HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How many houses were lost behind Luskins across the street from Springfiled Mall on Franconia during construction of the overpass? Were the owners paid what the houses were worth?
Posted by: Douglas Funk ()
Date: May 02, 2016 03:01AM

There were several houses there that are no longer there anymore.

What happened?

Did the county give the home owners offers they could not refuse?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many houses were lost behind Luskins across the street from Springfiled Mall on Franconia during construction of the overpass? Were the owners paid what the houses were worth?
Posted by: Luskins ()
Date: May 02, 2016 03:12AM

5tvqeg.png

Re: How many houses were lost behind Luskins across the street from Springfiled Mall on Franconia during construction of the overpass? Were the owners paid what the houses were worth?
Posted by: Statistical.Data ()
Date: May 02, 2016 07:36AM

There were 23 homes demolished as part of that project. According to records on file with the County, the owners were paid anywhere from $108,236 to $273,428.

Posted by: What year? ()
Date: May 02, 2016 08:46AM

Statistical.Data Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There were 23 homes demolished as part of that
> project. According to records on file with the
> County, the owners were paid anywhere from
> $108,236 to $273,428.

What year?

By 2005, 2006 at the peak of the market those houses would have been worth 400-500k. Some worth more.

Posted by: VDOT eminent domain ()
Date: May 02, 2016 09:12AM

Hmm, interesting. VDOT typically pays a 10-20% premium to landowners when taking property via eminent domain for road projects as a "sorry for the inconvenience, but get going now" incentive. I know because it happened to my folks twice growing up, once when I was 10, and again at 17. Not sure if that was lucky or unlucky in the long run.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: May 02, 2016 09:43AM

VDOT eminent domain Wrote:
> Hmm, interesting. VDOT typically pays a 10-20%
> premium to landowners when taking property via
> eminent domain for road projects as a "sorry for
> the inconvenience, but get going now" incentive.
> I know because it happened to my folks twice
> growing up, once when I was 10, and again at 17.
> Not sure if that was lucky or unlucky in the long
> run.

curious, which roads wiped your home(s) out?

Posted by: TWDvE ()
Date: May 02, 2016 11:50AM

VDOT eminent domain Wrote:
> Hmm, interesting. VDOT typically pays a 10-20%
> premium to landowners when taking property via
> eminent domain for road projects as a "sorry for
> the inconvenience, but get going now" incentive.
> I know because it happened to my folks twice
> growing up, once when I was 10, and again at 17.
> Not sure if that was lucky or unlucky in the long
> run.

10-20% premium over what?

Percentages are useless without knowing the basis for calculating them.

Date: May 02, 2016 03:07PM

What year did this happen? Very important.

Date: May 02, 2016 03:21PM

What year? Wrote:
> Statistical.Data Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There were 23 homes demolished as part of that
> > project. According to records on file with the
> > County, the owners were paid anywhere from
> > $108,236 to $273,428.
>
> What year?
>
> By 2005, 2006 at the peak of the market those
> houses would have been worth 400-500k. Some worth
> more.

Yes, you're right. That was the market value. But, that's not what you asked...

Posted by: ShitHoleHood ()
Date: May 02, 2016 03:32PM

All the houses in that hood are shithole ghetto. The entire neighborhood near Lee HS should be razed.

Date: May 03, 2016 01:53AM

Statistical.Data Wrote:
> What year? Wrote:
> -----
> > Statistical.Data Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > There were 23 homes demolished as part of
> that
> > > project. According to records on file with
> the
> > > County, the owners were paid anywhere from
> > > $108,236 to $273,428.
> >
> > What year?
> >
> > By 2005, 2006 at the peak of the market those
> > houses would have been worth 400-500k. Some
> worth
> > more.
>
> Yes, you're right. That was the market value. But,
> that's not what you asked...

So what year were they forced to sell and move?

Posted by: Doesnt matter ()
Date: May 03, 2016 01:57AM

ShitHoleHood Wrote:
> All the houses in that hood are shithole ghetto.
> The entire neighborhood near Lee HS should be
> razed.

Doesn't matter. Those houses are across the street from a major shopping center. Walking distance to public transportation. The owners of those houses should have been paid more than what they were paid.

Date: May 03, 2016 09:55AM

What year? Wrote:
> Statistical.Data Wrote:
> -----
> > What year? Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Statistical.Data Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > There were 23 homes demolished as part of
> > that
> > > > project. According to records on file with
> > the
> > > > County, the owners were paid anywhere from
> > > > $108,236 to $273,428.
> > >
> > > What year?
> > >
> > > By 2005, 2006 at the peak of the market those
> > > houses would have been worth 400-500k. Some
> > worth
> > > more.
> >
> > Yes, you're right. That was the market value.
> But,
> > that's not what you asked...
>
> So what year were they forced to sell and move?

What do I get out of the deal? Nothing's for nothin'...

If you wanna' know the answer, come on down to the County's records office and fill out a form requesting the report. Who knows? You might even get to meet me while you're here...

Posted by: Billy ()
Date: May 03, 2016 10:28AM

Early 90's and it was well over market value

Posted by: BULLSHIT! ()
Date: May 03, 2016 12:49PM

Billy Wrote:
> Early 90's and it was well over market value

That shit did not happen in the early 90s. Houses were all still there at that time.

Posted by: Lived Here Forever ()
Date: May 03, 2016 03:08PM

Not just behind Luskin's. Look where Bison St is now. It used to turn left from where it ends and parallel Bowie down to Cimarron. All those houses on both sides gone.

Posted by: TN7p3 ()
Date: May 05, 2016 05:01PM

TN7p3

Posted by: Progress? ()
Date: May 05, 2016 11:18PM

There were probably at least 50 houses throughout that neighborhood purchased by Fairfax county back in the mid to late 90s for all the widening projects on I95 and Franconia Rd. The county bought most houses on Bison St and Franconia Rd, and a few each on Pioneer Dr, Apache St and Frontier Dr. Check them out on Fairfax County Real Estate Assessment website.

Posted by: Mrs. Hoyt Chick ()
Date: May 05, 2016 11:23PM

22/98 - Springfield, VA Bison Street - Neighborhood cleared for highway - Hoyt Chick, 73, sits on the porch of his home that is due to be demolished for the expansion of the I-395/495 interchange. - Photo By Gerald Martineau TWP
June 22, 1998

Posted by: Will there be anything else? ()
Date: May 05, 2016 11:34PM

HOUSES FALL AS ROAD WORK GEARS UP IN SPRINGFIELD
By Alice Reid June 23, 1998
Yesterday marked the beginning of the end for Bison Street in Springfield.

As neighbors stood watching in the hot sun, a 40-ton demolition machine crunched its way through No. 6747, the first of 56 houses to be razed for a new, improved Springfield interchange.

The $350 million highway project will sort out the tangle of roadways where the Capital Beltway and Interstates 95 and 395 come together in Northern Virginia, a spot infamously known as the Mixing Bowl. Work is expected to take a decade and to create a commuting nightmare in the meantime.

It took less than two hours for the orange Hitachi track hoe to chew its way through the first home. Like the head of a giant mechanical tyrannosaur, its toothed hydraulic bucket ground up drywall, floor joists, two-by-fours, plywood floors and bits of carpet like so many cornflakes.

By the end of the day, three suburban homes had been reduced to mounds of rubble. Transportation officials hope to demolish seven more by July 4. One day, in place of what is now a neighborhood, there will be sound walls, grassy hillocks, trees and a new highway access ramp -- all part of the largest and most complex highway project ever attempted in Northern Virginia. The reconfigured interchange will include more than 40 bridges and flyovers as well as 21 traffic lanes, making it safer and more efficient for the 370,000 vehicles that use it every day, highway engineers say.

Many residents of Bison Street agree that traffic needs sorting out, but seeing their neighborhood destroyed takes an emotional toll.

"It's wrenching, terribly wrenching," said Hoyt Chick, 73, one of the original residents of Bison Street.

Yesterday, as the demolition crew did its work across the street, he sat in his paneled living room filled with antiques and mementos and spoke sadly of having to leave.

"I've never had another circumstance in my life over which I had so little control," said Chick, a retired lumber salesman. "You have no idea of the gamut of human experience and human emotion that accompanies a forced evacuation. I've lived over half my life here."

Chick, who has reached an agreement with state officials on the price of his house, is negotiating to buy a house in Burke and expects to move out by Sept. 1. Since January, the other two original residents have died.

Yesterday's demolitions "bring us one step closer to actual construction, which we're expecting to begin early next year," said Joan Morris, spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of Transportation, which is in charge of the project. "It's our version of the Big Dig,' " she added, referring to the long-running project in Boston to bury I-95 through that city.

Fairfax County Supervisor T. Dana Kauffman (D-Lee), whose district includes Bison Street, said that while it is unfortunate that the neighborhood must disappear, the Mixing Bowl project is crucial.

"The Springfield interchange has been a traffic backup and an exhaust-pumping nuisance for years," Kauffman said. "Finally, we're going to get separate lanes for traffic going in all directions. And let's not forget that what is driving this project is the decision years ago not to run I-95 through D.C. This interchange was never designed to take what it gets."

VDOT is still developing plans to get 6,000 vehicles a day out of the interchange during construction. If those plans fail, commuters will face rush-hour delays of 30 to 60 minutes as they try to negotiate what will be a five-mile work zone.

Five houses down from Chick, Kathy Bradley, 36, shares her neighbors' grief, even though she has rented there for only a year.

She'd like to leave as soon as possible, mainly because she has been disturbed by having empty, stripped-down homes across the street awaiting the wreckers.

"We've seen a lot of mice recently, and we had a problem in the early part of the winter with vagrants sleeping in some of the houses," she said.

Thieves and looters have struck several homes, even digging up and carting away a large Japanese maple tree from one yard.

As the track hoe did its work, a Bison Street resident who was recently in the news swept the driveway next door at the tidy, white clapboard house he shares with his parents. Omar Sheikh, 29, made headlines last spring when he was indicted on charges of stealing a gun and firing into a nearby building, where a bullet gravely injured an office worker. Sheikh said he only recently got out of jail on bond.

"Yes, we're selling our house," he said, sadly. "Maybe we'll leave the state of Virginia."

VDOT officials, who estimate that the state paid an average of $160,000 each for the 35 1960-era homes on the west side of Bison, said yesterday that months of preparation were necessary before yesterday's demolition could begin. Some useful building material was removed beforehand, but many individual features await destruction.

Local Headlines newsletter
Daily headlines about the Washington region.
"There's beautiful kitchen cabinets and sinks, but it's just not worth salvaging all of it," project supervisor Mike Shaw said. "This job has to get done in a certain amount of time."

In a few months nothing will be left but the 35-foot magnolias and maples, and bulldozers will take care of those later.

In the meantime, the Hitachi 300 will do its work.

"We'll crush them, and pack them and haul them away in Dumpsters," John Mohandesi, a VDOT supervisor, said of the houses.

Basements will be filled with dirt, and the ground will be seeded and sodded with grass. And that will be the end of Bison Street. CAPTION: Hoyt Chick and daughter Lisa watch as a house on Bison Street in Springfield is torn down. The demolition marks the start of a decade of work on the interchange of the Capital Beltway and Interstates 95 and 395. CAPTION: Hoyt Chick, 73, sits at his home, scheduled for demolition as part of the work on the Springfield interchange. He said he has lived more than half his life there.

Posted by: jsmith ()
Date: May 06, 2016 12:17AM

I ate too many BBQ potato chips in a house, now gone, on Bison around 1980--to this day, I still can't taste one without throwing up. Also on Bison was the house from which a Lee classmate fired shots at a building across 95 at some point in the late 1990s, maybe striking a defense contractor? If I recall correctly, he was from Thailand, and was an absolute master at Tempest in Timeout.

Timeout...those were the days.

Posted by: dDmkK ()
Date: May 06, 2016 01:08AM

258t17t.png

Why in the hell are you guys talking about Bison Street.

Bison Street is nowhere near where the topic of this thread is about.

The area in red is the area originally being discussed in this thread.

Posted by: Wtbae ()
Date: May 06, 2016 01:23AM

jsmith Wrote:
> I ate too many BBQ potato chips in a house, now
> gone, on Bison around 1980--to this day, I still
> can't taste one without throwing up. Also on
> Bison was the house from which a Lee classmate
> fired shots at a building across 95 at some point
> in the late 1990s, maybe striking a defense
> contractor? If I recall correctly, he was from
> Thailand, and was an absolute master at Tempest in
> Timeout.
>
> Timeout...those were the days.

See article linked . Omar sheikh referenced will there be anything else?

Posted by: Cowboy bob ()
Date: May 06, 2016 01:25AM

Bison street is indeed near where luskins was. Neighborhood had all western themed streets...Bowie, Bison, frontier, pioneer, so cheesy

Posted by: Behind Luskins ()
Date: May 06, 2016 01:48AM

Cowboy bob Wrote:
> Bison street is indeed near where luskins was.
> Neighborhood had all western themed
> streets...Bowie, Bison, frontier, pioneer, so
> cheesy

I do not doubt what you are saying but the topic of this thread clearly states "behind Luskins across the street from Springfiled Mall on Franconia"

Posted by: 6Ge34 ()
Date: May 06, 2016 01:59AM

2lucuwo.png

2rm19q9.png

I have managed to find an image of the area in question. If you look at the image at the very top you will notice there was a side street that ran alongside Franconia where these houses once stood.

The side street and houses are no longer there and have since been replaced by trees and a huge wall.

Posted by: Watusaa ()
Date: May 06, 2016 08:21AM

That first picture looks like a toll gate. You a troll?

Posted by: LEE HIGH SCHOOL ()
Date: May 06, 2016 01:01PM

Watusaa Wrote:
> That first picture looks like a toll gate. You a
> troll?

Those are Lee High School's football stadium lights.

They are visible in both pictures.

You do not recognize them?

Posted by: Springfieldlly ()
Date: May 08, 2016 06:33AM

There was a 7-11, dry cleaners and a gas station at the corner of Commerce St and Old Keene Mill Rd that got paid well too.

Posted by: Bernie ()
Date: May 25, 2016 04:18PM

9 or 10 houses were demolished. They all had backyard neighbors on Buckskin Street. Just count the houses on Buckskin plus the last house on Frontier that was also demolished.

Posted by: Bernie Bennick ()
Date: July 14, 2016 10:34PM

9 or 10 houses were demolished. They all had backyard neighbors on Buckskin Street. Just count the houses on Buckskin plus the last house on Frontier that was also demolished.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.