HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
NCSL Takes Over WAGS League
Posted by: Youth Soccer in Fairfax ()
Date: April 25, 2016 11:28PM

The National Capital Soccer League and the Washington Area Girls Soccer League have agreed to combine the league components of both organizations. Starting with the Fall 2016 season, member clubs will for the first time be able to register both girls and boys teams for play through the National Capital Soccer League, which will administer both leagues.

The National Capital Soccer League and WAGS have for years utilized the same fields, referees, and scheduling software. But even though they shared many of the same resources, those resources were utilized in a parallel, often competitive manner. Recent leadership changes in both organizations led to a more cooperative relationship and a recognition that players, coaches, teams, and clubs would be best served through a merger of league operations.

"We are very excited about the future of NCSL and what the merger with WAGS and the addition of a new girls' league will allow us to do for our member clubs," said NCSL President Richard Smith. "NCSL has long been a premier boys league. With the addition of a girls league, coupled with our ties to the Region 1 Champions League and the expected addition of regionalized play, we believe we are well positioned to help our clubs develop players to the best of their potential."

Sally D’Italia, President of the Washington Area Girls Soccer League states, "The WAGS leadership believes that this joint venture with the National Capital Soccer League will offer girls and young women the opportunity to play soccer at all levels and tailored to their needs and development. And we are excited that WAGS will continue as a separate entity and will now be able to expand on the educational and charitable components that have always been a part of our mission, but were oftentimes overlooked because of the emphasis on league play.”

Details of the merger will be discussed with the leagues’ member clubs at their next respective meetings. For WAGS, a special meeting has been called for May 9. NCSL’s next regularly scheduled meeting is May 2.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NCSL Takes Over WAGS League
Posted by: no mo wags ()
Date: April 26, 2016 06:12AM

this merger is like the confederate and union forces merging at the end of the civil war.

Posted by: We are one ()
Date: April 26, 2016 06:13AM

One league, two sets of administrators. We'll see how long that lasts.

Posted by: Makes no sense ()
Date: April 26, 2016 06:33AM

Why does a lesbo league want to join a heterosexual league?

Posted by: YkpnT ()
Date: April 26, 2016 10:37AM

Too little, too late.

ECNL has destroyed WAGS, and the girls DA will soon destroy ENCL, and the alphabet soup of boys leagues plus the DA makes NCSL a B or C team league at best. The entrenched parental leadership of 5 - 10 years ago doomed both these organizations. I'm not sure how they are better merged - they are basically collapsing into each others arms.

Posted by: It's the leadership, stupid ()
Date: April 26, 2016 10:47AM

If this merger causes Lula Bauer and her minions to depart youth soccer forever then it will be a good day for all.

Posted by: Suggests? ()
Date: April 26, 2016 11:35PM

For decades both WAGS and NCSL occupied dominant positions on the youth soccer landscape in the D.C., Maryland and Virginia region, only to see their centrality fade as new organizations rose to prominence in a rapidly-evolving field. Monday’s news suggests a new realization that they can weather these storms more effectively together than in opposition.

Or, this just prolongs the demise of both leagues.

Posted by: Jerry I ()
Date: April 26, 2016 11:37PM

I'm sure more will come out, but WAGS is withering on the vine because they are bleeding their top teams at an unsustainable pace. They need to make the case that their D1 and D2 is the place for top teams, or at a minimum the B squads from the top clubs... I just don't see how this merger addresses that issue.

Posted by: O.C. ()
Date: April 26, 2016 11:38PM

Sure, if you want your kid to strive to make a NAIA or NCAA Division III squad, then by all means go for NCSL so you don't have to drive far and can spend more time doing whatever it is that you do as a "family".

But if you actually love your kid and want them to reach their potential as the next Landon or Mia, then you have to hit the road. Gas up the Ford Explorer, harvest your Marriott Rewards points, drop your affair partner, and travel travel travel.

It's up to you.

Posted by: feet ()
Date: April 27, 2016 08:05AM

Suggests? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Or, this just prolongs the demise of both leagues.

Yup. Better coaching elsewhere, without the bs.

Posted by: Lula victim ()
Date: April 27, 2016 11:47AM

AMEN! That woman is poison.

Posted by: Uppity libs ()
Date: April 27, 2016 12:14PM

Gotta love it that my uppity liberal neighbors brag about the quality of the teams in WAGS vs. NCSL or ODSL. My kids ODSL team wipes the floor with them at tournaments.

Posted by: PtpKb ()
Date: April 28, 2016 09:35AM

PtpKb

Posted by: ex-wags ()
Date: May 10, 2016 09:48PM

Dear WAGS Members,

For those of you who do not recognize my name, I was the president of WAGS from December 1997- July 2014. During the spring of 2014, I was asked by Sally D’Italia if I would consider taking the job of Executive Director. After much thought, I agreed. I tendered my resignation on May 7, 2015, after ten months. It was the right decision for me.

My reason for this email is the Special Meeting called for to discuss and “ratify” the decision by the Board of Directors to “merge” with NCSL. I believe that this would be a personal affront to the founders of WAGS in so many ways. The membership of WAGS has a separate identity, which is immediately evident when you review the bylaws and rules. The decision [of] lumping both leagues into one organization does not seem to benefit the players of WAGS in any way. Being the biggest is not so impressive when it doesn’t permit you to concentrate on the specific needs/desires of your membership.

A little history… some 40 years ago, young women wished to play at a higher competitive level. A few determined women petitioned the local boys travel league, NCSL, asking permission to play in the league. The answer was a resounding NO. That was the birth of the Washington Area Girls Soccer League. This organization serves female soccer players from across the metropolitan area and beyond, that want to improve the level of their game. WAGS runs a hugely successful tournament that allows it to remain financially solvent and provide funding for enrichment programs for its members. Even with other leagues springing up, WAGS currently serves almost 500 teams. It is a viable, financially solvent organization. What is it that would cause the current Board of Directors to decide to throw in the towel and hand the league over to NCSL? Because let’s face it, this is not a merger. It is an acquisition. All players will be registered as NCSL players. They will abide by NCSL rules and NCSL bylaws. They will pay into NCSL coffers. WAGS, as a league, will have 40 years of history flushed away…by the same league that refused to allow girls to play all those many years ago. Somehow, that just doesn’t seem ethical.

According to a letter sent to NCSL members, this project has been in the works for the past year. If that is the case, why did the WAGS Club Reps not hear about it until 14 days before the “Special Meeting”? Why does the membership not get an active voice in this decision and the process leading up to it?

Some other questions that you should ask before allowing a vote to be tallied:

* Why didn’t you allow us to participate in such a major decision?

* What will happen to the $1.6 million set aside for WAGS membership?

* If we choose not to ratify your action to turn WAGS into a “foundation,” what will you do moving forward?

* Please share with us the reasons that you feel this radical decision is necessary?

* Did all Board members vote to approve? If not, what was the count?

* Are there minutes from previous meetings regarding these actions? If they were discussed in an executive session, please provide us with the summary of actions taken.

* We already share fields, scheduling systems and referees. If this is an attempt to club schedule as a whole, why can’t we accomplish it through the same systems?

* Why the rush? Why can’t we be part of the process and decide over the course of the next year if this is the right decision for the league?

* What voice, if any, will WAGS have in policies and bylaw changes at the state level?

* Will coaches and managers be able to contact the league office when they have a question or concern, or will only the club rep be permitted to contact an administrator?

Please know that I am sending this to you only because I care very deeply for the league and do not believe that this current plan will be beneficial to the WAGS membership. I have no intention of re-entering WAGS as either a volunteer or employee. I just can’t imagine not at least trying to make sure that this important monument is not washed away with no good reason….and no input from the members.

I am hoping that this letter gave each of you some food for thought and that you will think long and hard before the ratification of this “merger.”

With that said, I have, and will continue to have, only best wishes for WAGS success.

Yours in soccer,

Kathie Diapoulis

Posted by: Old Ladies Begone ()
Date: May 10, 2016 09:51PM

The old ladies of WAGS did not take the advice that it was time for them to step aside. Now they are being pushed.

Posted by: Former President Speaks ()
Date: May 21, 2016 01:10PM

Former WAGS president Kathie Diapoulis publicly announced her objections to the merger.

That must count for something, no?

Posted by: How we are remembered ()
Date: May 21, 2016 01:27PM

She must have missed this part of the explanation:

"The current board of WAGS, with the change in presidency, has been good stewards of the leagues finances. We have created an infrastructure that has reduced frivolous and lavish spending and we have established a framework so that spending approval does not lay in the hands of the president only."

Posted by: wags is great ()
Date: May 21, 2016 01:34PM

Posted by: Still Don't Get It ()
Date: May 21, 2016 01:40PM

The WAGS Board just voted to spend $7,500, plus expenses, to send their leadership to breakfast with the NSCAA.

Where everyone will know that they represent zero players.

But it's still a great party.

DISBAND WAGS. RETURN ALL THE MONEY TO THE CLUBS.

Posted by: Hot? ()
Date: May 21, 2016 01:43PM

wags is great Wrote:
> https://twitter.com/GretchenHamm

Fundraiser for Arlington Soccer.

Paid?
Hot?

Posted by: MEETING MONDAY ()
Date: May 22, 2016 09:42PM

In another move that screams out that the WAGS Board lives in an alternate reality, they have rented space at the TYSON'S CORNER CROWNE PLAZA for another attempt to justify sending all our teams to NCSL but keeping the money for the Board to use as they wish.

Monday 5/23/2016
WAGS Club Rep Meeting
WAGS/NCSL Merger
Tyson's Corner Crowne Plaza
7:30pm

Two years ago we had $1.6 MILLION in the bank.

Where is all that money today?

Posted by: Negotiated Settlement ()
Date: May 23, 2016 12:33PM

WAGS Board should pay each member club $40,000 in exchange for a promise not to sue them for the way they have mismanaged the league. After all, that's where the money came from.

They can keep the rest for their own exploits and legal fees.

Posted by: coach of girls ()
Date: May 24, 2016 10:58AM

Membership can all thank Lula Bauer for all of this! She showed her ugly self by destroying the WAGS for personal gain. Title IX, she hasn't a clue. She can play with the boys but she cant play with the girls because of her insecurities. Let her go to CCL, sad truth is they don't want her either. Don't get me started on THAT Kerry Diederich! A-hole comes to mind!

Posted by: Take It Up With Staff ()
Date: May 24, 2016 12:46PM

President

Sally D’Italia
301-795-5232
email: Presidentofwagsl@gmail.com

Vice President - Maryland

Jim Bruno
email: jimbruno26@aol.com

Vice President

Lula Bauer
email: lebauer827@aol.com

Vice President - Virginia

Carmen Nicholas
540-898-5090
email: wagscarmenvpva@yahoo.com

Division Structure Director

Kerry Diederich
714-334-6647
email: diederich9@aol.com

Secretary

Debi Honaker
email: dbhonaker@me.com

Treasurer

Pat Lusk
email: patrick.lusk@mantech.com

R & D Director

Amy Thompson
email: wagsrddirector@wagsl.com

Technical Coordinator

Mike Skigen
703-474-9468
email: wagstc@wagsl.com

Posted by: Thank you Lula Bauer ()
Date: May 24, 2016 12:49PM

coach of girls Wrote:
> Membership can all thank Lula Bauer for all of
> this! She showed her ugly self by destroying the
> WAGS for personal gain. Title IX, she hasn't a
> clue. She can play with the boys but she cant
> play with the girls because of her insecurities.
> Let her go to CCL, sad truth is they don't want
> her either. Don't get me started on THAT Kerry
> Diederich! A-hole comes to mind!

Thank you Lula Bauer.

Posted by: Coach of Girls ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:24PM

this is a good use of the monies until now. NSCAA Women's Breakfast. Problem now is WAGS is going to have to explain how the hell they let a boys league corner them, stop WAGS registration, have a vote, send all there teams to a boy league. Trust me, it will not sit well! These are very strong influential women, they will most likely through WAGS out!

Posted by: Aunt M. ()
Date: May 24, 2016 11:02PM

To the girls of WAGS,

I'm sorry your club Presidents let you down and I urge you and your parents to hold them and the WAGS Board accountable for selling you out. They took the word of one man and gave away your league, all without getting what was promised in writing. Your voice in the new league is lost. On the new board you have been afforded 3 slots out of 10. Let me clarify... the girls will get 3 Board slots and the NCSL boys will get 7. That is not equality, something that the founders and prior leaders of WAGS fought so hard for you to have.

At yesterday's WAGS meeting the President of NCSL had 12 WAGS votes. How could that be? Well, certain club Presidents, again with nothing in writing, turned over their proxy and your Board stood by and let it happen. Your club Presidents stood by and let it happen. When the WAGS Board was questioned as to what was going on they said there were no rules stating this couldn't be done. Huh? What about conflict of interest and fairness? What about history and everything this league stood for? Viable alternatives were put forward by conscientious clubs, clubs that wanted to take a step back and give this due diligence but the majority had already been swayed.

Ask your club Presidents what was promised and why it was not put in writing. Make them accountable for the back-alley politicking and blind belief of things that will never be delivered. Their actions have sidelined a once proud, noble and well-loved league — the oldest girls league in the U.S. In the words of the NCSL President, this is the league that gave us Mia Hamm and Ali Krieger — you're damn right it is! This is a league that is nationally and internationally known, where your NCSL league is not.

Finally, I cannot close without pointing out that that 7 out of 9 of your Board took it upon themselves to make the decision to dissolve your league all under the auspices of affording you girls a better opportunity. How is not having a voice a better opportunity? How is 3 slots out of 7 a better opportunity? What is everybody smoking? Don't listen to the hyperbole your Board and league Presidents are giving you. Hold them accountable. Parents, make your club explain why your monies will go into a league where you have no voice. Let me say that again -- a league where WAGS girls, your girls, will have NO VOICE! 3 votes versus 7 for the boys. All this and NCSL is getting the $1.4M in WAGS coffers, too!

I just read how NCSL is excited to announce the formation of a girls-only league. Hmmm.. I'm pretty sure WAGS was a girls only league and didn't have to fight for equality with the boys. NCSL and WAGS -- two leagues who formerly hated one another. Couple that with a WAGS board where the President and Vice President have openly stated they hated one another and you have what, a match made in heaven? I think not!

Posted by: History Bites ()
Date: May 24, 2016 11:07PM

Didn't WAGS try to start a boys league themselves just a few years ago? How did that work out for them? Who was in charge of its success?

And now you whine that the boys are doing what you tried?

I hope those three seats are occupied by new blood. I have had enough of the current and former WAGS boards.

Posted by: NCSL ()
Date: May 24, 2016 11:10PM

Thank you for the $1.6 MILLION donation. We appreciate it.

The Boys

Posted by: New scheduler ()
Date: May 25, 2016 10:05AM

If I never, ever, ever have to communicate with Robin Miller again, then this entire effort will have been worthwhile.

Posted by: Coach MD ()
Date: May 26, 2016 09:38AM

Well, i heard from Bethesda that the WAGS President was sleeping with one of the male BOD members which cause an uproar on the BOD. VP wanted to be Pres, Pres would not step down, and this caused the BOD to be weak - NCSL swooped in and grab what they could...

Posted by: New Coach ()
Date: May 26, 2016 09:50AM

Do you honestly think Kathleen Sessions is any better? The both of them think they are Goddesses to running leagues. they are both "B*&%hes"! Neither have any customer service skills at all! Let Session's think she can manage the 'new" League, what a joke. Next job for Sessions is picking up dog crap out of yards for all the sh&% she has done! and why Richard Smith puts up with it, who knows.

Posted by: Auntm ()
Date: May 26, 2016 04:55PM

I like the analogy both leagues will collaspe into each other's arms because that is assuredly what's going to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 04:57PM by Auntm.

Posted by: Dumb thread ()
Date: May 26, 2016 09:20PM

NCSL is not a boys only league you stupid bitches.

Posted by: Also in MD ()
Date: May 26, 2016 11:45PM

Coach MD Wrote:
> Well, i heard from Bethesda that the WAGS
> President was sleeping with one of the male BOD
> members which cause an uproar on the BOD. VP
> wanted to be Pres, Pres would not step down, and
> this caused the BOD to be weak - NCSL swooped in
> and grab what they could...

You think this is all about WAGS VP wanting to take control? And now without the distraction of actually running a league of teams playing games that the new foundation leaders will just revel in going to breakfasts and dinners with people who want a piece of the bank account?

And you think the foundation will survive the inevitable lawsuit by the member clubs?

Posted by: Next step ()
Date: May 26, 2016 11:46PM

CCL 3 anyone ?

Posted by: Coach MD ()
Date: May 27, 2016 07:19AM

The WAGS membership needs to take action! They should demand to see all minutes - WAGS is in violation right now with not posting them. Past Pres Diapoulis and now current Pres Sally D'Italia hasn't present financials for years. Threats from membership to Treasure at last meeting are WAGS will be reported to IRS/US attorney's office about monies. P England got a copy of the IRS returns from the past several years...

Posted by: parent of grislier player ()
Date: June 15, 2016 02:46PM

WAGS has done a disgrace to women and girls across the board! Big step backwards! WAGS Pres & VP Lula want to pay themselves to run "foundation", to go on trips covered by WAGS, maybe buy themselves cars like the past Pres did. The membership needs to take over!

Posted by: Reelect ()
Date: June 15, 2016 07:23PM

It would certainly be appropriate for the entire board to resign and allow the membership to elect new directors.

Instead, the current board wants certain directors to resign so that they can consolidate their power.

Yes, we see right through their "foundation" scheme that allows them to do what they want with $1.6 MILLION, contracting out the tournament to their for-profit friends, without the nuisance of actually running a league of girl players.

Posted by: WAGS BOD idiots ()
Date: June 18, 2016 08:34AM

Oh lord, the Current WAGS BoD need to go! They are in violation of there by-laws right now with no elections - VP LuLa Bauer (Miss don't record my voice!), Sec Debi Honaker (by the way, where are all the minutes posted.), VP of VA Carmen N (still don't what she does), Tech Dir Mike Skigen(whatever the hell he does)- WAGS is avoiding a Annual Meeting by threats of voting - plenty of nominations to assume there roles!
Where is the WAGS moneies going - Trips (BOD members vacations), NSCAA Convention (party city, connections in more ways then you think, LOL), beach houses, theaters, concerts, family members on payroll, it will never end! All this and they will not support the women's game, shameful. Wait till they start paying themselves for running "foundation" God people, wake up!

WAGS Tournament
Posted by: NY Parent ()
Date: June 28, 2016 02:01PM

So, how can WAGSL run a tournament when they are not a League or Club? VYSA states you must be a League or Club to Host. I called VYSA today, they said they were looking into it and asked the question to the VYSA Sec - who also happens to be WAGSL Sec., you know where i am going with that, geez! WAGSL Tournament site still has old 2015 information on hosting - Kathie Diapoulis, President on paperwork. Does anyone know what is going on with WAGS?

Re: WAGS Tournament
Posted by: Tournaments for Dollars ()
Date: June 28, 2016 06:42PM

NY Parent Wrote:
> So, how can WAGSL run a tournament when they are
> not a League or Club? VYSA states you must be a
> League or Club to Host.

LMVSA or FPYC could both host the tournament, at least on paper, for an appropriate fee. Then they outsource it.

WAGS League drama continues.....
Posted by: CRnVA ()
Date: July 01, 2016 11:41AM

so the drama continues.... got this from my Club Rep:

New WAGS meeting July 19,The meeting will be held at the Crowne Plaza Tysons Corner at 7:00pm (50 percent chance WAGS will cancel like before) - information forum to discuss plans in the future.

so........just give the monies back to the clubs! and move onto another sandbox to play in BOARD, WE DONT WANT YOU! Lawsuits will be comming.

WAGS League drama continues.....
Posted by: CRnVA ()
Date: July 01, 2016 11:44AM

oops, meeting is July 14th

Posted by: Coach VA u14 ()
Date: July 16, 2016 08:32PM

Now what has happen to the WAGS Tournament? No longer posted on VYSA Sanctioned tournament site. Anyone know? Elite and WAGS are not answering phones.....

Posted by: Coach Bob ()
Date: August 16, 2016 06:39PM

Coach VA u14 Wrote:
> Now what has happen to the WAGS Tournament? No
> longer posted on VYSA Sanctioned tournament site.
> Anyone know? Elite and WAGS are not answering
> phones.....

As expected, Lula Bauer has taken over the WAGS tournament, using her Lee Mount Vernon Club name as the hosting club so that it could be approved by VYSA. But it will be a much smaller tournament as few teams have indicated any interest. Talk is that we may just have a showcase in Fredericksburg and avoid paying the new Fairfax County tournament team fees.

Posted by: VA girls team rep ()
Date: August 18, 2016 03:38PM

What the hell is going on with WAGS BOD? Now the tournament is with LMVSC Lula Bauer? Geez! She is a embarrassment to the soccer community! Little miss "don't record my voice" - from last WAGS meeting my club told me i had to go to and vote to save the league! LOL! Elite Tournament can't stand Lula Bauer and a lot of others also.
And the WAGS Pres Sally has not done a thing - The BOD is having a party with the 1.7 million. WAKE UP CLUBS, lets do a class action suit against the BOD!
Girls teams are lost over at NCSL. no one will answer my questions. WAGS BOD just give the monies back to the clubs - just pack up an get the f* out of town!

Posted by: Curious 1 ()
Date: September 20, 2016 08:27PM

It would be interesting to get feedback from the former WAGS teams after a season or so(honeymoon phase)about whether or not they believe it was a good move. There would be several perspectives to consider; coaches, DOCs, families and managers.

Posted by: Travel Parent ()
Date: September 25, 2016 10:24PM

good luck with that! NCSL got what they wanted + double the problems....

WAGS League???? What up????
Posted by: girls travel parent ()
Date: January 21, 2017 09:01PM

What is up lately with WAGS? NCSL got the girls but did they get the money/tournament also? or did WAGS move forward with the "Foundation"? Betting the whole Board went to NSCAA in LA, partied all night, spending the clubs monies.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.