HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Moving to Fairfax soon, have some questions
Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: May 29, 2005 09:36PM

Alright, I'm about to graduate college in California and have a couple questions about the area. First off I will want to join a gym, and I assume there are some more frequented by hot women than others. I'm also looking into krav maga does anyone know anything about the locations around here that offer that or have any experience? Second, where are the good gun stores in the area? (California has the most repressive gun laws in the nation except perhaps for DC). I was thinking of going to the nations gun show at the Dulles Expo center. Thanks for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Moving to Fairfax soon, have some questions
Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: May 29, 2005 09:45PM

actually, most of the gyms around here are frequented by gay guys looking for action

Lots of good gun stores, for christsakes,

THE NRA IS HQ'D HERE

how would it look for us if you couldn't get a tek-9 while you're waiting for your lunch order to be ready

Anyway Cap Expo shows are usually fun, try out Blue Ridge Arsenal just down the way

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: May 29, 2005 11:08PM

Blue Ridge Arsenal! My friend works there. Their collection is amazing. website: http://www.blueridgearsenal.com/
And yeah the NRA is cool too, and they have a range in the basement.

Damnit, the Galyans in Fair Lakes HAD guns but ever since they were bought out by Dick's Sporting Goods they got rid of them. One of the leftover sales guys there gave me a card for "Furr Supply Co." Supposedly cheapest gun prices in the area, but I haven't personally checked them out yet. (703) 620-0441 if anyone is interested.

Krav Maga is taght at three schools in Fairfax County according to their website: http://www.kravmaga.com/virginia.asp TONS of Tae-Kwon-Doe places. I did Mt. Kim in Chantilly for years.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 30, 2005 10:23AM

rstidman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyway Cap Expo shows are usually fun, try out
> Blue Ridge Arsenal just down the way

Eh... I go to their range sometimes but all the employees there are moody, arrogant assholes. I always have to ask myself if it's worth the shorter drive to go there and deal with those people than drive to the NRA HQ range where it's slightly cheaper but usually more crowded.

No offense to your friend Cary... the ones I'm talking about are usually older, along with the redheaded lady that works there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2005 10:24AM by pgens.

Posted by: kklare ()
Date: May 30, 2005 12:34PM

I belong to Lifetime Fitness in centreville (also one in ffx), there are TONS of hot women there and the gym is massive. If you have no hangups about hot underaged tail, it has plenty of that too. And it's open 24/7.

Date: May 30, 2005 04:11PM

I have no hangups

May7be I'll start exercising

Date: May 30, 2005 09:31PM

Great, thanks for the info. So you can just go to the NRA headquarters and shoot at their range? Are there any good outdoor ranges? (I perfer outdoor, never actually used indoor). That could be the good Cali weather though, maybe a indoor range would be better in the Virginia summer humidity.

Date: May 30, 2005 09:41PM

You can shoot at NRA, sure, "range access is public" but I do believe they take safety steps before just letting any moron fire off rounds. The NRA has more of an obligation towards safety than other ranges due to the fact that they say guns are safe (I agree, but public perception is another thing).

Date: May 30, 2005 09:43PM

I've been considering rejoining but I sold all my weapons years ago. Anyone willing to let me use theirs if I buy ammo?

Date: May 30, 2005 09:46PM

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

membership is only 35 bucks for the full now... for one year

that's DIRT cheap to get a year's worth of range time.

ANd I second whoever said Blue Ridge Arsenal is run by assholes now, those folks are just financially elevated white trash on most cases, just PLAIN white trash in others.

Date: May 30, 2005 10:26PM

NRA range use requires that you take a multiple-choice test before you use it. If you have taken a basic firearm safety course it won't be any problem. Most of the answers to the test can be found in the room where they give it... on posters describing key safety points, etc. After reviewing the test with you they give you a range card, which you can then use to get you in anytime after that.

And on the $35 membership... that's NRA membership you're talking about, right? Non-member range fee is $12 or $13 (per hour) I think, and member fee is $10 or something like that. In other words $35 doesn't get you unlimited range time included or anything like that, unless they've changed things since the last time I was there (6 months or so ago). I asked them if an associate membership ($10/year) would get me the range discount and they said no.

The thing is I prefer Blue Ridge's range for shooting (once you get past the pricks that run the place, that is). Yeah you don't have the fancy digital target sending unit like they have at NRA, but I prefer the acoustics for a couple of reasons. First, the fibreglass (or whatever it is) lane separaters at NRA trap the sound a bit more and there's a lot more bang. Second, you can shoot just about anything at NRA and some guys bring in some wild-ass shit. Sometimes the random big booms make me jumpy. At Blue Ridge they have some caliber limitations, and they only allow full metal jacket so if you go to Dicks and get a box of factory reloads (lead rounds) they don't want you using that at Blue Ridge. But yeah their attitude keeps my away from there most of the time. I don't look forward to dealing with them on the way there and I feel better when I'm past them and on the range but it takes away from what would otherwise be an enjoyable experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2005 10:31PM by pgens.

Date: May 30, 2005 10:48PM

ah thx for the info, I was just gathering info from various places so no wonder it was all wrong

I went there back in 97 so I couldn't remember anything about it firsthand, I do recall some real ass-kicking going on as far as the crazy weapons these mountain men would drag in. Desert Eagles begin to look tame comparatively.

By the way nothing wrong with the clark brothers if you're just looking to buy or browse.

Posted by: Mateo1 ()
Date: May 31, 2005 10:40AM

Yeah, Clark Brothers is an outdoor range. You shoot for free if you buy the ammunition there.

You can make some fine sociological observations there as well. As far as attitudes are concerned the guys that work there always seem cool to me. It's the patrons that are crazy.

It's past Warrenton on Rt. 29 in Opal, Virginia.

A rumor I've heard: One of the Clark Brothers killed himself by blowing up an old blackpowder whaling harpoon. It was in some shack next to the main building. The rendition of the story included his first name, which might lend some credibility. Anyone know about this?

Date: May 31, 2005 12:21PM

The Clark Brothers website has a history of the brothers and doesn't explicitly mention that incident, doesn't mean it didn't happen

Posted by: Mateo1 ()
Date: June 01, 2005 02:40PM

http://www.clarkbrosguns.com/home.html

"In 1970, Jim was fatally injured in an accident at the store."

Yeah, that's kind of vague but that could certainly fit the bill.

Date: June 01, 2005 02:59PM

LOL

laughing at other's misfortunes is not nice

/like I care

Posted by: Randy ()
Date: June 01, 2005 03:15PM

Great info, I was intending to ask about places to buy guns in the area after my first trip to Blue Ridge Arsenal to play with my Kel-Tec P11 http://www.kel-tec.com/prod01.htm. Clark Bros looks like just the place to look for a decent used pistol and the have a nice and short 2 hour concealed weapon course. Definetly worth the drive to avoid the 8-12 hour courses offered at the ranges in this area.

There is a small gun shop called All American on 29/50 just up from Fairfax Circle. I haven't checked it out yet, but looks seedy enough to have decent prices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2005 03:16PM by Randy.

Date: June 01, 2005 03:28PM

I think that dude has all american gun stores in other places, not totally sure if the place in manassas is the one I am thinking of

anyway, there's another place I just remembered. It's a mom and pop shop located in a house-looking building in the Giant parking lot in annandale, if youy want seedy try those boys, don't recall the name but it's in the basement and has a small shop and an indoor range

potomac arms in Alexandria used to be okay but someone recently told me they aren't for shit anymore, if you wanna see them they are near the waterfront in oldtown.

Posted by: Randy ()
Date: June 01, 2005 03:38PM

Mofo, if you are interested here is the Fairfax county process for concealed carry;

http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/courts/circuit/PDF/SP-248.pdf

and here is some info on transporting and carrying guns in the state.

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/virginia/

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: June 01, 2005 05:26PM

VA law does not require a concealed carry course per se. You can take an introductory pistol course from the NRA or a hunter education course through the park service. It wont teach you anything about concealed carry, but if you know your shit already and just have to cut through the red tape, its much better than wasting $100.

Date: June 01, 2005 11:29PM

Yeah I was thinking about concealed carry. Mostly just to carry loaded and concealed in the car. I do have my California hunter's license if that will transfer. I've been looking at the laws regarding open carry and concealed carry. So tell me Mad Max, does JD mean Juris Doctorate?

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: June 02, 2005 02:46AM

why is it everybody from the west wants to come east and everybody from the east wants to get west

stay where u are fool u dont know how good u got it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2005 02:46AM by MrDoctor.

Date: June 02, 2005 07:43AM

> VA law does not require a concealed carry course
> per se. You can take an introductory pistol
> course from the NRA or a hunter education course
> through the park service.

I took a household gun safety course for mine and it counts too. I think that was a more well-rounded course and very informative. Along with showing different gun safes and locks, they went over all the basic firearm safety rules and let everyone walk around and load plastic dummy rounds into different types of handguns. I think the course was $50.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: June 02, 2005 08:14PM

Yes, my list was not exhaustive. VA allows several forms of firearms training for their CCW. I live in Missouri currently, and the local parks department offered teh NRA pistol course for $7 and i took it. I still have a VA Drivers license and though st. louis county will not issue CCW permits due to budgetary reasons, MO honors all out of state permits which makes mine perfectly valid. The JD does stand for juris doctorate, but it will not be valid until may of next year.

Posted by: Tim ()
Date: June 10, 2005 03:32PM

"I'm also looking into krav maga does anyone know anything about the locations around here that offer that or have any experience?"

Most krav maga schools are pretty commercialized and not much better than any other cheesy TMA mcdojo. Can I ask why you have settled upon that particular system? I think you'd be better off going to any MMA gym (www.novamma.com is one local one) Unless you'd rather go to a school where they spend most of their class doing silly stuff like crotch punches/kicks instead of doing any realistic sparring or groundwork.

Posted by: ben ()
Date: June 10, 2005 10:52PM

Also consider One Spirit Martial Arts. I took some courses in Muay Thai at GMU from one of their instructors, until I got so busy I couldn't keep up with it. Brooks, the instructor who was leading the class, has held titles and he's a *very* chill guy. I wish I had the time to really commit to it.

Posted by: Tim ()
Date: June 20, 2005 11:49PM

One Spirit is also a good place. I've seen Brooks fight on at least one of the local muay thai cards before and I think his students are regularly at them as well.

Posted by: iamtheman ()
Date: June 21, 2005 08:01PM

Lifetime rules all, I go like everyday

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: February 25, 2013 02:21PM

I saved this thread from falling of the back page.

Amazing that there is no name calling or insults in this thread and that it generally seems very helpful. Is that the way things were in 2005? Crazy!

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: February 25, 2013 02:51PM

I wonder if they ever made it out here and how bad they regret it now.

Date: February 25, 2013 03:10PM

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: February 25, 2013 05:11PM

Date: February 25, 2013 05:22PM

Lol.

Posted by: dieing breed ()
Date: February 25, 2013 05:49PM

I just secured my membership in a well organized malitia. You sound like a perfect recruit especially because the women in our militia are almost all 8's, 9's, and 10's.

There are a few ugly ones, but even they look good to somebody.

You should breeze right through the testing to qualify. I had difficulty mainly because I had to start at square one with firearms training.

I don't have any advice on a local gymn, but we have monthly meetings that all malitia members are required to attend. There you can meet some of these dazzeling woman who obviously work out somewhere.

Just post after you get settled in and I let you know more if your interested.

Posted by: livingfreedom ()
Date: February 25, 2013 05:53PM

You find better looking women just a tad further South. Try Richmond, Charlottesville, Raleigh, Norfolk, VA Beach- those areas. Most of them around Fairfax are furriners or NY/NJ housewife transplants.

Posted by: little big man ()
Date: February 25, 2013 06:02PM

223 ammo now averages a buck a round so bring money. You can thank the fear monger and chief for driving up that price.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: February 25, 2013 06:37PM

why are you fucktards bringing back a stupid topic that is nearly 8 years old? bunch of idiots who bring back old topics, then continue to comment on them.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 25, 2013 06:41PM

@who cares - they are just all butthurt that it's not 1953 and they cant kill ni**ers anymore, that hispanics will take their jobs if they show up to them drunk, and that their kids can get them arrested if they stick their dicks into them the way they used to, that's why.

you know.................the "good old days" LoLz

Posted by: tom foolery ()
Date: February 25, 2013 06:41PM

And yet, you respond.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: February 25, 2013 06:45PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @who cares - they are just all butthurt that it's
> not 1953 and they cant kill ni**ers anymore, that
> hispanics will take their jobs if they show up to
> them drunk, and that their kids can get them
> arrested if they stick their dicks into them the
> way they used to, that's why.
>
> you know.................the "good old days" LoLz

You just have all the answers..Fuck Face.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 25, 2013 06:47PM

yup, sure do :)

pic unrelated
Attachments:
LoLz Gordon LoLz.jpg

Posted by: 90pofd ()
Date: September 18, 2018 07:50AM

I wonder if they regret coming out here?

Posted by: Always disappointing ()
Date: September 18, 2018 08:32AM

Might be more mindless right-wing assholes floating around than some would have thought.

Posted by: A Mother of Invention ()
Date: September 18, 2018 09:51AM

Don't move here. Take my advice.

I'll soon be moving to Montana soon, where I'm going to be a dental floss tycoon.

Posted by: Zappa is dead, but... ()
Date: September 18, 2018 10:20AM

The NOVA suburbs of DC are actually one of the great places to live in the country. People who can afford the choice to live here during their working lives often choose to retire here as well because of the low taxes, moderate four-season climate, and the amazing breadth and depth of amenities available here.

Posted by: Brown Onion ()
Date: September 18, 2018 10:24AM

Hoping you're white as we need more white folks here.

Posted by: Avon Barksdale ()
Date: September 18, 2018 12:16PM

The only white people left in Fairfax are those too old and frail to move or someone that didn't check into where they were going and is shocked to find third world villages surrounding them now.

Even the snowflake libtard bitches are moving to Ashburn and Stafford.

Posted by: Make no mistake ()
Date: September 18, 2018 12:27PM

Ashburn and Stafford are exurban alternatives for those who have been priced out of the area's upper-tier properties.

Posted by: Brown Onion ()
Date: September 18, 2018 03:07PM

Avon Barksdale Wrote:
> The only white people left in Fairfax are those
> too old and frail to move or someone that didn't
> check into where they were going and is shocked to
> find third world villages surrounding them now.
>
> Even the snowflake libtard bitches are moving to
> Ashburn and Stafford.

Not true although a large portion of us have bowel problems.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.