HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Help! Can't pass VA emissions test.
Posted by: Zhjxjc jfkc ()
Date: June 30, 2016 08:36AM

I have a new-to-me truck that I paid $2,300 on eBay. Drives great and I love it. I paid another $550 for new brakes and rotors all around. It had $1,000 of brand new Goodyear tires on it when I bought it, so the truck was a great deal.

I tried Rapid Pass emissions and failed it. My OBDII is never ready because of a leaky SAI pump. Not sure what to do. I don't want to spend $1,000 just to pass emissions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! Can't pass VA emissions test.
Posted by: sorryyou ()
Date: June 30, 2016 08:56AM

My dad lives in MD, and has a Corolla that failed emissions there. But since he's a senior citizen and got a mileage restriction, they are allowing him to use it despite emissions.

Are you a senior?

An illegal alien?

They might make exceptions for you.

You will be denied your registration renewal if you don't pass or get an exception.

Posted by: Nog hauler ()
Date: June 30, 2016 08:57AM

Weird. No one on FFXU has ever failed emissions.

What should we do?

Posted by: wbhXn ()
Date: June 30, 2016 08:58AM

This is an interesting situation.

With 1996 and newer vehicles in the VA Counties that required Emission Testing there are now 2 different approaches for getting the vehicle tested and possibilities for the vehicle to pass an emissions test.

For a "In Station" Emission Test, a tailpipe exhaust sample is not required. The vehicle cannot have the SES/CEL/MIL light on (Check Engine Light), is required to have most if not all the Emission Readiness Monitors in the Ready/Clear/Pass state. The vehicle can apparently have a "Pending" code, which does not light the SES/CEL/MIL.

Depending on the year of the vehicle it can have up to 2 Emission Readiness Monitors not in Ready/Clear/Pass state.

So all this means you need to "manage" any problems the vehicle has and try to get the vehicle into the Inspection Station before the SES/CEL/MIL turns on and the proper number of Emission Readiness Monitors need to be in the Ready/Clear/Pass state. You will need your own OBDII scan tool to monitor and clear codes as needed. The OBDFusion App and a proper VeePeak interface from Amazon is less than $30 for iPhone/iPad and less that $20 for Android.

As for the RapidPass, the funny/stupid thing about this program is you can have any number of Emission Readiness Monitors not in the Ready/Clear/Pass state AND the SES/CEL/MIL light can be lit on the dash. As long as the vehicle tail pipe emission values are below the threshold, you pass!! But if the tailpipe emissions are out of line, then you need to work and manage the problem and try to get the vehicle tested at an Emission Test Station.

If you have the values that RadidPass detected, post these here for review and comment.

You need to get your own OBDII tool so you can monitor Fuel Trim values, Readiness Monitors and if needed you can Log and graph OBDII PID data and determine if things like an O2 sensor may be lazy or if there are vacuum leaks and even verify if the O2 sensor wiring is properly connected.

Posted by: JudgeRoy ()
Date: June 30, 2016 12:55PM

Try a bottle of GUARANTEED TO PASS EMISSIONS from the local Advanced Auto store, it's worked for me before. Some stations have been able to "tweak" cars to get them to pass before. Find someone who knows the game.

Put a piece of electrical tape over the CEL light and try it. Snooker them.

Posted by: xeEVw ()
Date: June 30, 2016 01:13PM

The other thing you need to verify is the engine operating temperature. Many vehicles have weak thermostats and run too cold and therefore have higher than expected HC output levels. Most modern engines should operate around 205F.

The comment about the GUARANTEED TO PASS EMISSIONS additive may or may not be something to consider. First you need to figure out why the truck failed the RapidPass test.

Posted by: 1 idea ()
Date: June 30, 2016 01:15PM

Find someone that has the same car as you, switch your plates, drive past Rapid Pass, profit.

Date: June 30, 2016 06:05PM

xeEVw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The other thing you need to verify is the engine
> operating temperature. Many vehicles have weak
> thermostats and run too cold and therefore have
> higher than expected HC output levels. Most modern
> engines should operate around 205F.
>
> The comment about the GUARANTEED TO PASS EMISSIONS
> additive may or may not be something to consider.
> First you need to figure out why the truck failed
> the RapidPass test.

The GUARANTEED TO PASS EMISSIONS can supposedly clean out the throttle body and some sensors. You have to fill up your tank and drive a couple hundred miles to have it work it's way thru the system. It recently worked on my son's car enough to pass and then 2 days later the CEL came back on.

Posted by: K9w4d ()
Date: June 30, 2016 06:47PM

Best to fix the problem(s) rather than rely on "Mechanic In A Can".

Everything from a cold running engine, vacuum leaks, ignition problems to occasional sensors issues can cause permanent damage to the catalytic converter if underlying problems not addressed.

The funny part, most of the time, sensors are NOT the problem. The other very common problem these days are people replacing the MAF, which I rarely do or even clean. Most people go cheap on the MAF and end up with an Asian counterfeit MAF that uses cheap and ineffective thermistors and then they condition to convince themselves the MAF is not a problem because it has been replaced.

NEVER, EVER, through away an original MAF even it it is suspected to be bad, more often than not the original MAF goes back on the car when all else fails, but other problems are problems are found. Once the original MAF goes back on the car often things start to perform properly.

Posted by: Yhhv ()
Date: June 30, 2016 09:41PM

Is the check engine light off - if not you won't pass.

If it's off - (this will sound goofy, but a mechanic told me this and it's worked twice now), fill the gas tank as close to 3/4 full as you can get it. Drive around for about 20 min - the last 10 min drive it 40-50 mph in 3rd gear (I will even do 2nd for a little bit) in order to get the engine really hot. Then go right to an emissions test. I done this early in the mornings to be able to maintain the needed speed and to hopefully have no line at the testing station. "Guaranteed to Pass" has not worked 2 of 3 times when I tried it. Good luck.

Posted by: tJeJH ()
Date: July 01, 2016 01:02AM

The 3/4 full fuel tank is to help with the Evap Readiness Monitor. Ideally you keep the fuel tank around 3/4 full during the Evap Readiness Monitor stage.

The highway cruising in 3rd gear is to warm up the converters and O2 sensors and try to burn any carbon out of the catalytic converters.

The above may help, but with your own OBDII tool you can see exactly what is going on and what Readiness Monitors may or may not be Ready/Set

Posted by: It's True ()
Date: July 01, 2016 01:29AM

JudgeRoy Wrote:
> Try a bottle of GUARANTEED TO PASS EMISSIONS from
> the local Advanced Auto store, it's worked for me
> before. Some stations have been able to "tweak"
> cars to get them to pass before. Find someone who
> knows the game.
>
> Put a piece of electrical tape over the CEL light
> and try it. Snooker them.

Wow, that's really a thing. I thought you were probably trolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiONj3RM3aQ

Posted by: Djfjjff ()
Date: July 01, 2016 07:48AM

I went out at 3am and just around on the highway. I got all the readiness except for EVAP and the SAI. Fingers crossed that the EVAP can be set without SAI check engine going off. I have a 2004, so I'm only allowed one not ready.

Posted by: Suucufc ()
Date: July 02, 2016 09:57AM

wbhXn Wrote:
> This is an interesting situation.
>
> With 1996 and newer vehicles in the VA Counties
> that required Emission Testing there are now 2
> different approaches for getting the vehicle
> tested and possibilities for the vehicle to pass
> an emissions test.
>
> For a "In Station" Emission Test, a tailpipe
> exhaust sample is not required. The vehicle cannot
> have the SES/CEL/MIL light on (Check Engine
> Light), is required to have most if not all the
> Emission Readiness Monitors in the
> Ready/Clear/Pass state. The vehicle can apparently
> have a "Pending" code, which does not light the
> SES/CEL/MIL.
>
> Depending on the year of the vehicle it can have
> up to 2 Emission Readiness Monitors not in
> Ready/Clear/Pass state.
>
> So all this means you need to "manage" any
> problems the vehicle has and try to get the
> vehicle into the Inspection Station before the
> SES/CEL/MIL turns on and the proper number of
> Emission Readiness Monitors need to be in the
> Ready/Clear/Pass state. You will need your own
> OBDII scan tool to monitor and clear codes as
> needed. The OBDFusion App and a proper VeePeak
> interface from Amazon is less than $30 for
> iPhone/iPad and less that $20 for Android.
>
> As for the RapidPass, the funny/stupid thing about
> this program is you can have any number of
> Emission Readiness Monitors not in the
> Ready/Clear/Pass state AND the SES/CEL/MIL light
> can be lit on the dash. As long as the vehicle
> tail pipe emission values are below the threshold,
> you pass!! But if the tailpipe emissions are out
> of line, then you need to work and manage the
> problem and try to get the vehicle tested at an
> Emission Test Station.
>
> If you have the values that RadidPass detected,
> post these here for review and comment.
>
> You need to get your own OBDII tool so you can
> monitor Fuel Trim values, Readiness Monitors and
> if needed you can Log and graph OBDII PID data and
> determine if things like an O2 sensor may be lazy
> or if there are vacuum leaks and even verify if
> the O2 sensor wiring is properly connected.

I passed!! This worked. Thank you!! Who said FFXU community is unhelpful.

Super happy I don't have to worry about his for another 2 years. I just made sure the Air pump was in the not ready state and everything else was good.

Date: July 02, 2016 10:39AM

It's True Wrote:
> JudgeRoy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Try a bottle of GUARANTEED TO PASS EMISSIONS
> from
> > the local Advanced Auto store, it's worked for
> me
> > before. Some stations have been able to "tweak"
> > cars to get them to pass before. Find someone
> who
> > knows the game.
> >
> > Put a piece of electrical tape over the CEL
> light
> > and try it. Snooker them.
>
>
> Wow, that's really a thing. I thought you were
> probably trolling.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiONj3RM3aQ

Yes, it's really a thing. I don't troll.
Used this product several times and it's work, again it can usually clean out the carbon buildup in the throttle body.
OTOH, this emission's test is a total bunch of crap, especially with the CEL failing people. You can drive a car for years with a CEL on with not one issue.
The dealers and repair shops along with the state of Virginia have made a fortune off these tests. What a crock of crap!

So many other car issues are more important such as brakes, idle control arms, oil burning cars.

Posted by: unlikely fix ()
Date: July 02, 2016 12:13PM

unlikely fix but worth a try. Amazon reviews shows it works some of the time.

Posted by: unlikely fix ()
Date: July 02, 2016 12:13PM

unlikely fix but worth a try. Amazon reviews shows it works some of the time.

Posted by: Still cheating ()
Date: July 02, 2016 01:01PM

It's True Wrote:
> JudgeRoy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Try a bottle of GUARANTEED TO PASS EMISSIONS
> from
> > the local Advanced Auto store, it's worked for
> me
> > before. Some stations have been able to "tweak"
> > cars to get them to pass before. Find someone
> who
> > knows the game.
> >
> > Put a piece of electrical tape over the CEL
> light
> > and try it. Snooker them.
>
>
> Wow, that's really a thing. I thought you were
> probably trolling.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiONj3RM3aQ

Yet VW gets boned for doing the same thing in software.

Posted by: 6jMNP ()
Date: July 02, 2016 01:20PM

you dont need a pass

chinese wrenches, oil, filter, and seals are all cheap.

get your ass in gear and fix it stop asking others to do it for you

Posted by: Mk6eG ()
Date: July 02, 2016 01:24PM

Djfjjff Wrote:
> I went out at 3am and just around on the highway.
> I got all the readiness except for EVAP and the
> SAI. Fingers crossed that the EVAP can be set
> without SAI check engine going off. I have a
> 2004, so I'm only allowed one not ready.

EVAP should not fail emissions inspection it is a separate matter of "saving fuel" only. it doesn't mean your engine is dying and you'll toast the engine if you run it without repairs, it doesn't mean harmful emissions are present either.

if you were failed for EVAP you should fight it in court

EVAP is important but a separate class of "failure" - it is not a 500lb well machined dead motor spewing NOx waiting to happen

Posted by: 4xdFK ()
Date: July 02, 2016 01:27PM

>
> I passed!! This worked. Thank you!! Who said
> FFXU community is unhelpful.
>

total fucking liar that's not at all how emissions works

emissions tests - the machines USA used esp. VA are MADE IN USA, LEESBURG VA

they can test if a vehicles has an fuel burning problem - and pass or fail it - without any car computer at all

Posted by: wCxXE ()
Date: July 02, 2016 01:29PM

additionally, at a great extra cost, they also detect if a fuel buring problem happens only upon acceleration or load - that was mostly for carbuerators which fail in that mode - nothing on the road today needs that

Posted by: etxVj ()
Date: July 02, 2016 01:39PM

problem with EVAP is the MIL light is wRONG - is set up for California laws not VA laws

it might be true carbon canister recovery "is the law"

however the light will come on for a miniscule leak when the system is functioning well within limits - which is not indicative of failure or even a fuel economy issue

for example a gas cap that seals but is "slighly leaky" will throw a major MIL light - this passes for bullshit in california but not as gun to your head law VA

it's a broken MIL light

Posted by: T7CNP ()
Date: July 02, 2016 01:47PM

all other gas limits are measured and pass if they in a wide range ... comparisons between cars vary vastly and that is VA law: within limits

EVAP mil light is no the law in VA ... the numbers of ammount within limits are - and the evap code is not indicative of that in any way

do not be confused the "gas cap leak test" was made in a time it tested for very leaky caps when gas caps were $5

that was not meant to be a harassment of MIL light failure but a simple cheap way for customers to get the mil light off ... is why it was instituted in that manner

a carbon canister system used to be $75 new and save much more than that in fuel

now fast forward to the 2000's when gas caps might be $50 (audi a4) ... and a carbon canister a A FEW HUNDRED, and repairs by a seedy fairfax spic of a whole system reaching to A THOUSAND DOLLARS

the "evap MIL light" is no longer sufficient to force such a NEGATIVE CARBON CREDIT EXPENDATURE

Posted by: DmhYH ()
Date: July 02, 2016 03:17PM

another EVAP light law failure is this.

(1) on the old systems the vent was closed when there is no power (car off) and open when car running (by very inexpensive solenoid or mechanical switch). simple system. TODAY there are sensors attatched that throw a MIL light that themselves can fail - meaning the system is functioning and MUST pass but do not - and the sensor IS EXPENSIVE. we can guess newer cars have multiple financial terrorism sensors.

(2) solenoid open close aside with car key (should be working, very simple device single throw, should never fail). is it true if there is a small leak that allows some percentage vapor pressure to seep that the carbon canister does not still collect gas at the remaining pressure (surely there is no air just vapor) ?

my guess is that the carbon canister does work, less efficiently, even if ever slightly above 1 Atmosphere pressure emersed in vapor (noting: the higher the better, but that on dump mode there is suction)

it's active carbon that is the magic - it just happens to store a significant ammount of fuel vapor give slight pressures (but more is better) and dump at slight negative pressures without any help - total luck not engineering at all, all you need is a weakly good closed system without big leaks. (as you use gas the tank pressure reduces because volume is taken from the tank - and negative pressure can elsewise be applies as vapor suction into air intake)

ie, take off your new gas cap before driving. do you hear anything like a rush of air coming out of a tire? NO - gas vapor pressure is a slight thing. we're talking minutia to start with. were not talking about a suction pressure system that has much seal in the first place.

Posted by: 4jtYp ()
Date: July 02, 2016 03:19PM

interesting. last time i looked it up years ago: the minimum and maximum pressures for active carbon to store and dump (also the most efficent) were readily found

today i see thousands of worthless auto and government writeups and none of the beef - all evading the one thing you need to know

THE OLD DAYS WERE BETTER AND HIGHER TECH - YOU HAD ALL THE REAL DATA AND NONE OF THE BULLSHIT

Posted by: UWKkt ()
Date: July 02, 2016 03:20PM

i want my money back on all those fucking gov writeups on EVAP systems

not fucking one of them has the data on active carbon meaning they are lying out their ass to begin with

it's a very simple matter but you dont have dick witout the min/max pressure carbon stores and dumps with

Posted by: GjP6e ()
Date: July 02, 2016 03:56PM

meanwhile, vacuum by intake on carbon filter while running good. vapors are also "tended" while car is running - which is a significant cycle for some cars that run allot.

vacuum in tank due to closed tank and fluid beign sucked is avoided works against fuel pump and causes more vapors (lower pressure) and thus more need to tend them

higher pressure need not be in tank while running because vapor in the tank *can be* routed to intake, si vu plea, no law says it must. however sitting on higher pressure to "maintain it higher" would be more expensive and stupid as well. (imports do this)

meanwhile ... many manufacturers have put smaller and smaller ammounts of real active carbon claiming their expensive systems "keep the same storage levels" (also hitting consumer cost of all this bullshit technology and papers). what is gained? lower import weight/shipping weight - and consumer rip off is gained!

but active carbon is cheap and more carbon more easily stores (and last longer) and is relatively light weight. the need to use "less" is absolutely rediculous if not criminal.

Posted by: JpteH ()
Date: July 02, 2016 04:11PM

^^ ?? that was all common knowelege before most cars had fuel injection !!

Posted by: The OP ()
Date: July 02, 2016 08:37PM

4xdFK Wrote:
> >
> > I passed!! This worked. Thank you!! Who said
> > FFXU community is unhelpful.
> >
>
>

> total fucking liar that's not at all how emissions
> works
>
> emissions tests - the machines USA used esp. VA
> are MADE IN USA, LEESBURG VA
>
> they can test if a vehicles has an fuel burning
> problem - and pass or fail it - without any car
> computer at all
>

I absolutely did pass thanks to the helpful people of FFXU. I am a happy truck owner. Here is my proof...
Attachments:
image.jpeg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.