HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
D and V auto body shop
Posted by: Peter L. ()
Date: April 11, 2016 04:46PM

From D&V Autobody’s website:
1. “D&V Autobody is the DC metropolitan's premier automotive repair and customization shop. Our company specializes in providing a wide range of unique products and services which include collision repair, full service painting, aftermarket installation, paintless dent and ding removal, and general cosmetic repair. With top quality service, state of the art technology, certified automotive professionals, and competitive pricing, we're confident that you will be completely satisfied choosing D&V for your repair or customization needs.”
2. “Owned and operated by a family of car enthusiasts, we are fiercely dedicated to providing superb, responsive, and personalized service. At D&V, our goal is to create a unique experience for each and every one of our customers. Our knowledgeable service professionals have years of experience in the automotive industry and will personally consult with you every step of the way from start to finish.”
3. “We offer a wide range of services backed by a complete 100% customer satisfaction guarantee – all delivered quickly and effciently with the highest level of quality.”
4. “Conveniently located in Dulles, Virginia, our experienced team of auto body professionals and state of the art, full service body shop stands ready to provide our clients with quality collision repair, better than original equipment manufacturer (OEM) painting flawless auto body work, and tailored, customized aftermarket installation.”

Based on these statements, there should be no issues whatsoever with D&V Autobody. After they had repaired my daughter’s car, their paint job was spot-on. One of the best I had encountered in a very long time. When I brought in my conversion van (all original custom work and paint performed by Southern Comfort) to fix my bumper cover and left rear ground effects panel, again the paint job was spot-on at the initial inspection after the first repair.
The issue started when I noticed that the the trim moulding was short on one side after the repair and, that they had used the wrong mounting screws to secure the bumper cover in place. The bumper cover had separated from the screws and the van had to go back in so that they could fix the problem. However, the trim moulding was still short on one side. I showed them the “before” photos that clearly showed the trim mouldings filling the gaps completely, with no spaces on either side of the trim moulding. Further, they had taken “before” and “after” photos and knew the problem already existed before I had submitted the “before” photos to them. They tried to pass this off knowing that the trim moulding was never short originally.
The answer that I received was “it shrunk”. From my viewpoint, and, after finding out that the two rear sides of the panel where the trim moulding sit were not equal in length, whichever technician worked on my van forgot the “custom” aspect of my vehicle. Instead of figuring out why the one trim molding was longer and didn’t fit the gap, I surmised that they cut the one moulding to fit the wrong side which also explains why the one edge of the trim moulding now had a sharp edge and not rounded off like the other ends were and the correct moulding trim that was supposed to go on that side was instead too short for the side he installed it in.
Not one word was said to me, but I had to notice it and bring it to their attention. Yet, I had to keep pointing it out and they kept telling me that it shrunk; this took 4 months. The first time when I was told it had shrunk, it was truly laughable, but the second and third time became insulting.
I mainly dealt with Kevin Maharaj, the D&V Operations Manager. He says he’s one of the owners. When I first brought my van in, I was mainly concerned with the amount of work necessary to fix the bumper cover, especially the large cracks along the inside corners, but he asssured me that they can handle it. Afterall, they are an automotive body shop, right? In the beginning, the relationship was very positive and communicative. As I started questioning why the trim molding was shorter on the one side, it then became hard to reach Kevin or he responded very late to my emails or not at all. I did have to bring the van back in for a crack that remerged from the original repair 4 months later, to address the trim moulding issue; and to also paint an area on the bumper cover that got damaged (but, which I repaired). I had discussed this repair with Kevin before bringing the van back in for the third and last time.
Instead of contacting me to let me know if there would be any additional cost to paint the area that I had repaired, they proceeded with the work and charged me for work that should have been covered under their warranty. After having disagreeing with the charges for what should have been covered under their warranty work and pointing out some serious flaws in their paint workmanship, Kevin basically washed his hands of me. I was told that my custom van did not have original GM parts and that they only provide lifetime warranty to vehicle/parts produced by the OEM – those were Kevin’s words. In other words, they knew my van (customized by Southern Comfort, which they knew at the onset) their lifetime warranty work (which does not have any restriction for OEM parts only, verbally or in writing) that they did to those original parts are not valid? Wow.
Their website claims they do custom work. Is Kevin saying that they do not warranty custom work on vehicles that they customize? First and foremost, it was Kevin’s decision to repair the bumper cover with all of the existing cracks as opposed to replacing the bumper cover with a new one. For him to imply that there is no warranty coverage due to the part not being OEM when he could have easily ordered a brand new bumper cover in the beginning is false, in my opinion. The repair lasted approximately 4 months and I, the customer, am supposed to be happy about that? He made the decision to do the repair to the bumper cover cracks rather than procuring a new unit. He made the wrong decision and I, the customer, has to pay the price for that decision?
Kevin said it was more of a courtesy as customer service than a warranty service. Just like all of their customers with high end vehicles, I do care about my vehicles and I try to maintain them to the best of my ability. I am exacting and with the prices that business charge now to fix/repair vehicles, I expect good workmanship and customer service. I researched and looked at the work and I was truly impressed with their paint work.
My issue is with Kevin. He became non-communicative; he said that the business takes him away from his desk. He wrote and stated to remind me that he did not want to take the job, but that statement was reflected about the ability to reproduce the paint effects, not because of the bumper cover damage which he was very confident in repairing. Now, because he made the wrong decision, he implies that I am at fault. He accepted the work, therefore, he is responsible to see it through as noted in D&V’s statement of facts and customer satisfaction guarantee. From this experience, from my viewpoint, D&V’s paint process was one of the best, but their autobody repair and customer service was subpar.
I have never, ever written a review for any autobody shop, but to this day, it still irks me that a supposed certified competent technician tells me that rubber trim moldings shrink – by about 1 ½ inches? Really? Don’t insult my intelligence. Do they say these things to owners of the Lamborghinis, the Maseratis, the Mercedes, the Porches or BMWs and insult their intelligence? In my opinion, Kevin needs to revisit the D&V Autobody statements above and truly understand what they state on their website and realign his operational managerial skills to a true customer service experience for EVERYONE. Make a mistake, then OWN it. It’s never always pretty, but that’s part of the business. He needs to learn how to handle that aspect of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: D and V auto body shop
Posted by: Jkkxh ()
Date: April 11, 2016 05:12PM

I don't know what this thread is about.
It's just way too long to read.

Posted by: twitter size posts ()
Date: April 11, 2016 05:31PM

Twitter is successful largely in part because of the 140 charterer limit.

Easy to understand why.

George-Bush-Didnt-Read-It-Dance.gif

Posted by: nuke 'em on yelp ()
Date: April 11, 2016 06:41PM

Give them a really bad review, they'll go out of business.

Posted by: mik661 ()
Date: January 18, 2017 12:00PM

Because you have a ten second attention span?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.