HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Locksmiths/Gold Locksmith
Posted by: Mike N ()
Date: June 07, 2016 09:07PM

Never use!! Ripoff/Fraud Alert!!

Gold Locksmith of Arlington VA

2133 N Taft St
Arlington, VA 22201

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gold-locksmith-arlington

Will strait lie to you on price, then act like they are doing a favor in reducing a price that was already nearly 4 times the price quoted.

Called due to keys locked in car (dropped out of pocket when getting out of car). I was quoted $34 + $19 call out charge.

Guy gets there 10 minutes late, then starts to stick equipment in door frame. After inserting asks how much I was quoted I said 34+ the call out fee. He responds saying it "starts at $34 dollars and goes up". I immediately ask how much and I get $180 as the price.

I immediately refuse, and state again what I was quoted. Guy says he will waive the call out fee...yeah big relief, but he cannot drop any lower.

I tell him he can pull it out and leave then. He then drops to 160.
I respond that a still inaccurate to their quote but comparable price was $60 from another locksmith's quote. says he can drop to 150 but no more. I respond with I can go to $80, he ponders & drops to 120, I say $100 but he cannot go back with less.

I contemplate for a moment, then agree to the price. (had to be at a meeting in less than an hour. (would tell him to hit the road if not under time constraints).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Locksmiths/Gold Locksmith
Posted by: Hey Pal ()
Date: June 07, 2016 09:54PM

A 30 minute 20 mile cab ride will cost ya 50 dollars around here.. You want a tradesman to come out in a van full of tools and provide you a service for 10 bucks and a tip..Right..LOL.

Now in Fairness to you, was it day or night,or a weekend..Services are cheapest during normal working days and more at all other times.

I would say 80 dollars around here would be about the norm, for a lockout during the day. up to double at night or weekends. And Yes they should have giving you a Honest Quote, No likes being Surprised by the Bill..

HVAC, Plumbers, Electricians are different, They ask for a price to come out and that covers a 1/4 time, like 90 dollars , after that its by the hour.

You would be surprised how much hour a company has to charge in this area especially if Service Trucks or Cars are used. 18- 25 dollars a hour up for basic labor , plus cost of Social Security, benefits, uniforms, insurance..Ya Ya It goes on and on..match of a 40k K..Obama Care..Time wasted on calls where people got in themselves and left...Traffic jams.. Small Business is not as easy as working for the Gubment that's For Dammed sure..

DAJAX

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: June 07, 2016 10:00PM

Are you sure you didn't call Nigger Locksmith by mistake?

You should have let him open it then paid the quoted price. Are you a pussy?

Date: June 07, 2016 11:40PM

Literally middle of the day. It's mostly the bait and switch that royally pissed me off. If you have x price due to specialty, odd hours, tools, labor, fuel, scarcity, etc whatever that fine.

Date: June 07, 2016 11:42PM

130 seconds of work, <15 minutes on site.

Posted by: Terrance Troy ()
Date: June 08, 2016 01:43AM

Gold locksmith is the best locksmith in the metro area by far. Sounds like the OP on this thread is a complete cockstretch and a ignorant fuck.

Posted by: PYMxe ()
Date: June 08, 2016 06:17AM

They learned this from the Federal contractors. "Oh yeah, we can build that for $30 million." "You went over budget." "It starts at $30 million. You wanted wings right?"

Posted by: MuKHj ()
Date: June 08, 2016 07:07AM

next time this happens to you, walk over to the nearest dry cleaning place, ask for a coat hanger and take care of this yourself. or look around for ground marker flags and use that.

Posted by: WPMvm ()
Date: June 08, 2016 11:54AM

Mike N Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never use!! Ripoff/Fraud Alert!!
>
> Gold Locksmith of Arlington VA
>
> 2133 N Taft St
> Arlington, VA 22201
>
> https://www.yelp.com/biz/gold-locksmith-arlington
>
>
> Will strait lie to you on price, then act like
> they are doing a favor in reducing a price that
> was already nearly 4 times the price quoted.
>
> Called due to keys locked in car (dropped out of
> pocket when getting out of car). I was quoted $34
> + $19 call out charge.
>
> Guy gets there 10 minutes late, then starts to
> stick equipment in door frame. After inserting
> asks how much I was quoted I said 34+ the call out
> fee. He responds saying it "starts at $34 dollars
> and goes up". I immediately ask how much and I get
> $180 as the price.
>
> I immediately refuse, and state again what I was
> quoted. Guy says he will waive the call out
> fee...yeah big relief, but he cannot drop any
> lower.
>
> I tell him he can pull it out and leave then. He
> then drops to 160.
> I respond that a still inaccurate to their quote
> but comparable price was $60 from another
> locksmith's quote. says he can drop to 150 but no
> more. I respond with I can go to $80, he ponders &
> drops to 120, I say $100 but he cannot go back
> with less.
>
> I contemplate for a moment, then agree to the
> price. (had to be at a meeting in less than an
> hour. (would tell him to hit the road if not under
> time constraints).

tell him to leave the property, without pay, and if he does leave quickly you'll call the police

you did nothing wrong, your intuition they lied "that you did not have a contract past $55" is correct

Posted by: XwFTd ()
Date: June 08, 2016 11:56AM

p.s.

allot of service people will do free estimates for jobs that will cost say $200

i know because i know someone who abuses that trust by asking for free estimates just to plug the person for advice on how to DiY (totally disgusting behavior do NOT do that to other people)

Posted by: Road Side Assistance? ()
Date: June 08, 2016 01:58PM

Maybe you haven't heard about it yet but most auto insurance policies have what is know as road side assistance coverage that handle things of this nature. Give Flo a call, for like 2 bucks a month they will send someone out when ever you do stupid things like lock your keys in your car...

Posted by: lock smith ()
Date: June 11, 2016 09:13AM

You are getting exactly what you deserve. All the legitimate service people, of which I consider myself one, don't do this type of service anymore because tubesteaks like you wont pay the $90 fee that we require to stay in business. It was always a flat fee with professional service and no surprise's. How long do you think it takes to get to you in DC traffic? And yes, it takes a minute or two in most cases because we know our job. But when we get a difficult car we still charge the same. The fee covers transportation cost (vehicle, insurance, fuel ect) taxes, liability insurance, on and on. My locksmith license is $750 every two years. At the end of the day, we have to make a living. But noooo, you call someone for $34 and $19 travel fee. So you think your saving $37 dollars and end up with a $180 dollar bill, a service technician with questionable ethics(and you idiots let these guys into your homes too) and then want to whine about the service you created. By the way, these guys all sub from the brick and morter business's. It's a small group of scumbags that cover the whole region and work for themselves. I've tested this. I got the same two guys for 5 different companies that I called as a test. It's only going to get worse. So save that $37 dollars. You're going to earn it.

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: June 11, 2016 02:25PM

tl;dr

Posted by: Liquidat1on ()
Date: August 18, 2020 02:53PM

To be honest, many lockout services are incompetent in their work. I often use these services because none of the masters can completely fix my door. Everyone just takes my money and pretends it works but it doesn't. I turned to many services like those that are advertised on the Internet and in fact they do not know how to do anything, but the prices for their services can be compared to the brand Balenciaga sneakers. It's incredibly expensive and almost never effective, so it's easier to get the tools and fix the damn door yourself

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 18, 2020 03:37PM

FYI to all:

All locksmiths licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia (you will note the word "licensed"... not everyone working as a locksmith is licensed which is in violation of the law) must carry, and be prepared to produce to a customer, his / her VADCJS ID card.

I believe MD and DC have similar laws on the books (but I do not know for sure).

Ask for the card. If they don't produce it then call the police. This action usually fixes unreasonable price fixing...

Posted by: Wfvvh ()
Date: August 18, 2020 04:25PM

Mike O'Meara Show Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you sure you didn't call Nigger Locksmith by
> mistake?
>
> You should have let him open it then paid the
> quoted price. Are you a pussy?

Yes, this guy gets it! A+.

Posted by: Connker ()
Date: September 17, 2020 03:50AM

Hello, my friend! You know this is unbelievable how people can be greedy. I understand you perfectly. Even though I am a locksmith for many years I would never proceed the same way. I am so sorry about this situation. I think that there a people who fought at least once to start a career as a locksmith so check the following site: https://www.howtobecomealocksmith.org/. Today you are closer than ever to this opportunity. So all you need to do in order to start your career as a locksmith is just to access the site mentioned above.
I hope you are gonna proceed differently than that locksmith described in this post.
I wish you the best and have a wonderful day!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 01:49PM by Connker.

Posted by: gdxhgf ()
Date: October 15, 2020 08:49AM

I lost the keys to a closet door in my home, and https://grlocksmith.ca/ got it open in under 5 minutes. He was courteous, timely, and respectful.

Posted by: Nicollet ()
Date: April 06, 2022 11:05AM

Well! Anyway you might need a locksmith service for that locksmith east london In case you do not want to see your ex anymore entering your flat, you have not took back your keys from him or her, or you might need to enter your flat or his flat to take back your stuff. Anyway you might need it, but try to break up calm way

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.