HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Thinking of getting a motorcycle license
Posted by: motorcylceheloo ()
Date: June 26, 2016 09:18AM

Been thinking of getting a motor cycle license. I have never ridden one before. I hear nova offers a course over several days that lets you bypass the testing from the DMV, you pass the course, you get a license. I don't have a motorcycle, and I'm very worried about safety. I live in Arlington, curious about how dangerous riding a bike is around this area or Fairfax. Some person was killed in the I-66 tunnel during rolling thunder weekend. Unfortunately this isn't a rural area, so there's more risk when I'd be trying to get experience, though fortunately the speed limits are rather low where I live (Court house area). ANyone have any suggestions, and also what kind of motorcyle to get? Don't want to spend a fortune on one, as I barely drive to begin with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking of getting a motorcycle license
Posted by: Fiber gummiesFv ()
Date: June 26, 2016 10:49AM

Please do, the hospitals need more organs.

Posted by: Thanks for your patronage ()
Date: June 26, 2016 10:51AM

Fiber gummiesFv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please do, the hospitals need more organs.

How witty, how droll, how original...

Posted by: Gerrymandererez ()
Date: June 26, 2016 12:34PM

Courses are offered through some dealerships as well as MRC in Fairfax. The program is 2.5 days long and if you pass the written and practical exam, you'll receive a card indicating you can ride a motorcycle. You have 30 days to take the card to the DMV and have the M2 endorsement added to your VA driver's license.

Since the course is also considered a safety course, tell your insurance company about it and they'll ask you to send a proof of completion. You could save around 10% off your yearly insurance premium on the cycle.

With that said, it doesn't take much speed to wreck a cycle. There are several factors that you have to take in consideration. Traffic volume, people talking on cellphones, texting, etc. are all items that can work against you.

If you were to proceed with getting your certification, you might find that you'll enjoy your rides more the further away from the city you get. More open road, less traffic, less shifting - and lots of wind in your face.

As to cost, it's all relevant. Are you thinking of a sport bike (crotch rocket) or a cruiser (Honda Shadow, HD Sportster, Dyna, etc.) or touring bike (HD Road Glide, Super Glide, Honda Gold Wing, etc.)? Knowing the kind of cycle you want to ride will allow to focus on that category so you can proceed with a purchase if you desire.

Additionally, there are companies (Coleman Powersports, etc.) that rent cycles so you could rent some various styles of cycles to see what you might enjoy riding and this can direct you in your purchase. This might be the best route for you. Pass the course, then rent some different styles of bikes to see what you prefer.

Ride safe.

Posted by: OPhere ()
Date: June 26, 2016 04:50PM

OP here, thanks to the last poster. If I do this I will surely take the safety course, besides that, I won't need to take the test at the DMV. I was wondering if there are any materials to read about how to operate a motorcycle. I have a basic idea, my best friend got one, and he showed me saturday morning, though we didn't go riding. First gear is down, then the rest are up. I'm not sure about the brakes, to use the front or the rear. Obviously switching gears will require experience, when to give it gas, etc, just like learning how to drive manual in a car, which I'm expert on, have 20+ years experience driving a manual car, but with a bike it's going to be new, learning it all over again.

I'm not too positive of bike styles, not a harley for sure though I bet that's better for my back, but some kind of sport type bike, though for beginners. I've seen some up to 650cc for semi beginners, probably would do that.

Posted by: started on a 250 ()
Date: June 26, 2016 05:08PM

650cc is probably a little too big if you have 0 experience.

If you can find a 300 - 350cc that is perfect, enough power so you will never get bored or tired of it but small enough where you can learn.

Ninja 300, Yamaha YZF-R3, Honda CBR300

Posted by: Asterix2112 ()
Date: June 26, 2016 05:20PM

I have been riding motorcycles in NOVA traffic for some 30 years now... It is an experience, and sometimes not for everyone. Couple of pointers

650 is about tops for a total beginner, depends on the bike. My old 2000 Kawasaki W650 (British retro style bike) would be a perfect beginner bike. I really think 300-350 is too small if you plan on riding on the Interstates where you some times have to rise 70-80mph to keep with traffic and be safe (as it's less safe to be the oddball going slower). I would aim for the 500cc area. But practice and get comfortable before you get on the big roads. The course (which I took with my foster son not too long ago) is great, but can't teach you the reality of NOVA traffic.

I think of it as a game of Frogger. You have to navigate around all the cars in this are, and if you touch one you loose a life. And you only have one life!

But there are advantages, you ride HOV and HOT lanes (395, 495 and 66) totally free! You often get much better parking, cops rarely ticket bikers (unless your behaving like a jerk on a sports bike).

Clothes is another thing. During the hot summers it is a tradeoff, sitting at a light baking in a jacket, or wearing short sleeves and risking it... Al call we have to make.

Have fun, go west, plenty of beautiful rides out there.

- John

Posted by: Donor Cycles ()
Date: June 26, 2016 05:44PM

Fiber gummiesFv Wrote:
> Please do, the hospitals need more organs.

Please indicate that you are an organ donor on you license, so they can put you on life support long enough to harvest your viable organs.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: June 26, 2016 06:27PM

Good advice offered, and good luck finding a course slot at NVCC, which is the lowest cost option. A Kawasaki Ninja 300 is a perfect starting bike if you want a sport bike. Cruisers for beginners include the Honda Shadow 750, Sportster 883, and similar.

The course will teach you slow speed safety stuff. Be sure to practice on neighborhood streets before heading out into traffic.

And ignore the naysayers here, MCs are much safer than other option like Metro.

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: June 26, 2016 07:45PM

Strongly recommend a course. When I bought my first bike 36 years ago as a young man, my parents said "We can't stop you from riding, but we can pay for an MSF course if you'll take it". Not being entirely stupid, I acceded.

Really, really worthwhile. Could just save your life...

Posted by: mdGdP ()
Date: June 27, 2016 09:03AM

mdGdP

Date: June 27, 2016 09:51PM

Seeing the gang out riding today reminded me of one of the most valuable lessons I learned in the course: If your wheels are rolling on pavement, your feet are on the pegs, unless you're a duck. It seems like 99% of people leave stoplights with their feet skimming the ground (or dabbing at it, which is even worse). Hint: study the physics for 10 or 15 seconds. Then also consider what will happen if your toe catches a protrusion in the ground while you're rolling. At best, you'll break your toe...

Alas, I've found that screaming "YOU'RE NOT A DUCK!" doesn't seem to help, though that's what our instructor did when I took the course! (Mind you, he would then explain *again* why it was dumb...)

Posted by: super slick ()
Date: June 28, 2016 10:36AM

motorcylceheloo Wrote:
> Been thinking of getting a motor cycle license. I
> have never ridden one before. I hear nova offers a
> course over several days that lets you bypass the
> testing from the DMV, you pass the course, you get
> a license. I don't have a motorcycle, and I'm very
> worried about safety.
I live in Arlington, curious
> about how dangerous riding a bike is around this
> area or Fairfax. Some person was killed in the
> I-66 tunnel during rolling thunder weekend.
> Unfortunately this isn't a rural area, so there's
> more risk when I'd be trying to get experience,
> though fortunately the speed limits are rather low
> where I live (Court house area). ANyone have any
> suggestions, and also what kind of motorcyle to
> get? Don't want to spend a fortune on one, as I
> barely drive to begin with.

I rode a Suzki 450 in the 1980's when I lived in Arlington. I was a waiter/student working in Foggy Bottom so it was a short commute. I had a car too. It wasnt too bad but after about 3 years I sold the bike figuring I was ahead in a game where I would eventually lose.

Back then they didnt have all the body armor they have now just leather. When it rains the streets in DC become super slick from all the oil from cars. Riding in the rain sucks. Today with all the distracted driving I really dont think I would risk it. Loved to ride though. Safety courses will offer some help but riding is the only real teacher. If you do buy one get at least an 850cc or higher. Do not get a Harley as they handle like shit.

Posted by: Y-9 ()
Date: June 28, 2016 10:49AM

>Do not get a Harley as they handle like shit.

Bullshit! This coming from a guy who rode a girls bike for 3 years, 30 years ago.

Posted by: FUNKY FRESH ()
Date: June 28, 2016 03:51PM

i did the apex cycles class. good class with lots of info and the teachers were nice!

Posted by: zimm ()
Date: June 28, 2016 04:51PM

This site is the most anti-motorcycle forum I've ever seen, so be skeptical of the advice here. I've ridden since '97. I highly recommend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course that rents you the 250cc motorcycle. They'll teach you everything need to know.

When it's time for your first bike- a GS500 or similar 500cc bike is a great starter for about $2000. They're cheap- spend your money on the safety gear. "dress for the crash, not the ride" is the mantra. Pretend every car out there will try to run you over and you'll do alright.

Posted by: FreeShippingBack ()
Date: June 28, 2016 06:29PM

Get yourself the best "new bike" you can afford regardless of make, model, engine size.

It doesn't matter because you want to ride, not work on someones else's used bike every weekend. Besides you're going to trade it in on something else in 6 months anyway once you figure out what you really want.

Get up early Saturday morning before it get's hot and the traffic gets heavy and beat feet for the mountains. Come back late Sunday night when the traffic has died down and the air temperature blissfully cool.

Riding solo is all you should plan on doing for the first year. As a matter of safety..... don't take passengers! You are barely safe by yourself much less with someone on the back shifting their weight around complicating the matter.

Your destination??? .....Any small town that has a hotel boasting a swimming pool to cool off in with a cold can of beer. Have fun!!!

Posted by: kJeHE ()
Date: June 28, 2016 06:37PM

Its not bullshit and no beginner belongs on a Harley. More than likely they would tip it over at a stop light and need help righting it. Also get something in the 800cc range 500cc is too low for the highway - you need a little more power around here.

Posted by: cbaa ()
Date: June 28, 2016 06:39PM

^^^This is generally good advice^^^

I would buy a used bike to start out on because you will likely drop it at some point. I would also not buy a large bike to begin with because if it's too big, you will be afraid of it and that will slow down your learning pace. I would also not buy something too small or you may get tired of it too quickly.

When you take the Safety Course, ask your instructors. They can advise you based on your size and weight and how quickly you learn.

Good luck. Riding is a lot of fun.

Posted by: mTPKT ()
Date: June 29, 2016 01:28PM

BUY HARLEY

they are heavy in the right places because it's durable and stable

if you just want speed and dont care if your bike gets wasted since you dont care for it, get a crotch rocket

motorcylceheloo Wrote:
> Been thinking of getting a motor cycle license. I
> have never ridden one before. I hear nova offers a
> course over several days that lets you bypass the
> testing from the DMV, you pass the course, you get
> a license.

ride a tail bicycle off raod a while first. necessary (balance/reaction) skills.

> I don't have a motorcycle license

very slick. and can DMV give you one? would you trust that your able to drive if DMV said so?

> and I'm very
> worried about safety. I live in Arlington, curious
> about how dangerous riding a bike is around this
> area or Fairfax.

very during traffic hour. you have people turning through cars that block the intersection who can't see, etc. asian ladies who look right at you having a red light and your is green, your moving through the intersection - and appaulingly they hit the gas to cut you off.

also: if roads are we you need more stopping OR turning distance than you think

> Some person was killed in the
> I-66 tunnel during rolling thunder weekend.
> Unfortunately this isn't a rural area, so there's
> more risk when I'd be trying to get experience,
> though fortunately the speed limits are rather low
> where I live (Court house area). ANyone have any
> suggestions, and also what kind of motorcyle to
> get? Don't want to spend a fortune on one, as I
> barely drive to begin with.

absolutely dangerous if not taken seriously

it's a good idea to have some auto repair skills so at least you know if your ride is safe before getting on the road

any idiot can get a license, hop on a crotch rocket, and get in a major accident soon after. i know someone i warned "dont ride in the streets too soon" who did exactly that.

Posted by: Rolling Chunder ()
Date: June 29, 2016 04:41PM

Go to Kilroys on Wednesday night for All You Can Eat Wings Night. Lotsa bikers there who are happy to chat with those interested in motorcycling.

But don't get between a biker and his wings...you'll get SUCH a look...

Posted by: vGuXx ()
Date: June 29, 2016 05:36PM

Gerrymandererez Wrote:
> Courses are offered through some dealerships as
> well as MRC in Fairfax. The program is 2.5 days

HUGE rip-off. in the past VA didn't require any special license (unless you had no license at all - then you had to take the drivers exam)

there are very few or only one "business" that offers "the course". these people are somehow tied with county brats.

the county "rigs" the exams for failure (many oneline have complained) so that taking the class is required (steering business there off dmv website)

it cost a good chunk of money all said and done: prop tax, tags, regis, inspection, courses

they are, under VA run by liberals, sticking it to you the most the law could allow and a little further.

---------------------

lastly - it's easy to see on the road many foreigners have "official looking DMV licenses" and have absolutely NO idea who has the right of way - nor are they safe drivers - they dont value your life and may even be fishing for a accident insurance payout ... that why insurance companies hate operating in many countries - because corrupt gov and abuses are rampant

Posted by: HCeuw ()
Date: June 29, 2016 05:39PM

they are, under VA run by liberals, sticking it to you the most the law could allow and a little further.

their attack to extort every part of your life is endless - all they do is look for ways to attack others with corrupt fees - never to do anything productive themselves

Posted by: Raven23 ()
Date: June 29, 2016 10:27PM

Imho the nova course is good. If you take courses ask the students with you and prepare to her horror stories of their friends getting inured or killed in motorcycle accidents.
Motorcycles are pretty different from reg cyle that weight influences turns and control. If you fall there is a potential for serious injury. Worst yet losing control when there's an object on the road and its too late to do a controlled stop (especially gravel). After all, riding is so much fun.

Date: June 30, 2016 10:23PM

Raven23 Wrote:
> prepare to he[a]r
> horror stories of their friends getting inured or
> killed in motorcycle accidents.

In general, if you tell people you ride, you'll hear a story like:

"My brother-in-law's cousin had one o' dem damned things -- rode head-on into a train!"

Like that's the bike's fault. Yes, they call them "donorcycles" for good reason. But ya gotta die of something, and for many folks, it's worth it.

Me, I'm too damned old -- reflexes too slow now.

Posted by: jeffA ()
Date: July 04, 2016 09:16PM

take the NOVA class. I took it a few years ago and think it was great for me. they have some pretty good teachers who have been riding a long time and are willing to pass on some of their experiences. also, they have a pretty similar test to the DMV test (but theirs adds a couple of things and emphasizes what they think you really need to know while riding on the street).

there are lots of cars on the roads here. it's something you're gonna have to get used to. in the morning, people are generally fine, but they turning asses on the way home at night (nobody in a hurry to get to work, but everyone's in a hurry to get home). they will cut you off every chance they get. and expect to sit in traffic a bunch (and get really hot in your jacket while doing so).

if you're not planning on commuting, you can pick your days/times to times that are less traffic heavy and riding becomes more enjoyable.

which bike? crap, I don't know. I have a kawasaki zx6r. i enjoy sport bikes, but if you want to sit back, then it's not the bike for you. they have a couple of different bikes at NOVA, so try the different ones out and see what feels right. if you're gonna do a sport bike, stay at 600cc at first, so you don't kill yourself. enough people told me that, where I think it must be true.

Posted by: wCcGn ()
Date: July 04, 2016 09:40PM

there is really no difference between passing drivers and motorcycles exams

a few questions are different is all

it's having all your skills "automatic" so you have your full attention on what or who may hurt you, that's important. reading in your book to check your mirrors is, duh, that's why there their.

(that and not underestimating how must distance a bike needs on newly wet roads to make a turn or stop)

it's a "safety first" job staying un-injured and keeping the bike in good condition. it's kinda like taking your work home with you - if your lazy do not get one.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.