HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
roku question
Posted by: streaming_guy ()
Date: May 24, 2016 11:46PM

I currently use the Apple TV to stream netflix, etc but it's 3 years old and it's time for an upgrade. I know the new apple tv has pandora but I've heard mixed reviews. Plus, I am migrating away from apple products.

What Roku device works the best? I see the Streaming Stick on the Roku website and like that it's small and inexpensive. But would it have enough memory to be effective in streaming music and movies/series?

Is the Roku 4K player worth the $129? Seems pretty nice but would the Roku 2 and Roku 3 be better alternatives considering the considerably lower price?

Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: roku question
Posted by: Pineapples ()
Date: May 25, 2016 01:18AM

I have a roku TV and its easy and cool as fuck and it was super cheap on amazon

Posted by: jdYph ()
Date: May 25, 2016 02:54AM

I use a roku3 and a fire tv. The benefit or the roku3 is that it has usb. Otherwise they are to same performance-wise. I watch all kinds of stuff without problems.

Posted by: GvJcP ()
Date: May 25, 2016 06:39AM

I have no idea about the 4k version, but I have two of the Roku 3 boxes. They are quite snappy, and the software on them (specifically the UIs for the streaming services) keeps getting better all the time.

The RF remote control is great because I can just hang the Roku on the back of my mounted flat screen TV.

The Roku 3 now has a slot for a microSD card:

https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/articles/208756158-What-is-a-microSD-card-and-how-do-I-install-one-in-my-Roku-player-

The only other thing I recommend is ordering a Powerline kit to use instead of WiFi if you cannot run an ethernet cable. The speed difference is significant.

Posted by: Rokufan ()
Date: May 25, 2016 07:19AM

I have both the cheapest box -- got it for $30 on sale on Amazon -- and Apple TV that cost more than twice as much. I see no difference between them performance wise whatsoever. Each has it advantages for me based on what I want to use it for, but if I could only have one it would be the cheap Roku.

Posted by: Mr roku ()
Date: May 25, 2016 07:22AM

I have roku 2, 3, and 4 for tvs around the house. Don't notice any differences among them.

Posted by: Steve Jobs ()
Date: May 25, 2016 07:09PM

Foku!

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: May 30, 2016 01:32AM

I've a 3 and a 4, and the interface on the 4 seems a bit slicker. They both also have a plug on the remote for headphone use, and I didn't think I'd ever use it but I do all the time now. I use both on wifi and they both stream flawlessly, or nearly so.

Posted by: Roku.Rocker ()
Date: May 30, 2016 12:29PM

I have had a Roku3 for a month and it's very slick. The Roku3 and Roku4 are exactly the same. The only reason to get a Roku4 is if you have a 4K television and want the best streamed picture available.

Posted by: GvJcP ()
Date: May 30, 2016 01:38PM

abelard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've a 3 and a 4, and the interface on the 4 seems
> a bit slicker. They both also have a plug on the
> remote for headphone use, and I didn't think I'd
> ever use it but I do all the time now. I use both
> on wifi and they both stream flawlessly, or nearly
> so.

They work fine on wifi, but they are significantly faster with a wired or powerline connection.

Posted by: streaming_guy ()
Date: May 30, 2016 06:01PM

Thanks for the responses. I don't need a Roku 4 for a few years when 4k becomes more standard. It's a toss-up between the Stick and Roku 3. I read the Roku 3 is compatible with universal remotes (my preference) and the Stick is not, but the Stick is just a more hidden/leaner option.

Posted by: Roku.Rocker ()
Date: May 30, 2016 06:41PM

GvJcP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> abelard Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've a 3 and a 4, and the interface on the 4
> seems
> > a bit slicker. They both also have a plug on
> the
> > remote for headphone use, and I didn't think
> I'd
> > ever use it but I do all the time now. I use
> both
> > on wifi and they both stream flawlessly, or
> nearly
> > so.
>
>
> They work fine on wifi, but they are significantly
> faster with a wired or powerline connection.

Thanks for the tip...and now I'm off to run 300 feet of hardline...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.