HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Slave plantations in Fairfax?
Posted by: Boba Fett ()
Date: June 20, 2016 06:46PM

Does anyone know of any historic plantations in the region that housed slaves? I know Mt.Vernon for one did. What others were there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slave plantations in Fairfax?
Posted by: Plantations Built America ()
Date: June 20, 2016 06:50PM

The George Mason estate that is down off of Harrison Lane in Alexandria.

Don't tell anyone George Mason had slaves - They will change the name to MLK University.

Posted by: obeesh ()
Date: June 20, 2016 07:59PM

Boba Fett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know of any historic plantations in
> the region that housed slaves? I know Mt.Vernon
> for one did. What others were there?

Gatehouse Road.

Posted by: Amazin' Fact ()
Date: June 20, 2016 09:20PM

Little known fact, the first slave owner in what became the United States was himself black.

In 1654 the Northhampton Court told Anthony Johnson (black) that he could keep an indentured servant (John Casor, also black) indefinitely. That made Anthony Johnson the first slave owner in America.

Posted by: slavers ()
Date: June 20, 2016 09:34PM

Thankfully in a few short years George Washington University and George Mason University will be renamed. Fortunately for UVA it was not named Thomas Jefferson University - that would be expensive. In fact, Washington DC should be renamed after it becomes the 51st state. And remove those images of the white slavers from the White House.

Posted by: Well All I Know ()
Date: June 20, 2016 10:09PM

Is that no one in my lineage ever owned a slave..

Libs take note if your family did.. Pay UP! Shake out all your cash, IRA's 401k's and tearfully give it to the First Black person you see..MAN UP!! You Talk the Talk.. Wanting to Change names on schools.. Hypocrites...

DAJAX

Posted by: getoverit ()
Date: June 20, 2016 11:13PM

They will have to change the DC flag as well. It was based on George Washington's family crest. The manor house at Belmont country club in Ashburn still has chain's in the basement with wrist cuffs from the late 1700's. It was owned by Ludwell Lee, son of Richard Henry Lee. If we bitch, judge, and complain and feign indignation enough maybe history will change. OR, maybe we can attempt to learn and understand the past so as not to repeat it. Naw, what fun would that be. Of coarse, my relatives were still living eastern Europe during all of this, so if reparations are ever applied to taxes, I claim exemption due to: I wasn't there and neither were my ancestors.

Posted by: History Buff ()
Date: June 20, 2016 11:39PM

Most land around here did...they were a dime a dozen, just farm equipment of the day..North America got the lowest stock enslaved and exported by superior tribes from the Gold Coast of Africa.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: June 20, 2016 11:44PM

The irony is, that if we forget, we will relive.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: June 21, 2016 12:16AM

Posted by: Queen Sharon ()
Date: June 21, 2016 06:13AM

Taxpayers are my slaves!

Posted by: Dr. Memory ()
Date: June 21, 2016 07:42AM

Woodlawn Plantation, also the site of the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed house that was nearly demolished to make way for 66. River Farm, just down the parkway from Alexandria, once owned by George Washington and now operated by the American Horticultural Society.

Posted by: nog capper ()
Date: June 21, 2016 08:52AM

My brother is looking to pick up a few good slaves if anyone knows of any for sale. He wants three niggers with strong backs and large thighs, no more than 25 years old and not too uppity. He is willing to pay top dollar. He bought five from a man on Rt 1 last year, but he has a large crop this year and can't sell any more. They told me the underground was the place to look and that lots of niggers get traded here.

Posted by: Pappas says ()
Date: June 21, 2016 01:10PM

Fox News Wrote:
> One in Annandale on Wakefield Chapel Rd
>
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic
> le/2006/03/30/AR2006033002339.html

I actually live a couple houses on the other side of that house on Pappas Way in Annandale. There is no records to prove slaves were held their although the Fitzhugh family did indeed owned and resided there.

Posted by: 6HHMK ()
Date: June 21, 2016 01:24PM

OP -- Basically, FFX County, like most of VA and most settled lands was agrarian and so you will find almost anywhere you look -- land which was tended to by slaves.

I recommend checking out the Historical Society of Fairfax County Virgina. All them and tell them you are doing research on the subject. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.fairfaxhistoricalsociety.org/

Posted by: YcNKj ()
Date: June 21, 2016 03:39PM

There are no more plantations worked by slavary. White man did away with that by sacrificing their lives for what is right. But go ahead and forget who made a wrong right. Go ahead and be as dumb as those leading you by your nose. Feel guilty forever and try to pay back something you never owed.

Posted by: Gunlover ()
Date: June 21, 2016 04:26PM

My Great Great Grandfather aka MusketLover wasn't too economical with his nogs. he always had to kill one to get the others attention. He was nogless before he knew it.

Posted by: Too Funny ()
Date: June 21, 2016 04:33PM

Gunlover Wrote:
> My Great Great Grandfather aka MusketLover wasn't
> too economical with his nogs. he always had to
> kill one to get the others attention. He was
> nogless before he knew it.

lol

Posted by: KL6e7 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 05:32PM

Go to Fairfax County Circuit Court, Judges Chambers, and you can see a map showing how many slaves were owned by each property owner in Fairfax.

All those slaves have descendants who are now the most fortunate and God-blessed Blacks in the world.

Posted by: just a question ()
Date: June 21, 2016 06:46PM

Was it lawful to have sex with your female slaves? What would the status be of any children produced by sexual relations between master and slave?

Posted by: Chris M ()
Date: June 21, 2016 09:15PM

Try Sully out in Chantilly, VA. They have nicely preserved Slave quarters and a really informative staff.

Posted by: Tom Jefferson ()
Date: June 21, 2016 09:41PM

nog capper Wrote:
> My brother is looking to pick up a few good slaves
> if anyone knows of any for sale. He wants three
> niggers with strong backs and large thighs, no
> more than 25 years old and not too uppity. He is
> willing to pay top dollar. He bought five from a
> man on Rt 1 last year, but he has a large crop
> this year and can't sell any more. They told me
> the underground was the place to look and that
> lots of niggers get traded here.

Good luck getting any work out of them. God's laziest creatures! I went bankrupt feeding and housing dozens of these sloths who never worked a day in their lives.

Posted by: Momomo ()
Date: June 21, 2016 09:48PM

just a question Wrote:
> Was it lawful to have sex with your female slaves?
> What would the status be of any children produced
> by sexual relations between master and slave?

suspected that Mrs. Obama’s white ancestors belonged to the white Shields family that had owned her great-great-great-grandmother, Melvinia Shields. So I persuaded several descendants of the black and white Shields to do DNA testing.
The results showed that the two families were related. The DNA testing indicated that Melvinia’s owner’s son was the likely father of Melvinia’s biracial child, Dolphus Shields. (Dolphus Shields is the first lady’s great-great-grandfather.)
But last month, members of both sides of the family — black and white — put aside the pain of the past. They got together for the very first time in Rex, Georgia, at a ceremony to commemorate Melvinia’s life. They swapped family stories, posed for photographs, exchanged phone numbers and had a meal together.

Ancestry.com

Posted by: Need An Answer ()
Date: June 22, 2016 02:52AM

nog capper Wrote:
> My brother is looking to pick up a few good slaves
> if anyone knows of any for sale. He wants three
> niggers with strong backs and large thighs, no
> more than 25 years old and not too uppity. He is
> willing to pay top dollar. He bought five from a
> man on Rt 1 last year, but he has a large crop
> this year and can't sell any more. They told me
> the underground was the place to look and that
> lots of niggers get traded here.

Is he looking for male or female? If he is looking for females I have a few that meet your description.

Posted by: just saying ()
Date: June 25, 2016 10:20PM

-Was it lawful to have sex with your female ------slaves? What would the status be of any children -produced by sexual relations between master and -slave?

The general rule was the 7/8s rule. You had to be 7/8s white to be white. So it would take at least 4 generations of marrying whites to make the mixed girl white. However, Virginia passed a "one drop rule" in the early 17 hundreds. It surmised that if one drop of black blood was in you, you couldn't ever use all white facilities.

Posted by: Congressman Gerry ()
Date: June 26, 2016 08:52AM

I consider the entirely of Fairfax County to be my plantation, and all you working stiffs are my slaves! Now STFU and get back to work bringing me more tax money to send to ISIS!

Posted by: cJbDG ()
Date: June 27, 2016 08:38AM

cJbDG

Posted by: twvGP ()
Date: June 27, 2016 08:51PM

had one and lost it. it was meade's fault.

Posted by: FFValllum ()
Date: June 28, 2016 12:57PM

slave plantations?

I think they are just simply called plantations. Fairfax County was part of the Tidewater landed Gentry area . There were numerous plantations in Fairfax- many have been torn down. Most were built by Robert "King Carter".

Mount Vernon is the most famous farm probably. Fairfax County could accomodate wheat and tobacco. The climate was not good for cotton, which grew a bit further South in the areas east of Richmond.

Of course there is also 'Arlington House- a perfect example of the Greek Revival period. It was owned by the Lee-Custis family. Now sits in the middle of Arlington National Cemetery.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.