HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
RAPIDPASS VIRGINIA
Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: May 28, 2016 11:10AM

What is it?

I got some letter from them in the mail. They say if I pay them $28.00 they will give me verification of emissions inspection.

Supposedly they observed my cars preformance on the road way and my cars emissions data was observed. I looked at their website.

https://rapidpass.org/VaPublic/

Is this a hoax?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RAPIDPASS VIRGINIA
Posted by: CnNWP ()
Date: May 28, 2016 11:47AM

Nope, it's not a hoax. It saves you from having to drive to a station and get the test ($28 either way). They're set up on the ramps of 66 all the time. Little green boxes with a van parked there recording license numbers. If it's time to renew your registration this saves you a bit of hassle.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: May 28, 2016 12:00PM

CnNWP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nope, it's not a hoax. It saves you from having
> to drive to a station and get the test ($28 either
> way). They're set up on the ramps of 66 all the
> time. Little green boxes with a van parked there
> recording license numbers. If it's time to renew
> your registration this saves you a bit of hassle.

Do they sell my info to the N. Korea and Russia?

Posted by: yTkVW ()
Date: May 28, 2016 12:10PM

This is legit, the program has been in testing for years, just recently rolled out.

Part of the testing is weather dependent, but the equipment is moved around often and they even list where and when the equipment will be placed if you want to specifically drive through the equipment for testing purposes.

It saves you time and effort going for an Emission Inspection. Mater of fact you are more likely to pass with RapidPass because you can have problems with the SES/CEL/MIL on and/or Emission Readiness Monitors not in a Pass or Clear state and as long as the exhaust is clean enough, you pass. If you went to a station for Emission Inspection and the SES/CEL/MIL was on and/or some or all of the Emission Readiness Monitors were not clear then you would not pass!!

Used RadidPass and save headaches.

Posted by: Hmmm... ()
Date: May 28, 2016 12:10PM

Russia and North Korea can get all the info they need from your Facebook page.

Posted by: where is it located? ()
Date: May 28, 2016 02:12PM

Which ramp off 66?

My car would pass a rolling inspection but not an actual one due to my tune throwing codes

Posted by: mTGH4 ()
Date: May 28, 2016 04:25PM

Posted by: Grease.Monkey ()
Date: May 28, 2016 05:32PM

where is it located? Wrote:
> Which ramp off 66?
>
> My car would pass a rolling inspection but not an
> actual one due to my tune throwing codes

RapidPass catches codes, too actually...I know because it caught mine.

Posted by: where is it located? ()
Date: May 28, 2016 05:35PM

Grease.Monkey Wrote:
> where is it located? Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Which ramp off 66?
> >
> > My car would pass a rolling inspection but not
> an
> > actual one due to my tune throwing codes
>
> RapidPass catches codes, too actually...I know
> because it caught mine.

I don't see how that's possible. If you're throwing codes and polluting more I can see. Unless they are using l33t h4x and doing a millisecond remote OBD scan as you drive past it

Posted by: 4Cy3G ()
Date: May 28, 2016 07:58PM

Grease.Monkey Wrote:
> where is it located? Wrote:
> -----
> > Which ramp off 66?
> >
> > My car would pass a rolling inspection but not
> an
> > actual one due to my tune throwing codes
>
> RapidPass catches codes, too actually...I know
> because it caught mine.

RapidPass cannot catch codes, determine if the SES/CEL/MIL is on or if there are any Emission Readiness Monitors that are not in a Clear or Pass state.

Sorry, the only way they can determine the majority of this is by connecting up to the OBDII connector under the dash.

With a camera they MIGHT be able to determine if the SES/CEL/MIL, but you could easily cover the light and a camera might not be able to determine if the light is on.

As long as the exhaust is clean enough for the model year, you pass assuming there was a good enough exhaust sample.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: May 28, 2016 08:08PM

Yeah, CEL is a scam anyway. One that automakers abuse with outrageous prices for O2 sensors. Time for our government to stop providing the means for car makers to fleece us. If our exhaust is clean then its clean and thats that.

Posted by: W7hjw ()
Date: May 28, 2016 08:16PM

OBDII is actually a very helpful and useful system. O2 sensors are far more reliable that most people realize. Replacement O2 sensors are between $45 and usually $120 depending if they are Narrow Band or Wide Band design.

Kind of ironic we are moving back to a remove tailpipe test of the emissions. System can be clean enough to pass with problems still present.

I think they should require the vehicle to visit a shop at least every 2 years, but nobody asked my opinion!

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: May 28, 2016 08:23PM

I took it into a shop and needed an O2 sensor with a CEL light on. The crook mechanic told me I needed new CAT's that would cost 2000 dollars oem but he could have the CEL light off with aftermarket CAT's for 500 bucks.

I told him to fuck off. Turns out it was nothing more than an O2 sensor and he was trying to run a scam.

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: May 28, 2016 09:32PM

So one of the flaws in the "system" is how they position the vehicle at the various on/off ramps under the guise of a "Survey Crew" near neighborhoods - and if the car was just started and not up to operating temperature, it more than likely will fail the "test". Then what?

Then what, is you get a letter and you have to get your vehicle formally tested. That's a bunch of nonsense.

So Virginia sold you out to a system which isn't necessarily a better cost solution, and understood while it might save time for some, it comes at the expense of others... Amazing.

Posted by: U3jhT ()
Date: May 28, 2016 09:38PM

OBDII is a very good system, the "average" mechanics that works on cars daily are generally idiots and do not understand OBDII and how powerful the system is.

O2 sensors RARELY trigger codes unless the heater circuit has failed. I find bad O2 sensors all the time that NEVER trigger a code.

90% of the time if a sensor is mentioned in a code, mechanics will replace the sensor mentioned, however, 90% of the time the sensor mentioned in the code is not a problem.

90% of the mechanics do not use their heads and think about what they are doing or should be doing. Even if they are ASE Certified, this does not mean they really understand what they are doing.

Kind of a sad situation, but this is reality.

There are very few good mechanics in the industry, if you find a good one, you are lucky.

Posted by: UkED4 ()
Date: June 04, 2016 01:04PM

UkED4

Posted by: D Man ()
Date: March 30, 2017 08:49AM

does the rapidpass monitor the loudness level of your exhaust too?

Posted by: Fantom.Shitter ()
Date: March 30, 2017 10:28AM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> So one of the flaws in the "system" is how they
> position the vehicle at the various on/off ramps
> under the guise of a "Survey Crew" near
> neighborhoods - and if the car was just started
> and not up to operating temperature, it more than
> likely will fail the "test". Then what?
>
> Then what, is you get a letter and you have to get
> your vehicle formally tested. That's a bunch of
> nonsense.
>
> So Virginia sold you out to a system which isn't
> necessarily a better cost solution, and understood
> while it might save time for some, it comes at the
> expense of others... Amazing.

Shut the fuck up and stop running false flag ops and circulating bad information...

The system is equipped with IR sensors that measure the temperature of the emissions. If your vehicle is not up to operating temperature, then you will not receive a pass but, the system will not fail you either.

Posted by: Some of them are on a downhill ()
Date: March 30, 2017 11:27AM

Yesterday I went past one on the section of Rolling Rd that is now called the Fairfax County Parkway, north of Saratoga. The sensor was set up on an on-ramp that was slightly downhill. It was very easy to coast through it. However my car is registered outside the zone where emissions testing is required.

Date: March 30, 2017 11:31AM

Fantom.Shitter Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> -----
> > So one of the flaws in the "system" is how they
> > position the vehicle at the various on/off
> ramps
> > under the guise of a "Survey Crew" near
> > neighborhoods - and if the car was just started
> > and not up to operating temperature, it more
> than
> > likely will fail the "test". Then what?
> >
> > Then what, is you get a letter and you have to
> get
> > your vehicle formally tested. That's a bunch of
> > nonsense.
> >
> > So Virginia sold you out to a system which
> isn't
> > necessarily a better cost solution, and
> understood
> > while it might save time for some, it comes at
> the
> > expense of others... Amazing.
>
> Shut the fuck up and stop running false flag ops
> and circulating bad information...
>
> The system is equipped with IR sensors that
> measure the temperature of the emissions. If your
> vehicle is not up to operating temperature, then
> you will not receive a pass but, the system will
> not fail you either.

Really? Is that how the system works? No. It's not. But keep playing...

"emissions" does not have a "temperature", and a vehicle must be operating in "closed loop" vs. open loop, and such.

I'll give an example of when and where the testing will do an injustice:

Say I live 2 blocks from 123 and the Parkway. I fire up my car, hit the gas, and go... On the ramp, they are "testing", so I drive through. My car is still in "open loop", and not up to operating temps. What's going to happen?

Emissions tests (roller type) always reminded the inspector to ensure the vehicle was up to temperature. A cold engine runs different parameters for fueling, as the oxygen senses haven't come into play yet.

Again, where the failsafe I don't get dinged for "polluting" just because I live close to where these rackets are set-up?

Posted by: What does it matter? ()
Date: March 30, 2017 11:44AM

Nobody gets "dinged for polluting" if they don't pass the Rapidpass test. It just means you need to get tested at the gas station. The cost is the same, and all cars need an annual safety inspection anyway, so there is not even an extra trip required.

The only difference is that if you don't pass, your safety inspection takes an extra 5-10 minutes to check emissions.

Date: March 30, 2017 11:59AM

What does it matter? Wrote:
> Nobody gets "dinged for polluting" if they don't
> pass the Rapidpass test. It just means you need
> to get tested at the gas station. The cost is the
> same, and all cars need an annual safety
> inspection anyway, so there is not even an extra
> trip required.
>
> The only difference is that if you don't pass,
> your safety inspection takes an extra 5-10 minutes
> to check emissions.

That is incorrect information. From their own website:

What happens to polluting vehicles?
If a vehicle is determined by remote sensing equipment to be emitting excessive levels of harmful pollutants, a Notice of Violation may be sent to the registered owner of that vehicle explaining the exceedance(s).

What does the Notice of Violation mean?
You have received a Notice of Violation (Notice) of Exhaust Emissions Standards for Remote Sensing from DEQ showing a determination by remote sensing equipment that your vehicle is emitting excessive pollution.

Within 30 days of the date of this Notice, your vehicle must have either passed an emissions inspection or received an emissions inspection waiver. If the vehicle is equipped with an on-board diagnostic (OBDII) system, the vehicle must pass both types of tests (OBDII and exhaust emissions). The first step in this process is to present the vehicle to an emissions inspection station for an emissions inspection "Confirmation Test." This emissions inspection will determine if the vehicle is actually in need of emissions repair. The station may charge a fee for this test if the vehicle fails. (Please see "What should I bring to the Confirmation Test?" for additional information regarding the fee.)

In order to meet the requirements of the Notice, the vehicle must pass the emissions inspection or receive an emissions inspection waiver within 30 days of the Notice. If you don't meet this deadline, you may be required to pay the civil charge listed on the Notice.

Posted by: vTY9U ()
Date: March 30, 2017 12:03PM

A remote IR reading of the exhaust temperature can not establish whether the engine is fully up to operating temperature. The exhaust temps will rise before the engine is up to operating temperature. Every car is different, heats at different rate, and has its own thermal characteristics. You can easily try this for yourself with an IR thermometer.

Posted by: paper tiger ()
Date: March 30, 2017 12:16PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> What does it matter? Wrote:
> -----
> > Nobody gets "dinged for polluting" if they
> don't
> > pass the Rapidpass test. It just means you
> need
> > to get tested at the gas station. The cost is
> the
> > same, and all cars need an annual safety
> > inspection anyway, so there is not even an
> extra
> > trip required.
> >
> > The only difference is that if you don't pass,
> > your safety inspection takes an extra 5-10
> minutes
> > to check emissions.
>
>
> That is incorrect information. From their own
> website:
>
> What happens to polluting vehicles?
> If a vehicle is determined by remote sensing
> equipment to be emitting excessive levels of
> harmful pollutants, a Notice of Violation may be
> sent to the registered owner of that vehicle
> explaining the exceedance(s).
>
> TOP
>
> What does the Notice of Violation mean?
> You have received a Notice of Violation (Notice)
> of Exhaust Emissions Standards for Remote Sensing
> from DEQ showing a determination by remote sensing
> equipment that your vehicle is emitting excessive
> pollution.
>
> Within 30 days of the date of this Notice, your
> vehicle must have either passed an emissions
> inspection or received an emissions inspection
> waiver. If the vehicle is equipped with an
> on-board diagnostic (OBDII) system, the vehicle
> must pass both types of tests (OBDII and exhaust
> emissions). The first step in this process is to
> present the vehicle to an emissions inspection
> station for an emissions inspection "Confirmation
> Test." This emissions inspection will determine if
> the vehicle is actually in need of emissions
> repair. The station may charge a fee for this test
> if the vehicle fails. (Please see "What should I
> bring to the Confirmation Test?" for additional
> information regarding the fee.)
>
> In order to meet the requirements of the Notice,
> the vehicle must pass the emissions inspection or
> receive an emissions inspection waiver within 30
> days of the Notice. If you don't meet this
> deadline, you may be required to pay the civil
> charge listed on the Notice.

It's not clear whether they actually send such notices out. The provision theoretically exists, but has anyone ever gotten such a notice of violation?

Posted by: Violation Notice does not exist ()
Date: March 30, 2017 02:37PM

As far as I know the state is not sending out any notices of violation to anyone. It would be a bureaucratic nightmare and possibly cause wholesale rioting and civil unrest.

The DEQ requirements are different from the DMV requirements. The DEQ on road testing claims it applies to 1968 and newer "Virginia registered vehicles that are primarily operated within and through the Northern Virginia area, regardless of registration address or garage location." However the DMV Requirement is only for vehicles 25 years old and newer, registered in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford, and cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park.

Essentially the DEQ on-road testing applies to many more vehicles than the DMV requirement for emissions testing. Who is going to arbitrate where a vehicle is primarily operated, and how do they propose to do so? Does the rest of the state even have facilities to test emissions? For example if someone from Southwest Va gets a notice of violation while driving in Fairfax, where would they take their car locally for a "Confirmation Test"? The link to virims.com is dead. Furthermore, I doubt the state even has appropriated the funds to reimburse gas stations for the free confirmation tests.

If they ever did actually mail any of these notices, the Rapidpass test stations would rapidly become target practice for enraged citizens.

http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Programs/AirCheckVirginia/ForMotoristsVehicleOwners/OnRoadEmissionsProgramFAQ.aspx

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#emissions.asp

Posted by: rapid pass rocks ()
Date: March 30, 2017 03:01PM

My car has high flow cats, and some other mods which throws a CEL, and it passed just fine. I changed my tune to run e85 and ran through the off ramp a couple times to be sure it registered. The e85 burns a lot cleaner so ymmv if you're using regular gas.

Posted by: no violations ()
Date: March 30, 2017 04:39PM

My car has NO cats, and it's tuned very rich. You would literally choke standing behind it at idle, and it gets complaints whenever I park into an underground parking garage. I've been driving through those Rapidpass sensors for years and never got any kind of violation notice.

Posted by: Djdjfjrnxc ()
Date: March 30, 2017 05:02PM

If I cut the engine and coast through the test, will I pass?

Posted by: rapid pass rocks ()
Date: March 30, 2017 05:21PM

no violations Wrote:
> My car has NO cats, and it's tuned very rich. You
> would literally choke standing behind it at idle,
> and it gets complaints whenever I park into an
> underground parking garage. I've been driving
> through those Rapidpass sensors for years and
> never got any kind of violation notice.

If you fail you will not get a notification, you only get notified if you pass and if your within 60 days of needing an emissions test.

Also if you cut the engine that will not work, insufficient sample.

Posted by: see posts above ()
Date: March 30, 2017 05:34PM

rapid pass rocks Wrote:
> no violations Wrote:
> -----
> > My car has NO cats, and it's tuned very rich.
> You
> > would literally choke standing behind it at
> idle,
> > and it gets complaints whenever I park into an
> > underground parking garage. I've been driving
> > through those Rapidpass sensors for years and
> > never got any kind of violation notice.
>
>
> If you fail you will not get a notification, you
> only get notified if you pass and if your within
> 60 days of needing an emissions test.
>
>
> Also if you cut the engine that will not work,
> insufficient sample.

The DEQ Web site claims they send notices re: "vehicles emitting excessive pollution", but that doesn't happen.

Posted by: Schnoz ()
Date: March 30, 2017 09:13PM

If you send me $14, I'll certify what you last had to eat.

I'll stand by the elevators in Fair Oaks Mall.

As you walk past me, simply fart.

I will send to you a certified letter describing the contents of your last meal!

Guaranteed or your money back!

Posted by: Leaf driver ()
Date: March 31, 2017 06:28AM

rapid pass rocks Wrote:
> Also if you cut the engine that will not work,
> insufficient sample.

Really? Then why does the little sign after the emissions sensor light up and say "CLEAN" when I drive through one of those? My electric car produces a very insufficient sample, at least where the car is anyway.

Posted by: Rapiddd ()
Date: April 01, 2017 02:37PM

Done. See you soon.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.