HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax 1 FAQs
Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: May 24, 2016 12:29AM

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/helicopter/faq.htm

newpatch4b.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions for the Helicopter Division

Q. What are the operational hours of the Fairfax County Police Helicopter Division and what is the helicopter's call sign?
Q. What types of missions does Fairfax 1 fly?
Q. What kind of helicopter does the division fly and how many do they have?
Q. Why is Fairfax 1 circling my neighborhood and how do I find out what is going on?
Q. Does the Fairfax County Police Helicopter Division attempt to reduce helicopter noise?
Q. If there is a helicopter flying over my neighborhood can I assume it is Fairfax 1?
Q. How do crew members interact with the public if they are always in the air?
Q. What if I am a member of the public safety community and I would like a demonstration?
Q. How much trouble can I get into for pointing a laser at the helicopter?
Q. Can I operate an unmanned aircraft (UA/drones) in Fairfax County?
Q. Who do I contact if I have further questions?

A. The Fairfax County Police Helicopter Division maintains a 24-hour, 7 days a week, single-aircraft mission response capability. The standard duty crew is comprised of one pilot and two paramedic qualified police officers. If you listen to air traffic control for Dulles or National Airport you will routinely hear the crew communicate using the call sign "Fairfax 1."

A. Fairfax 1 provides tactical police aviation support, aeromedical evacuation, search & rescue, and other specialized air support as needed within Fairfax County, and through mutual aid agreements to other jurisdictions within the National Capital Region to enhance public safety and welfare.

A. The Fairfax County Police Helicopter Division maintains two Bell 429 helicopters purchased through funds saved over more than a decade. The helicopters are projected to last 20 years.

A. If the helicopter is circling your neighborhood it is on a mission. You can contact the Fairfax County Department of Public Safety Communications at (703) 691-2131 and they will tell you what type of mission the helicopter is on. The Fairfax County Police Helicopter Division also posts recent missions on their website and that website is updated at least once a week.

A. The crew members take the noise produced by the helicopter into account on every mission flown. The division uses the Helicopter Association International's Fly Neighborly Guide as a model for helicopter noise reduction. Unfortunately, due to mission critical components of certain flights, the crew cannot always adhere to those guidelines.

A. No. There are many public safety, medevac, and military helicopters that operate in the Northern Virginia area daily.

A. If you are a member of a community organization based in Fairfax County, or a Fairfax County employee working in your official capacity, you can request a demonstration or fly-over. The crew can fly-out to a predetermined location to meet with your organization, fly over a special event, or meet your group at the hanger so you can see the helicopter first hand. (Examples include Fairfax County Public Schools, boy scout troops, National Night Out events)

A. The division will provide a demonstration to any public safety agency as long as it is logistically possible. Working with our local, state, and federal partner is vital to our mission and we encourage those partners to contact us anytime.

A. Pointing a laser at any aircraft, helicopter or fixed wing, is a federal crime with a punishment of up to 5 years imprisonment. The FBI is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information that leads to the arrest of any individual who aims a laser at aircraft. The reward is available for 90 days in all 56 FBI field offices ( FBI Press Release June 03, 2014).

A. The operation of unmanned aircraft (UA/drones), to include model aircraft, is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Information concerning the operation of UAs can be found on the FAQ section of the FAA website. Additionally, the District of Columbia and cities and towns within a 30-mile radius of Ronald-Reagan Washington National Airport are a No Drone Zone. This includes the entire County of Fairfax. Further information can be found at DC IS A NO DRONE ZONE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax 1 FAQs
Posted by: How Many Caught? ()
Date: May 24, 2016 12:40AM

Now for the biggest question.

How many criminals have been caught as a direct result of the helicopter?

Seems the helicopter never finds anything these days. A couple of fly overs and nothing happens.

Posted by: grnt ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:27AM

A big noisy fire engine would seem a waste of money, time, and unnecessary too. Until your house is on fire. I worked on helicopters in the air force and you would be amazed what you can see from 1000 feet. With traffic the way it is and crime on the rise, having this tool available for fire and police is a great tactical advantage. Quit your crying and be grateful that this resource is available, for one day it may be you or a loved one who benefits from someone's dedication and effort to provide you with such a useful addition to the counties capabilities to help and protect those that they are charged to serve. Even if some of that public is sometimes short sighted an ungrateful.

Posted by: Something For Everyone ()
Date: May 24, 2016 09:02PM

grnt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A big noisy fire engine would seem a waste of
> money, time, and unnecessary too. Until your house
> is on fire. I worked on helicopters in the air
> force and you would be amazed what you can see
> from 1000 feet. With traffic the way it is and
> crime on the rise, having this tool available for
> fire and police is a great tactical advantage.
> Quit your crying and be grateful that this
> resource is available, for one day it may be you
> or a loved one who benefits from someone's
> dedication and effort to provide you with such a
> useful addition to the counties capabilities to
> help and protect those that they are charged to
> serve. Even if some of that public is sometimes
> short sighted an ungrateful.

I want to thank you for you for your intelligent, thoughtful response to the question about the need for just such equipment. When equipment like this is in the hands of a highly trained crew it can perform any number of tasks to benefit the people of our community.

I feel the same way about strap on dildos, and 120V vibrators.

Posted by: Helo Pilot ()
Date: May 25, 2016 09:02AM

We've never caught a criminal, but we have given a lot of great tours for Queen Sharon and other political elite in the county. Plus, it's helped me get dates with some hot babes! Well worth the millions it costs taxpayers every year.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.