HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Lake Anna public beach
Posted by: occ ()
Date: May 23, 2016 11:40AM

Thinking about taking the family there on Friday since it's going to be hot. Would probably leave around 10/11 am and try to beat any afternoon T-storms/traffic.

Has anyone gone before? Does it fill up quickly? Is it a nice beach and atmosphere or kinda trashy? Since it's Memorial Day weekend I don't really know what to expect, but figure Fri AM is better than Sat-Mon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lake Anna public beach
Posted by: Other Choices ()
Date: May 23, 2016 11:45AM

Lake Anna is way over rated.

I'd rather do Chesapeake Beach or Breezy Point on the Bay. Much closer and better.

Posted by: Nishiki ()
Date: May 23, 2016 11:46AM

Posted by: Pitiful ()
Date: May 23, 2016 02:51PM

It's pitiful. Not worth the gas and time to drive. Unless maybe you have very, very low expectations.

Even compared to the pitiful Bay "beaches" it's pitiful.

The only remotely decent sort of nearby bay beach is the park at Point Lookout and even that's pitiful.

Posted by: PdF4m ()
Date: May 23, 2016 03:40PM

Lake Anna is disgusting. Its cooling water for a nuke plant for one. Also it has a clay bottom. Think slime that never cools below 70 degrees and you have lake Anna. I think there is some kind of deadly organism you can get from swimming in there as well due to the warm temp from the nukeplant.

Posted by: Naegleria fowleri ()
Date: May 23, 2016 03:42PM

Posted by: yumy ()
Date: May 23, 2016 03:43PM

"He went out for ice cream with his grandmother and my sister-in-law that Sunday night," recalls Strickland. "He complained of a slight headache."

The next morning, his mother tried to revive the listless boy with a bath, but he went silent when his mom asked him to climb into the tub and seemed confused when she asked him to get dressed.

"None of it was registering with him," recalls Strickland. "He went from healthy and active to not even recognizing any of us in a day. "

When she rushed over to an intensive-care-unit, Strickland says she'd never heard of the single-celled organism that feeds on cerebral fluid and gray matter. As medical personnel and family members pleaded for the boy to speak, the most coherent thing he could do was recite his ABCs.

"He was brain-dead a couple of days later," says Strickland.

Posted by: Canoe renter ()
Date: May 23, 2016 04:00PM

occ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thinking about taking the family there on Friday
> since it's going to be hot. Would probably leave
> around 10/11 am and try to beat any afternoon
> T-storms/traffic.
>
> Has anyone gone before? Does it fill up quickly?
> Is it a nice beach and atmosphere or kinda trashy?
> Since it's Memorial Day weekend I don't really
> know what to expect, but figure Fri AM is better
> than Sat-Mon.

The place is actually pretty nice. It's worth the trip to experience it for yourself. Bring all your drinks and food with you because there are not that many stores in the area. It's a nice place to have a cookout too!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g58198-d1908662-Reviews-Lake_Anna_State_Park-Spotsylvania_Virginia.html

Posted by: K3enF ()
Date: May 23, 2016 04:21PM

I was seriously considering buying a little plot of land there. So glad I caught this thread, especially the part about the nuke plant.

No wonder the land is so cheap...I guess I'm better off finding land in the woods vs water front (or at least close access) property.

Posted by: FrankR. ()
Date: May 23, 2016 04:28PM

Naegleria fowleri Wrote:
> killer amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri
>
> http://www.readthehook.com/103982/brain-eater-afte
> r-boys-death-aunt-urges-safer-swimming

Wow. That's fucked up. Poor kid. Never going there again (only went once anyway).

Posted by: failzerd ()
Date: May 23, 2016 06:32PM

PdF4m Wrote:
> Lake Anna is disgusting. Its cooling water for a
> nuke plant for one. Also it has a clay bottom.
> Think slime that never cools below 70 degrees and
> you have lake Anna. I think there is some kind of
> deadly organism you can get from swimming in there
> as well due to the warm temp from the nukeplant.

BS. The recreational side of the lake serves as the INPUT to the plant not for discharge. The output is to what they call the 'hot side' which is separated.

Posted by: Public area sucks ()
Date: May 23, 2016 07:55PM

I went there for the first time about a year ago with my family. First of all the area is dirty and small. Second, white people made up maybe 10% of the people there. It was overwhelmingly Hispanic. And it was extremely crowded. We spent about one hour there before leaving. It was a wasted day.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: May 23, 2016 08:28PM

Obx is not that far and definitely worth it. It is called NOVA's playground for a reason

Posted by: Health Risk ()
Date: May 23, 2016 08:28PM

If you think Colonial Beach is a shit hole, Lake Anna is a toxic mud hole.

Rednecks churning up the silt, slime, and anything else on the bottom with their Bayliners.

Spics, and fat tattooed white women with stretch marked bellies is what you will find beached on the shore.

Posted by: jkYJC ()
Date: May 23, 2016 08:59PM

"Thermal enrichment of water can cause proliferation of amebae especially at temperatures of 86°F to 111°F," wrote the researchers. Their tests confirmed N. Fowleri in 9 of 16 Lake Anna sample sites and took heed of what the Civic Association had warned: that 99 percent of the water between the power plant and the dam gets recirculated by the the cooling pumps of the North Anna power plant.

"Amebae that are present in one location today," the researchers warned, "may be at another location tomorrow."

Posted by: CxJvn ()
Date: May 23, 2016 09:16PM

I have a friend who recently moved to Lake Anna to retire. He's 65 and already bored to tears. The public beach is a hell hole. Most of the marinas and campgrounds are full of tattooed white trash and spics who look like they just got paroled.

And if you're lucky enough to have a boat, go out early because by noon on a weekend you're taking your life in your hands with all the drunks in their speed boats. The only time I go visit now is in the fall.

Memorial Day weekend.......no way!

Posted by: CECyX ()
Date: May 24, 2016 12:17AM

Bored to tears on a lake at 65? What does he expect? And why is he hanging out with the Spotsylvania locals at the beach if he has a house? The last thing anyone with property at Lake Anna does is head to that beach. It's really not even a beach, more of a park.

That amoeba lives in all freshwater. Sure it's more prevalent in the hotter discharge water but that's a tiny portion of the lake that's separated by a dam which I've never even been near in 10+ years of being there regularly. The lake is over 20 miles long. There are certainly nicer lakes, just not ones you can drive to for the weekend.

If you think land is cheap down there, you're probably looking at a lot advertised in a magazine ad that's big enough for a trailer with a distant view of the water. No surprise, a Fairfax Underground thread full of people with no clue what they're talking about.

Posted by: amebae ()
Date: May 24, 2016 12:22AM

Amebae is in a lot of rivers and streams especially down south.

Lake Anna is not a place to go for the beach, it's only good for camping or if you have a boat of your own.

Posted by: u3jMC ()
Date: May 24, 2016 12:34AM

There were only 34 reported cases in the U.S. during the past 10 years.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: May 24, 2016 12:35AM

Va beach or Ocean City Md/Nj are better option

Posted by: ehGWN ()
Date: May 24, 2016 12:39AM

I thought you were trying to AVOID shitty locals?

Posted by: boating boater ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:43AM

THE unsafest lake in Virginia. It is too narrow in alot of places for the boat traffic it has.

Posted by: just saying ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:47AM

I travel extensively through out Virginia for my job. Lake Anna has its uses, but the fella above is right. Colonial beach is nicer for what you are asking for and has several good places to eat. There's a cool sandwich place, name eludes me, near the beach. Also a good Thai place on the main drag and a good seafood place on to backside of town. The beach is small but not usually overcrowded and family oriented. Chincoteague is cool and the adjoining beach on assatige is much nicer than ocean city or Virginia beach in my opinion. But it is a 3 hour drive from DC as opposed to a 1 hour drive give or take to colonial beach. The drive to colonial is also less traffic intensive and very picturesque. As for me, I'm camping in Suluda, southern northern neck. Also quiet and nice. Good luck and don't let the whiners dissuade you from giving your family a great weekend and some warm memories. Beats sitting home and bitching about everything not understood on the ffx underground.

Posted by: sand in my pants ()
Date: April 28, 2017 11:49AM

Bump for 2017 update. Am looking @ colonial beach too.

Just want some sand and surf to kick back on the beach a minute and maybe throw a line out (fishing) with the kiddos. Not spending the night, just a day trip.

Since it will be 95 degrees tomorrow, wanna hit the road early tomorrow morning, i know it will be crowded just want to get a good spot and am undecided on where to go.

Also heard of point lookout in MD....

Thanks.

Posted by: Go There Sat Apr 29th ()
Date: April 28, 2017 12:41PM

>Obx is not that far

Sit In I95 4 hours..Just to get to Fredericksburg...This Sat..Or Any Saturday all summer..! LOL..For Those South of A River..OBX is a short quick trip...LOL

Brand New Homes in Fredericksburg 350..4 BR 2 car garage..25 miles from Lake Anna..Town Houses 250..Trailers like mine ..best offer over 500 dollars..Leave that FX Nova Rat Race..Spend your extra Fed $$ on many other things and Ride In Style with your Fed Paid For Snooze & Ride Fed Van Pool!! All The Feds are doing..Very Well Thank You .South of A River..new cars, big pickups, granite counter tops, the best most expensive lawn tractors..! And Their Own Beach Condos..! Huge Decks.with chairs and umbrellas...Stainless Steel Giant Gas BBQ's Natch..they don't know real BBQ..Oh Well..! But they sure like letting that Grilled Steak smell waft back toward us Trailer Folk..

Lake Anna is not my fav.its 25 away.. A Party Puddle..I like wide open views of water. That said the beach is a nice Lil beach, Good Pic Nic Place , boat ramp. The No Motor Crowd will like it on those small plastic sit in death traps they "paddle" around in.."The Paddlers" LOL! What a stupid name..LOL! The Bass Cats will like it too, they fish there year round..Plus there numerous Mariunas and a new ..Agh..I ahte to call it..but.."Boardwalk..LOL! With Tims Rivershore Crab House ..Kayak Rentals..Canoes.. Fairly Cheap Motels and Fresh Water..

No Snakeheads there to Fry Crisp..SO Im Not Interested. Too many Cops with Eyes Looking out ..and Noise Sensors to hear a Can Pop!! Even If I had my "Beer Can " Illegals Fishing "Rod"..They would be on to me..Then bitch me out cause I drank that ONE beer..!

DAJAX getting hot..I belive Ill throw a tarp into the bed of the rusted pickup..and If the well holds up..fill up my swimming pool..and get the party going. Going To be 90 Sat..Sitting in that 95 Traffic!!
Attachments:
WhoNeedsLakeAnna.jpg

Posted by: Colonial Beach Info Pal ()
Date: April 28, 2017 12:58PM

It got hit hard a week ago Sat by a T Storm and mini tornados, the streets were closed by VSP, power poles down..Trees ect..By now they may be up and running ..I hope.. A gritty beach not very fine sand..but a beach and when its sunny and warm..Not much open now..Ice cream, ect.. unless its a weekend and hot as this one will be..A public fishing pier..many beach areas not crowded..Parking Meters by the hour..2 hous min.I think..maybe $10 all day, which is what it is down at the publice boat ram..Boat Folk 20 a day with trailer rigs..The motel as you come in Riverside.by the beach .and the one down to the end of the beach..The Wakefield..Theres beaches around both. Wakefield has a fishing pier for guests only, theres the Old Seafood Rest.just down at the end at The Colonial Beach Yatch Center.Wakfield is a nice place..on the Cheap.compared to..OBX..LOL! Good for a overnight or weekend get away with the kids..

Docs..Riverside are closed..Being rehabbed I think.

http://www.wakefieldmotel.com/rates.html

Your Pal DAJAX Who Knows Va.
Attachments:
WakefieldMotel.jpg
WFMotel.jpg

Posted by: Maryland Day ()
Date: April 28, 2017 08:38PM

Why would anyone go to the beach on Saturday? April 29 is Maryland Day at the University of Maryland! Seven plus hours of entertainment, education, food, and free ice cream! (Just think of how little clothing those college girls will be wearing in 95 degree heat.)

marylandday.umd.edu

Posted by: Free Stabbings Day @ UMD ()
Date: April 28, 2017 08:56PM

Go get yours If you don't , Up the Odds by a Ghetro ride on Red line

Posted by: N63Hv ()
Date: April 28, 2017 09:10PM

Dont swim in that shit water you could die. Im not kidding.

Posted by: Fjfkfkfjfj ()
Date: April 30, 2017 09:32PM

I swim in lake Anna a lot, great fishing, nice and deep. I'm so drunk when I go I doubt any amoebas could survive. Apparently they get up your nose and then are small enough to successfully burrow upwards, into your brain.

Posted by: Fjfkfkfjfj ()
Date: April 30, 2017 09:36PM

And to add, I never swim in shallows, only from a boat in the deep (I understand the little fuckers get stirred up from the bottom) so super low risk when in the deep. Saw a big fuck off snake their once, plus they have confirmed rabid raccoons, but like I said, my blood is 95% proof

Posted by: Maryland Day ()
Date: April 30, 2017 10:15PM

Free Stabbings Day @ UMD Wrote:
> Go get yours If you don't , Up the Odds by a
> Ghetro ride on Red line

I survived Maryland Day. The only thing that was murder was the traffic. Got an extra helping of free UMD ice cream, too.

Posted by: I Survived Maryland Day ()
Date: April 30, 2017 10:50PM

By Staying South Of A River and BBQing Chicken Kabobs..with Peas and Carrots Cous Cous and Steamed Broccoli. A Ice Cold Hobo Junction Beer Was excellent with It..LOL

Breezy and Cooler This eve..I went by Colonial Beach yesterday..Some damage..Things back open ..Large Crowd at Wilkersons for the AYCE Seafood buffet. 29.95

http://www.wilkersonsseafoodrestaurant.com/

And a Large Crowd Of The Golf Cart Crowd and car folk too at Dockside at the end of the beach..Never ate at either..Had a Cold one 1 time at Docksides "Tiki" Bar.. Thye do have a lot of swinging chairs to relax on..sipping a cold Hobo Junction Brew looking at the River.(Just One..Damm It.Less your Not Driving..Natch!) .

I don't know if ...These Fine Cooking Places will allow.."Riff Raff" In ..LOL!

They both have been there a long time..Wilkersons since 1946. Dockside looks about 1952..LOL..! Will have to break open the Cash Box and get some out and Try Um..

http://www.docksidetikibar.com/#menus

DAJAX Colonial Beach..Long Known as "The Redneck Rivera" LOL..And A Bikers Day there in the Fall....Bikefest or something..Its a more laid back place..Colonial Beach..
Attachments:
NoFattyTonightSOAR.jpg

Posted by: Lake Anna has Bare Cooters ()
Date: May 01, 2017 10:49AM

The split tailed knob gobbling type!

Posted by: Best Lake ()
Date: May 01, 2017 04:23PM

I have a house on Deep Creek Lake which is 100 times nicer and the water is always cool. It's only a 3 hour drive from here as well.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.