HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How are those HOT Express Lanes Doing? Do taxpayers have to bail the company out?
Posted by: CEO Bailouts? ()
Date: May 24, 2016 08:50PM

Are the hot lanes making any money now? Last I heard they were losing a pretty penny.

Will the taxpayers of VA be bailing out another company where CEO get paid $1,000,000 like the auto industry?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How are those HOT Express Lanes Doing? Do taxpayers have to bail the company out?
Posted by: Australian Owned ()
Date: May 24, 2016 09:01PM

Back in 2015- (Nice to know that the Express road is owned by Australia)

The private sector firm that operates the 495 Express Lanes along the Beltway in Northern Virginia is down more than $230 million on its investment in the two and a half years since the highway opened, but company officials say toll revenues are beginning to consistently exceed operating costs, a sign the project is winning over commuters in one of the region’s most congested corridors.

Transurban, the Australia-based toll road builder that operates high-speed HOT (high-occupancy toll) lanes on I-495 and I-95, has said all along it would take years to turn a profit on its enormous investments in Northern Virginia.

Re: How are those HOT Express Lanes Doing? Do taxpayers have to bail the company out?
Posted by: Remember 25 Cent Tolls ()
Date: May 24, 2016 09:10PM

Australian Owned Wrote:

> Transurban, the Australia-based toll road builder
> that operates high-speed HOT (high-occupancy toll)
> lanes on I-495 and I-95

Are those lanes truly high speed? Many times I travel parallel and I am going faster than the hot lanes.

Posted by: Speedy McSpeedface ()
Date: May 24, 2016 09:36PM

Remember 25 Cent Tolls Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Australian Owned Wrote:
>
> > Transurban, the Australia-based toll road
> builder
> > that operates high-speed HOT (high-occupancy
> toll)
> > lanes on I-495 and I-95
>
> Are those lanes truly high speed? Many times I
> travel parallel and I am going faster than the hot
> lanes.

Speed limit is 10 mph higher.

Posted by: Bob the builder ()
Date: May 24, 2016 10:47PM

I like them cause now VA state troopers can't really pull you over.

Posted by: Bob the builder ()
Date: May 24, 2016 10:48PM

If you're driving in the regular lanes.

Posted by: Express Metro ()
Date: May 24, 2016 10:53PM

Bob the builder Wrote:
> I like them cause now VA state troopers can't
> really pull you over. If you're driving in the regular lanes.

LOL, I've seen more people pulled over in the Express lanes than ever in the regular lanes.

Posted by: Speedy Gonzales ()
Date: May 24, 2016 11:19PM

Yeah, the hot lanes totally eliminated a couple of VSP's favorite hiding spots from the median. I used to always have to watch out between Gallows and 236 but not so much now. Although it also eliminated the shoulder so now if you have a problem in the left lane and can't get over you're stuck in travel lanes which I don't like much. Also kind of wish there was a concrete barrier separating the hot lanes instead of those stupid cheap white pickets.

Posted by: m3 dinan ()
Date: May 24, 2016 11:35PM

Bob the builder Wrote:
> I like them cause now VA state troopers can't
> really pull you over.

+1

I always watch it near the ends though, I get paranoid since they could follow you until the dividers end assuming you can't exit anywhere.

The express lanes are very heavily policed, more than not there is a VSP car fishing.

I can also usually go faster than the express lanes, being only 2 lanes you're bound to run in to rolling road blocks going 10 under the PSL.

Posted by: I Don't Get It ()
Date: May 25, 2016 02:38AM

I don't have an ez pass and I've never used the express lanes and I have to admit I just don't understand them. Every time I see one of those electronic signs with the fares to different exits, the closest exit is always the most expensive and the farthest exit is the cheapest. This makes no sense to me. Is it cheaper to go farther?

Posted by: eDKbG ()
Date: May 25, 2016 02:59AM

I Don't Get It Wrote:
> I don't have an ez pass and I've never used the
> express lanes and I have to admit I just don't
> understand them. Every time I see one of those
> electronic signs with the fares to different
> exits, the closest exit is always the most
> expensive and the farthest exit is the cheapest.
> This makes no sense to me. Is it cheaper to go
> farther?

Must be reading something wrong.

Posted by: uud9L ()
Date: May 25, 2016 08:00AM

I Don't Get It Wrote:
> I don't have an ez pass and I've never used the
> express lanes and I have to admit I just don't
> understand them. Every time I see one of those
> electronic signs with the fares to different
> exits, the closest exit is always the most
> expensive and the farthest exit is the cheapest.
> This makes no sense to me. Is it cheaper to go
> farther?

Lady, you need to start getting a ride when you go somewhere. I keep winding up behind you.

Posted by: CC Rider ()
Date: May 25, 2016 09:04AM

I pay and use the hot lanes to keep from having to ride in the regular lanes with the un-washed common folk. If the Aussies lose their asses it's of no consequence, VDOT will just take ownership of them as they are bound to do the maintenance, up keep and policing of them anyway. Last Friday evening I road from Vienna to Lorton in 25 minutes during rush hour traffic for like 3 bucks while all the stupid motorists sat in bumper to bumper traffic. Losers! Fucking worth every penny.

Posted by: XUmXL ()
Date: May 25, 2016 09:31AM

CC Rider Wrote:
> I pay and use the hot lanes to keep from having to
> ride in the regular lanes with the un-washed
> common folk. If the Aussies lose their asses it's
> of no consequence, VDOT will just take ownership
> of them as they are bound to do the maintenance,
> up keep and policing of them anyway. Last Friday
> evening I road from Vienna to Lorton in 25 minutes
> during rush hour traffic for like 3 bucks while
> all the stupid motorists sat in bumper to bumper
> traffic. Losers! Fucking worth every penny.

Speaking of losers!!!! Can anyone spot the misspelling in CC Rider's post?

Posted by: JVbJ3 ()
Date: May 25, 2016 09:46AM

XUmXL Wrote:
> CC Rider Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I pay and use the hot lanes to keep from having to
> > ride in the regular lanes with the un-washed
> > common folk. If the Aussies lose their asses it's
> > of no consequence, VDOT will just take ownership
> > of them as they are bound to do the maintenance,
> > up keep and policing of them anyway. Last Friday
> > evening I road from Vienna to Lorton in 25 minutes
> > during rush hour traffic for like 3 bucks while
> > all the stupid motorists sat in bumper to bumper
> > traffic. Losers! Fucking worth every penny.
>
> Speaking of losers!!!! Can anyone spot the
> misspelling in CC Rider's post?

Which error? I counted three.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: May 25, 2016 12:04PM

CC Rider Wrote:
> Last Friday
> evening I road from Vienna to Lorton in 25 minutes
> during rush hour traffic for like 3 bucks while
> all the stupid motorists sat in bumper to bumper
> traffic. Losers! Fucking worth every penny.

If you had said $13 that might be believable.

Posted by: Pravda ()
Date: May 26, 2016 03:56AM

Whatever the truth is, you'll never hear it. Shady deal all around.

I thint VA needs to tell Transurban-Fluor to take a hike and shove it. What could they do about it? Re-po the asphalt, bollards, and gantries?

Posted by: Ruthtruth ()
Date: May 26, 2016 06:12PM

Transurban on a resume would blacklist any applicant I would come across.

Posted by: 7WkH6 ()
Date: June 04, 2016 01:55PM

7WkH6

Posted by: WmGPu ()
Date: June 04, 2016 08:38PM

> Back in 2015- (Nice to know that the Express road is owned by Australia)

a foreigner cannot simply express ownership of a road of VA with papers of transfer - while that country infact has a global debt

only a foreigner who infact built the road, and provenly sacrificed a different investment, could claim ownership

pure paper transfers by obama.gov liberals are not respected

just paper

Posted by: Hp7mp ()
Date: June 04, 2016 08:39PM

the Constitution doesn't say anthing about assuming debt of crack niggers in control of a city running up debt without authority from the rest of the country ...

meaning ... you cannot "simply buy the USA" from back stabbers who'd sell their grandmother and expect the rest of the USA to agree your ownership is legitimate

Posted by: TPHpH ()
Date: June 05, 2016 06:19AM

I will never give one penny to those TransUrban assholes. Except thru my state income taxes, when the State of Virginia writes them huge checks every year.

Posted by: T/Driver ()
Date: June 05, 2016 07:36AM

The next time you are in the 495 Express Lanes. Ride in the right lane from Braddock Rd to just past RT#50. The ride has become very rough. The 4 year old asphalt is already failing. Something is wrong with it if it is falling apart that quick. A cost that Transurban will have to eat. Also, when coming south and crossing over 267. Look at the slope/hill of dirt and grass next to the Jones Branch exit. Numerous erosion issues already.

Posted by: uVW9WVvvv ()
Date: June 05, 2016 08:15AM

I think a lot of drivers see that it is $6 to go 10 miles in 10 minutes, $0 to stay in the Beltway regular lanes to go 10 miles in 25 minutes...and then tap WAZE and find a route that costs $0 and will cover those 10 miles in about 13 minutes.

Posted by: Thanks for playing ()
Date: June 05, 2016 10:13AM

The purpose of the HOT tolls on I-66 is to help keep traffic volume down to what can move along at 45 MPH or better. If some drivers choose to use other routes rather than pay the tolls, then the tolls are doing exactly what they were designed to do.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.