HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Commute from Dominion Valley, Haymarket to downtown D.C.
Posted by: Newbie Transplant ()
Date: May 20, 2016 04:00PM

Hello all, recently moved to the area and looking for an affordable place to live. A coworker suggested Dominion Valley in Haymarket. He says the housing out there has come way down in price lately, and that if I could tolerate the commute, that might be a place I might consider.
How long a commute would that be into downtown D.C. Doable? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Commute from Dominion Valley, Haymarket to downtown D.C.
Posted by: Realty Semi-Pro ()
Date: May 20, 2016 04:34PM

Probably 2 hours each direction with traffic, not smart.

Posted by: MUXch ()
Date: May 20, 2016 04:37PM

I used to live in Dominion Valley.

First off, the builder (Toll Brothers) is one of the biggest dickbags in the country. They do everything possible to screw the home buyer.

Your drive from there to DC depends greatly on the time of day and whether you have a 2nd person.

Leaving at 5am alone you can make the trip in 40 minutes. Leaving at 6:30am from DV alone it's more like 2 hours. If you get a 2nd person, maybe 1:10 to 1:20. Rt 66 inside the beltway is HOV only from 6:30am to 9am, so you'd have to take another route - all of which tend to be perpetually clogged.

Posted by: How Long? Forever ()
Date: May 20, 2016 04:51PM

That commute would suck the life out of you. You'll be moving within the first year.

Posted by: Newbie Transplant ()
Date: May 20, 2016 05:15PM

How Long? Forever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That commute would suck the life out of you.
> You'll be moving within the first year.

Nonetheless, there are many people who make this commute. How do they do it, day after day?
It's obviously going to be a compromise and a sacrifice. Getting a fairly new home out in Haymarket or a 1940's cracker box rambler in Annandale.

Just today, I was talking with my wife and having second thoughts about moving to this area. Thank God, we don't have kids which would make our decision making efforts even more difficult. I told her I think we made a mistake moving here, and under her breath, I could tell that she somewhat agreed.
If there were an emoticon for :punchballs:, I think this might be where in this post I used it.

Posted by: Well... ()
Date: May 20, 2016 05:26PM

If you can arrange to work off peak hours (e.g., leave at 5am or 10am) or if you can carpool, it might be doable. If you work for the Government, you could probably telecommute. It's not just the total amount of driving time that gets to you, however; it's the congestion and insane drivers around here.

Posted by: Petey Greene ()
Date: May 20, 2016 05:27PM

Newbie Transplant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How Long? Forever Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That commute would suck the life out of you.
> > You'll be moving within the first year.
>
> Nonetheless, there are many people who make this
> commute. How do they do it, day after day?
> It's obviously going to be a compromise and a
> sacrifice. Getting a fairly new home out in
> Haymarket or a 1940's cracker box rambler in
> Annandale.
>
> Just today, I was talking with my wife and having
> second thoughts about moving to this area. Thank
> God, we don't have kids which would make our
> decision making efforts even more difficult. I
> told her I think we made a mistake moving here,
> and under her breath, I could tell that she
> somewhat agreed.
> If there were an emoticon for :punchballs:, I
> think this might be where in this post I used it.
Welcome to the D.C. Metropolitan area, a region that will suck the living life out of you for so many reasons.
I was fortunate to have started my career here in the early 70's when things were not so difficult as they are now. We bought our first home, a townhouse, in Springfield in 1982, soon after my wife and I were married. Upgraded to a colonial in Fairfax Station in 1985 and spent the remainder of our time there, until retiring South to more accommodating pastures. Paid $185k for the Fairfax Station home and sold it in 2006 for $1.2MM.
Thinking about it, I can't think of any reason I would want to return to the D.C. area.
You probably came here for a promotion, as most people do. But, as many quickly realize, no amount of salary increase is going to make this area a tolerable one in which to live.
Count your blessings that you don't have kids.
My advice on where to live: as close to your work as possible. Even if it is a 1940's cracker box rambler in Annandale.

Posted by: 3 Little Pigs Const. Co. LLC ()
Date: May 20, 2016 06:20PM

Free advise for you - Don't buy one of those turds. There is a good reason the prices are down.

Find a nice older solid brick home in Arlington County. The home will be more, but it will be easier to sell, and you WILL make money on it.

Posted by: That's True ()
Date: May 20, 2016 06:51PM

^ That's true. Places inside the beltway hold their value much better, are easier to sell, and they usually appreciate more - even if they are kind of ugly. Pay attention to the schools, even if you don't have kids. They can make or break a property.

Posted by: OP is a troll ()
Date: May 20, 2016 07:00PM

OP is a troll

Posted by: no kids ()
Date: May 20, 2016 08:32PM

Look at all these "no kids" couples.

Refusing to have kids is normally a sign of immense selfishness, or a warped sense of nature where the woman feels no instinctual urge based on some fucked up hormones; or its a telltale sign she doesn't want kids because her husband is too metro sexual or just not worth sprinkling his seed. Either way "no kids" as a plus is also a minus in you will be a decrepit old fart with no fond memories of children.

Dominion valley is beautiful, and you could do it if you could get an early schedule; flex work or van pool.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.