HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Horseback riding Lessons
Posted by: GreatFalls Mom ()
Date: August 03, 2009 02:49PM

Can anyone recommend good horse back riding school in the Great Falls area?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Horseback riding Lessons
Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: August 03, 2009 03:34PM

Rasheed Nurse used to offer them.

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: August 03, 2009 03:41PM

Rock Creek Park has an Equestrian Center.

Posted by: GreatFalls Mom ()
Date: August 03, 2009 04:36PM

Huntington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rock Creek Park has an Equestrian Center.

Thank you!

Posted by: haha ()
Date: August 03, 2009 04:56PM

itrade, +1 for local reference, i lol

Posted by: VA Horseback Rider ()
Date: August 04, 2009 12:48AM

I started horseback riding in this area almost 20 years ago. It is shocking to see the number of lesson barns and stables that have shut down due to development, taxes and liability. Kids are losing out on an extraordinary opportunity to learn a lot from riding and being around horses.

If your kids are just starting out, check out Woodlawn Stables in Alexandria, VA. Criswood Stables is another good barn, as is Barranda Ridge in Fairfax Station. Google them, and you'll find their contact info. Also, check out www.virginiaequestrian.com. They have a free-posting classified section where you can look for, and post, ads for lessons and training. Good luck!

Posted by: VARider ()
Date: August 04, 2009 12:50AM

Rock Creek Park Equestrian Center would not be convenient or suitable for the type of lesson program you're looking for, heard mixed reviews from other riders in the area. Check out Twin Oaks Stables in Chantilly, off Gum Spring Road.

Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: August 04, 2009 12:51AM

VA Horseback Rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I started horseback riding in this area almost 20
> years ago. It is shocking to see the number of
> lesson barns and stables that have shut down due
> to development, taxes and liability. Kids are
> losing out on an extraordinary opportunity to
> learn a lot from riding and being around horses.
>
> If your kids are just starting out, check out
> Woodlawn Stables in Alexandria, VA. Criswood
> Stables is another good barn, as is Barranda Ridge
> in Fairfax Station. Google them, and you'll find
> their contact info. Also, check out
> www.virginiaequestrian.com. They have a
> free-posting classified section where you can look
> for, and post, ads for lessons and training. Good
> luck!

DONT DO IT! those are all rape barns! run, run away and dont stop!

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: August 04, 2009 12:59AM

I don't know if Madiera only provides lessons for the students of Madiera, or not, but do know that it is extremely expensive.

It is worth calling and asking about, though.

Posted by: Juterr ()
Date: August 04, 2009 02:43AM

The Electric Horseman I presume

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: August 04, 2009 12:06PM

Kinda odd nobody mentioned the equestrian center at Frying Pan Park. My sister took lessons there iirc.

Posted by: BagODonuts ()
Date: August 04, 2009 02:59PM

I'd stay away from the Commonwealth Park equestrian facility in Culpeper. Place is practically made of kryptonite.

Posted by: VA Rider ()
Date: August 04, 2009 04:01PM

Frying Pan Park is just a Fairfax County Park where riders and trainers can bring their horses to use the park facilities to train. They don't keep horses there, nor do they offer lessons.

Posted by: VA Rider ()
Date: August 04, 2009 04:10PM

"DONT DO IT! those are all rape barns! run, run away and dont stop!"

What do you mean? Pretty slanderous words. For beginner riders who aren't planning on competing or going beyond advanced level riding, these barns are fine for simple saddle time and getting down the basics. Depends on the ages of the kids. Most parents in this area get their kids started at those barns with basic riding lessons. If they show any promise, or interest, they can always move on to more focused barns, or ownership and semi-private or private training.

Let's hope you're not one of those "equi-snobs" who has an attitude, but can't ride more than what is worth a pile of muck and just talks trash about local barns trying to keep afloat in this dwindling community of equestrian opportunities. If you don't like those barns, then where do you suggest Great Falls Mom goes?

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: August 04, 2009 04:21PM

this was really difficult. I need a break now.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=b2ie7&p=equestrian+lessons+northern+VA&SpellState=n-1750238613_q-Quf7xUxUYedYZ78rpcrMEQAAAA%40%40&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: August 04, 2009 06:44PM

Well, you can always try Patty's Riding Stables in Burke.

Oops, it closed in the late 1960s.

Posted by: Loretta ()
Date: September 25, 2009 10:00PM

Hi,

I was googling and ran across this so I thought I'd write a note. I offer lessons at my private barn in Great Falls. I primarily teach kids. I call it the Naturally Safe Horsemanship program. I am all about safety, as I am a trail rider and know first hand of the hazards out there. I teach the kids about herd behavior, how to 'read' the horse's body language, and how to 'talk' to the horse using body language.

As far as riding goes I teach a method that develops a very safe, secure seat. With that, they could go on to do anything. I do teach kids that are interested and at the right level, how to trail ride. I have access to 400+ acres of QUIET parkland. :O)

I'm not the right one for someone with a lot of experience who wants to compete. I can however, take a beginner child to a lead line, short stirrup or low fence show.

My website is: http://www.2020horsemanship.com

I've lived in Great Falls for 17 years now, my kids all go to school here. I can also provide several references .

Good luck & happy trails!

Loretta

Posted by: dfjkgh ()
Date: October 19, 2009 06:46AM

I need to find a place in virginia that gives horseback riding lessons.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: October 19, 2009 09:48AM

Adult Detention Center...

Posted by: TrueEquie ()
Date: February 14, 2011 02:39PM

Around the great falls area, you say?
Barranda Ridge closed down, it was for a reason, because the owner was not very responsible. There are some great farms out near middleburg and aldie, if your willing to travel that far. Bonnie Brae Farm is great! No website though, its a shame. Also, theres a farm called Angelica Run out near Fairfax City thats pretty good.

Posted by: TrueEquie ()
Date: February 14, 2011 02:41PM

Oh, and also: Frying Pan Park does now offer riding lessons, not just Spirit Open Program as of 2011. Google it, and check out the official website.

Posted by: equser ()
Date: February 15, 2011 08:29AM

Have occassionally wondered why women like horseback riding so much.
I have a theory involving the motion, the pommel and friction --
anyone esle?

Posted by: Judi De Michele ()
Date: March 24, 2011 11:09AM

Horseback riding is a really great sport but it is dangerous and lessons should not be taken at a barn because of it's location. The barn has to be right for what you are looking for, safety first but value also. Knowing the price of something is very different from knowing the value of something. Look for a certified instructor, look for experience and a clean well organized facility, LOOK AT THE HORSES are they well fed, happy animals. Check out other people riding at that barn. There is no such thing as being ONLY A BEGINNER that is when you learn good technique or bad technique and it is really really really hard to correct bad technique after it is in place.

Posted by: Ryno78 ()
Date: March 24, 2011 09:45PM

Don't let her read this!
Attachments:
funny-book-titles-15.jpg

Posted by: Mike Keller ()
Date: October 09, 2011 06:50PM

Hi GMU Hokie, I was a camper at Patty's Riding School in the late '50s. Were you a camper or did you take lessons? Thanks! Mike

Posted by: hadenuf ()
Date: October 09, 2011 07:01PM

try affinity in aldie. Great bunch of riders there. family orientated and gentle horses for new riders

Posted by: Bullwinkle ()
Date: November 03, 2011 09:57PM

For beginners, both kids (8+) and adults, Woodlawn Stables is the place to go. It's located on the north edge of Ft. Belvoir in south FFXco. Great place to get your feet wet in the equestrian arts. So close to the city makes it a suburban gem.

I'm a guy who started riding there as a beginner 10+ years ago (never on a horse before, aside from pony rides at the fair). I'm still learning a lot, but with riding, you never stop learning.

Word of warning, though, if you think riding is easy then it's not going to meet your expectations. The reason many men in this country think riding is a "woman's thing" is because every boy grows up thinking he's a cowboy and could just jump on that horse and show it a thing or two... good luck with that!

Anyway, check out Woodlawn Stables if you want an excellent place to learn to ride.

Posted by: In Mclean/Great Falls ()
Date: November 04, 2011 01:11PM

First place I'd say go to is Shadybrook Stables off of Towlston Road. Its in the Mclean/Great Falls area of Fairfax.

"I ride a horse. I ride a horse backwards."

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.