HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Boycott the Chantilly Texas Roadhouse
Posted by: Phil ()
Date: September 12, 2006 10:38AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/11/AR2006091100964.html

*Begin Article*

Two Fairfax County officers lay mortally wounded in the parking lot of their Sully District police station. At the height of the crisis, anxious police cordoned off streets, closing down some businesses. The Texas Roadhouse restaurant just down the road had to shut its doors for a few hours that day in May and again on the next two Saturdays, when large crowds came out to honor the funeral processions for Detective Vicki Armel and Officer Michael Garbarino.

So what did the restaurant do in the police department's time of loss? Offer to cater the funerals? Set up a food donation schedule for the bereaved families? Nah. The Texas Roadhouse in Chantilly counted up the pennies it had lost -- a total of about $9,000, the manager computed -- and turned to the police department with a formal request for compensation.

The restaurant even put it in writing. From the letter to the police by manager Eric Rainwater in mid-June: "Although this is miniscule in comparison to two officers losing their lives, it did have a major financial impact on our store." Rainwater asked the police to dismiss $5,000 in fines that the restaurant had accumulated because its alarm system had repeatedly malfunctioned, summoning police for no reason.

"Any help you could give would be much appreciated," Rainwater wrote.

The dictionary provides various definitions for "chutzpah," such as effrontery, unbelievable gall and utter nerve. None of these words comes close to describing what happened here.

A remarkably restrained Capt. Susan Culin, commander of the Sully station, wrote a memo to her officers a couple of weeks ago "just to make you aware of the situation." She said the business's request was "in extremely poor taste" and added that "while we all have to make our own choices, I personally will never give the restaurant my business, or my family's business, again."

Culin, it goes without saying, told the department's False Alarm Reduction Unit to instruct Texas Roadhouse to pay its fines.

Culin had called the restaurant's corporate headquarters in Kentucky and noted that this mad display of selfishness came as other area businesses were staging fundraisers for the fallen officers' families. For three weeks, Culin heard nothing back.

Finally, over the past couple of weeks, Texas Roadhouse has gotten the message and done all it can to make things right.

"We certainly can't defend that letter in the least," corporate spokesman Travis Doster told me. It took a couple of months for the parent office to set things straight because "we're a very decentralized company" and there was "miscommunication" between the main office and the restaurant's Virginia operation. "This is just one we totally, totally regret."

Doster told me that Rainwater "has been disciplined, believe me. Rest assured it was fairly severe." But Doster wouldn't say how the manager was sanctioned, and the chain's Virginia managers wouldn't let me talk to Rainwater.

Texas Roadhouse's chief executive, the son of a retired Virginia police officer, called Culin to apologize and sent a letter as well. And the company has made a donation to a trust fund for the families of the Fairfax officers. "Time will hopefully heal the wounds," Doster said.

But although Fairfax police spokesman Mary Ann Jennings says the department has accepted the apology and the company "acted very graciously" once its top officials got involved, the gall of the original request continues to send waves of revulsion through the ranks of police everywhere. Cops are a tight brotherhood, and the Internet has enabled officers to lean on the electronic shoulders of comrades across the continent, so police chat boards are still buzzing about the restaurant's behavior. Doster says Texas Roadhouse is still hearing from officers venting their anger.

"We're hearing from people who want to boycott, and I've talked to a number of these guys on the phone and I gave them the facts," Doster said. "To a man, they're saying 'Okay, that's what I need to know.' "

So the company may now be digging its way out of a pretty deep hole. But why did this happen? What could possibly drive a person to be so callous, so deeply selfish and greedy?

"Only Eric knows himself," Doster said. "Just frustrations with his alarms or whatever."

Or a blindness to others that we see all too often these days, even in businesses that rise or fall on customer satisfaction. A newsletter that advises corporations on crisis management dubbed the Texas Roadhouse incident a "case study in how to do it completely wrong." But think about the people you know and how they respond when they think they have been cheated -- think of the nasty e-mails they dash off, the angry calls, the righteous demands for compensation. Is what happened here really so inconceivable, so far from the kind of behavior we've come to accept in our daily lives?

*End Article*

In three simple words: What the fuck?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Boycott the Chantilly Texas Roadhouse
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 12, 2006 11:16AM

Surely it was in poor taste but it seems like the idiot manager was disciplined. That restaurant employs a lot of teens/young adults and the service has always been great there and a boycott would only hurt them. though I find the request really offensive, the company has apologized... I'm not sure what punishing the store with a boycott would accomplish.

I eat there once or twice a month... I'll write today to the corporate office and tell them I'll be taking a 90-day time-out to express my dissatisfaction with that move. I'll also suggest that the corporate donate $9000 to the memorial funds of the officers.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: September 12, 2006 11:34AM

It sounds like the manager was the one who single handedly tried to get the police to make up the money for lost business. He has been disciplined and they are now in good graces of the police department. I personally would not boycott the restaurant but if I ever met that Eric guy, I would state how I feel. Also if it is a chain, they can deduct the lost revenue off in their taxes.

trickie

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: September 12, 2006 12:25PM

First of all, I believe that the orginal post is a bit misleading. While the Chantilly Road House did not cater the funerals (which I think is a completely ridiculous thing to suggest considering the size) they did send food to the Command Post. In addition, I am not sure the post makes it completely clear that they requested a waiver for their fines and not $9,000 compensation.

In any case, I still think that the letter was both terrible and stupid. It seems that police are never more united than when a fellow officer dies during duty. To reduce the officers' deaths to a money matter was really to insult the entire "brotherhood" of the police during a very sensitive time. An emotionally charged response was the natural result.

However, despite disagreeing with the manager's actions I won't boycott Texas Roadhouse (as long as they stop trying to seat me at the bar).

Posted by: lawman ()
Date: September 12, 2006 12:30PM

The cordoned off streets, closing down of some businesses and road closures(RT28) for the funeral processions could of been handled better by the FFX Police. That is probably what the manager is bitching about.

Closing RT28 was a mess. Was it really necessary to close the whole highway??? I've seen plenty of funeral processions that didn't include completely closing roads. I witnessed several uninformed motorists vent their rage by yelling and squealing their tires as they backed up on ramps at a high rate of speed. They obviously didn't understand what was going on. One guy had New York tags.

I got the impression that the funeral processions were more of a “in your face” or “County residents will have to pay respect because we are going to grid lock the Sully section of the county.”

I guess I can take comfort in the fact that the police were very inexperienced in funerals for a good reason. Hopefully the County will not have to experience that again.

As for the big crowds, I saw maybe 10-20 people on one or two overpasses with some fire trucks and flags.

Date: September 12, 2006 01:32PM

Genevieve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In addition, I am not sure the post makes it
> completely clear that they requested a waiver for
> their fines and not $9,000 compensation.

Stories are differing on this point... another article/post said the place lost over $5000 in sales the night of the shooting and $4000 in sales between the two funeral processions. So the $9000 was a "lost business" number.

I don't know the manager but I'm guessing this was a pissing contest thing. The manager did a few things for the cops and for his troubles they turned around and fined him five grand for a couple of false alarms. The station is a twenty second police car drive from the restaurant so the manager was probably trying to make a point or something. Something like "fine, I'll charge you for your wasted time but I'm charging you for mine too." The owner of the company is the son of a cop and does things for the Louisville police all the time and apparently made a personal donation to the officers' memorial funds as a part of his apology.

Apparently someone within FCPD is still not satisfied and is trying to draw the Post in. I'm not sure what else is to be gained from it. Unless of course FCPD takes an idea from Alexandria police and starts blowing away people leaving the parking lot in SUVs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2006 01:33PM by pgens.

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: September 12, 2006 02:29PM

It wasn't a couple of alarms.....It takes many false alarms in a year's time to add up to $5000.00. Sounds like he should have had the alarm company repair the alarm system or find someone smart enough to activate/deactivate it.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: September 12, 2006 03:02PM

the shooting in alexandria was justified..try explaining the shooting involving FCPD and an unarmed suspect..

Posted by: JudgeCain ()
Date: September 12, 2006 03:21PM

Well I checked this out at http://www.texasroadhouse.com/newsites/index.php?rid=327 and you can see a picture of Eric Rainwater. Now I don't really need to know the facts in this case... I can just look at his picture and tell he's guilty of something!

I could save the county a lot of in court costs, just hand me a pictures of the accused and tell me the charge, wham bam thank you, guilty\not guilty in five seconds!

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 12, 2006 05:41PM

I don't see what people are so angry about. The store lost money and it was the cop's fault b/c they closed the road. Do they honestly think that someone is going to try a copycat shooting when the cops are armed with M-16's? The letter specifically said "this is miniscule in comparison to two officers losing their lives" so the guy is not self centered.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 12, 2006 06:08PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> I don't see what people are so angry about. The
> store lost money and it was the cop's fault b/c
> they closed the road.

i have to agree that it's not the restaurant's fault for what happened. on a strictly business level, anyone who blocks access to a restaurant needs to compensate the restaurant. what the street was closed down for is not the issue in business terms. if you ask me, on the corporate level, they were just saving face, that's all. business is business, deal with it.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 12, 2006 06:10PM

I don't see what people are so angry about.

Agreed. I think it's definitely in poor taste for the manager to raise the issue, but the cops should just state that, and leave it at that. It's silly for the cops, or for anyone, to "vent their anger" at the restaurant- Texas Roadhouse aren't the ones responsible for the tragedy.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: September 12, 2006 08:13PM

That is a lot of alarm malfunctions. Why blame the cops because the place got so many. I am sure the cops could would rather be doing other things that answering one false alarm after another.

As far as the traffic jams for the funeral I can put up with it for a few hours on one day, I put up with so many other traffic problems. Besides you have to remember the cops that were killed and how they were only trying to finish another day at their job.

Date: September 12, 2006 08:34PM

Another thing to consider is that the other thirty businesses in the area didn't send bills for lost business, at least that we know of.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: September 12, 2006 08:41PM

lol

I hate the police on one hand, but the Texas Roadhouse there has awful service. I've been to TR's all over the midwest and this one is truly crap compared to those.

Also, I have to wonder if their situation would be better or worse without the police station there at all..

Although I am more likely to give the place another go if the cops are PROMISING not to eat there anymore... do I have a promise?

And one last thing. You have to wonder how fast the cops will respond to his inevitable future alarm problems. Sounds like he could make some easy money from a lawsuit if he's robbed, just by showing all this disdain quoted from the cops. He could use that to prove they reduced response. They would have been better off shutting up, but as per offical policy, the cops here in fairfax instead could not wait to get that PR bullshit out.

Posted by: Dan O. ()
Date: September 12, 2006 08:42PM

Now would be a good time to rob the place.

Date: September 12, 2006 08:49PM

The fact that restonpeace eats there should tell you something. Now I have a really good reason not to eat there at all.

Date: September 12, 2006 09:07PM

ouch, what a stinging rebuke. I don't know how I will recover from incurring Tim's wrath.

Date: September 12, 2006 09:10PM

Now I have a really good reason not to eat there at all.

Never been to the NoVA location, but I have eaten at Texas Roadhouses in PA. It's pretty good, I like it, they have that nice 20 oz. porterhouse. It's one of the few chain restaurants that has managers that are trained and knowledgeable in gluten-free food preparation, which is great when you need to dine out with people with gluten allergies (there aren't many places they can trust to eat in).

I'd still go there no matter what that manager did. I have a bigger problem with that stupidass cowboy hat he wears, but oh well.

Posted by: The Economist ()
Date: September 12, 2006 10:00PM

That guy does not owe shit to the police. Infact I think the police should go fuck themselves. Since when should he even have to pay 5,000 in the first place? I thought we paid for the police with our tax dollars???

And I definitely agree that he lost 9,000 dollars, the fucking police shut down roads! Unfucking real. I mean, they don't shut down roads for boy scouts who get killed by cops.....where's the integrity?

Date: September 12, 2006 10:07PM

Tim45 Wrote:
> That is a lot of alarm malfunctions. Why blame the
> cops because the place got so many. I am sure the
> cops could would rather be doing other things that
> answering one false alarm after another.
>
> As far as the traffic jams for the funeral I can
> put up with it for a few hours on one day, I put
> up with so many other traffic problems. Besides
> you have to remember the cops that were killed and
> how they were only trying to finish another day at
> their job.

Ya, eating donuts and drinking coffee on the late night tip.....

Have to remember the cops who were killed? WTF? Why, alot of people get killed trying to finish another day at their job. Our soldiers get killed everyday left and right. Looking at HARDER WORKING DRUG DEALERS ALONE, it's fair to say that for every ten of these guys who dies on the job (hey it's risky business), only one cop dies. How about construction workers who die in accidents? And deep sea fishermen?

Date: September 12, 2006 10:08PM

The Economist Wrote:
> And I definitely agree that he lost 9,000 dollars,
> the fucking police shut down roads! Unfucking
> real. I mean, they don't shut down roads for boy
> scouts who get killed by cops.....where's the
> integrity?

I question that they lost that amount of money on the funeral dates. For those that don't know, they don't even open until 4p (or is it 3p?) on weekdays. What times were the funeral procession street closings?

I usually go around 4p, and there is rarely more than five tables occupied at that time. At around fifty bucks a table there is no $2,000 loss per funeral episode.

I still stand by my hunch that the manager was just trying to fuck with them because he thought he was being unfairly charged for the alarm system crap. Only because it is a tasteless yet devilishly appropriate way to do it that I would have thought of myself (but perhaps not implemented).

Date: September 12, 2006 10:17PM

I don't know about you but 50 bucks a table is a big understatement. If I go out on any given night I spend bare minimum 30-40 myself on food and drinks.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: September 12, 2006 10:44PM

I'm going to boycott the place. If the manager is that goddamn dumb I might get food poisoning.

Like it or not, the cops are like "our troops". If you don't "support" them, the majority of the public thinks something is wrong with you.

The guy's an idiot.

Date: September 12, 2006 11:19PM

Hahahahaha why? Cause he runs a business? How would you like it if through no fault of your own your company told you that you couldn't come in for a few days for work. And you lost money because of it.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: September 12, 2006 11:55PM

This may shed some light:

Sent: Fri 8/25/2006 2:56 PM
To: FCPD-Sully
Subject: Texas Roadhouse

I wanted to pass some information on to you concerning Texas Roadhouse as I know some of you eat there from time to time.

In mid-June the False Alarm Reduction Unit received a letter from our local Texas Roadhouse (just down from the station) appealing a number of false alarm fines. The restaurant apparently had a number of wiring issues and issues with the alarm company and had tripped numerous false alarms. All of these problems and accumulated fines occurred prior to May 8th.

In asking for the a waiver of the fines the letter pointed out that the restaurant had lost over $5000 in sales the night of our shooting and $4000 in sales during each funeral procession in the two weeks that followed. Although it's beside the point, I find this very hard to believe. As you all know the intersection was closed for about an hour during each funeral procession, in the middle of the afternoon, not the lunch or dinner rush. The letter went on to say that the restaurant had taken some food to the command post at the hotel and that they give our officers a discount when they eat in the restaurant (most I've asked said they paid full price). The letter wanted us to know the "major financial impact" our event had on their store, asking us to re-examine the false alarm fines.

Obviously I told the False Alarm Unit to instruct the restaurant to pay their fines. This letter really upset me for a number of reasons, least of all it was in extremely poor taste. Several days later I contacted the corporate office for Texas Roadhouse in Kentucky and relayed my concern. I emphasized that while other local businesses were holding fund raisers for our fallen officers their restaurant was looking to use the incident as an excuse not to pay their fines. Although each store is individually owned, the corporate office appeared very concerned and asked that I fax them a copy of the letter, which I did, and said that someone would be in touch with me soon. About a week later I got a phone message from the Managing Partner for the state of VA, who said he was going out of town for three days but would contact me when he returned. After not hearing anything for over three weeks, I contacted the corporate office again. They had the Managing Partner for VA call me again who apologized on the local restaurant's behalf, stating the owner should never have sent the letter, etc. To this day, I have never heard from the owner of the local store that wrote the letter, although the Managing Partner from VA claims to have spoken to him about the letter and relayed his apologies.

The reason I am passing this on to all of you is to just make you aware of the situation. While we all have to make our own choices, I personally will never give the restaurant my business, or my family's business, again.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Captain Susan Culin
Commander, Sully District Station
4900 Stonecroft Boulevard
Chantilly, VA 20151

Date: September 13, 2006 12:29AM

If Texas Roadhouse gave out discounts to the police without telling them (as I have witnessed before at another restaurant), simply presenting a bill for less money and then accepting the amount of money on the bill in tender, than they screwed themselves; why would the cops except complicity even if they did know what was going on? They gave away something to the cops without even a proveable wink and now they try to bring the police in as complicit? This guy may be so stupid he doesn't realize he basically accused the cops of accepting illegal price reductions and discounts.

Posted by: YourMom ()
Date: September 13, 2006 09:53AM

Fuck the police

Posted by: YourMom ()
Date: September 13, 2006 09:54AM

Fuck them up there stupid ass's

Date: September 13, 2006 10:55AM

The Economist Wrote:
> I don't know about you but 50 bucks a table is a
> big understatement. If I go out on any given night
> I spend bare minimum 30-40 myself on food and
> drinks.

I guess it depends on the table. At the times I'm talking there aren't a lot of drinks being consumed by the parents with their kids.

Date: September 13, 2006 11:02AM

Jester Wrote:
> This may shed some light:
>
> From: Culin, Susan
> Sent: Fri 8/25/2006 2:56 PM
> To: FCPD-Sully
> Subject: Texas Roadhouse

Hmm... after reading this it sounds like the FCPD decided to blow up someone's statement as opposed to the manager sending a bill, which is what the Post article indicated. It sounds like the manager said "look we all lose time and money due to unfortunate circumstances, can you cut me some slack" and the police decided to make a media event out of it. If the FCPD is a reliable source, then the Post writer lied... that isn't a formal request for compensation. I now wish I could take back the letter I sent their corporate office because it looks like a FCPD self-victimization stunt.

Date: September 13, 2006 11:10AM

Dan O. Wrote:
> Now would be a good time to rob the place.

lol!

Tim45 Wrote:
> That is a lot of alarm malfunctions. Why blame the
> cops because the place got so many. I am sure the
> cops could would rather be doing other things that
> answering one false alarm after another.

yeah... those donuts arent going to eat themselves.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: LMFAO ()
Date: September 13, 2006 12:17PM

Im so sick of people here complaining about the cops... go get a real job and stay outta trouble and you won't have any problems with area law enforcement. Or better yet, if you guys are so damn awesome, why don't you apply for a position here and deal with the citizens of this county. Maybe then you'd have a litte more respect for the job. Especially YOU, The Economist, what do you do for a living? Work at a Giant branch of Chevy Chase Bank. You are such an asshole.

Date: September 13, 2006 12:58PM

LMFAO Wrote:
> a bunch a crap that was totally lame

you know... for someone who's name is an acronym for Laugh My Fucking Ass Off, you dont seem to be laughing at all. you sound like a bitter POS who hasnt seen what the cops do when their oh so precious ego gets poked at. ill tell you want they do, they go from people who enforce the law looking down on people with a moral superiority complex and an ego the size of the state, to violent criminals that dont give a shit because they wont be held responsible for what they do.

just shut fuck up.

Date: September 13, 2006 03:22PM

Whats wrong with working at Chevy Chase Bank (besides the fact that they get robbed a lot)? The police suck, LMFAO, and if you think they dont, then call them at 8 am while the coffee is hot and the donuts are fresh. Then tell them you've got a hostage situation and a lot of other crap so they send swat team, etc. Sit on the couch with a deer hunter gun painted to look real. When they come and mace you and beat you up to "get you on the ground" Say your 5 year old son made a prank call and you were playing deer hunter.

Or go to a party with people drinking legaly and make a lot of noise and take pics with your cell phone...

And I think that the police are trying to fuck over the restaurant because it did not give them a discount. (when in acutality it did...they just were too stupid to see it)

Date: September 13, 2006 04:38PM

The false alarm charges are there for a reason. If the cops answered the alarms for free then people wouldnt care how often their alarms went off since each time it is a free check of their homes by the police.

For $5,000 to be charged to one place is unbelieveable. Even at 50 bucks a pop, or maybe even less, that is 100 times the police wasted their time.
If you complain it takes the police so long to respond to regular calls this is why, they are too busy at the Texas Roadhouse.

If the manager really wanted to write a letter he should have addressed it to his boss to try to get the alarm fixed. He had two choices get the alarm fixed or keep paying for the citiations. Seems like an easy choice to me.

As far as boycotting the restaurant, I wouldnt just for the fact the manager appears to have acted on his own. No sense taking it out on the restaurant owners or the other employees at the place. Remember the wait staff usually make a lot less than minimum wage, as the law allows, since they work on tips.

Date: September 13, 2006 04:44PM

LMFAO Wrote:
> Im so sick of people here complaining about the
> cops... go get a real job and stay outta trouble
> and you won't have any problems with area law
> enforcement. Or better yet, if you guys are so
> damn awesome, why don't you apply for a position
> here and deal with the citizens of this county.
> Maybe then you'd have a litte more respect for the
> job. Especially YOU, The Economist, what do you do
> for a living? Work at a Giant branch of Chevy
> Chase Bank. You are such an asshole.

I'm in sales you worthless scumbag. I do deal with citizens of this county every day. The reason why I won't work for you is because I have a heart. I do not get pleasure by ruining peoples days giving them traffic tickets. And lastly, I won't be a cop because my intelligence is way above and beyond you fools, I really am 'damn awesome'.

Posted by: Rob ()
Date: September 13, 2006 07:48PM

The Economist Wrote:
>
> I'm in sales you worthless scumbag.

Drug sales or male prostitution? Which is it?

Date: September 13, 2006 08:27PM

Maybe someone else can check this out again but when I went to the link on Judge Cains post to get to the texas roadhouse the managers picture is no longer there. Yesterday it was there.
I am guessing it was taken down for his safety or maybe he just got canned. Anyone know?

Date: September 13, 2006 09:17PM

Yeah, interesting his picture did get removed!

Date: September 13, 2006 09:25PM

i dont know the site... it would be nice if you posted it. however, you can use http://archive.org to get old pages as long as they are not privy to robots.txt

Date: September 13, 2006 09:28PM

The site link was at the top portion of the thread like I said in my post, but anyway here it is
http://www.texasroadhouse.com/newsites/index.php?rid=327

Date: September 13, 2006 09:45PM

archive.org didnt list him as staff (as of Oct 27, 2004) so he must have been hired within the last two years.

Date: September 13, 2006 10:05PM

Yeah, interesting his picture did get removed!

This is his picture from the TX Roadhouse website, I found it in my internet cache. His last name was "Rainwater", I forget the first name.
Attachments:
Rainwater.jpg

Date: September 13, 2006 10:19PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> His last name
> was "Rainwater", I forget the first name.

it says in the article his name is Eric Rainwater. interesting last name.

Date: September 13, 2006 10:26PM

Rainwater

How. Texas no givum wampum Chief Rainwater? No smokum peace pipe with you, Hooo boo boo boo boo!!

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: September 14, 2006 02:06AM

You guys do what you want, but they have crazy-tasty ribs, so I'm gonna keep eating there.

Posted by: m20120 ()
Date: September 14, 2006 03:09PM

This story has been floating around for a while. It was only a matter of time before someone in the press got wind of it and decided to check out the story.

I first read about it here:

http://www.bernsteincrisismanagement.com/nl/crisismgr060901.html

I live in the area, about a mile from the intersection of Westfields and Stonecroft. Everyone in the area was inconvenienced by the shooting and the aftermath. It took me over two hours to make my normal 20 minute commute home the night of the shooting. Should I have sent a bill to the FCPD to that extra tank of gas?!

Most local community and businesses in the area pulled together to support the police and the families of the dead. Several businesses in the area held fundraisers to support the families.

The manager (or managing partner, owner, depending on where you read) decided to try to use these events to get out of an unrelated fine that was incurred before any of these events. That is just sleazy.

Date: September 14, 2006 03:16PM

Sleazy, maybe, but hey its a buissness and buissnesses are supposed to make money. The cops are trying to slander/libel it so that they can take down a bussness they don't like. I am sure other people/companies would probably do the same, esp. if it was a lot bigger amount of money.

Date: September 14, 2006 04:27PM

Why would the cops want to take down the business? Before all this happened they were according to the letter getting discounts on meals.
A business is supposed to make money but they are also supposed to give something back to the community that gives them the business in the first place.

Ever hear of the Nationals and Redskins having a fan appreciation day?

Texas Roadhouse is a chain and could have absorbed the loss of an hours business especially after the lunch time. I wouldnt stop eating there if I liked it because of one guys stupid decision but I am sure they will now feel a loss looking at all the angry letters I have read. Had the main office of the business backed the letter then I wouldnt ever eat there but it appears they had no idea he had written it.

Date: September 14, 2006 04:51PM

Rainwater??? Frankly, that name sounds a little made up. I know some places do use fake names as "covers" for complaints and in telling people who they need to contact. I wonder if this guy is real.

Posted by: DirtyHarry ()
Date: September 14, 2006 06:59PM

I will not eat there again if this story checks out.Amazingly foolish from a public relations standpoint.That stunt was probably worth $5,000,000 in negative advertisement.IT WOULD have made more sense to sue the alarm company.If they can't fix the system,pull it out and go with a decent security service.False alarms are unnecessary with the equipment available in todays world.I once had problems with a security company that did a horrible design and installation job,once I switched to another company- The problem vanished.

Posted by: SAMMY Z ()
Date: September 14, 2006 09:09PM

The manager is an idiot,however what authorizes an county employee (in this case a police capt.) to call for a boycott ? If the restaurant's attorney writes a letter to the entire board of supervisors,the county attorney,and the chief of police, Capt. suzy Q will be the manager in trouble. County employees can't issue statements like she did. Another woman in over her head.

Date: September 14, 2006 09:11PM

I wonder how they could have had so many. Alarms are pretty easy stuff. The system responds to a break in the current and the keypad tells you where the break is. If the same one keeps going off over and over it sounds more like laziness on the restaurants part. If they are contracted with an alarm company to provide repairs as well as service he should have sent the letter to them.

Date: September 14, 2006 09:21PM

Not to beat the dead horse but after linking to M20120's posting, http://www.bernsteincrisismanagement.com/nl/crisismgr060901.html, I learned a bit more. Like how the company didnt return the police officials phone call for over three days.

As a last thought and I will shut up, just how much business could the restaurant have lost on the night of the actual shooting?

When it was thought there could have been more suspects running around do they really think dad would round up the family for a night out just across from a major incident like that?

Date: September 14, 2006 09:52PM

SAMMY Z Wrote:
> what authorizes an county employee (in this case a police capt.) to
> call for a boycott ? If the restaurant's attorney
> writes a letter to the entire board of
> supervisors,the county attorney,and the chief of
> police, Capt. suzy Q will be the manager in
> trouble. County employees can't issue statements
> like she did. Another woman in over her head.

Agreed.... I was thinking about that myself.

Posted by: Sammy z ()
Date: September 15, 2006 10:27PM

After reading the officer's letter on the bernstein web page,I have decided to write complaint letters to the county attorney,entire board of supervisors and the Attorney General of Va.
It is illegal for Public employees to call for a boycott under the Rico act,the owner of the restaurant should be suing the county and the Individual county employees involved.Oh and that indemnification clause in your contract that you cops think you can hide behind,it is worthless when you are sued in Federal court for civil or criminal violations under RICO.

Posted by: highlander ()
Date: September 15, 2006 10:42PM

Where in her email does she call for a boycott? She only stated she would not eat there again.....

Date: September 15, 2006 10:43PM

Sammy z Wrote:
> After reading the officer's letter on the
> bernstein web page,I have decided to write
> complaint letters to the county attorney,entire
> board of supervisors and the Attorney General of
> Va.
> It is illegal for Public employees to call for a
> boycott under the Rico act,the owner of the
> restaurant should be suing the county and the
> Individual county employees involved.Oh and that
> indemnification clause in your contract that you
> cops think you can hide behind,it is worthless
> when you are sued in Federal court for civil or
> criminal violations under RICO.

lol! it would be great to see that happen. too bad cops are completely immune to the law for any wrong-doing.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: September 15, 2006 11:02PM

RICO is federal, they dont give a second thought to busting local cops for violations.

Posted by: Jimbo ()
Date: September 26, 2006 10:03PM

I wonder if that cop lady is the same one that sells her panties on EBAY.You think?

Posted by: Katherine ()
Date: July 28, 2020 01:26PM

have they re-opened?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.