HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County DOT Fucked Up Braddock Road
Posted by: Braddock District Drivers ()
Date: April 26, 2016 11:28PM

Fairfax County DOT decided to cut the number of through lanes on Braddock Road westbound at Wakefield Chapel Rd from 4 lanes to 3 lanes. Where did that 25% of cars end up?

BACKED UP TWO MILES ONTO THE BELTWAY.

There was a reason that VDOT refused to approve or support this change.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County DOT Fucked Up Braddock Road
Posted by: 7510 ()
Date: April 26, 2016 11:34PM

I saw this today, going west from the beltway, confused me for a sec. What exactly is the goal here? Are the going to extend the Wakefield Chapel Road left turn lane on the eastbound side?

Posted by: Stones. ()
Date: April 26, 2016 11:43PM

Yeah drove through this today. No way in hell this is the way it's supposed to be. What a mess and wtf are they doing?....all for an extra 30 feet of lane for people coming eastbound to turn on to Wakefield chapel?

Posted by: 236 ()
Date: April 26, 2016 11:47PM

The good news is that now more people will bail off at little river turnpike because between the beltway and Fairfax, that's always been pretty traffic free.

Posted by: Thucydides ()
Date: April 27, 2016 07:48AM

If VDOT didn't approve or support the change, then how did it happen?

Posted by: Uhrgds ()
Date: April 27, 2016 07:51AM

236 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The good news is that now more people will bail
> off at little river turnpike because between the
> beltway and Fairfax, that's always been pretty
> traffic free.

Not anymore. Little river Turnpike was backed up from Annandale to guinea Road yesterday afternoon.

Whoever designed this new traffic pattern on Braddock Road needs to be fired.

Posted by: Local Control ()
Date: April 27, 2016 07:54AM

They did this just to remind us why roads need to be managed by the state and not local governments.

Fairfax DOT received a call from a local political bigwig and told to "do something" and this is the result.

VDOT would have told them to pound sand instead.

Posted by: Who benefits? ()
Date: April 27, 2016 07:55AM

What I don't understand is who benefits from this change? It just adds more cars onto the neighborhood streets to avoid Braddock Road and Little river Turnpike.

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: April 27, 2016 08:35AM

Since it's a county project, my question is why Supervisor Cook didn't ask the DOT to start the project in the summer break when school is out and traffic is lighter. No brainer here.

Posted by: local ()
Date: April 27, 2016 08:38AM

and whats further fucked is that it wasn't broken in the first place....yes, the left lane flow (east onto wakefield) would slow in the a.m. due to morning classes at nvcc but it wasn't that bad and it is really only for a short time span not the entire rush hour....and certainly nothing 30 extra feet would fix anyway.....but now we are all fucked for the ENTIRE p.m. rush hour with the loss of that lane....SOMEBODY FUCKED UP BAD!...totally believable though when you see first hand how incredibly disfunctional the county is....if you folks only knew

Posted by: Well? ()
Date: April 27, 2016 09:02AM

local Wrote:
> ....SOMEBODY FUCKED UP BAD!...totally
> believable though when you see first hand how
> incredibly disfunctional the county is....if you
> folks only knew

Do tell

Posted by: Arlington Streetcar Cmte. ()
Date: April 27, 2016 10:11AM

You should take Metro and avoid the traffic.

washington-metro-accident.jpg

Posted by: MMkHY ()
Date: April 28, 2016 09:25AM

MMkHY

Posted by: Temporary ()
Date: April 28, 2016 09:33AM

Posted by: Temporary? ()
Date: April 28, 2016 11:20AM

As you may have noticed, traffic signs along Braddock Road have begun alerting motorists to forthcoming changing traffic patterns. It is important to note that this work has nothing to do with the ongoing Braddock Road study, but rather is a separate project altering turn lanes.

The project is extending the turn lanes from eastbound Braddock Road to northbound Wakefield Chapel Road as well as the left turns from westbound Braddock Road to southbound Danbury Forest Drive.Beginning Thursday, March 17th, the striping company will begin to eradicate existing pavement markings and set temporary markings. The project will be done no later than May 31st, but is expected sooner. Mostly, the work will consist of paving and laying new lane markings as well as removing and rebuilding the concrete median strip that sits between Danbury and Wakefield to allow longer turning queues. It will not touch the grassy median strips either to the east or west of the project area. Following this work, the “Don’t Block the Box” markings will be reapplied. There will be no lane closures during rush hour, but work will occur between 9:30 am and 3 pm.

What I noticed is that where there were four through lanes there are now only three heading west.

Why is that not in their presser?

Posted by: Mower Union ()
Date: April 28, 2016 01:24PM

THANK GOD THAT THEY ARE NOT TOUCHING THE GRASSY MEDIAN STRIPS. SO IMPORTANT.

Posted by: local ()
Date: April 28, 2016 01:48PM

I don't get it. Looking at the map there's only so much room both lanes have to share along the median. How can they both be extended. ?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Braddock+Rd,+Virginia/@38.8109822,-77.2361383,158m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b64dacfbf3a36b:0xf59dfe2d2fbcb81a

Posted by: vcTFE ()
Date: April 28, 2016 02:00PM

Mower Union Wrote:
> THANK GOD THAT THEY ARE NOT TOUCHING THE GRASSY
> MEDIAN STRIPS. SO IMPORTANT.

They are because that's where they'll put the HOV lanes eventually.

You think that I'm kidding... lol

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: April 28, 2016 02:13PM

Meh...what traffic? I'm so glad I took a telecommuting job. Doubled my salary and put years back on my life not schlepping in traffic everyday.

"They are all animals...so, I say let them lose their souls."

Posted by: FCDOT ()
Date: April 28, 2016 02:31PM

vcTFE Wrote:
> Mower Union Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > THANK GOD THAT THEY ARE NOT TOUCHING THE GRASSY
> > MEDIAN STRIPS. SO IMPORTANT.
>
>
> They are because that's where they'll put the HOV
> lanes eventually.
>
> You think that I'm kidding... lol

TUESDAY, APRIL 26, 2016

HOV lanes considered for Braddock Road

The Fairfax County Department of Transportation is considering several options for relieving congestion on Braddock Road, including high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes, intersection improvements, and a transit center to allow more bus service.

Officials from FCDOT gave a presentation on the Braddock Road study for a large crowd of residents at a meeting hosted by Braddock Supervisor John Cook April 25. A citizens task force appointed by Cook in 2014 is also exploring traffic improvements for Braddock Road, and its recommendations are being reviewed as part of the FCDOT analysis.

The study area covers Braddock Road between Guinea Road and Ravensworth Road. (The changes under discussion are not related to the current work underway on Braddock Road.)

If no changes are made, traffic delays through the corridor area would increase by 144 percent during the morning rush hour and 260 percent during the evening peak period by 2040, according to a presentation by FCDOT transportation planner Michael Guarino.

Improvements are being considered for 10 intersections: Guinea Road, Rolling Road, Burke Lake Road, Kings Park Road, Grantham Street, Danbury Forest Drive, Wakefield Chapel Road, the beltway, Port Royal Road, and Ravensworth Road.

For most of those intersections, FCDOT is looking at making them right-turn only for drivers entering Braddock Road. People trying to turn left onto Braddock would have to make a U-turn. At the beltway, the plan calls for the southbound I-495 ramp to Port Royal Road to be relocated and the northbound I-495 ramp to eastbound Braddock Road to be realigned.

According to Guarino, there would be significant traffic improvements if the intersection improvements are made whether or not an additional lane is added to Braddock Road. The HOV lanes won’t work, however, unless the intersections are improved, too.

The option for widening Braddock Road calls for an additional general purpose lane or an HOV lane between Burke Lake Road and the beltway. As a result, Braddock would go from three to four lanes in each direction.

There are two options for the HOV lanes: on the inside of the road next to a grassy median or on the outer edge of the road. Both options call for a bicycle lane on the outer edge separated from the traffic lanes by a grassy median.

If a decision is made to widen Braddock Road between the beltway and Burke Lake Road, Guarino says, it won’t be effective unless an additional lane is also added between Burke Lake Road and Guinea Road.

According to FCDOT Director Tom Biesiadny, the right of way along Braddock Road is so wide, the additional lanes can be created without tearing down any homes.

There are four options for a transit center: on the western side of the Northern Virginia (NOVA) Training Center, the eastern side of the NOVA Training Center, the Kings Park Shopping Center with surface parking, and the Kings Park Shopping Center with garage parking. The NOVA Training Center, a state agency, closed in March. The property is likely to be redeveloped at a some point.

A transit center would allow more bus routes, including connections to local bus service and transfers to express buses, and improved access to Metro stations. It would have commuter parking, a kiss-and-ride area, bicycle storage, safe pedestrian and bicycle access, and a ticketing booth.

According to Cook, the county has funding to complete about 75 percent of the Braddock Road project. Funding for extending an additional lane to Guinea Road is not available.

Next steps include more in-depth traffic modeling on the Braddock corridor, an analysis of the traffic impact at the transit center sites, and development of preferred alternatives. There will be another community meeting in November.

FCDOT is soliciting feedback from the public. Submit comments online.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/braddockroadmmstudy/

Posted by: writing on the wall ()
Date: April 28, 2016 02:43PM

I've been to these meetings, and every time, the majority of the people argue against this "transit center" going into/near Kings Park Shopping Center. There is literally no room there and the traffic is already tough. And yet, no matter how many times this is argued against by the public, it seems that location again and again remains as an option, while other options they were originally considering are now gone. I'm thinking -- that ridiculous transit center is going right in Kings Shopping Center. Because that will help and the officials are really listening to the public on this one...sarcasm>

Posted by: Fundamentally TransformingFairfa ()
Date: April 28, 2016 03:07PM

It's almost time to move out of the area ... More bus traffic -- HOV LANES going down Braddock!
It's going to be more crowded ...
Transit center itself will bring way more traffic -- and ALL at once.

Traffic noise ... those darn "sound barrier" walls, don't work -- they should have left the trees alone -- the trees and foilage did a much better job at keeping traffic noise out of the neighborhoods along 495.

We're morphing at a good rate ... Expandin' the Concrete Jungle!

Posted by: THE GOVERNMENT ()
Date: April 28, 2016 03:23PM

Sell and move if you don't like it. Fuck you!

Posted by: New to the area? ()
Date: April 28, 2016 05:12PM

Braddock District Drivers Wrote:
> Fairfax County DOT decided to cut the number of
> through lanes on Braddock Road westbound at
> Wakefield Chapel Rd from 4 lanes to 3 lanes.

New to the area?

That's been the traffic pattern on Braddock for at least 15 years.

Posted by: Temporary?? ()
Date: June 06, 2016 12:12PM

I thought that the lane closure was temporary according to a link posted above. It looks like the construction is finished (in terms of the turn lanes being extended), but the left lane still ends prior to Danbury Forest. I tried to find an update, but was not successful. Does anyone have any additional information? Thank you.

Posted by: ManipulatingTheMassesFFXDOT ()
Date: June 06, 2016 12:40PM

Just haul ass down that left lane until just before it ends ... and cross over 3 lanes to the right consecutively .. and keep on hauling ass down that far right lane ... for making the best timing through that waste of tax dollars -- thing they call an "improvement".

Posted by: Commuter ()
Date: June 06, 2016 01:14PM

Indications that this project was a failure:

Increased traffic accidents.
Reduced from four lanes to three lanes westbound at the Wakefield Chapel light.
Continued backups onto the beltway.
Lots of horn-hoking as people try to squeeze in from the terminated left lane at the last minute.
Still can't make a safe left turn from Braddock to Danbury Forest.
Still can't make a safe left turn from Danbury Forest to Braddock.
Still have delays eastbound caused by the people wanting to turn left from Braddock to Wakefield Chapel.

The real fix is a grade-separated intersection there.

Posted by: Mind bottled ()
Date: June 06, 2016 01:39PM

Seriously, what was the point of all this? This road is fucked now.

Posted by: Disgruntled ()
Date: June 06, 2016 01:57PM

Probably Vivian Watts. That is one worthless politician

Posted by: Dumbass Carpetbaggers ()
Date: June 06, 2016 02:04PM

Only fucking idiots would buy houses along Braddock Road corridor.
You only have yourselves to blame. Next time, use a little common sense.

Date: June 06, 2016 02:05PM

People should stop trying to turn left onto Danbury Forest Road, especially during rush hour. A majority of them are commuters cutting through, they can turn more safely at the light.

And only an idiot tries to make a left turn off Danbury Forest across 4 lanes of traffic. Plan better, spend an extra 3 minutes of your time to go in and out at the traffic light.

I'd vote to completely shut Danbury Forest down and extend the woods.

Posted by: mVUtk ()
Date: June 06, 2016 04:59PM

Commuter Wrote:
> Indications that this project was a failure:
>
> Increased traffic accidents.
> Reduced from four lanes to three lanes westbound
> at the Wakefield Chapel light.
> Continued backups onto the beltway.
> Lots of horn-hoking as people try to squeeze in
> from the terminated left lane at the last minute.
> Still can't make a safe left turn from Braddock to
> Danbury Forest.
> Still can't make a safe left turn from Danbury
> Forest to Braddock.
> Still have delays eastbound caused by the people
> wanting to turn left from Braddock to Wakefield
> Chapel.
>
> The real fix is a grade-separated intersection
> there.

yea it didnt work - made things worse.

Posted by: New Timer ()
Date: June 06, 2016 05:14PM

...on Google maps looks like someone got lazy and forgot to have Danbury connect into Braddock at the light at Wakefield Chapel. I see the little creek, but how hard would that be?

Posted by: can't do that ()
Date: June 06, 2016 09:42PM

Disgruntled Wrote:

>
> I'd vote to completely shut Danbury Forest down
> and extend the woods.

That would also solve the problem, but it's a "diverse" neighborhood back there and the Southampton residents don't want that sort of traffic at "their" traffic light.

The Kings Park Madonna would never allow it.

Posted by: Dis ()
Date: June 07, 2016 09:51AM

that little creek is in a flood plain area and would have to be built up in order to build a bridge over it - regulations don't like it. Would make more sense to move that nice little park from the right side to the left side and shift Wakefield chapel over to meet Danbury Forest.

Date: June 07, 2016 09:53AM

Huh. I live in KP and the additional traffic from Danbury Forest residents wouldn't amount to much. It is more the townhouses don't want to have to travel up to the light. traffic cutting through the neighborhood isn't as much of a problem as the idiot drivers who speed and don't give a crap about the people walking or trying to get in and out of their driveway. A little courtesy from everyone would go a long way.....

Posted by: raisethe ()
Date: June 07, 2016 10:08AM

writing on the wall Wrote:
> I've been to these meetings, and every time, the
> majority of the people argue against this "transit
> center" going into/near Kings Park Shopping
> Center. There is literally no room there and the
> traffic is already tough. And yet, no matter how
> many times this is argued against by the public,
> it seems that location again and again remains as
> an option, while other options they were
> originally considering are now gone. I'm thinking
> -- that ridiculous transit center is going right
> in Kings Shopping Center. here>Because that will help and the officials are
> really listening to the public on this one... sarcasm>

They should run VRE rail from Port Royal along Flag Run to the current line off Southern Drive (through Accotink Park) - make the Port Royal a hub for bus and rail into the city. Take a dozen of those industrial buildings and put in a staion, raised parking structures and some apartment buildings. widen Port Royal to add 2 lanes to Port Royal and you have an excellent hub. You could even put another entrance onto the beltway at the end of port royal.

Posted by: Supervisor Cook Speaks Out ()
Date: June 08, 2016 08:17AM

A few years ago, various homeowners and civic associations came together with Supervisor Cook’s Office, the Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT), and the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) to study the Danbury/Wakefield intersection and made recommendations to improve traffic flow and safety.

One of the interim recommendations of that study was to extend the left turn lanes at these intersections, as well as adjust the concrete medians accordingly, to allow for longer turning queues. This would help lower the amount of vehicles overflowing into the general purpose lanes, thereby improving both thru traffic flow and safety. Before this change was implemented, VDOT required that the left general lane east of Wakefield Chapel be dropped due to safety considerations and replaced with a turn lane that begins east of the intersection.

The elimination of this general purpose lane has caused significant traffic delays and we have heard from many of you about this issue. Since the closure, Supervisor Cook has been in regular contact with FCDOT and VDOT imploring them to take action and identify a way to restore the lost lane.

Recently we were informed by FCDOT that the two transportation agencies are in agreement that the through-lane should be restored, and they believe that they have found a way to bring the dropped lane back within the existing right-of-way. Currently, designs are being worked with that goal in mind, and we expect to see a proposal in the first half of July. We will be sure to communicate any developments to the public as they occur.

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: July 08, 2016 03:43PM

"Wakefield Chapel Rd. /Danbury Forest Dr. Intersection Traffic Update

A few years ago, various homeowners and civic associations came together with Supervisor Cook’s Office, the Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT), and the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) to study the Danbury/Wakefield intersection and made recommendations to improve traffic flow and safety.

One of the interim recommendations of that study was to extend the left turn lanes at these intersections, as well as adjust the concrete medians accordingly, to allow for longer turning queues. This would help lower the amount of vehicles overflowing into the general purpose lanes, thereby improving both thru traffic flow and safety. Before this change was implemented, VDOT required that the left general lane east of Wakefield Chapel be dropped due to safety considerations and replaced with a turn lane that begins east of the intersection.

The elimination of this general purpose lane has caused significant traffic delays and we have heard from many of you about this issue. Since the closure, Supervisor Cook has been in regular contact with FCDOT and VDOT imploring them to take action and identify a way to restore the lost lane.

Recently we were informed by FCDOT that the two transportation agencies are in agreement that the through-lane should be restored, and they believe that they have found a way to bring the dropped lane back within the existing right-of-way. Currently, designs are being worked with that goal in mind, and we expect to see a proposal in the first half of July. We will be sure to communicate any developments to the public as they occur."

Source: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/braddock/newsletter/2016/june/communityupdates.htm

Posted by: B.M.M. ()
Date: July 08, 2016 08:04PM

Well it aint no better down on Telegraph Rd in front of Hayfield High School. Put in some traffic calming bullshit.

Posted by: Rokcito ()
Date: July 08, 2016 08:19PM

Call sup. John Cook.

He says don't worry.

The money from the meals tax he supports with Bulova will put it back the way it was. So VOTE for the MEALS TAX in Nov!

Posted by: popes head ()
Date: July 08, 2016 09:12PM

What a mess! Seriously!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.