HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: RecallRyan ()
Date: June 21, 2016 02:06PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: June 21, 2016 02:11PM

Ok, I like the idea. Now what?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Hmmmm1 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 02:18PM

Andrea Lafferty, is that you, clutching your rear end from all the butt-hurt? You lost, get over it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Vizzini the Sicilian ()
Date: June 21, 2016 02:45PM

This is a marvelous* idea.

You should run right out and make up a petition stating the reason for McElveen's recall stating which of the reasons given in Virginia Code § 24.2-233** apply, then get 16286 registered voters to sign it.

In other words:

gifmadmaxhavefunstormingthecastle.gif

*Not really.
**At http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/24.2-233/. Go read it yourself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: FrankR. ()
Date: June 21, 2016 03:00PM

I'd sign it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: 7pL69 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 03:42PM

From the link cited above:

§ 24.2-233. Removal of elected and certain appointed officers by courts.
Bills amending this Section
Upon petition, a circuit court may remove from office any elected officer or officer who has been appointed to fill an elective office, residing within the jurisdiction of the court:

1. For neglect of duty, misuse of office, or incompetence in the performance of duties when that neglect of duty, misuse of office, or incompetence in the performance of duties has a material adverse effect upon the conduct of the office;

2. Upon conviction of a misdemeanor pursuant to Article 1 (§ 18.2-247 et seq.) or Article 1.1 (§ 18.2-265.1 et seq.) of Chapter 7 of Title 18.2 and after all rights of appeal have terminated involving the:

a. Manufacture, sale, gift, distribution, or possession with intent to manufacture, sell, give, or distribute a controlled substance or marijuana;

b. Sale, possession with intent to sell, or placing an advertisement for the purpose of selling drug paraphernalia; or

c. Possession of any controlled substance or marijuana and such conviction under subdivision a, b, or c has a material adverse effect upon the conduct of such office;

3. Upon conviction, and after all rights of appeal have terminated, of a misdemeanor involving a "hate crime" as that term is defined in § 52-8.5 when the conviction has a material adverse effect upon the conduct of such office; or

4. Upon conviction, and after all rights of appeal have terminated, of sexual battery in violation of § 18.2-67.4, attempted sexual battery in violation of subsection C of § 18.2-67.5, peeping or spying into dwelling or enclosure in violation of § 18.2-130, consensual sexual intercourse with a child 15 years of age or older in violation of § 18.2-371, or indecent exposure of himself or procuring another to expose himself in violation of § 18.2-387, and such conviction has a material adverse effect upon the conduct of such office.

The petition must be signed by a number of registered voters who reside within the jurisdiction of the officer equal to ten percent of the total number of votes cast at the last election for the office that the officer holds.

Any person removed from office under the provisions of subdivision 2, 3, or 4 may not be subsequently subject to the provisions of this section for the same criminal offense.

1975, cc. 515, 595, § 24.1-79.5; 1989, c. 470; 1993, c. 641; 2002, cc. 588, 623; 2011, cc. 384, 410; 2014, cc. 566, 674, 719.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: do not forget ()
Date: June 21, 2016 05:02PM

McElveen used FCPS resources during his election campaign, and FCPS' "impartial counsel" Lord High Solicitor Foster did NOTHING even when complaints were sent to him.

Another one to toss would be Derenek Kaufax, guilty of terminal stupidity. Then there's Ilryong Moon, whose ability to speak English is often questioned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: RemoveHimYesterday ()
Date: June 21, 2016 05:16PM

Who sends out pictures of himself and students like he does? Not a responsible grown up. He took a call from the stage at the graduation ceremony at TJ? Rude. He had to be told that going to prom with a student wasn't a good idea? This guy is too immature and narcissistic to be on the Board of Education. He and "Moon Dog" as he called Mr. Moon one time, are making a mockery of their positions as elected officials. It's shameful and someone needs to calm them out on what they do and don't do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Wump ()
Date: June 21, 2016 10:27PM

Recall him where? He is not of this earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Upset and confused attendee ()
Date: June 22, 2016 03:00AM

The man is an embarrassment. I've lived in Mississippi, I've lived in Connecticut; I've had a diverse, firsthand look at local politics that have been in right-wing and left-wing political communities. In most cases, the politics of a certain town or county don't affect the local school districts to any great extent, and rightfully so in my opinion. Fairfax County seems to be the sad exception to that rule.

I'm not going to get into my own politics because they're irrelevant -- and I think that would be a lesson Mr. McElveen would do well to learn from. My kids are long out of high school, so I don't necessarily have a dog in this fight. But as a Fairfax County resident and an uncle to several young people still in the county's schools, I can say that I am deeply disturbed by the depressing and concerning circus I walked into the other day.

My oldest niece graduated last week, and she had the misfortune of having Mr. McElveen speak to her and her class. Most of the speech was narcissistic and puerile -- some scatological jokes and forced pop culture references marked the address. If I am not mistaken, this man is in his 30s, and yet he nakedly and cravenly wants to relate to high school kids to the point of embracing the lowest common denominator, much to the chagrin of everyone present. I don't know what's going on there psychologically, and frankly I don't want to know (I doubt the kids want to know either), but this gets worked out privately and on his time, not publicly in front of graduates and their families on a special day. The county needs better vetting on this.

Under normal circumstances, inane, attention-seeking behavior would be outrageous in and of itself. But the rest of the speech was more egregious, as Mr. McElveen spent his time launching into an invective against Robert E. Lee, a legendary and controversial Virginian who has been dead for 150 years. Whatever one's stance is on the naming of public places after confederates, one would assume that a contemporary public figure would have the decency, maturity and discretion to understand what is and what is not a proper forum for having that discussion. Mr. McElveen lacks that decency. Had a conservative graduation speaker attacked MLK's record of domestic violence and lasciviousness at a hypothetical MLK high school , we would rightly never hear the end of it. It seemed to me that a high school student's graduation -- one day that commemorates four years of achievement -- falls into the 'inappropriate' category. Of course there were references to Donald Trump and the several social justice struggles de jour, because that is what graduating is all about.

I frequently found my face in my hands because of the sheer awkwardness of the stupidity unfolding before us. The worst part of all of this is that this man decided to make a spectacle of himself and his politics instead of focusing on the students and their achievements. While Mr. McElveen is a man known for incessantly whining about marginalizing others, he seemed completely oblivious to the fact that he was ignoring and undercutting the entire purpose of the ceremony -- a final opportunity to acknowledge the accomplishments of the kids -- to entertain his bizarre political and cultural policy preferences.

My niece worked hard throughout high school and to my knowledge enjoyed herself; she will be going to a great school in the fall and has lots to look forward to. Still, what a terrible way to commemorate a seminal moment in her young life -- as well as the lives of her classmates. But by allowing a speaker to deride the kids for their school's name (which has been around since I was a kid, from what I've read) and turn their graduation into a shameless act of political self-promotion, FCPS said goodbye to the graduating class not with a wave but with a middle finger.

My niece didn't seem too upset when we went to my brother's house for her graduation party, but I can't help but wonder if her response (which was to ignore the theatrics and make the best of a strange situation) was the rule of the exception. All I can do is hope that in the future, Mr. McElveen will learn from his mistakes and show the maturity and grace that my niece and her classmates did by ignoring the selfish and strange behavior surrounding their ceremony and appreciating the event for what it was: a celebration of them and their achievements.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: WvJTw ()
Date: June 22, 2016 06:17AM

Upset and confused attendee - well stated comments above, you should send your comments directly to the School Board and Karen Garza.

I happened to attend a graduation a few years ago for Langley where McElveen spoke, I specifically recall him speaking about the Langley mascot, a Saxon and rhetorically stating a Saxon was a white person with a funny hat, then speaking to the crowd and making a similar reference to the student body in the audience. Seemed to be an inappropriate statement and a poor attempt at some form of joke. But I think in reality it was meant as a jab as the schools lack of diversity.

Due the schools location and the cost of housing, it by default does lack "students of color", however, there is plenty of diversity at the school.

Is is strange I remember this 2 years later, yes because it was a very awkward a confusing moment that McElveen created and was not necessary at a commencement speech. Again, some form of attack directed at the school and also to make the student body feel uncomfortable about something they have no real control over and probably were proud to be apart of and relate to while they were attending the school.

Some things do not change, some actually get worse over time!

So sad for the kids.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: night owl ()
Date: June 22, 2016 06:44AM

Upset and confused attendee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The man is an embarrassment. I've lived in
> Mississippi, I've lived in Connecticut; I've had a
> diverse, firsthand look at local politics that
> have been in right-wing and left-wing political
> communities. In most cases, the politics of a
> certain town or county don't affect the local
> school districts to any great extent, and
> rightfully so in my opinion. Fairfax County seems
> to be the sad exception to that rule.
>
> I'm not going to get into my own politics because
> they're irrelevant -- and I think that would be a
> lesson Mr. McElveen would do well to learn from.
> My kids are long out of high school, so I don't
> necessarily have a dog in this fight. But as a
> Fairfax County resident and an uncle to several
> young people still in the county's schools, I can
> say that I am deeply disturbed by the depressing
> and concerning circus I walked into the other day.
>
>
> My oldest niece graduated last week, and she had
> the misfortune of having Mr. McElveen speak to her
> and her class. Most of the speech was narcissistic
> and puerile -- some scatological jokes and forced
> pop culture references marked the address. If I am
> not mistaken, this man is in his 30s, and yet he
> nakedly and cravenly wants to relate to high
> school kids to the point of embracing the lowest
> common denominator, much to the chagrin of
> everyone present. I don't know what's going on
> there psychologically, and frankly I don't want to
> know (I doubt the kids want to know either), but
> this gets worked out privately and on his time,
> not publicly in front of graduates and their
> families on a special day. The county needs better
> vetting on this.
>
> Under normal circumstances, inane,
> attention-seeking behavior would be outrageous in
> and of itself. But the rest of the speech was more
> egregious, as Mr. McElveen spent his time
> launching into an invective against Robert E. Lee,
> a legendary and controversial Virginian who has
> been dead for 150 years. Whatever one's stance is
> on the naming of public places after confederates,
> one would assume that a contemporary public figure
> would have the decency, maturity and discretion to
> understand what is and what is not a proper forum
> for having that discussion. Mr. McElveen lacks
> that decency. Had a conservative graduation
> speaker attacked MLK's record of domestic violence
> and lasciviousness at a hypothetical MLK high
> school , we would rightly never hear the end of
> it. It seemed to me that a high school student's
> graduation -- one day that commemorates four years
> of achievement -- falls into the 'inappropriate'
> category. Of course there were references to
> Donald Trump and the several social justice
> struggles de jour, because that is what graduating
> is all about.
>
> I frequently found my face in my hands because of
> the sheer awkwardness of the stupidity unfolding
> before us. The worst part of all of this is that
> this man decided to make a spectacle of himself
> and his politics instead of focusing on the
> students and their achievements. While Mr.
> McElveen is a man known for incessantly whining
> about marginalizing others, he seemed completely
> oblivious to the fact that he was ignoring and
> undercutting the entire purpose of the ceremony --
> a final opportunity to acknowledge the
> accomplishments of the kids -- to entertain his
> bizarre political and cultural policy preferences.
>
>
> My niece worked hard throughout high school and to
> my knowledge enjoyed herself; she will be going to
> a great school in the fall and has lots to look
> forward to. Still, what a terrible way to
> commemorate a seminal moment in her young life --
> as well as the lives of her classmates. But by
> allowing a speaker to deride the kids for their
> school's name (which has been around since I was a
> kid, from what I've read) and turn their
> graduation into a shameless act of political
> self-promotion, FCPS said goodbye to the
> graduating class not with a wave but with a middle
> finger.
>
> My niece didn't seem too upset when we went to my
> brother's house for her graduation party, but I
> can't help but wonder if her response (which was
> to ignore the theatrics and make the best of a
> strange situation) was the rule of the exception.
> All I can do is hope that in the future, Mr.
> McElveen will learn from his mistakes and show the
> maturity and grace that my niece and her
> classmates did by ignoring the selfish and strange
> behavior surrounding their ceremony and
> appreciating the event for what it was: a
> celebration of them and their achievements.


I do not know the man from Adam, but I do wonder about someone posting at 3 AM. You really seem to be overreacting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Up Early As Well ()
Date: June 22, 2016 06:54AM

night owl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not know the man from Adam, but I do wonder
> about someone posting at 3 AM. You really seem to
> be overreacting.


Trust me, some peoples best work is late and night/early in the morning.

I have to assume that "Upset and confused attendee" does more productive things when the sun is up, but there is a sizeable population that for what ever reason gets woken up during the night and cannot go back to sleep. Most have busy minds and they may drop into the FFU to check in and comment.

I for one, have a freaking 1 year old dog that wakes me up and has for the past year 1-2 times a night for no other reason then it is bored or just restless. Yes, I walk the dog, 2+ miles a day and it get 2+ hours of play with a neighbors dog, the stupid dog is just restless. Once I am awake, I cannot always go back to sleep while thinking through all of the weeks/days events that impact my immediate and extended family. So I often drop into FFU to see what is going on.

Give how well that "Upset and confused attendee" wrote and described the situation, they are not over reacting. I have been a victim of a previous McElveen commencement speech and they just seem to be getting worse over the years with personal and political ideas and agenda that are not appropriate for the kids on their day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Date: June 22, 2016 07:38PM

That would be a stupid move to take down a good school board member.

Ryan McElveen is famous, and in a good way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Vousojgsifhshkfs ()
Date: June 22, 2016 11:23PM

WvJTw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Upset and confused attendee - well stated comments
> above, you should send your comments directly to
> the School Board and Karen Garza.
>
> I happened to attend a graduation a few years ago
> for Langley where McElveen spoke, I specifically
> recall him speaking about the Langley mascot, a
> Saxon and rhetorically stating a Saxon was a white
> person with a funny hat, then speaking to the
> crowd and making a similar reference to the
> student body in the audience. Seemed to be an
> inappropriate statement and a poor attempt at some
> form of joke. But I think in reality it was meant
> as a jab as the schools lack of diversity.
>
> Due the schools location and the cost of housing,
> it by default does lack "students of color",
> however, there is plenty of diversity at the
> school.
>
> Is is strange I remember this 2 years later, yes
> because it was a very awkward a confusing moment
> that McElveen created and was not necessary at a
> commencement speech. Again, some form of attack
> directed at the school and also to make the
> student body feel uncomfortable about something
> they have no real control over and probably were
> proud to be apart of and relate to while they were
> attending the school.
>
> Some things do not change, some actually get worse
> over time!
>
> So sad for the kids.

McElveen went to Marshall, which is a school defined by its resentment of Langley, McLean and Madison. I don't know why you'd think he'd get over that grudge just because he's 29 or 30 now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Fairfax Politico ()
Date: June 22, 2016 11:27PM

Keep in mind this clown only got 17% of the total vote since the at large members on the school board are elect proportionally.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: McElweenie ()
Date: June 23, 2016 12:15AM

That bald headed freak is a piece of shit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: June 23, 2016 12:28AM

Vousojgsifhshkfs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WvJTw Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Upset and confused attendee - well stated
> comments
> > above, you should send your comments directly
> to
> > the School Board and Karen Garza.
> >
> > I happened to attend a graduation a few years
> ago
> > for Langley where McElveen spoke, I
> specifically
> > recall him speaking about the Langley mascot, a
> > Saxon and rhetorically stating a Saxon was a
> white
> > person with a funny hat, then speaking to the
> > crowd and making a similar reference to the
> > student body in the audience. Seemed to be an
> > inappropriate statement and a poor attempt at
> some
> > form of joke. But I think in reality it was
> meant
> > as a jab as the schools lack of diversity.
> >
> > Due the schools location and the cost of
> housing,
> > it by default does lack "students of color",
> > however, there is plenty of diversity at the
> > school.
> >
> > Is is strange I remember this 2 years later,
> yes
> > because it was a very awkward a confusing
> moment
> > that McElveen created and was not necessary at
> a
> > commencement speech. Again, some form of attack
> > directed at the school and also to make the
> > student body feel uncomfortable about something
> > they have no real control over and probably
> were
> > proud to be apart of and relate to while they
> were
> > attending the school.
> >
> > Some things do not change, some actually get
> worse
> > over time!
> >
> > So sad for the kids.
>
> McElveen went to Marshall, which is a school
> defined by its resentment of Langley, McLean and
> Madison. I don't know why you'd think he'd get
> over that grudge just because he's 29 or 30 now.

You mean that asshole is 29 or 30? If he was 22 or 23 his immature bullshit that he plays during the School Board meetings could be justified but any normal person starts maturing after you get out of your teens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: AgreeWithAll ()
Date: June 23, 2016 06:42PM

All that was said at 3:00 am is spot on! Well said and spot on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: lyin' ryan ()
Date: June 23, 2016 06:49PM

Vousojgsifhshkfs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WvJTw Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Upset and confused attendee - well stated
> comments
> > above, you should send your comments directly
> to
> > the School Board and Karen Garza.
> >
> > I happened to attend a graduation a few years
> ago
> > for Langley where McElveen spoke, I
> specifically
> > recall him speaking about the Langley mascot, a
> > Saxon and rhetorically stating a Saxon was a
> white
> > person with a funny hat, then speaking to the
> > crowd and making a similar reference to the
> > student body in the audience. Seemed to be an
> > inappropriate statement and a poor attempt at
> some
> > form of joke. But I think in reality it was
> meant
> > as a jab as the schools lack of diversity.
> >
> > Due the schools location and the cost of
> housing,
> > it by default does lack "students of color",
> > however, there is plenty of diversity at the
> > school.
> >
> > Is is strange I remember this 2 years later,
> yes
> > because it was a very awkward a confusing
> moment
> > that McElveen created and was not necessary at
> a
> > commencement speech. Again, some form of attack
> > directed at the school and also to make the
> > student body feel uncomfortable about something
> > they have no real control over and probably
> were
> > proud to be apart of and relate to while they
> were
> > attending the school.
> >
> > Some things do not change, some actually get
> worse
> > over time!
> >
> > So sad for the kids.
>
> McElveen went to Marshall, which is a school
> defined by its resentment of Langley, McLean and
> Madison. I don't know why you'd think he'd get
> over that grudge just because he's 29 or 30 now.

Not everyone is as bitter and childish as you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: kfkasgjpoweihgqwepoghewpg ()
Date: June 23, 2016 08:42PM

lyin' ryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vousojgsifhshkfs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > WvJTw Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Upset and confused attendee - well stated
> > comments
> > > above, you should send your comments directly
> > to
> > > the School Board and Karen Garza.
> > >
> > > I happened to attend a graduation a few years
> > ago
> > > for Langley where McElveen spoke, I
> > specifically
> > > recall him speaking about the Langley mascot,
> a
> > > Saxon and rhetorically stating a Saxon was a
> > white
> > > person with a funny hat, then speaking to the
> > > crowd and making a similar reference to the
> > > student body in the audience. Seemed to be an
> > > inappropriate statement and a poor attempt at
> > some
> > > form of joke. But I think in reality it was
> > meant
> > > as a jab as the schools lack of diversity.
> > >
> > > Due the schools location and the cost of
> > housing,
> > > it by default does lack "students of color",
> > > however, there is plenty of diversity at the
> > > school.
> > >
> > > Is is strange I remember this 2 years later,
> > yes
> > > because it was a very awkward a confusing
> > moment
> > > that McElveen created and was not necessary
> at
> > a
> > > commencement speech. Again, some form of
> attack
> > > directed at the school and also to make the
> > > student body feel uncomfortable about
> something
> > > they have no real control over and probably
> > were
> > > proud to be apart of and relate to while they
> > were
> > > attending the school.
> > >
> > > Some things do not change, some actually get
> > worse
> > > over time!
> > >
> > > So sad for the kids.
> >
> > McElveen went to Marshall, which is a school
> > defined by its resentment of Langley, McLean
> and
> > Madison. I don't know why you'd think he'd get
> > over that grudge just because he's 29 or 30
> now.
>
> Not everyone is as bitter and childish as you.

So what's your explanation as to McElveen's antics?

Once a ratchet Statesman, always a ratchet Statesman. That school blows.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: June 23, 2016 11:06PM

Upset and confused attendee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The man is an embarrassment. I've lived in
> Mississippi, I've lived in Connecticut; I've had a
> diverse, firsthand look at local politics that
> have been in right-wing and left-wing political
> communities. In most cases, the politics of a
> certain town or county don't affect the local
> school districts to any great extent, and
> rightfully so in my opinion. Fairfax County seems
> to be the sad exception to that rule.
>
> I'm not going to get into my own politics because
> they're irrelevant -- and I think that would be a
> lesson Mr. McElveen would do well to learn from.
> My kids are long out of high school, so I don't
> necessarily have a dog in this fight. But as a
> Fairfax County resident and an uncle to several
> young people still in the county's schools, I can
> say that I am deeply disturbed by the depressing
> and concerning circus I walked into the other day.
>
>
> My oldest niece graduated last week, and she had
> the misfortune of having Mr. McElveen speak to her
> and her class. Most of the speech was narcissistic
> and puerile -- some scatological jokes and forced
> pop culture references marked the address. If I am
> not mistaken, this man is in his 30s, and yet he
> nakedly and cravenly wants to relate to high
> school kids to the point of embracing the lowest
> common denominator, much to the chagrin of
> everyone present. I don't know what's going on
> there psychologically, and frankly I don't want to
> know (I doubt the kids want to know either), but
> this gets worked out privately and on his time,
> not publicly in front of graduates and their
> families on a special day. The county needs better
> vetting on this.
>
> Under normal circumstances, inane,
> attention-seeking behavior would be outrageous in
> and of itself. But the rest of the speech was more
> egregious, as Mr. McElveen spent his time
> launching into an invective against Robert E. Lee,
> a legendary and controversial Virginian who has
> been dead for 150 years. Whatever one's stance is
> on the naming of public places after confederates,
> one would assume that a contemporary public figure
> would have the decency, maturity and discretion to
> understand what is and what is not a proper forum
> for having that discussion. Mr. McElveen lacks
> that decency. Had a conservative graduation
> speaker attacked MLK's record of domestic violence
> and lasciviousness at a hypothetical MLK high
> school , we would rightly never hear the end of
> it. It seemed to me that a high school student's
> graduation -- one day that commemorates four years
> of achievement -- falls into the 'inappropriate'
> category. Of course there were references to
> Donald Trump and the several social justice
> struggles de jour, because that is what graduating
> is all about.
>
> I frequently found my face in my hands because of
> the sheer awkwardness of the stupidity unfolding
> before us. The worst part of all of this is that
> this man decided to make a spectacle of himself
> and his politics instead of focusing on the
> students and their achievements. While Mr.
> McElveen is a man known for incessantly whining
> about marginalizing others, he seemed completely
> oblivious to the fact that he was ignoring and
> undercutting the entire purpose of the ceremony --
> a final opportunity to acknowledge the
> accomplishments of the kids -- to entertain his
> bizarre political and cultural policy preferences.
>
>
> My niece worked hard throughout high school and to
> my knowledge enjoyed herself; she will be going to
> a great school in the fall and has lots to look
> forward to. Still, what a terrible way to
> commemorate a seminal moment in her young life --
> as well as the lives of her classmates. But by
> allowing a speaker to deride the kids for their
> school's name (which has been around since I was a
> kid, from what I've read) and turn their
> graduation into a shameless act of political
> self-promotion, FCPS said goodbye to the
> graduating class not with a wave but with a middle
> finger.
>
> My niece didn't seem too upset when we went to my
> brother's house for her graduation party, but I
> can't help but wonder if her response (which was
> to ignore the theatrics and make the best of a
> strange situation) was the rule of the exception.
> All I can do is hope that in the future, Mr.
> McElveen will learn from his mistakes and show the
> maturity and grace that my niece and her
> classmates did by ignoring the selfish and strange
> behavior surrounding their ceremony and
> appreciating the event for what it was: a
> celebration of them and their achievements.


Perfect. Thanks for spelling it out so eloquently. I had to look up a couple of those words. There is however a couple points I must question. Why didn’t anyone walk out? I guess they were trapped by their students (it was their day). Too bad the kids didn’t walk out. They probably wouldn’t want their parents to get mad. It’s kind of like you all were held hostage.

In the end when you say “all I can do is hope...”, why is that? Can’t you send this in a letter form to the school board or the Wash Post or maybe start a petition seeking some mental health intervention for this guy? Shouldn’t someone do something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Ralph wiggum ()
Date: June 23, 2016 11:34PM

I heard he was gay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: June 23, 2016 11:47PM

Ralph wiggum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard he was gay.


I don’t think that’s illegal anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: RecallThatFool ()
Date: June 24, 2016 12:26AM

He has no children. Most on the Board do not. One click and that really well written can go to all board members and Dr. Garza. Send it! Or any of us can cut and paste it. This guy is in line to take over the board. Quick! Do something!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Upset and confused attendee ()
Date: June 24, 2016 01:24AM

causeican,

I'm glad you feel the same way I do. I did not walk out because I was invited as a guest by my brother and his family. However, I will say that I felt nauseated for the duration of his speech. Had it been one of my sons' graduations, I would have left.

On the political side of thins, I ought to disclose that I am an independent-minded candidate who is usually sympathetic to a great deal of the American left's politics. But this guy was so over-the-top and sanctimonious that I couldn't help but think that he was converting a sizable portion of the audience to Trump, which another poster alluded to as well. The great irony being that McElveen is certainly on the far left of the school board, which isn't exactly a bastion of conservatism to begin with.

The really disgusting aspect of this wasn't just the attention seeking manner of his talk, but that he was totally oblivious to the fact that the event wasn't for him or his agenda; it was for the students. The entire event felt so unprofessional and slapdash that I left with a horrible taste in my mouth. I reached out to the school board and FCPS via email to relay my awful experience to the powers that be. Hopefully this disaster isn't repeated in the future.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recall Ryan McElveen Immediately
Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: June 24, 2016 02:46AM

Ralph wiggum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard he was gay.


I do not believe that he is gay but he stopped developing emotionally when he was 17. As a result, he is temperamentally a child and cannot act like a grown man. More troubling is the fact that his antics with the School Board is no accident because if Clinton wins he will attempt to export his lunacy on a full time basis to the Clinton Education Department.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********  **     **  **         **    **  **     ** 
    **      **   **   **    **    **  **   **     ** 
    **       ** **    **    **     ****    **     ** 
    **        ***     **    **      **     **     ** 
    **       ** **    *********     **     **     ** 
    **      **   **         **      **     **     ** 
    **     **     **        **      **      *******  
This forum powered by Phorum.