is so true. We were 28 yrs old when we bought our first home, a modest townhome, in 2004. After 12 years, we have only $100-$120K in equity to show for it. Those fortunate to have bought in the 90s and early 2000s saw their home values more than double. Makes it difficult for people in my situation who are attempting to upgrade. Then you see what your money buys you in this area. $700-$750K will get you a dumpy rambler or split level with outdated interior throughout. I know this is a 'woe is me' post, but there just really is nothing to get excited about this situation.

Posted by: Happy renting ()
Date: October 13, 2016 11:49AM

A nice house in the early 90s may have cost $150,000 but the DOW was also under 5,000. $150,000 in the SP500 in the early 90s is over $1,000,000 today.

Posted by: king of nachos ()
Date: October 13, 2016 12:03PM

Kenneth Noisewater Wrote:
> Bill N. wrote:
> considerably less.
>
> For those with cash and good jobs the time right
> after the real estate bubble collapsed created an
> excellent buying opportunity. The same was true in
> the early 1990s, and even the late 1990s if you
> bought into the right neighborhoods.
>
>
>
> This is so true. We were 28 yrs old when we
> bought our first home, a modest townhome, in 2004.
> After 12 years, we have only $100-$120K in equity
> to show for it. Those fortunate to have bought in
> the 90s and early 2000s saw their home values more
> than double. Makes it difficult for people in my
> situation who are attempting to upgrade. Then you
> see what your money buys you in this area.
> $700-$750K will get you a dumpy rambler or split
> level with outdated interior throughout. I know
> this is a 'woe is me' post, but there just really
> is nothing to get excited about this situation.

You probably could have sold that modest townhome in 05/06 for a decent profit though.

Posted by: not really.. ()
Date: October 13, 2016 12:05PM

From 04 to 06 prices went up, but they were already getting high in 04. After the fees for buying and selling, they probably wouldn't of gotten a whole lot.

Posted by: factor in taxes and depreciation ()
Date: October 13, 2016 12:35PM

I don't understand why people want to "consume" so much house at such high costs. On our street there are new houses going up at $1.3 - $1.6M - the residential real estate taxes for FFX are 1.09/$100 and for Vienna are an additional 0.225/$100 for a combined $1.315/100 or $17,000 p.a. for a $1.3M house. The IRS presumes depreciation for a rental property over 29.5 yrs or 3.4% p.a., another "cost" of $44,000 p.a. (for a house you live in the depreciation is realized as a reduction in basis when you sell the property - I'm using the 3.4% to recognize that there is a depreciation component - I.e. you are "consuming' housing. Ignoring insurance costs and assuming a 25% marginal tax rate for calculating deductions the annual after tax "cost" of that $1.3M house is somewhere on the order of $17,000 + $44,000 = $61,000 * (1-.25) = $46,000 / yr. In a house that costs 1/2 as much, the cost to "consume" housing is also half as much.

It's also interesting to note that million dollar homes are not appreciating since 2009 in Town of Vienna, and, new homes are selling at >20% premiums to similar sized comparable properties that have been previously owned. One builder told me that buyers are willing to pay that premium (and presumably suffer that loss on resale) to "avoid having someone else's dna in their shower" [N.B. he sells new homes!]

When interest rates rise and County and Town taxes rise I expect FFX will become much less attractive for workers and businesses. The "death spiral" is a risk - when County and School costs are funded by increasing residential taxes to the point that businesses can't entice workers to come here, and then house prices drop and taxes are further increased. In the mid 2000s ExxonMobil moved to Texas having downsized 10,000 jobs from Fairfax citing high costs and difficulty enticing workers to relocate to a "high cost area" - it can happen...

Posted by: Nice Guy Eddie ()
Date: October 13, 2016 01:29PM

If it not a dual income and the owner's job does not seem to align with their higher standard of living then the most common factor is parental subsidy. It usually starts with parents encouraging them to buy a better house and chipping in the down payment. The parents then get stuck helping to subsidize the standard of living that comes with that neighborhood (better cloths, furniture, cars, etc).

A guy did a study on the wealthiest people compared to their income and got an answer that nobody expected. While doctors and lawyers earn high incomes, they also live high lifestyles. Small business owners who live in middle class neighborhoods usually had much higher net worth relative to income. They lead a modest lifestyle while earning a significant income from their business and as a result have much, much higher savings and investments.

Posted by: Homeowner hank ()
Date: October 13, 2016 01:41PM

midestmidlevelmanager Wrote:

>
> Yeah, we are "townhouse people" (horrors!) to the
> snobs who think we are "poor."

You have neighbors who live on the other side of the wall? Then you don't own a home, you have an apartment. Grown-ups live in actual houses. Go buy a big-boy house.

Posted by: family tradition ()
Date: October 13, 2016 01:57PM

We have a family tradition that I think is a bit unusual. My wife's grandfather was quite well off. He had five kids and he paid for their educations (I don't think student loans even existed in the early 40s).

Then as each of his kids married, he either bought them their first house or signed over an investment property that he already owned. My wife's sister opted for a beach house he owned that is worth a fortune today (he bought it for $15K in the 30s). My dad married the wrong sister! I'd give my eye teeth to own that beach house, but my cousins won't sell it. My mother is the only one of the five that settled in the DC area.

As the three of us married, following tradition, mom bought us our first homes. Ditto on our educations. I'm the only one of the kids that stayed here after school. It is incredible to start life with no housing expenses besides taxes and insurance. It allowed my wife to stay at home to raise our kids and it allowed me to NEVER have to kiss anybody's ass for a job.

Now, it's my wife's and my turn. Number One daughter just got married and moved to Colorado and is looking for a house as we speak. We're just waiting to find out how much to make the check out for.

One down, two to go!

Posted by: KKKillary KKKlinton. ()
Date: October 13, 2016 02:54PM

Kenneth Noisewater Wrote:
> Bill N. wrote:
> considerably less.
>
> For those with cash and good jobs the time right
> after the real estate bubble collapsed created an
> excellent buying opportunity. The same was true in
> the early 1990s, and even the late 1990s if you
> bought into the right neighborhoods.
>
>
>
> This is so true. We were 28 yrs old when we
> bought our first home, a modest townhome, in 2004.
> After 12 years, we have only $100-$120K in equity
> to show for it. Those fortunate to have bought in
> the 90s and early 2000s saw their home values more
> than double. Makes it difficult for people in my
> situation who are attempting to upgrade. Then you
> see what your money buys you in this area.
> $700-$750K will get you a dumpy rambler or split
> level with outdated interior throughout. I know
> this is a 'woe is me' post, but there just really
> is nothing to get excited about this situation.

You're a liar.

Posted by: Zillow Pillow ()
Date: October 13, 2016 04:33PM

Under 20%. But it wasn't always like this. As the spouse and I have gotten older we've been making more money. And we've refi'd a couple of times to get costs down. Downside is that the mortgage period is a little longer than we'd like but we're moving in a few years anyhow to some place -- any place -- cheaper so it really doesn't matter.

Posted by: 0% APR w/100% down ()
Date: October 13, 2016 06:54PM

paid cash at closing.

Posted by: Terp4Life ()
Date: October 13, 2016 10:24PM

68 percent. And I rent. Time to move back to PG County....

Posted by: Too bad ()
Date: October 13, 2016 10:28PM

0% APR w/100% down Wrote:
> paid cash at closing.

3.25% fixed for 30 years, and it is even lower once you count the interest tax deduction. I'm getting about 8% on the money I could have used to pay for my home in cash.

Posted by: dooh. ()
Date: October 13, 2016 11:14PM

Too bad Wrote:
> 0% APR w/100% down Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > paid cash at closing.
>
>
> 3.25% fixed for 30 years, and it is even lower
> once you count the interest tax deduction. I'm
> getting about 8% on the money I could have used to
> pay for my home in cash.

You forgot to account for the differential risk - back to Finance 101 for you.

Posted by: jerry ()
Date: October 13, 2016 11:17PM

I snapped up a really good deal on an old split level in ffx right at the very bottom of the market after the real estate crash. House was really underpriced even considering there were tons of other low priced short sales and forclosures at the time. Value increase + lots of hard earned sweat equity + general frugality + increases in income = I was able to upgrade to something pretty nice after just a few years.

Posted by: CarterWeatherington,III ()
Date: October 13, 2016 11:33PM

I spend 1% of my wealth on my houses.

Posted by: This ()
Date: October 14, 2016 12:34AM

32 % of Net 24 % of gross

Posted by: You Mean Lazy Feds?? ()
Date: October 14, 2016 12:42AM

>with what many dual income professional couples make.

Or people who actually earn their paychecks?? Its one big reason prices are so high.

Posted by: single income ()
Date: October 14, 2016 03:34PM

15 year mortgage. 800k house FMV today. Spend about 15% of net income on housing. Mortgage done and over in a few months. Single income, but very high on the income scale. I have rejected for years entreaties from realtors to be put into a high end, luxury home. When you go to bed at night in my admittedly nice enough home, or go to bed in a halfway decent town house, or a luxury McMansion, it all feels the same. Most mortgage products are a rip-off in one way or another, unless you have really good credit, enough down payment to avoid PMI, and qualify for triple A underwriting status, and can do a conforming loan. My approach is not necessarily the best way for everyone, but I grew up poor, and dislike debt intensely, even if I shouldn't (you can do well at times on other people's money).

Posted by: I'm single ()
Date: October 14, 2016 05:43PM

I pay about 40% including mortgage, taxes, insurance, and utilities. I also put the max in my 401K which is not included in net income.

Posted by: so depressing ()
Date: October 14, 2016 06:10PM

I'm a single mom with 3 kids
I make 95k taking home about 5k per month

I rent a 350k house for 2k monthly
Add in utilities at 500 per month so half my net goes to housing

Too depressing

Posted by: higher income, pay near that ()
Date: October 14, 2016 06:37PM

so depressing Wrote:
> I'm a single mom with 3 kids
> I make 95k taking home about 5k per month
>
> I rent a 350k house for 2k monthly
> Add in utilities at 500 per month so half my net
> goes to housing
>
> Too depressing

You have 3 dependents and pay $35k in taxes on $95k?

Posted by: 16. ()
Date: October 14, 2016 07:12PM

About 16% of net. House is assessed for $680,00 but I bought it much cheaper in the 1990's. Single, no kids.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: October 14, 2016 07:30PM

higher income, pay near that Wrote:
> You have 3 dependents and pay $35k in taxes on
> $95k?

Or $20K with $15K going to 401(k)...

(Hmm, lots of "k"s in that sentence!)

Posted by: Nother single dude ()
Date: October 14, 2016 07:30PM

Condo living....About 18% go to my mortgage/taxes/insurance, if I add in utilities/condo fees it goes up to about 24%. Might not be a house, but I'm comfy and have plenty left over to sock into retirement and to play with.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: October 14, 2016 09:17PM

18%.

Posted by: FT6Vv ()
Date: October 14, 2016 09:29PM

I am probably ~25% of my take home spent on my mortgage right now.

I lucked out as I was able to buy my townhouse at the bottom of the market from the original owners in a short sale at a 37% loss for them. I did the FHA loan and put 5% but got a huge seller's credit and qualified for the $8k first time home buyers credit. Money down after all of that was ~$1000. Refinanced 2 years later and the equity had gone up enough that I had 21% equity in and was able to jump out of the FHA loan and into conventional one. Currently, my place is worth ~$20K less than what the place originally was bought for by the previous owners. I will never be as lucky.

Posted by: FrankR. ()
Date: October 15, 2016 09:10AM

Without doing any actual math I'd say around 55%. Dual income so that is per person.

I want to sell it as it needs too much work to modernize and I can get a brand new house for the same cost 30 minutes west of here.

Posted by: Nice Guy Eddie ()
Date: October 18, 2016 11:12AM

On a related note, I got a good tip from a realtor. Always go with a 30 year loan. If you want to pay it off in 15 years you calculate the additional payment needed enter the amount on the line "additonal principal" each month. If money ever gets tight you have the option to lower or eliminate the additional principal payment.

Posted by: MEDyU ()
Date: October 18, 2016 11:23AM

There is another huge category of house owners in NOVA: Rich foreigners. They own most of the expensive townhouses in my neighborhood. Mix of Indians, Russians, French, North African countries, Chinese, Saudis, Pakistanis all families of which seem to be occupying the $600,000 and up or owning the multiple ones they are renting out to others. The Americans seem to be occupying the UDF units, many of which are shared housing for roommates. The hispanics pile into the older small "salt-box condos and townhouses" and apartments neighborhoods in the area. The real nice detached homes belong to the managerial class folks or the "well-endowed with daddy's familially passed on portfolios" or the folks with the multiple professional workers in the family, as in the list posted above

Posted by: Rich auslanders ()
Date: November 10, 2016 12:11AM

MEDyU Wrote:
> There is another huge category of house owners in
> NOVA: Rich foreigners. They own most of the
> expensive townhouses in my neighborhood. Mix of
> Indians, Russians, French, North African
> countries, Chinese, Saudis, Pakistanis all
> families of which seem to be occupying the
> $600,000 and up or owning the multiple ones they
> are renting out to others. The Americans seem to
> be occupying the UDF units, many of which are
> shared housing for roommates. The hispanics pile
> into the older small "salt-box condos and
> townhouses" and apartments neighborhoods in the
> area. The real nice detached homes belong to the
> managerial class folks or the "well-endowed with
> daddy's familially passed on portfolios" or the
> folks with the multiple professional workers in
> the family, as in the list posted above

Thats true, we live in Reston and three houses down, there is this huge HOUSE on our street owned by some Ethiopian couple. Its a man hus wife and their two teenage sons. When we talked to them, we found out the husband works for the government in his country as a some sort of minister. They paid for it cash and outright own it.

The funny thing is, they only stay at the house during school year and then lock it and travel back to their country.

They are very pleasant people though and mostly keep it to themselves.

A lot of foreigners buy real estate here as an investment and then rent it out.

Posted by: LJypc ()
Date: November 10, 2016 01:01AM

For many, way too much in rent. If Trumps really sends the illegals out of Fairfax County and the USA back to their 3rd world countries, demand for rental housing will drop and likewise prices for it. Have lived in Fairfax County long enough since the late 1970's to see apartment rental prices for an average priced apartment here then at $200-250 monthly, going up from there with the first large wave of immigration of boat people from the Vietnam War, to currently around or over $1500 per month.

Posted by: Navin Johnson ()
Date: January 17, 2017 07:19PM

Mortgage is currently at 14% of net, but in order to upgrade to bigger house looking at taking on mortgage that is closer to 30-35%. Hate the idea but we're a family of five living in tiny town home. We need space and want to stay in Fairfax. Depressing when you see what you can get in the $600-$750k range in some of these areas.

Posted by: deelee ()
Date: January 17, 2017 09:41PM

If you paid cash for your house you are a retard. Use the bank's money. Invest the rest. Even a conservative strategy will earn you more than you miss out on by putting down cash.

Posted by: NOVA-J ()
Date: January 18, 2017 09:16AM

That is the old school way of thinking. Build wealth faster by paying off your mortgage. Too many people have car loans at 6% and credit cards at 13% and they are forced into these loans because they pre pay their interest tax credit "write-off" to get a few grand in April the following year from the IRS. Run the numbers......$500,000 mortgage has you prepaying 30K in interest! Why do you think the Koreans and others team up to pay cash for houses?>!

Posted by: agreeeed ()
Date: January 18, 2017 09:29AM

Very true, I became a lot more aggressive with my investing after my house was paid off.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.