HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What jobs can one get without a degree here in Ffx that pay at least $10 per hour?
Posted by: Ffu job tree ()
Date: September 20, 2016 01:21PM

Asking for my lazy ass kid.

He just turned 18, and needs to work, however after applying to various retail establishments and learning they all pay $8 an hour and only want to schedule 20 hours a week if that....now I am looking for advice on where else to apply.

He has a HS diploma, NO criminal record, and can pass a drug test no problem.

He tried construction but was turned down because he does not speak spanish (!!) this is after applying for C....lark and S...hirley contracting. He does not want to do labor ready again- he literally worked with people who were shooting heroin on break and those fresh out of jail on burglary charges (!!!!!)

Any advice welcome. He does have work experience in food service (worked @ a major chain restaurant) but really doesn't want to go back into that kitchen environment either. He is not afraid to work outside, in the cold, etc.

I have him enrolling @ NOVA for the next semester coming up in January, but for right now he needs a full time $10 an hour job to afford his bills.

Thanks for any tips!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What jobs can one get without a degree here in Ffx that pay at least $10 per hour?
Posted by: Walter ()
Date: September 20, 2016 01:26PM

Almost any decent retail job not pays $10 or more. Try the mall, or a big chain store, Costco, Macy's, or a Grocery store.

Re: What jobs can one get without a degree here in Ffx that pay at least $10 per hour?
Posted by: Ffu Job Tree ()
Date: September 20, 2016 02:39PM

Walter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Almost any decent retail job not pays $10 or more.
> Try the mall, or a big chain store, Costco,
> Macy's, or a Grocery store.

Costco- tried it, still no call back, heard there is a lot of nepotism so if you don't know anyone that works there already it is hard to get in.

Macys Fair Oaks- offered Seasonal job, $8 an hour 20 hours (or less!) a week. About to take it but when asked to keep a steady day OR night schedule (so he could schedule in a job on the other side, aka work Macys during the day and job B at night), HR told him he has to take whatever hours they give him, it could be any time from 10am-10pm, and he would mostly be "on call" for staff that call out so he would need to be available to come to work at a moment's notice or else lose hours. Same story with other stores in the mall.

Harris Teeter- same story- $8 an hour, work when they say so no set schedule to schedule a backup job.

About to try walmart/target out of desperation, but they pay $8 as well.

Any other ideas? Maybe a different industry to look into? Tried hotels as well but without "previous hotel experience" he is SOL.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: September 20, 2016 02:54PM

Pizza Delivery

Substitute Teacher (but you need 2 yrs of College)

Safeway (they have a Union)

Giant (they have a union)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 02:55PM by phelpsmarc.

Posted by: 1234567 ()
Date: September 20, 2016 02:56PM

Aldi/Trader Joes start at $12

Working at a pet boarding place pickup up shit and walking dogs - $10 - $14

Working for a catering company, delivering food, setting up tables etc - $10 - $14

Best Buy/ Micro Center - $10 - $14

Posted by: 1234567 ()
Date: September 20, 2016 03:33PM

Youth soccer referee. $20+ an hour.

Posted by: WuMKb ()
Date: September 20, 2016 03:36PM

Fed Ex package handler.

Pays over $10/hour, set schedule.
Evening or morning hours so you can attend NoVa.

Posted by: GtS3h ()
Date: September 20, 2016 03:44PM

Any area country club will hire young men to service their matronly members as masseurs at $10/hr. He can make much more in tips if he's enthusiastic about taking the old broads 'over the edge'.

Posted by: can he swim? ()
Date: September 20, 2016 04:02PM

Lifeguard.

Posted by: VD ()
Date: September 20, 2016 04:10PM

Backpage

Posted by: Be Open To New Ideas ()
Date: September 20, 2016 04:19PM

GtS3h Wrote:
> Any area country club will hire young men to
> service their matronly members as masseurs at
> $10/hr. He can make much more in tips if he's
> enthusiastic about taking the old broads 'over the
> edge'.

He can make even more if he's a bit versatile. How's he look in a wig? If he attended FCPS, he may even have experience in this area.

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: September 20, 2016 04:37PM

What bills does he have?

Have him get EMT certified.

Sounds like a prime candidate for the United States Army.

Posted by: Yard, Painting or Construction ()
Date: September 20, 2016 05:00PM

Painting or construction.

Posted by: Lake.Royal ()
Date: September 20, 2016 05:08PM

A certain local contractor is hiring and pays well from what I hear.

Posted by: just saying ()
Date: September 20, 2016 05:16PM

I have hired many people over the years. If he is bereft of skills, then he will have to expect lower pay. If he is wise, he will focus on jobs that will allow him to pick up useful skills. As he becomes more useful, the pay will go up accordingly. If he just focuses on jobs based on pay, at 40 he may find himself in a dead end situation. Short term thinking usually gets short term results. In the meanwhile, most of the young people that don't last long in a low level position do so because 1) They don't show up. 2) They can't get to work on time. 3) They don't understand that a work week consist of 40 hours. That's 8 hours a day, 5 days. In a row. 4) They want to advance, but not enough to focus, pay attention, learn from the guy's that know the job, and maintain a good attitude. That's it. If you can do those things, all under you direct control, you can be successful. The money comes as the person improves. Putting the money first is going to short change long term success.

Posted by: OP eats donkey dicks ()
Date: September 20, 2016 05:31PM

Trump needs a ball washer if you son has a magnifying glass.

Posted by: Binary Data ()
Date: September 20, 2016 05:53PM

Moderators on Fairfax Underground get $16 an hour with full medical and dental benefits.

The works hard and he will need some hip waders, which are tax deductible, but it is the toughest job you'll ever love.

Posted by: Just The Facts, ()
Date: September 20, 2016 06:00PM

As a step-Dad to a lazy-assed kid in Fairfax County, I can tell you that he's going to college, and working at Starbucks. He makes, with tips, about $14 an hour.

Posted by: Her Dick Is Bigger Than Yours ()
Date: September 20, 2016 06:57PM

OP eats donkey dicks Wrote:
> Trump needs a ball washer if you son has a
> magnifying glass.

So does Hillary.

Posted by: Pray With Me ()
Date: September 20, 2016 06:59PM

Mike O'Meara Show Fan Wrote:
> What bills does he have?
>
> Have him get EMT certified.
>
> Sounds like a prime candidate for the United
> States Army.

Or Salvation Army.

Posted by: Carry Wet Wipes ()
Date: September 20, 2016 07:06PM

Sucking dick at the I-66 Rest Area or at a truck stop for $20.00 a head.

Posted by: catch22-experience-job ()
Date: September 20, 2016 11:56PM

I had to hustle at lot when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I graduated in 1989 into the recession of the early 90s. You can't get experience without a job and you can't get a job without experience. It was frustrating trying to find a job that provided value beyond a paycheck, even if it sucked.

The path I took might not be viable today. My advice to your son is to never stop pushing yourself, don't let your first job define your career, pick something practical, and don't be afraid to change it for the better. My career field didn't exist when I graduated. Also - focus on career and save the dating/relationships for later.

I picked up vocational training in high school. I worked part time at fast food shit jobs making $3.35/hr. Being male, white, and having an income made it hard to get any scholarships or grants for college, so I couldn't afford it. Working kept me out of extracurricular activities like football and studying. I didn't have the grades or associations for merit scholarships. A clerical error blessed me with a 3.8 GPA but no potential employer ever bothered to check.

The vocational skills got me $10/hr in 1991 when I was 20 years old. What. The. Hell? 25 years of inflation later and people are scrambling for jobs that pay less. Seriously - track gas prices and rent over that time. $10 in 1991 is $17.55 in 2015. $10 in 2015 was $5.70 in 1991. (according to some random inflation calculator) - Now factor in how expensive it is to live here.

I worked three jobs for a few years while going to community college. I got into computers. Worked every weekend for $10 under the table assembling clone PCs and fixing the stuff the weekday techs couldn't figure out. I worked banquet serving jobs here and there. I fixed computers here and there. Then... BOOM - I broke the job/experience catch-22.

I completely burned out. I quit community college. I quit the field that used my high school vocational training. I started working computers full time. That was the best decision of my life. Contacts from past jobs gave me side work fixing computers that paid more in a month than my vocational job.

The job I have today didn't exist a decade ago. I have been well employed through the early 90s recession, 2001 dot com bust, and 2008's great recession. I have earned six figures for the last 15 years and am on track for my best year ever. I wish I could earn this much in a place not as expensive as Fairfax County.

I never finished that degree but I never stopped pushing. I am very fortunate and every opportunity required hard work. Those fast food places still smell the same. They vividly remind me of when I was making $3.35/hr. I hope that everybody ambitious and capable enough to go far has the opportunity to do so - but it sure looks tough nowadays.

Posted by: Ruthtruths ()
Date: September 21, 2016 02:13AM

College degrees aren't valuable once everyone has them. Find a passion and go after it. You may find no one cares you don't have a degree. There are all kind of excuses you can make to stay unemployed. Excuses are like assholes, everyone's got'em.

Posted by: 7eGn6 ()
Date: September 21, 2016 02:46AM

catch22-experience-job Wrote:
> I had to hustle at lot when I was in my late teens
> and early twenties. I graduated in 1989 into the
> recession of the early 90s. You can't get
> experience without a job and you can't get a job
> without experience. It was frustrating trying to
> find a job that provided value beyond a paycheck,
> even if it sucked.
>
> The path I took might not be viable today. My
> advice to your son is to never stop pushing
> yourself, don't let your first job define your
> career, pick something practical, and don't be
> afraid to change it for the better. My career
> field didn't exist when I graduated. Also - focus
> on career and save the dating/relationships for
> later.
>
> I picked up vocational training in high school. I
> worked part time at fast food shit jobs making
> $3.35/hr. Being male, white, and having an income
> made it hard to get any scholarships or grants for
> college, so I couldn't afford it. Working kept me
> out of extracurricular activities like football
> and studying. I didn't have the grades or
> associations for merit scholarships. A clerical
> error blessed me with a 3.8 GPA but no potential
> employer ever bothered to check.
>
> The vocational skills got me $10/hr in 1991 when I
> was 20 years old. What. The. Hell? 25 years of
> inflation later and people are scrambling for jobs
> that pay less. Seriously - track gas prices and
> rent over that time. $10 in 1991 is $17.55 in
> 2015. $10 in 2015 was $5.70 in 1991. (according
> to some random inflation calculator) - Now factor
> in how expensive it is to live here.
>
> I worked three jobs for a few years while going to
> community college. I got into computers. Worked
> every weekend for $10 under the table assembling
> clone PCs and fixing the stuff the weekday techs
> couldn't figure out. I worked banquet serving
> jobs here and there. I fixed computers here and
> there. Then... BOOM - I broke the job/experience
> catch-22.
>
> I completely burned out. I quit community
> college. I quit the field that used my high
> school vocational training. I started working
> computers full time. That was the best decision
> of my life. Contacts from past jobs gave me side
> work fixing computers that paid more in a month
> than my vocational job.
>
> The job I have today didn't exist a decade ago. I
> have been well employed through the early 90s
> recession, 2001 dot com bust, and 2008's great
> recession. I have earned six figures for the last
> 15 years and am on track for my best year ever. I
> wish I could earn this much in a place not as
> expensive as Fairfax County.
>
> I never finished that degree but I never stopped
> pushing. I am very fortunate and every
> opportunity required hard work. Those fast food
> places still smell the same. They vividly remind
> me of when I was making $3.35/hr. I hope that
> everybody ambitious and capable enough to go far
> has the opportunity to do so - but it sure looks
> tough nowadays.

2mpyjd2.jpg

You may make 6 figures now but you will never be as cool as the teenage version of you who used to hang out at Springfield Mall on the weekends.

Posted by: Mr-Know-It-All ()
Date: September 21, 2016 11:25AM

Home Depot

Posted by: helpful lvl is over 9000 ()
Date: September 25, 2016 05:22AM

what the hell is going on here?!?!

is this the golden thread looked over by the trolls of FXU?

not one spiteful, hateful suggestion, unfunny racist, sarcastic.

No one screaming about the expletives taking construction jobs from your son, and how its all the Hillary's fault??

I've lost faith in this site.

Congratulations lady for posting here and not instantly regretting it.

Posted by: Jobs82 ()
Date: September 25, 2016 05:40AM

Your kid should be out there hustling to find a job and not you posting on FFXU of all places. Costco is a great spot for a kid and it was paying $10/HR in 2002 when I worked there part time during summers in college. Saying you haven't heard back yet and blaming nepotism is laughable. Costco like every other decent paying place probably get 40-50 job applicants a week. Filling out an application is the bare minimum to do. If your kid didn't take the time speak with the warehouse manager or assistant managers .. Why would they even bother calling back?

You have to work hard to work hard.

Posted by: Dr. Memory ()
Date: September 25, 2016 06:14AM

The Oak Marr rec center golf facility had 'We Are Hiring' signs up a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by: Debbie Wasserman ()
Date: September 25, 2016 01:38PM

He should run for mayor of Fairfax City. It's a job typically held by dropout losers.

Posted by: YHXdJ ()
Date: September 25, 2016 04:00PM

Journeyman in any one of the technical trades. You will be at the bottom and gofer but speaking English at the parts warehouse is a win.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.