HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
My Plumber
Posted by: ee ()
Date: June 02, 2016 11:23AM

Just had some clown from my plumber give me $1,000 quote to unclog a drain. After I told him to take a hike it was $550 when I laughed and said get Manager on the phone he said $375. Basically I told him to get lost. Are there any reasonable plumbers in the Centreville area

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Plumber
Posted by: diy its easy ()
Date: June 02, 2016 11:37AM

Just do it yourself,

If its a sink use one of these,

blow-bag-sm.jpg

If it's just a toilet or immediate drain, use a small snake you can buy one for under $20.

If its a main drain, you can rent a motorized snake from Home Depot in Fairfax Circle and a few others rent them out.

Posted by: ee ()
Date: June 02, 2016 01:13PM

Appreciate the help. It is a double kitchen sink with disposal on one side. But disposal is working fine. Does that make a difference?

Posted by: EmNjM ()
Date: June 02, 2016 01:19PM

ee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Appreciate the help. It is a double kitchen sink
> with disposal on one side. But disposal is working
> fine. Does that make a difference?

it should be a common drain for both sinks. if one side drains fine, but the other doesn't, the clog is most likely in the u-shaped catch underneath the clogged sink.

put a bucket under it and unscrew it. one side of the U has a nut/ring, the other is probably just an insert. loosen, pull it off and clean it out. if there is nothing in it, the clog is either in the straight piece going up to the sink, or the bit of pipe going toward the drain.

you shouldn't even need tools for this, aside from the bucket and maybe a coat hanger.

Posted by: Plumeroligist ()
Date: June 02, 2016 01:21PM

Try Home Service Doctors -plumerologist- new to me but they helped me fix my probs they are apparently trying to build a base of customers

Posted by: iLester. ()
Date: June 02, 2016 01:24PM

Plumberologist - think they're in Manassas and Centreville.

Otherwise, H&S Plumbing (Herndon) or Wacker Plumbing (Sterling).

Posted by: joe leaks ()
Date: June 02, 2016 01:25PM

we've all been in HD to see there are two kinds of "draino" and several kinds of snakes / tapes

if its toilet paper (TP) then wait hours before attempting to flush again, the water itself will soften/destroy the clog

Posted by: 3kDLe ()
Date: June 02, 2016 01:26PM

from the anals of plumbology

Posted by: diy its easy ()
Date: June 02, 2016 01:30PM

Yep, pretty much what "EmNjM" said.

Since you're going to have the U shaped catch out, you may as well blast it with a blow bag (thing in picture), they work great. Get a hose (use an hose adapter with your kitchen sink, if you don't have access to one from outside) stick it in the drain, turn on the water and it will inflate blasting everything through. They cost less than $10 at home depot.

how-to-unclog-a-drain-pic3.jpg

Posted by: hoe moaner ()
Date: June 02, 2016 01:31PM

ee Wrote:
> Just had some clown from my plumber give me $1,000
> quote to unclog a drain. After I told him to take
> a hike it was $550 when I laughed and said get
> Manager on the phone he said $375. Basically I
> told him to get lost. Are there any reasonable
> plumbers in the Centreville area

Duvall's plummbing in Manassas. They are a small family company not a screwjob outfit.

Posted by: xx9xy ()
Date: June 02, 2016 01:44PM

ee Wrote:
> Appreciate the help. It is a double kitchen sink
> with disposal on one side. But disposal is working
> fine. Does that make a difference?

I had the exact same problem last month. The disposal side was fine but the other side was slow even though they both drain to the same place. The clog was not in the U-trap, it was some fibrous crap stuck in the short piece of pipe going from the drain for the non-disposal side to the top of the U-trap.

The trap is designed to disassemble without tools. Disassembly, clearing the clog, washing out the trap (it wasn't clogged, but since I had it apart…), reassembling, and checking for leaks took less than ten minutes. It was moving all the crap out of the cabinet, finding a tub to put under the trap, and moving everything back in that was a pain in the ass.

Posted by: Seinfeld fou (4) ()
Date: June 03, 2016 07:02AM

One of your pickle gobbling relatives probably tried to dispose of rice in the sink. Both uncooked and cooked rice should be put in the trash. Most times people are just too stupid and have to be told basic things to live their lives without being bubble wrapped!

Posted by: DJEju ()
Date: June 04, 2016 12:12PM

DJEju

Posted by: Connker ()
Date: October 16, 2020 11:59AM

I often faced with such arrogant plumbers, too. I was even offered a price of $1,500 to clean the sewer. I told them goodbye and went to find another plumber. By the way, I can ask my friend if he can help you. Just he recently moved to the Centreville area. And he told me that he recruited a lot of good plumbers who graduated from some cool College. There seems to be a lot of information about this College on this site. I don't know If he has changed his price list yet, early he did sewer cleaning for $100.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 10:51AM by Connker.

Posted by: From a small bird ()
Date: October 16, 2020 12:20PM

Have used Cardinal Plumbing a few times over the last two years. Competent and timely. A little expensive but not outrageous. Plumbers have to cover their liability insurance.

The most outrageously expensive plumbers are those that advertise on TV with their customers covering those costs.

Posted by: avoid all advertisers ()
Date: October 16, 2020 01:46PM

Never purchase any services you see or hear advertised on TV and radio, especially WTOP. The costs for advertising are astronomical and guess who ultimately pays?

Posted by: PaulReidGkG ()
Date: October 26, 2020 03:29AM

Connker Wrote:
I often faced with such arrogant plumbers, too. I was even offered a price of $1,500 to clean the sewer. I told them goodbye and went to find another plumber. By the way, I can ask my friend if he can help you. Just he recently moved to the Centreville area. And he told me that he recruited a lot of good plumbers who graduated from some cool College. There seems to be a lot of information about this College on this site. I don't know If he has changed his price list yet, early he did sewer cleaning for $100.

Could you tell me some more information about it? Let’s talk in PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2020 03:31AM by PaulReidGkG.

Posted by: Sophia777 ()
Date: April 12, 2022 04:58PM

Unfortunately, you can meet such people everywhere. There is alsways someone who wants to fool you and make money on you.

Posted by: Frank7788 ()
Date: April 13, 2022 06:02PM

I faced this issue twice, though in different countries. The first case happened when I was at home and needed to repair a faucet. Another one was in Canada when I found out that a pipe was leaking and it was at night. I called one company and was shocked by their prices. Fortunately, I didn't agree and addressed https://plumberbramptonpro.ca/ These guys came in 20 minutes, did the work fast, and the price was affordable. After those cases, I prefer checking other people's reviews before addressing this or that company.

Posted by: DIE SPAMMER!!!!! ()
Date: October 11, 2022 12:15PM

Eat shit and die spammer
Attachments:
_steamy.gif
_steamy.gif

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.