HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Kempton Bonds
Posted by: c64CE ()
Date: April 19, 2017 09:17PM

Quaseymotto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/chantilly/teen-who
> -stabbed-caterer-to-death-released-on-bond/3156346
> 61

they never state what happened in the news

"teen WHO DEFENDED HIMSELF from attack released..."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Christy L ()
Date: April 19, 2017 11:23PM

nightstalker Wrote:
> Quaseymotto Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
>
> >
>
> > 61
>
> He sorta looks like Richard Ramirez.

Kempton is a good looking guy. I would love to get together with him. I hope he is fully innocent of all charges and can get on with his life. He had to stab her or he would be dead.

Posted by: K dogg chimp shanker ()
Date: April 20, 2017 06:46AM

Christy L Wrote:
> nightstalker Wrote:
> -----
> > Quaseymotto Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > 61
> >
> > He sorta looks like Richard Ramirez.
>
> Kempton is a good looking guy. I would love to get
> together with him. I hope he is fully innocent of
> all charges and can get on with his life. He had
> to stab her or he would be dead.

Yo girl, how i get with you?

Posted by: Courthouse nerd ()
Date: April 27, 2017 10:09PM

Any news on trial date? Fairfax doesn't have a Circuit court website like all other counties in Virginia. Maybe at the court house you can find out. Any Insiders have any information. I would like to attend the trial if there is one. I think he is innocent of all charges after seeing the video. He had a three inch which is legal to carry. He was attacked.

Posted by: Courthouse insider ()
Date: April 28, 2017 08:57PM

Go to the fourth floor of the court house. Go to Circuit court files and you can check with clerk or go in their computer room.

Posted by: Courthouse whore ()
Date: June 07, 2017 12:30PM

Any updates on this case? Can't look up circuit court for Fairfax online. Was it dismissed? It seems like it.

Posted by: Dghf ()
Date: June 07, 2017 08:25PM

Case closed?

Date: June 28, 2017 06:10PM

Any updates on this case? Been a long time now. Probably plea deal for self defense involuntary manslaughter. Probation for or a year or so.

Posted by: mens rea ()
Date: June 28, 2017 09:32PM

Dghf Wrote:
> Any updates on this case? Been a long time now.
> Probably plea deal for self defense involuntary
> manslaughter. Probation for or a year or so.

CA's office thinks they can get murder 2 or at least voluntary manslaughter at trial. Plea deal was voluntary manslaughter, with an eight year ride downstate. Greenspun either couldn't sell the plea to Kempton or thinks he can do better at trial.

Also, the phrase "involuntary manslaughter self defense" is nonsensical gibberish. Self defense is an absolute defense to either a murder or manslaughter charge. If you're found to have acted in self defense, you walk.

Date: June 28, 2017 10:52PM

mens rea Wrote:
> Dghf Wrote:
> -----
> > Any updates on this case? Been a long time now.
>
> > Probably plea deal for self defense involuntary
> > manslaughter. Probation for or a year or so.
>
> CA's office thinks they can get murder 2 or at
> least voluntary manslaughter at trial. Plea deal
> was voluntary manslaughter, with an eight year
> ride downstate. Greenspun either couldn't sell the
> plea to Kempton or thinks he can do better at
> trial.
>
> Also, the phrase "involuntary manslaughter self
> defense" is nonsensical gibberish. Self defense is
> an absolute defense to either a murder or
> manslaughter charge. If you're found to have acted
> in self defense, you walk.

So when is the court date? Why the behind the scenes stuff? Any information on the trial if there is a trial.

Posted by: Friend of Kempton ()
Date: June 28, 2017 10:56PM

There is no plea whatsoever. Kempton is innocent. Clearly self defense. Violent people attacked and he had to defend himself. Trial is set for October.

Posted by: Steve Keller ()
Date: June 29, 2017 01:37PM

So when is the court date? Why so hush hush. The man needs to be cleared of all charges and get on with his life.

Date: July 11, 2017 10:20AM

4th floor. Interesting trial

Posted by: Lisa M ()
Date: July 11, 2017 11:29AM

Kempton I love you honey. When this is over and you are found innocent of all charges I can't wait to get together with you. Love you handsome.

Posted by: Eyewitnesses ()
Date: July 11, 2017 12:17PM

I can't wait to hear what happens when these ghetto trash party goers testify and fuck everything up.

This kid deserves a fucking medal for patience.

Posted by: What happened today? ()
Date: July 11, 2017 06:10PM

Any updates?

Date: July 11, 2017 06:40PM

What happened today? Wrote:
> Any updates?

Assistant CA Shapiro is basing the States case on a rude snippy and then unprovoked violent person. Not working. Greenspun argued that Mr Bonds was following protocol and was ultimately standing on a railing which drops 10 feet down. Ms Johns attacked and he defended himself.

Ms Johns friend gave the usual crying testimony of the stabbing and Ms Johns dying. Very sad but not Mr Bonds fault.

Posted by: What happened today? ()
Date: July 11, 2017 06:47PM

Have they talked about threats made against Kempton?

Posted by: Lock him up ()
Date: July 11, 2017 07:20PM

Courthouse insider Wrote:
> What happened today? Wrote:
> -----
> > Any updates?
>
> Assistant CA Shapiro is basing the States case on
> a rude snippy and then unprovoked violent person.
> Not working. Greenspun argued that Mr Bonds was
> following protocol and was ultimately standing on
> a railing which drops 10 feet down. Ms Johns
> attacked and he defended himself.
>
>
> Ms Johns friend gave the usual crying testimony of
> the stabbing and Ms Johns dying. Very sad but not
> Mr Bonds fault.

He is a killer

Posted by: True the Vote! ()
Date: July 11, 2017 08:55PM

The kid stood his ground, did his job, and took out a feral convict. He is a role model for todays young adults. He is a hero.

Posted by: Greta Van Toobin ()
Date: July 12, 2017 08:25AM

Only a jury stands between this kid and a legal lynching. The fact that lying wedding party committed their lying accounts to tape before the cell phone video was released should result in an acquittal. Depends on how many retarded liberals are on the jury.

Posted by: Horrible policing that night ()
Date: July 12, 2017 02:49PM

Terrible policeman that night. Greenspun doing well. Supervisor Zane Stivers did terrible job. The contract said reception is over at 9pm. Stivers told wedding reception people 10pm without telling Kempton! What a travesty! Stivers should be fired and sued by Kempton.

Posted by: b. juckss ()
Date: July 12, 2017 03:01PM

Why would any white person have to work a wedding, party, whatever, for niggers? You know the niggers are going to be loud, rude disrespectful and think they can do what they want.
That was the first mistake, agreeing to do it in the first place.
Imagine if he didn't have a knife, those niggers would have beat the shit out of the kid, maybe killed him. Blacks can be extremely violent, especially when they're angry at a white person. So, really the guy had no choice. You cant wait around to see if niggers are going to be reasonable. Remember, they're called niggers for a reason.

Posted by: County and police let him down ()
Date: July 12, 2017 03:15PM

A new Scottish officer, not naming him, is not good at all. Terrible that night and Greenspun exploited him to his lack of policing that night and claiming he didn't remember key things that night. The police left for a car accident at 9:45 and already had a lot of units at accident. One or two needed to stay with Kempton! 100 percent innocent.

Posted by: Supervisor should be fired ()
Date: July 12, 2017 03:33PM

Yes, you Zane Stivers! Why did you say 10 pm to reception without telling Kempton who was going by the contract which says 9 pm. You should be ashamed of yourself Stivers. You caused this.

Posted by: Squaker ()
Date: July 12, 2017 05:23PM

Wish I had time to attend the trial. From what I've read here KB's chances look fairly good. Defense attorneys often try to make the defendent into a victim, but in this case Kempton really was a victim of Stivers' incompetence.

Posted by: The Washington Post sucks it ()
Date: July 12, 2017 06:37PM

I could use a little more coverage on this trial.

Date: July 12, 2017 06:40PM

Incompetent first rookie Police officer. Greenspun made him look so bad today! Scottish accent was hard to understand at times. And his statements from his notes at the time of incident were conflicting what he said today. He liked and Greenspun ripped into him like he should have. Greenspun is definitely one of the best Attorneys there are. Police had a volatile situation with a 19 year old slightly built young man who needed help from a crazy group of violent people.

Date: July 12, 2017 06:44PM

I meant to say the Scottish Police officer lied not liked. They deserted the violent scene of Kempton being assaulted physically and verbally and did not perform their duties. Shame on you Officer Stewart.

Posted by: What we may have here ()
Date: July 12, 2017 06:56PM

This is one of those cases where the CA didn't want to look soft on a white>black /lesbian violent crime. If the cell phone evidence was reviewed, it would have been pretty clear there was a confrontation and at worst a much lesser charge.

I think the highlight of this trial will be the eyewitnesses being impeached.

Posted by: And? ()
Date: July 12, 2017 07:49PM

What we may have here Wrote:
> This is one of those cases where the CA didn't
> want to look soft on a white>black /lesbian
> violent crime. If the cell phone evidence was
> reviewed, it would have been pretty clear there
> was a confrontation and at worst a much lesser
> charge.
>
>
> I think the highlight of this trial will be the
> eyewitnesses being impeached.

100 percent innocent? Or guilty of something? What do you'll think. I still can't believe the circumstances of this whole case. Supervisor Stivers is should be fired immediately with no pension. The police should be suspended or fired for sherking their duties in a dangerous situation with a small white man surrounded by angry black people whom already assaulted him and cursed him. Yes, one man put his arm around Kempton in an aggressive forceful manner and for some reason Officer Stewart can't remember today in court but it was on his supervisors notes.

Posted by: XXXX4YOURAZZ ()
Date: July 12, 2017 09:05PM

THE BRIDE IS TO BLAME..
KID DEFENDED HIMSELF.

Posted by: Ludwig ()
Date: July 12, 2017 09:28PM

Date: July 12, 2017 09:50PM

XXXX4YOURAZZ Wrote:
> THE BRIDE IS TO BLAME..
> KID DEFENDED HIMSELF.

She is one of many to blame. The list goes on and on but starts with Zane Stivers! Then the police then of course the hostil party.

Posted by: nigger logic ()
Date: July 12, 2017 10:04PM

Got a died nigger.

Date: July 12, 2017 10:21PM

Case probably will be in the juries hands tomorrow. I hope they do the right thing. Full acquittal. Tragic loss of life of a great chef and caterer. But this young man was left with zero options thanks to Zane Stivers and Officer Stewart,the Scottish guy, and unfortunately this happened. Wrongful death? Sue Zane Stivers for disobeying the contract.

Posted by: Hope and Pray... ()
Date: July 12, 2017 10:47PM

For this young man. He is innocent and the media knows it.

Posted by: Dave777 ()
Date: July 13, 2017 09:37AM

Were there open seats at the trial ? I would love to read the transcripts.

Date: July 13, 2017 11:10AM

Dave777 Wrote:
> Were there open seats at the trial ? I would love
> to read the transcripts.

Many empty seats. Room 4J

Posted by: Whats up 2 ()
Date: July 13, 2017 11:31AM

Just was driving through Fairfax City and everyone is outside of the courthouse and emergency vehicles are there. Anyone know whats going on?

Posted by: awrawrawr ()
Date: July 13, 2017 11:45AM

Some sort of false fire alarm. It has since resumed.

Date: July 13, 2017 11:56AM

I can't make it to the trial. Please post updates whoever goes. Yesterday was a strong overwhelming day for Greenspun. Should be not guilty. Verdict today.

Posted by: what happened today? ()
Date: July 13, 2017 07:45PM

bump

Posted by: UPDATE* ()
Date: July 13, 2017 07:49PM

CNP from the Post.

The way Kempton Bonds described it, Tyonne Johns moved toward him faster than he could process what was happening.

His back was against a railing, more than nine feet above the ground, and soon her hands were around his neck and his left hand was trapped between their bodies, Bonds testified Thursday, taking the witness stand in his defense.

He told the jury what was going through his mind: “She’s right on top of me, and she’s pushing me and I can’t breathe, I can’t move, I can’t breathe, and I just know I have to get her off of me,” Bonds said. “I open the knife, and I stab her to get her off of me.”

Johns’s mother left the courtroom crying as Bonds, who is charged with second-degree murder, described stabbing her daughter during an altercation after a wedding reception at a Chantilly park. Fairfax County Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Brandon Shapiro and witnesses, including the bride and a wedding guest, had said Johns never touched Bonds, a park employee.

Bonds testified for hours on the fourth day of his trial in Fairfax County Circuit Court. The jury will decide whether the stabbing in August last year at Ellanor C. Lawrence Park was a crime or if Bonds acted in self-defense.

Shapiro and defense attorney Peter Greenspun are expected to give their closing arguments Friday before the jury begins deliberations.

The prosecution has portrayed Bonds as a stickler to the venue rules who had aggravated the wedding party and guests and then turned violent. But the defense countered that Bonds, now 20, felt threatened by Johns, 35, who was the wedding caterer and a friend of the bride and groom.

Posted by: CNP #2 ()
Date: July 13, 2017 07:50PM

Earlier this week, Greenspun told jurors a story of a young man getting ready to head off to Virginia Commonwealth University and who was trying to follow the rules of his employer.

“He was so upbeat. We were having a wonderful time going linen shopping, buying accessories for the apartment, daily living things,” Bonds’s mother, Madelyn Smith, testified Thursday. Her son was “optimistic and very much looking forward to his life.”

The knife Bonds used to stab Johns twice in her chest, tearing through her chest cavity, lung and puncturing her heart, was a weapon made by his father who had died two years before the incident, said Smith, who was married 23 years ago Sunday at the location of the killing.

Bride Camellia Southerland, 37, testified this week that Bonds was “very sarcastic and rude” throughout the night.

Soon after they finished cutting the wedding cake, Bonds shut off the music. This was before Southerland had her first dance with her husband, she said.

Although Bonds was following rules in the contract for the venue — which required that the music be ended at 9 p.m. — Southerland said she didn’t realize this would happen. Along with some guests, she said, she pleaded with him to turn the music back on. After heated conversations with Bonds and his manager, the music resumed.

But at this point, Southerland testified, she felt like her wedding was a “complete disaster.”

Posted by: CNP #3 ()
Date: July 13, 2017 07:51PM

Southerland cried on the stand as the prosecution played a video, recorded by Bonds, of wedding guests yelling curse words at Bonds outside the venue before he fatally stabbed Johns. Southerland said that she doesn’t usually curse and that her behavior reflected her annoyance with Bonds’s behavior throughout the night.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: July 13, 2017 08:22PM

UPDATE* Wrote:
> CNP from the Post.
>
>
>
>
> The way Kempton Bonds described it, Tyonne Johns
> moved toward him faster than he could process what
> was happening.
>
> His back was against a railing, more than nine
> feet above the ground, and soon her hands were
> around his neck and his left hand was trapped
> between their bodies, Bonds testified Thursday,
> taking the witness stand in his defense.
>
> He told the jury what was going through his mind:
> “She’s right on top of me, and she’s pushing
> me and I can’t breathe, I can’t move, I
> can’t breathe, and I just know I have to get her
> off of me,” Bonds said. “I open the knife, and
> I stab her to get her off of me.”
>
> Johns’s mother left the courtroom crying as
> Bonds, who is charged with second-degree murder,
> described stabbing her daughter during an
> altercation after a wedding reception at a
> Chantilly park. Fairfax County Assistant
> Commonwealth’s Attorney Brandon Shapiro and
> witnesses, including the bride and a wedding
> guest, had said Johns never touched Bonds, a park
> employee.
>
> Bonds testified for hours on the fourth day of his
> trial in Fairfax County Circuit Court. The jury
> will decide whether the stabbing in August last
> year at Ellanor C. Lawrence Park was a crime or if
> Bonds acted in self-defense.
>
> Shapiro and defense attorney Peter Greenspun are
> expected to give their closing arguments Friday
> before the jury begins deliberations.
>
> The prosecution has portrayed Bonds as a stickler
> to the venue rules who had aggravated the wedding
> party and guests and then turned violent. But the
> defense countered that Bonds, now 20, felt
> threatened by Johns, 35, who was the wedding
> caterer and a friend of the bride and groom.
>

why were the dramatics by the public allowed in the courtroom? i thought that type of thing was strictly controlled.

Posted by: Police fault also ()
Date: July 13, 2017 09:06PM

Officer Stewart was supposed to stay and keep peace. But he left without telling Kempton or his own police supervisor. He also lied about it in court. A complete piece of shit. The reception people most definitely knew the cops left and that is why they got more violent. Kempton thought the police were there. And Zane Stivers is another piece of shit. So eless supervisor BITCH

Posted by: The stabbing ()
Date: July 13, 2017 10:16PM

This helps self defense claim. Two stab wounds in same location. The first was non life threatening. The second hit the heart. These were two quick jabs in the chest to get her off his neck. He wasn't stabbing to be stabbing for murder.

Posted by: PoorGUY ()
Date: July 14, 2017 07:09AM

I've seen firsthand how TERRIFYING adult black women can be. They are more dangerous than their male counterparts sometimes. Kempton looks like the only street smarts he has is from GTA video games.

Add the fact that she "owns her own bidness" and is a dyke-damn! Johnny Cochran getting a worm infested boner right now!

This kid panicked when these Mu Mu's started using their negro terror tactics at this party.

Bottom line:
Kempton was in fear of his life.

Blacks should stay in DC or PG

There should be separate facilities for you to rent based on race.

The blacks areas will be filthy, because they are closely related to chimpanzees in their DNA. Chimpanzees are very violent.

Free Kempton!

Posted by: You are ()
Date: July 14, 2017 08:06AM

PoorGUY Wrote:
> I've seen firsthand how TERRIFYING adult black
> women can be. They are more dangerous than their
> male counterparts sometimes. Kempton looks like
> the only street smarts he has is from GTA video
> games.
>
> Add the fact that she "owns her own bidness" and
> is a dyke-damn! Johnny Cochran getting a worm
> infested boner right now!
>
> This kid panicked when these Mu Mu's started using
> their negro terror tactics at this party.
>
> Bottom line:
> Kempton was in fear of his life.
>
> Blacks should stay in DC or PG
>
> There should be separate facilities for you to
> rent based on race.
>
> The blacks areas will be filthy, because they are
> closely related to chimpanzees in their DNA.
> Chimpanzees are very violent.
>
> Free Kempton!

Do you have issues because your mom loved the bbc?
Sounds like you need some counseling
Maybe its your mom's fault you are a closet homosexual, maybe not but a few sessions may help you find the answers

Posted by: notsre ()
Date: July 14, 2017 09:44AM

His defense was she was chocking him he could not breath but he could get out a pocket knife unfold it and stab her in the chest... I say BS . What did he care if she took the chairs ? I don't want him out .

Posted by: doubt ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:05AM

reasonable doubt--not helped by witnesses changing stories

Posted by: Greta Van-Toobin ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:17AM

Kempton's defense makes perfect sense. The fact that someone has both hands on your neck does not prohibit you from using your arm. In fact, it makes it easier to strike a blow.

The prosecution theory is that he knowingly approached Johns and stabbed her despite believing police to be in the vicinity (as evidenced by his yells for police). Nothing in the cell phone video/audio supported that theory.

The wedding party was even more bizarre claiming he was weird because he was supervising the premises he was in charge of, that he was violating the contract when in fact the wedding party was, that he was racist and/or homophobic despite no such statements being made on the cell phone audio/911 tape. On the youtube video "tragedy of chef tyonne johns" or whatever, the only thing they could specifically point out to support (illogically of course) the racism or homophobic angle was that he had trump bumper stickers on his car! Everything in the cell phone video/audio shows Johns attacked Kempton yelling she had her bail money ready for the criminal assault she intended to perpetrate! What else does a 19 year old need to believe he is fear of serious bodily harm or injury?!!?

Tyonne Johns brought her own death upon herself. This should be a teaching lesson for persons of her ilk not for law abiding citizens who may be threatened by groups of blacks. Perversely the moral of the story has become: when threatened with criminal assault by blacks, accept your beatdown and hope they don't cripple or kill you, otherwise you may go to jail for life.

Posted by: crime stats shall set him free ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:35AM

reasonable doubt, for sure. If you've never been up and close and personal to a chimp out it can be quite terrifying.
There's a reasonable fear, based on crime statistics, that anyone , black or white, should have when around loud, angry blacks.
I'm not trying to be funny. As sad as it is, this is true.

Posted by: Atty 6969 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 11:10AM

Let's all forget about race. This is self defense regardless of any race. Race has nothing to do with the case. Innocent.

Posted by: Park supervisor. Coward ()
Date: July 14, 2017 11:44AM

Booking a large wedding reception with 1 worker? A 19 year old who did as good a job as humanly possible. You messed up bad Zane Stivers! Kempton will be acquitted in my opinion, but you caused this by not communicating properly with Kempton or the reception people. You really should be fired.

Posted by: KANG ()
Date: July 14, 2017 12:36PM

1) Kempton is mixed race, not white. I dont know why people keep calling him a "white boy". His dad was half black have native amarican iirc
2) He stabbed her in the lung. He probably didnt think it would be fatal because it doesnt seem like a critical place to be wounded if you're unfamiliar with such things. Not to mention it seems like he was being strangled at the time based on all the evidence so he probably didnt have a great view of what he was doing and was reacting instinctively rather than maliciously.

Im sorry your friend died (assuming you're not a troll) Im sure that wasn't his intention. The whole situation is bad for both parties involved.

Posted by: Stereotyper123 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 03:30PM

Kempton was a weird awkward sissy who was abusing his power. That obviously clashed w/the wedding party of blacks who just wanted to sing, dance and enjoy themselves. The kid was an obnoxious little prick, but as blacks like Trayvon Martin are finding out you can't attack someone w/force and not have any repercussions. If you dont want to get stabbed or shot, dont attack people physically. Blacks somehow lose the ability to restrain themselves in these situations. Given the evidence on the camera phone, a shrewd Jew like Greenspun will no doubt secure a well deserved acquittal. The lesson for people to be learned is that when you physically confront someone they have the right to kill you, and while its unfortunate, its well within the law.

Date: July 14, 2017 04:00PM

Stereotyper123 Wrote:
> Kempton was a weird awkward sissy who was abusing
> his power. That obviously clashed w/the wedding
> party of blacks who just wanted to sing, dance and
> enjoy themselves. The kid was an obnoxious little
> prick, but as blacks like Trayvon Martin are
> finding out you can't attack someone w/force and
> not have any repercussions. If you dont want to
> get stabbed or shot, dont attack people
> physically. Blacks somehow lose the ability to
> restrain themselves in these situations. Given
> the evidence on the camera phone, a shrewd Jew
> like Greenspun will no doubt secure a well
> deserved acquittal. The lesson for people to be
> learned is that when you physically confront
> someone they have the right to kill you, and while
> its unfortunate, its well within the law.

Very well said! I don't think Kempton was trying to be a jerk though. The blame goes to the Manager Zane Stivers who should have been there and was communicating with the reception and not with Kempton. In other words he was a piece of shit.

Posted by: Squaker ()
Date: July 14, 2017 05:17PM

From Channel 4 the story:

The jury had two questions for the judge and attorneys late Friday afternoon: They asked for clarification on the definition of "heat of passion" and "involuntary manslaughter."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Kempton-Bonds-Murder-Trial-Deliberations-434552053.html

Posted by: The video ()
Date: July 14, 2017 05:50PM

Posted by: Verdict? ()
Date: July 14, 2017 07:12PM

Are they still deliberating? Maybe verdict soon I hope. Tragic death but he had to defend himself because the police didn't do their job properly.

Posted by: Ty Coon ()
Date: July 14, 2017 07:12PM

Nigger had it coming.

Posted by: D4XX6 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 08:15PM

What would have happened if he didn't defend himself? Is it even possible not to defend oneself?

Posted by: DC Attorney ()
Date: July 14, 2017 08:17PM

Mistrial according to David Culver of NBC4.

Posted by: Law and Order ()
Date: July 14, 2017 08:35PM

Judge declared a mistrial after jury couldn't come to a verdict. What happens now?

Posted by: Dog Walker1 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 08:37PM

Stories about the mistrial:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Kempton-Bonds-Murder-Trial-Deliberations-434552053.html

http://wjla.com/news/local/jury-weighs-murder-v-self-defense-in-caterer-case

==========
==========

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Cassis on manners

Ignoring juvenile attacks and remarks on the internet for over two decades.

Arguing by deflection or name-calling is an admission that you don't have a rational argument.

Posted by: Free or new trial? ()
Date: July 14, 2017 08:43PM

Unbelievable these jurors are so spineless! Clearly self defense here. Is he free now? Another trial? Help us out Attorney. Or anyone who knows the law.

Posted by: Don't understand ()
Date: July 14, 2017 08:45PM

If there are two mistrials, are they not able to try again by law?

Or is that two hung juries? What's the difference?

Date: July 14, 2017 08:54PM

Law and Order Wrote:
> Judge declared a mistrial after jury couldn't come
> to a verdict. What happens now?

Commonwealth's Attorney (prosecutor) considers whether to retry the defendant.

Factors include whether the community is eager to retry. Political pressure can play a part in this.

In some jurisdictions the prosecutor can ask jurors what the vote was. I'm not sure whether that is allowed in VA.

The vote of jury, if known, may greatly affect whether the prosecutor pushes to retry. If the vote was 11 guilty and 1 not guilty, prosecutor will likely retry the defendant. If the vote was 11 not guilty and 1 guilty, prosecutor is unlikely to want to retry the defendant.

==========
==========

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Cassis on manners

Arguing by deflection or name-calling is an admission that you don't have a rational argument.

Posted by: DC Attorney ()
Date: July 14, 2017 08:55PM

It depends on what the judge orders. He is most likely free as he appeared for trial while on bail. I do not see any reason why the judge would rescind the bail. It is up to the prosecutor to decide whether they will try him again. They may not depending on if they find out what was preventing the jury from rendering a unanimous verdict (was it 11-1 in favor of conviction on 2nd degree murder, 7-5 in favor of involuntary manslaughter or 11-1 in favor of acquittal). The jurors may talk and they may not. Such information could assist the prosecutor whether to retry or not and whether to take a plea deal if the prosector decides whether to retry. Jurors are under no obligation to talk, so there might not be any information for either the prosecution or the defense to base their future decisions on.

Date: July 14, 2017 09:04PM

DC Attorney Wrote:
> It depends on what the judge orders. He is most
> likely free as he appeared for trial while on
> bail. I do not see any reason why the judge would
> rescind the bail. It is up to the prosecutor to
> decide whether they will try him again. They may
> not depending on if they find out what was
> preventing the jury from rendering a unanimous
> verdict (was it 11-1 in favor of conviction on 2nd
> degree murder, 7-5 in favor of involuntary
> manslaughter or 11-1 in favor of acquittal). The
> jurors may talk and they may not. Such
> information could assist the prosecutor whether to
> retry or not and whether to take a plea deal if
> the prosector decides whether to retry. Jurors
> are under no obligation to talk, so there might
> not be any information for either the prosecution
> or the defense to base their future decisions on.

The Commenwealths Attorney can retry the case but in this case very doughtful! Police negligence, terrible Manager in Zane Stivers. Kempton was viciously attacked and on video. I don't think Ray Morrogh is going to retry this self defense case. Time to heal and move on and learn from this. Good job Peter.

Posted by: just an observer ()
Date: July 14, 2017 09:35PM

A mistrial is just ridiculous. How can the jury not clearly see that Bonds defended himself when Johns attacked him? You can hear in the video her friends trying to tell her not to go after him but she does anyway. He is not the belligerent one, they were the being belligerent, despite being older. All I can guess is that at least one juror must be pissed off at the other high profile killings of unarmed black men. Those cases are horrible examples of injustice and excessive police force and police reacting to stereotypes. But this is TOTALLY different! This is not about race, or police or stereotypes. But I bet one person on the jury is being a total asshole and trying to use this case to compensate for other injustices. And that is a huge injustice by itself.

I pray my tax dollars do no get spent retrying this case which is clearly self defense.

Posted by: i have a question ()
Date: July 14, 2017 09:54PM

just an observer Wrote:
> A mistrial is just ridiculous. How can the jury
> not clearly see that Bonds defended himself when
> Johns attacked him? You can hear in the video her
> friends trying to tell her not to go after him but
> she does anyway. He is not the belligerent one,
> they were the being belligerent, despite being
> older. All I can guess is that at least one juror
> must be pissed off at the other high profile
> killings of unarmed black men. Those cases are
> horrible examples of injustice and excessive
> police force and police reacting to stereotypes.
> But this is TOTALLY different! This is not about
> race, or police or stereotypes. But I bet one
> person on the jury is being a total asshole and
> trying to use this case to compensate for other
> injustices. And that is a huge injustice by
> itself.
>
> I pray my tax dollars do no get spent retrying
> this case which is clearly self defense.

Isn't this awfully quick for a mistrial? Doesn't the judge usually send them back and tell them to try again?

Posted by: I agree there ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:19PM

I don't think they deliberated more than a couple of hours. I always thought the judge would ask them to keep trying.

Posted by: my bet ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:25PM

I agree there Wrote:
> I don't think they deliberated more than a couple
> of hours. I always thought the judge would ask
> them to keep trying.

One of the reports said the jurors were not talking to each other. I'm betting that there was a serious conflict on the jury. Maybe, heated exchanges.

Date: July 14, 2017 10:28PM

i have a question Wrote:
> just an observer Wrote:
> -----
> > A mistrial is just ridiculous. How can the
> jury
> > not clearly see that Bonds defended himself
> when
> > Johns attacked him? You can hear in the video
> her
> > friends trying to tell her not to go after him
> but
> > she does anyway. He is not the belligerent
> one,
> > they were the being belligerent, despite being
> > older. All I can guess is that at least one
> juror
> > must be pissed off at the other high profile
> > killings of unarmed black men. Those cases are
> > horrible examples of injustice and excessive
> > police force and police reacting to stereotypes.
>
> > But this is TOTALLY different! This is not
> about
> > race, or police or stereotypes. But I bet one
> > person on the jury is being a total asshole and
> > trying to use this case to compensate for other
> > injustices. And that is a huge injustice by
> > itself.
> >
> > I pray my tax dollars do no get spent retrying
> > this case which is clearly self defense.
>
> Isn't this awfully quick for a mistrial? Doesn't
> the judge usually send them back and tell them to
> try again?

It is very odd. My guess is that 10 or 11 jurors were for not guilty of all charges. While 1 or 2, probably woman, wanted some punishment. Woman don't realize self defense with a knife is legal as long as the blade is 4 inches or less. These 2 were just too much for the other jurors and the judge realized this wasn't going to become unanimous. No retrial in my opinion. I hope we find out what happened with the jury. I feel strongly about my opinion. Once again, tragic loss of life, but it was justfied. Terrible set of circumstances for Kempton all night long. He should be fine now and get back to living a normal free and productive life. Zane Stivers and the police, you did wrong! I hope you have been disciplined in some way.

Posted by: Atty6969??? ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:33PM

I never heard that about a 4 inch knife, do you have a link?

Posted by: Report? ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:33PM

my bet Wrote:
> I agree there Wrote:
> -----
> > I don't think they deliberated more than a
> couple
> > of hours. I always thought the judge would ask
> > them to keep trying.
>
> One of the reports said the jurors were not
> talking to each other. I'm betting that there was
> a serious conflict on the jury. Maybe, heated
> exchanges.

What report? Can you tell us where you heard this please?

Date: July 14, 2017 10:34PM

I agree there Wrote:
> I don't think they deliberated more than a couple
> of hours. I always thought the judge would ask
> them to keep trying.

News channel 8 said that there was 6 and 1/2 hour of deliberations.

They also said that prosecutor and defense attorney will meet to August to set a date for the retrial. Maybe that's true, but I'm guessing that the reporter might be misinterpreting the proposed meeting. While prosecutor may end up proposing retrial dates, it's also possible that the prosecutor will decide that retrial is not appropriate. The point is that the prosecutor may want to carefully consider his options before committing to a retrial.

==========
==========

Posted by: i agree there ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:39PM

Dog Walker1 Wrote:
> Stories about the mistrial:
>
> http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Kempton-Bo
> nds-Murder-Trial-Deliberations-434552053.html
>
> http://wjla.com/news/local/jury-weighs-murder-v-se
> lf-defense-in-caterer-case

Here are the links to the reports. I think it was wjla that said jurors were not talking to each other.

Must have been pretty firm. My guess is it might have been a racial division.

Date: July 14, 2017 10:44PM

i agree there Wrote:
> Dog Walker1 Wrote:
> -----
> > Stories about the mistrial:
> >
> >
> http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Kempton-Bo
>
> > nds-Murder-Trial-Deliberations-434552053.html
> >
> >
> http://wjla.com/news/local/jury-weighs-murder-v-se
>
> > lf-defense-in-caterer-case
>
> Here are the links to the reports. I think it was
> wjla that said jurors were not talking to each
> other.
>
> Must have been pretty firm. My guess is it might
> have been a racial division.

I saw the jury. They are all white. I was in the courtroom. Even mix of men and women. Age range from mid to upper 20s to about 70. There were 2 ladies who looked around 70. Two women looked around 20ish to 30ish. 2 40ish men 2 50ish.

Date: July 14, 2017 10:48PM

How was this case not about race? Only racial animus could explain why the kid was trying to murder someone at the wedding. What other motive could the Commonwealth present to support the charge? The blacks all claimed he was racist. Watch the video Tragedy of Tyonne Johns on youtube. On it one of them even claimed the doctor treating the victim was racist and she may have died because of that.

The bride who testified was on the cell phone audio implying her husband would track the kid down later at Bull Run Park where he fished a lot. So not only did the purported victim announce she would assault the kid and need to be bailed out, but the other State's witnesses were threatening him as well, all prior to the moment of truth.

The jury must have had someone real retards on it.

If the Commonwealth continues to press this bullshit murder rap, Morrogh must go!!

Posted by: Stui ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:51PM

Dog Walker1 Wrote:
> I agree there Wrote:
> -----
> > I don't think they deliberated more than a
> couple
> > of hours. I always thought the judge would ask
> > them to keep trying.
>
> News channel 8 said that there was 6 and 1/2 hour
> of deliberations.
>
> They also said that prosecutor and defense
> attorney will meet to August to set a date for the
> retrial. Maybe that's true, but I'm guessing that
> the reporter might be misinterpreting the proposed
> meeting. While prosecutor may end up proposing
> retrial dates, it's also possible that the
> prosecutor will decide that retrial is not
> appropriate. The point is that the prosecutor may
> want to carefully consider his options before
> committing to a retrial.

What prosecutor? Ray Morrogh is the Commenwealth Attorney. Ray and Greenspun will meet and realize this is a clear case of self defense and there was gross negligence of police and Zane Stivers. Ray and Peter will ultimately conclude that this case will be thrown out.

Posted by: Good points ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:57PM

Greta Van Toobin Wrote:
> How was this case not about race? Only racial
> animus could explain why the kid was trying to
> murder someone at the wedding. What other motive
> could the Commonwealth present to support the
> charge? The blacks all claimed he was racist.
> Watch the video Tragedy of Tyonne Johns on
> youtube. On it one of them even claimed the
> doctor treating the victim was racist and she may
> have died because of that.
>
> The bride who testified was on the cell phone
> audio implying her husband would track the kid
> down later at Bull Run Park where he fished a lot.
> So not only did the purported victim announce she
> would assault the kid and need to be bailed out,
> but the other State's witnesses were threatening
> him as well, all prior to the moment of truth.
>
> The jury must have had someone real retards on it.
>
>
> If the Commonwealth continues to press this
> bullshit murder rap, Morrogh must go!!

Excellent points! However let's give Ray Morrogh the benefit of the doubt here. He had to try this thing because there was a death from a knife wound. I am sure he will do the right thing here. He has always done right in the past. Case will be thrown in the ocean!

Posted by: Channel 4 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 11:03PM

Now on

Posted by: Harry N ()
Date: July 14, 2017 11:22PM

Good points Wrote:
> Greta Van Toobin Wrote:
> -----
> > How was this case not about race? Only racial
> > animus could explain why the kid was trying to
> > murder someone at the wedding. What other
> motive
> > could the Commonwealth present to support the
> > charge? The blacks all claimed he was racist.
> > Watch the video Tragedy of Tyonne Johns on
> > youtube. On it one of them even claimed the
> > doctor treating the victim was racist and she
> may
> > have died because of that.
> >
> > The bride who testified was on the cell phone
> > audio implying her husband would track the kid
> > down later at Bull Run Park where he fished a
> lot.
> > So not only did the purported victim announce
> she
> > would assault the kid and need to be bailed
> out,
> > but the other State's witnesses were
> threatening
> > him as well, all prior to the moment of truth.
> >
> > The jury must have had someone real retards on
> it.
> >
> >
> > If the Commonwealth continues to press this
> > bullshit murder rap, Morrogh must go!!
>
> Excellent points! However let's give Ray Morrogh
> the benefit of the doubt here. He had to try this
> thing because there was a death from a knife
> wound. I am sure he will do the right thing here.
> He has always done right in the past. Case will be
> thrown in the ocean!

Needs to be thrown out! He was being strangled by a conficted felon whom had served several years in State Prison for assault and grand larcony. Check the Hopewell Circuit Court website. She was a violent person with prison experience. Kempton was left for dead by Zane Stivers and the police. Ray Morrogh and Greenspun will do the right thing. Completely innocent without a doubt.

Posted by: Falls Church Avenger ()
Date: July 14, 2017 11:22PM

This is a bad case for the prosecutor. If the state is smart, they get Bonds to plea down to a misdemeanor assault charge with time-served and end it at that.

Date: July 14, 2017 11:35PM

Atty 6969 Wrote, in part:

> . . . . Woman
> don't realize self defense with a knife is legal
> as long as the blade is 4 inches or less.

Without regard to what women know, I'm sure that, in Virginia, the legality of self defense does not depend on the length of a blade.

Suppose that I'm out in the woods and openly wearing a 4 1/2 inch hunting knife on my belt. Boris Badenov shouts that he will kill me and charges me with his 3 1/2 inch knife. I can legally defend myself with my 4 1/2 inch hunting knife. Indeed, I can defend myself with a machete, a Samurai sword, or any length of bladed weapon.

Are you referring to the maximum blade length that one is allowed to carry concealed?

I can legally carry a 2 inch blade folding knife in my pocket. Even though the knife is concealed, its blade is not long enough to be considered a concealed weapon in VA.

On the other hand, if I walk around with a 4 1/2 inch bladed knife concealed on my person, this is considered an illegal carrying of a concealed weapon in VA, a felony.

Note that a VA concealed handgun permit (CHP) does NOT authorize the holder to concealed carry a knife. Therefore, regardless of possessing a CHP, carrying a concealed knife with a blade length long enough to be considered a weapon is a felony.

I had thought that the cut-off in blade length to carry concealed legally was 3 1/2 inches. I never cared enough to look it up b/c I didn't carry a knife, except a small Swiss army knife.

Are you saying that a blade of 4 inches or more makes a knife illegal to carry concealed in VA, but under 4 inches is legal to carry concealed?

==========
==========

Posted by: Virginia knife law ()
Date: July 15, 2017 12:08AM

Pocket knife less than 3 inches is legal. Do his was 3 inches which is the border which is OK. Concealed knife was never an issue because his knife was legal.

Date: July 15, 2017 12:27AM

Virginia knife law Wrote:
> Pocket knife less than 3 inches is legal. Do his
> was 3 inches which is the border which is OK.
> Concealed knife was never an issue because his
> knife was legal.

Yeah, I misremembered. You're right. I think that it is 3 inches in VA.

One news report had it that the knife was made by the defendant's father for the kid and that the defendant's father died a couple years ago.

==========
==========

Posted by: If new trial ()
Date: July 15, 2017 12:49AM

I would recommend trial by Judge rather than jury. This way it will focus on the law and not about some scared spineless old woman who wanted this young man to go to prison. Judge will be better in my opinion. What do you think?

Posted by: Don't take the chairs ()
Date: July 15, 2017 05:36AM

Did the groom testify at the trial?

His statements on the Youtube video totally contradictory from the cell phone video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqDEEwkjWiw

Posted by: Tyonne Johns last words ()
Date: July 15, 2017 05:53AM

"I will smack you, cause I got bail money! I'll fuck you up!"

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: July 15, 2017 07:28AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2017 07:02PM by chuckhoffmann.

Date: July 15, 2017 08:24AM

Tyonne Johns last words Wrote:
> "I will smack you, cause I got bail money! I'll
> fuck you up!"

"i'm going to fuck you up" suddenly cell phone starts shaking "Little boy! Little boy!" scuffling stops "Oh you stabbed me"

Kid starts yelling get the fuck away from me! Police!

Clearly the kid was using self defense and felt threatened and felt justified in using the pocket knife. Entirely reasonable. Not guilty.

Johns was much bulkier than Bonds. She was a bruiser, a bull dyke. Yo can hear her taunting him as she throttled him "little boy! little boy!"

Morrogh will never live this down if this kid gets convicted. I suspected he tried this case because the lesbian church leader probably submitted some petition or something. But Morrogh's office is miscalculating here, I believe.

Posted by: channel 7 ()
Date: July 15, 2017 08:27AM

The report last night on Channel 7 was very one-sided. Did not mention the video which cast doubt on the story told by the wedding guests.

Had statement from the preacher who has been supporting family.

Posted by: No Gravy ()
Date: July 15, 2017 11:37AM

How was this case not about race? Only racial animus could explain why the kid was trying to murder someone at the wedding. What other motive could the Commonwealth present to support the charge? The blacks all claimed he was racist. Watch the video Tragedy of Tyonne Johns on youtube. On it one of them even claimed the doctor treating the victim was racist and she may have died because of that.

======
LOL. Kempton is 1/4 black and 1/4 American Indian. I don't think the race card plays here. Can't speak to the charge about the doctor but I highly doubt that.

Posted by: reasonable doubt ()
Date: July 15, 2017 12:13PM

No Gravy Wrote:
> How was this case not about race? Only racial
> animus could explain why the kid was trying to
> murder someone at the wedding. What other motive
> could the Commonwealth present to support the
> charge? The blacks all claimed he was racist.
> Watch the video Tragedy of Tyonne Johns on
> youtube. On it one of them even claimed the doctor
> treating the victim was racist and she may have
> died because of that.
>
> ======
> LOL. Kempton is 1/4 black and 1/4 American
> Indian. I don't think the race card plays here.
> Can't speak to the charge about the doctor but I
> highly doubt that.

And, the stories that the witnesses initially told police did not match the video.

The kid had called the police and his boss for help earlier. Could they not see there was a problem? The kid had been given responsibility for taking care of the place, the contract had been signed, but they chose to bully him.

Should he have stabbed her? I was not there. She certainly can be heard threatening him on the video. That is enough for reasonable doubt.

Pages: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.