HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Red light Speed camera detector
Posted by: chirs ()
Date: August 26, 2006 11:53PM

Available now - detects all cameras in north america!!
http://www.navalert.com/store no more tickets - finally available in the USA

check out website for video of device in action alerting to a speed camera - !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light Speed camera detector
Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: August 27, 2006 12:03AM

For speed cameras, a radar detector, illegal in VA and DC. You're an idiot. Red light cameras are no longer a problem in VA either. They're also very conspicuous with a sign and a pole with a camera on it. Take your site and shove it up your ass.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 27, 2006 03:32AM

You tell 'em.

Posted by: dosomeresearch ()
Date: September 07, 2006 12:03AM

?? lol its not a radar detector, its fully legal and the sign doesnt tell you if your speeding and to slow down if your about to get a ticket, Research before you speak please.

Date: September 07, 2006 12:16AM

A speed camera uses radar to check your speed. To detect these cameras, you'd need something that can detect radar; something like a RADAR DETECTOR. They are illegal in VA and DC so please explain how your stupid device is any different.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: September 07, 2006 12:31AM

dosomeresearch's writing is so poor I cannot honestly tell what kind of rebuttal he is offering. I am willing to listen to something that is typed in an understandable way.

If a device is capable of detecting radar or laser it is a radar/laser detector. VA law does not say that the product has to be marked or marketed as such to be illegal... any device that meets that end is illegal, period.

The original poster is getting agitated and not explaining how he IS correct. This device appears to be a GPS that stores the KNOWN LOCATIONS of speed cameras and red light cameras, and then uses the gps to track your proximity to these KNOWN locations, and give you warnings much the same way onstar gives you directions to a house or other location. It claims to store 150,000 locations, which probably would be just about every one in the country at this time. I dunno.

So max, he is right, but also stupid at the same time. Only in America!

Date: September 07, 2006 12:56AM

So in essence, calling this device a "detector" is a lie. The device will "detect" cameras that are no longer around in some cases, and will not "detect" any cameras that have been added since the last device "database" update.

I would imagine you have to update the thing via the usb port frequently. A radar detector is not so high-maintenance.

Technically it's in the same vain as cheating in Vegas...you can count cards with your eyes and brain all you want, but as soon as you employ any other device to do that, you're breaking the law. However, DC law does not get so specific, so until they say it, it looks to be legal. And in VA it doesn't matter, those cameras are against state law now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2006 01:03AM by RESton Peace.

JD and Should Be Arrested On Drug
Posted by: Pedro ()
Date: September 07, 2006 06:47AM

"Bong Hit" charges get a life. The purpuse of this board is to provide information, not attack people because you are a loser in life. I hope it makes you feel better. If you don't like the subject, drive on.

Date: September 07, 2006 07:04AM

What the hell does "Bong hit Charges" mean?

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: September 07, 2006 08:20AM

To anyone who has gotten caught in the speed cameras in DC do they give you a grace of 1-10 mph over the limit or do they issue you a ticket for anything over the limit?

Date: September 07, 2006 08:26AM

You get a free pass (warning) on the first one, and I got a ticket for 12 over on my second. But I don't know if it is absolute.

Date: September 07, 2006 12:04PM

I'll admit I dont click on the links for people trying to sell shit on this site. A GPS would not be useful for all the cameras, like the one in the tunnel on 395 before the D street exit.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 07, 2006 04:28PM

there are many mobile ticketing cameras in DC. apparently DC has made millions and millions with this program in a short time so dont expect them to let anything go because it's just money in their pocket. what better way to generate cash than screw everyone from outside DC? it's bullshit, everyone knows it, nobody can do jack shit and the officials in DC are loving it.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: September 07, 2006 04:58PM

mad max, JD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A speed camera uses radar to check your speed. To
> detect these cameras, you'd need something that
> can detect radar; something like a RADAR DETECTOR.
> They are illegal in VA and DC so please explain
> how your stupid device is any different.

Actually, the cameras that use embedded loops inthe road surface to detect vehicle speed are not utilizing RADAR technology.

Maybe a program for GPS might help if the cameras were fixed and known -

Date: September 07, 2006 06:02PM

Damn max, way to name one of the cameras that got me lol

Date: September 07, 2006 10:25PM

OK, before we get into an argument over whether or not the cams use radar or loops to detect speed, allow me to give a little background.

The cop speed signs that give the speed limit as well as how fast you are going:
The old ones used the loop (the thing in the ground at traffic lights that detects when you are there) except it wasn't ground into the road, so you would feel 2 bumps when you went over. THe new ones use radar so they don't have to put the things down on the road. But then you don't know if that's your speed or the guy behind/in front of you's speed.

Red light cameras: Use the embedded loop to detect that you are there and your speed. permanent installs will be ground in, like at a normal traffic light. If the light is red and it detects you going over 5 mph, the camera

EZ-Pass camera: basically same as red light camera, i.e. no radar.

So, the ticketing cameras in DC probably use a combination of both radar and magnetic loops. So, the device is illegal.

Date: September 07, 2006 10:42PM

I'm not sure how a gps device is illegal given your logic... all it does is keep a database of known cameras, and then signal when you are near a camera. There is no actual "detection" going on. The gps is giving you information you are allowed to have, ie, your speed and your location. The locations of the cameras are posted all over the place.

School me KOT, but use the word "gps" somewhere.

Date: September 07, 2006 10:57PM

hmm. I din't use the word gps. I have displayed my thoughts, but I can't see how it would be efficent to use a gps device.

Date: September 07, 2006 11:03PM

and I never said it was efficient, in fact, if you examine the thread again you will see I also do not think it would be all that great at what it claims to do.. We are merely debating legality here KOT. This device is not illegal.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: September 07, 2006 11:21PM

DC camera's - Because of the complaints, mostly from DC residents, they now publish a map - http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1240,q,548257,mpdcNav_GID,1552,mpdcNav,%7C31885%7C.asp

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: September 07, 2006 11:25PM

Here are DC speed camera's http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1240,q,548201,mpdcNav_GID,1552,mpdcNav,%7C31886%7C.asp

All the device does is use gps to tell you when you're close to one. Kinda a nice idea. Do you really want to memorize all the camera's in DC, VA and MD?

Date: September 07, 2006 11:53PM

since there ARE NO CAMERAS active in VA, you can take that off the list

Posted by: bg10117 ()
Date: September 08, 2006 01:26AM

Technically Virginia Law Prohibiting the ownership of Radar Detectors is really quesstionable, as the Federal Government retains rights to regulate radio waves.

I think if someone had the time and the money they could probably get that law off the book.

Posted by: navalert ()
Date: September 14, 2006 09:49PM

Not only does the device alert to the camera, but it alerts to the speed limit at the camera, as well alerts you to "reduce speed" if your traveling at a speed over the set speed limit for that camera. If it was as simple as remembering where all the cameras are then they would not generate as much revenue as they do. You will soon see this device in many vehicles - LEGALY!

We use the exact government data to ensure all cameras are covered in our databse, in fact we have alerts to cameras not even installed in some states.

Yes were already alerting to cameras weeks away.

Date: September 14, 2006 10:13PM

How do you account for portable ones or ones in tunnels with no GPS coverage?

Posted by: Navalert ()
Date: September 14, 2006 11:29PM

This is a FIXED camera detector, if you speak of photo mobile radar you need to use a radar detector.

Which Camera is located in a Tunnel, I will get you the details on where the alert starts and what it states.

(our database is over 1500 cameras in the usa so I need the exact camera you speak)

Date: September 15, 2006 12:43AM

It's on 395 north under the mall before the D street exit. I know where it is, but somebody who buys your device will get caught by it. Honestly, I've never been caught by one due to either knowing about the camera or the telltale white hash marks painted right on the road 100 yards before it.

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: September 15, 2006 07:37AM

I def need that going to DC.....If uhhcya wasnt tailgating me i would of had a speeding Ticket...

You could just buy the spray.

Posted by: uhhcya ()
Date: September 15, 2006 08:25AM

hahaha, i remember that.... we were doing 85 on the on ramp when that light flashed on the side of the road at us... phew... its been 30 days!!! no tickets ;) i think its cause we have no front plates and i was tailgating u... anyone know why we didnt get ticketed? firat, get some spray for us lol.

Posted by: Save money ()
Date: March 29, 2019 05:55PM

These are great

Posted by: Beat Tickets ()
Date: March 30, 2019 12:05PM

Use waze a free traffic app that warns of stop light and speed cameras. Also warns of cops parked,along the side of the road running radar. It will also re -route you around bad traffic. Its a great free app.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.