HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
are all safeway employees on drugs
Posted by: adventist ()
Date: August 25, 2016 11:19AM

does anyone know of a grocery store where i dont have to shop around obvious junkies. i know some of them are trying to get their lives in order but how many niggers on drugs is safeway hiring. im pretty sure from the trackmarks on the register girl and her lack of teeth that the safeway in burke has an obviously high standard for employment. i went to complain to customer service person about the awful clerks they have in the burke safeway and then i realized shes either special needs or on meth. her breath was unbearable. if this is how their employees are i wonder about the food.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: are all safeway employees on drugs
Posted by: Yawn ()
Date: August 25, 2016 11:48AM

Who goes to the register anymore? Self checking is way faster and more efficient and the only breath you smell is your own.

Posted by: American Freedoms ()
Date: August 25, 2016 12:38PM

Check out clerks have always been the dregs of society. This is America. Take your dollars some other place. Problem solve.

Posted by: Liberal Medias Fault ()
Date: August 25, 2016 12:40PM

Yawn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who goes to the register anymore? Self checking is
> way faster and more efficient and the only breath
> you smell is your own.

I use to hate the self checkout, now I'd rather use self checkout than deal some clerk.

The less human interaction I have, the better I feel.

Posted by: Jimmy Taco ()
Date: August 25, 2016 01:03PM

Better working at Safeway than on the street committing crimes! You can always pick a different line or store : )

Posted by: Jimmy Taco ()
Date: August 25, 2016 01:04PM

strike up a conversation with them, you might get some good contacts to buy some really GOOD SHIT!

Posted by: McLean Safeway ()
Date: August 25, 2016 01:16PM

McLean Safeway removed the self-check out option. Anyone other locations remove theirs? Someone told me they lost $100K last year in I'm guessing theft and probably maintaining/repairing the things. Don't know what genius thought people would honestly check out their purchase and buy a butt load of organic and ring it up as regular produce. The person who is supposed to be watching was often absent and does not check receipts or the cart. They should have had that person there at all times, put up some stickers that say you are being watched and produce would need an authorization code. How hard would it be for one person to just vet 6 people?

So once they removed the self-check out they got a new system. At midnight the line was down the aisle and the dude FINALLY called for assistance after looking around like "I do'nnu where anyone be." Looks like they've hired some real winners lately as well. Not sure what you can expect though from someone working at Safeway. There are a couple good ones-- one young kid probably 19 years old practically picks up all the slack and already had me approved for my booze as he knows I'm a regular shopper. He actually thinks about how to make his life easier. Problem is if you don't look around and think for 2 seconds about the ebb and flow you cause conflict for yourself. Seems they are probably very understaffed and initiative is not something you will find in the zombies.

This Safeway used to be decent, carrying a lot of alternative products and the produce wasn't bad. I lived in Fairfax and that one was AWFUL at the circle. Expired food, etc. Recently though the McLean location has gotten rid certain brands and the produce is in the shitter. They really just need to heavily discount that crap when it goes bad--the ginger I got went rotten the day after i bought it. Unfortunately there isn't enough demand for produce among Safeway shoppers and prices are outrageous. Finding it's cheaper or comparable in price at the Farmer's Market.

The power went out about 2 months ago and Safeway had no refrigeration for 2-3 days and you could really get a sense for the stank that is masked by the cold air that regularly runs through there. They were putting bags of ice in the freezers. Something about the generator not working etc. The emergency power was on so you could buy some items and still use the self checkout. The Lost Dog Cafe was up and running by the morning of the storm. Lord knows if they removed the products or what happened with refrigeration but I didn't buy any perishables for a couple weeks.

Posted by: Fairfaxres2 ()
Date: August 25, 2016 01:59PM

Complain about any store in NoVa but GIANT is still the best.

Prices may be somewhat higher, I don't care, you buy cheap you get cheap.

Self checkout or with register employees.

Produce is excellent as well as all other food. They hold up their reputation.

Posted by: p3u4Y ()
Date: August 25, 2016 03:15PM

How about this guy?
Attachments:
Capture.JPG

Posted by: Most are hell holes now ()
Date: August 25, 2016 03:41PM

Fairfaxres2 Wrote:
> Complain about any store in NoVa but GIANT is
> still the best.
>
> Prices may be somewhat higher, I don't care, you
> buy cheap you get cheap.
>
> Self checkout or with register employees.
>
> Produce is excellent as well as all other food.
> They hold up their reputation.

I guess you haven't been to a Giant in awhile

Posted by: Meat Man ()
Date: August 25, 2016 04:02PM

I work at Safeway. I can't control my need to have my meat meet your meat. It happens in the butcher shop. It is very sensual. I know that you do not ask for creamy brisket but you must admit, the extra protein and flavor that you did not pay for is a great bonus.

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: August 25, 2016 04:19PM

I went to the Safeway in Annandale for the first time in ages -- first time in a Safeway in a long time -- (there was good sale on paper towels).

Anyway, they had removed the self check out stations. That wasn't very surprising given the surrounding apartments and the residents thereof...

Posted by: bn ()
Date: August 25, 2016 04:38PM

Please provide address for said Safeway and let us know whether any of those junkies are female and decently attractive.

adventist Wrote:
> does anyone know of a grocery store where i dont
> have to shop around obvious junkies. i know some
> of them are trying to get their lives in order but
> how many niggers on drugs is safeway hiring. im
> pretty sure from the trackmarks on the register
> girl and her lack of teeth that the safeway in
> burke has an obviously high standard for
> employment. i went to complain to customer service
> person about the awful clerks they have in the
> burke safeway and then i realized shes either
> special needs or on meth. her breath was
> unbearable. if this is how their employees are i
> wonder about the food.

Posted by: A. Carnegie ()
Date: August 25, 2016 08:45PM

All union-infested grocery stores suck. Union employees are the dregs of society, are lazy, overpaid, and have awful attitudes. Go to Wegmans - every employee there that I've interacted with has been pleasant and helpful.

Posted by: Right to work state ()
Date: August 25, 2016 08:51PM

A. Carnegie Wrote:
> All union-infested grocery stores suck. Union
> employees are the dregs of society, are lazy,
> overpaid, and have awful attitudes. Go to Wegmans
> - every employee there that I've interacted with
> has been pleasant and helpful.

You have no clue what you are talking about

Strong unions = strong middle class

Now go fuck your illegal house cleaner

Posted by: uj4XY ()
Date: August 25, 2016 08:56PM

The Fox Mill Giant is awesome.

The Safeways in Reston are run by Union employees, who have attitudes, and therefore, I say, Fuck Safeway!

Posted by: You get what you pay for ()
Date: August 25, 2016 09:08PM

It actually doesn't matter if ts a union store or not (va is a right to work state)
It has to do with pay.
Giant pays its employees very little, I'm guessing Safeway as well.
With low pay you get the bottom of the barrel in the labor force. Notice that many of these stores have very young, very old or non native employees or employees that just seem a little off.
As I understand it Giant doesn't drug test.....

There are some exceptions but generally the better paid employees are better employees. Crazy huh.

Posted by: Liar ()
Date: August 25, 2016 09:51PM

blanche Wrote:
> I went to the Safeway in Annandale for the first
> time in ages -- first time in a Safeway in a long
> time -- (there was good sale on paper towels).
>
> Anyway, they had removed the self check out
> stations. That wasn't very surprising given the
> surrounding apartments and the residents
> thereof...

The self check out is still there. Used it today.

That said, the Annandale Safeway really is the dregs...unfortunately, they're my closest grocery after the Giants closed in Fair City and Yorktown.

They don't keep things n stock, asshole employees..all the way to the manager.

Posted by: Yuck ()
Date: August 25, 2016 10:11PM

blanche Wrote:
> I went to the Safeway in Annandale for the first
> time in ages -- first time in a Safeway in a long
> time -- (there was good sale on paper towels).
>
> Anyway, they had removed the self check out
> stations. That wasn't very surprising given the
> surrounding apartments and the residents
> thereof...

The Safeway by the McDonald's in Annandale is terrible. Almost need manager approval to use the restroom and the workers act like they don't want you in the store. Never going back to that one. Other Safeways are expensive. Used to be a good store, not sure what happened.

Giant has the worse self check registers. They are slow, every purchase requires assistance, cashiers have attitude and rarely help you bag. The signs for the specials are confusing. Selection is good so I tolerate the registers.

Bring back Food Lion, they had the lowest prices and the checkout was wonderful. Bakery and deli were good and hassle free.

Posted by: Observant shopper ()
Date: August 26, 2016 07:01AM

The Giant where I live has the largest women employees that I've ever seen. It's like someone hand-picked them based on size alone. It kind of goes without saying, that the larger they are the lazier they seem to be. Most of them have bad attitudes, too!

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: August 26, 2016 07:18AM

For low prices Aldi is great but the problem there is that they don't have enough cashiers. I'm always behind someone with a huge cart full of stuff when I only have a few items...

They have interesting seasonal items there also.

Posted by: Aisle 4 ()
Date: August 26, 2016 07:29AM

Unions are a cancer that protect the lazy, surly, drunk, and incompetent, while lining the pockets of thug union reps and corrupt democrat politicians. If you work hard, you're sure to have a grievance filed against you. No wonder union shops like Safeway and Giant are such miserable places to shop.

Posted by: Fairfaxres2 ()
Date: August 26, 2016 09:47AM

Ok. I go to Giant about 4 times per week.
Employees are friendly, never had an attitude problem with any of them.
Bakery, produce, deli all very clean and friendly with high quality food.
Giant also hires challenged kids to help with bagging.
That is fantastic.

Go to Wegmans and most of the idiot shoppers will try to run you over with there shopping cart. Plus many eat off the food court and taste food with there fingers.

Posted by: Johnny Taco ()
Date: August 26, 2016 11:19AM

Hey man - better they are working and trying to do something productive then robbing your house. Besides, talk to them once in a while, you might make some good contacts for finding some good shit one day when you want to get high.

Otherwise, you can always shop somewhere else...

ole!

Posted by: Low pay = low moral ()
Date: August 27, 2016 03:14PM

Aisle 4 Wrote:
> Unions are a cancer that protect the lazy, surly,
> drunk, and incompetent, while lining the pockets
> of thug union reps and corrupt democrat
> politicians. If you work hard, you're sure to
> have a grievance filed against you. No wonder
> union shops like Safeway and Giant are such
> miserable places to shop.

Proof please
Let's see what you got on the Giant and Safeway unions

Are you a store manager by any chance?

Posted by: albertson ()
Date: August 27, 2016 10:46PM

Safeway 2 years ago were bought out by albertsons they don't give a rats ass about you or employees, they use to be professional and had all bases covered, now they have closed every department from in house maintenance to construction dept to human resources. Hell the refrigeration and cooking equipment barely works in any safeway just check the restrooms you wont come back please call the health department stores are trashed shop at your own risk

Posted by: Safeway shopper ()
Date: August 28, 2016 09:23AM

albertson Wrote:
> Safeway 2 years ago were bought out by albertsons
> they don't give a rats ass about you or employees,
> they use to be professional and had all bases
> covered, now they have closed every department
> from in house maintenance to construction dept to
> human resources. Hell the refrigeration and
> cooking equipment barely works in any safeway just
> check the restrooms you wont come back please
> call the health department stores are trashed
> shop at your own risk

Agree with this somewhat. Prices def went up when Albertsons took over, a lot of products removed from shelves, and removal of some cuts of meet (I can only find beef brisket if I go to a butcher or international grocery, for instance)

Posted by: Sense ()
Date: August 28, 2016 10:00PM

Makes sense. Safeway changed about 2 years ago. Deli section is questionable. Have tried to buy something for lunch while picking up items, nothing appetizing.

Posted by: phh6F ()
Date: August 29, 2016 04:44AM

I don't blame the grocery store workers for being surly.

You would be mad too if all you made was $8 per hour and they cut your hours down again, from 25 to 20 and threatening to cut it again....already making <$1,000 a month being cut down to <$500 a month, all because corporate wants more profits....so that means less staff in the store...which means a dirtier store...which means people won't shop there....which means less revenue....which means corporate has noticed profits are falling....so they cut more hours...and so it goes...and don't try to get a second job- safeway will switch your schedule around EVERY WEEK so it isn't consistent so one can't even PLAN to put a 2nd job's hours...they do shit like make you close one night then open the next day so you can't work in a second job then fire you if you miss ONE day of work (no sick leave either!)

I'd smoke weed too if i was a safeway cashier!!

- Dealing with stuck up rich entitled people all day complaining YOU charged them the 5 cents extra (not the store, oh no it was YOU SPECIFICALLY!),

- rich people not wanting to speak to "the help" (i.e. YOU),

- being on your feet all day,

-can't even take a piss or walk away from your station for 5 minutes without management down your back (yet the stock-people/ sales floor staff wander the store/disappear all day and they don't get disciplined! Only cashiers!) Ask for a break at 10? Your cover won't bother to show up until 1030- then the manager is bitching why you took your break so late when it wasn't your fault you couldn't leave until the other person got there!

-hot because the doors are constantly opening and closing, so the AC doesn't reach your station fully....

-dealing with the people who won't put their meat or veggies in bags so it's leaking all over the belt

-...people scamming trying to get stuff for free or insisting its not organic when it is to save a dollar....

-God help you if your register ends up being $0.20 short, they will FIRE you over that because you let the kid who was $.10 cents short of buying his milk walk plus you rounded a few pennies for change (change due: $.37 give them $.40 so they have all silver change and send them on their way quicker----fired!!)

-6pm time to go? if you have a line, WRONG you are stuck until the last customer has rang their things THEN wait for the manager to actually get to you, cut off your light, then take you to the back to count out your drawer. Actual time clocked out - 640pm. then they have the nerve to yell at you about Overtime when it is THEIR short staff/no call no shows that MADE you stay late!!

SO glad I am out of the retail industry! Stay in school kids! It's fine for a HS/College kid but past that unless you are mentally disabled you should not be pushing carts at 50! (I know life works in mysterious ways and there but for the grace of God....but seriously!)

Date: August 29, 2016 05:05AM

More "from the inside insights"...

1- Retail will hire all the WELFARE/EBT receiving people they can first (tax credit, ready to work!), then DISABLED/VETERANS (another tax credit! Which is why you see truly retarded people- not meant as an insult, I speak the truth here- working at safeway- they get a tax credit for them or else they would not hire them!) then non-english speaking people new here (they don't know better than to ask for more than minimum wage and can't speak english well enough to even try to negotiate!) and THEN if there is NO ONE ELSE available to hire- will they hire the american kid who lives right up the street. Because they know a) kid has a mom/dad who will tell the kid to ask for more money/has a lawyer on speeddial if Safeway fucks with their kid and b) safeway knows kids will quit on a dime to be with their friends friday night and would rather take the person fresh off the boat grateful to even HAVE a job so will tend to hire more "older" non english speaking workers just to have a warm body in the store.

2- turnover is so high in most retail places..... even if they had 5 people working to start the year and hired 5 more, it is likely 5 of the 10 will quit before the year is out!!

3- the most common reasons for retail workers leaving a job is either BAD MANAGEMENT or NOT LISTENING TO THE EMPLOYEES SCHEDULING NEEDS. If Pam got hired and said she can only work mornings, yet you keep scheduling Pam on night shifts knowing she can't work those hours, Pam will probably get frustrated and quit. Not to mention, Suzy (Pam's manager) loves to gossip about all her staff and Pam has heard stuff on her other coworkers which makes her wonder what is being said about her when she is not there. Also, management keeps dumping all the difficult tasks to Pam while Pam's coworkers get paid more AND do less work. So now Pam doesn't trust management and wants out. Even if the work itself was fine, if Pam doesn't trust Suzy it won't work out!!

4- most managers get promoted to get them "out of the way" of regular staff and their tasks (google "peter principle"). so "Suzy" (the manager) can't run a cash register or make sandwiches, but they promoted her because she is cute (true story, seen it in many a restaurant/retail establishment). so now she, not knowing ANYTHING about the ACTUAL daily tasks is set to manage Pam, who knows her job inside and out and is tired of being micromanaged by Suzy. One day, Pam calls off work out of spite and learns Suzy fucked the whole store up that day. But PAM gets yelled at upon her return for the mistakes. Even though it was SUZYS fault. Pam wasn't even THERE and gets blamed by managers for mistakes. Of course Pam, only making $8 an hour wants to leave. Suzy, making $45k/year can blame whoever she wants as she is the boss.

5- managers tend to have a "god" complex. Give them a little bit of power or let them hold that register key- all of a sudden they think they are the Kings and QUeens of safeway inc and can run over all the "little people" on their way to the top, not caring who's careers they fucked over to get there.

Date: August 29, 2016 05:11AM

To expound on my point 1) above---

Most people on welfare don't WANT a full time permanent job. They work JUST ENOUGH to make about 3-4 grand for the year (so there are taxes taken out of that check) then they QUIT and sit back and wait for the annual large tax returns to come back in April (getting 3,4,5k+ back with their kids and all).

This way, they get a bit of pocket cash for right now but don't work so much they lose their benefits (and they are smart too! Being $1 over that EBT or Medicaid limit makes ALL the difference if one needs the food stamps to eat or the medicaid to survive- so they know exactly how long to work for and NOT get cut off).

Work about 75 days (being there 90 would trigger a review), quit having made about $2k off your paychecks, sit back for the rest of the year, wait for 3k+ tax return in April, boom got paid ~20k in benefits( EBT, Housing, medical, etc) and only had to work 75 days out the year!!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.