HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
HOT Lane Scam - Scum VSP and Transurban
Posted by: nucvL ()
Date: March 30, 2016 01:15PM

So you wonder why you always see VA State Police hanging around the HOT lanes usually with their cars sideways.

Well they have their EZPass readers in the car trying to determine how your EZPass is set and if you are violating the HOV3 without 3 or more occupants in the car.

VA State Police are using this to pull motorist over for all kinds of other violations. Tinted windows specifically are one thing they are nailing people on.

But they pull you over because they "claim" they cannot see other occupants in the vehicle for some reason, then the fun starts.

Also make sure if you are ticketed for any reason the officer checks the box on the ticket that will allow you to pay the fine online, otherwise you will waste a day in traffic court.

Scum VSP and Transurban. VSP have better things to do than to support Transurban, but this is how we roll in Northern VA.

See this article and NOTE the price of the fines!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOT Lane Scam - Scum VSP and Transurban
Posted by: nucvL ()
Date: March 30, 2016 01:16PM

http://wtop.com/news/2014/12/va-state-police-will-catch-95-express-toll-violators/

Oh, BTW, DO NOT cross the solid double white lines on I66 or anywhere else. ANY solid double line of ANY color cannot be crossed, otherwise officer friendly will have a nice piece of paper for you.

Good luck.

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: March 30, 2016 01:21PM

Its simple...

follow the law or get a ticket...

Posted by: Derpers gonna derp ()
Date: March 30, 2016 01:28PM

mjs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its simple...
>
> follow the law or get a ticket...

^^^ This.
It's not a scam. It's law enforcement.

You don't want high taxes, you want less traffic, AND you don't want enforcement of laws?

You don't want to live in the US, you want to live in Somolia.

Posted by: H4kbx ()
Date: March 30, 2016 01:40PM

Even if you are following the law, the VSP is pulling people over on the premise they are unable to determine how many occupants are in the vehicle, then they find other things to nail you on!

Some agreement between Transurban and VSP to enforce the HOV3 rules.

The HOT lanes are not even run or managed by the state of VA.

Funny how Transurban got their balls in a vice when they were trying to fine people over $10k for less than $200 in tolls. Someone figured out Transurban did not have a business license for the State of VA, so finally a lot of the outlandish charges were tossed out.

Posted by: Hi-way Gestapo ()
Date: March 30, 2016 01:54PM

Which Va. Governor signed Transurban up for this Nazi Style Program? Almost how the Jews were treated.

Posted by: Cry Me a River ()
Date: March 30, 2016 02:04PM

Tough shit. You got caught. Man up and deal with it.

Posted by: Not this shit again ()
Date: March 30, 2016 02:24PM

nucvL Wrote:
> So you wonder why you always see VA State Police
> hanging around the HOT lanes usually with their
> cars sideways.
>
> Well they have their EZPass readers in the car
> trying to determine how your EZPass is set and if
> you are violating the HOV3 without 3 or more
> occupants in the car.
>
> VA State Police are using this to pull motorist
> over for all kinds of other violations. Tinted
> windows specifically are one thing they are
> nailing people on.
>
> But they pull you over because they "claim" they
> cannot see other occupants in the vehicle for some
> reason, then the fun starts.
>
> Also make sure if you are ticketed for any reason
> the officer checks the box on the ticket that will
> allow you to pay the fine online, otherwise you
> will waste a day in traffic court.
>
> Scum VSP and Transurban. VSP have better things to
> do than to support Transurban, but this is how we
> roll in Northern VA.
>
> See this article and NOTE the price of the fines!
Attachments:
not-this-shit-again.jpg

Posted by: driver of a truck ()
Date: March 30, 2016 04:45PM

Transurban from and agreement signed by Tim Kaine then and followed up by Bob McDonnell, both agreed to have Transurban pay to have VSP in the 95/395/495 Express lanes. Not much you can do about it. This same issue will arise when the express lanes are completed on 66 in 2019. It's a done deal so I don't think it will get changed. Transurban had like a 70 year deal on the roads. Keep in mind your tax dollars are paying to keep the express lanes open. VDOT has to do the snow removal in them that cost well over 2 million dollars a year.

Posted by: Arlington Streetcar Committee ()
Date: March 30, 2016 05:27PM

So you're suggesting we shouldn't pay to attempt to alleviate traffic congestion? I suppose you'll suggest next mothballing Metro too.

Posted by: [03ruy ()
Date: March 31, 2016 06:02PM

Why tint windows--get some store mannekins and fill up the back seat!

Posted by: HOV ON Mode ()
Date: March 31, 2016 08:25PM

Still winning with that setting all the time! Not one penny in tolls *ever* on either 495 OR 95 since they opened. Any fine now would be well worth the past gains.

Posted by: butttthurtttt ()
Date: March 31, 2016 10:16PM

OP sounds like a butthurt little bitch that got a ticket.

Quit doing stupid illegal shit. I feel bad for the cop that had to deal with your dumb ass.

Posted by: Paging.......... ()
Date: March 31, 2016 10:36PM

Lane Myer! Do you have any updates for us??

Posted by: Taxpayer ()
Date: March 31, 2016 10:41PM

If you break the law, pay the penalty.

The problem with TransUrban is that Virginia signed a deal that prevents roads parallel to Express Lanes from being widened or improved, like the (free) I-95 lanes, Route 1, Occoquan Bridge, etc. So there is an incentive to have as much congestion as possible on all of the other roads so Transurban can get their toll cash.

And if more than 35% of vehicles on the Express Lanes are free, the state has to pay their toll to Transurban.

But don't worry, the contract is only for 74 years.

Posted by: Driver ()
Date: March 31, 2016 11:47PM

The joke's on Transurban. Autonomous cars are coming and will be commonplace in 20 years. The traffic woes of Northern VA & DC will be solved and Transurban can suck wind.

Posted by: hahahaha ()
Date: April 01, 2016 10:34AM

Sounds like the OP was breaking the law and got caught. Silly wabbit. Now go finish eating that dick.

Date: April 01, 2016 10:35AM

Driver Wrote:
> The joke's on Transurban. Autonomous cars are
> coming and will be commonplace in 20 years. The
> traffic woes of Northern VA & DC will be solved
> and Transurban can suck wind.

Thanks to Tesla!

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: April 01, 2016 02:31PM

Cops are humans too, so I doubt they'd waste their time pulling someone over just for the hell of it. You may think they are, but maybe you just look like an asshole that needs a nice ticket.

Posted by: VydLE ()
Date: April 02, 2016 07:56AM

VydLE

Posted by: 6wMYE ()
Date: April 02, 2016 12:14PM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> Cops are humans too, so I doubt they'd waste their
> time pulling someone over just for the hell of it.
> You may think they are, but maybe you just look
> like an asshole that needs a nice ticket.

That makes sense.

Posted by: NKv6t ()
Date: April 02, 2016 12:38PM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> Cops are humans too, so I doubt they'd waste their
> time pulling someone over just for the hell of it.
> You may think they are, but maybe you just look
> like an asshole that needs a nice ticket.

That may be, but humans are also frequently irrational assholes and cops are no exception. Drivers and cops alike can be total pieces of shit when they want to be.

Posted by: Mess Hour ()
Date: April 02, 2016 01:24PM

Those express lanes are complete failure. Still losing a shit load of money.

Posted by: jwe6n ()
Date: April 04, 2016 05:41PM

using a public highway as a way to "pick winners" is illegal - esp when the foundations were laid down before they had hair between their legs.

what was NOT illegal, esp. during the 70's gas crunch and people who remember, is to reserve a lane (emergencies accepted) for use by those "being green and carpooling"

Posted by: Karma is a........ ()
Date: April 04, 2016 05:48PM

Mess Hour Wrote:
> Those express lanes are complete failure. Still
> losing a shit load of money.

If people stopped using the Hot Lanes what could Transurbanvestite do about it?

Fuckem.

Posted by: Lane.Meyer ()
Date: April 05, 2016 11:05AM

Paging.......... Wrote:
> Lane Myer! Do you have any updates for us??

Hi. My beeper just went off now. I'm sorry for the delay...

Yup...I have definitely seen an increase in trooper presence along the 495 HOT lanes as well as an increase in the number of motorists I've seen pulled over on a weekly basis.

Here's what I haven't seen since November 12, 2012 when the HOT Express Lanes were opened...not one red cent in tolls on my EZPass account. I have yet to see a trooper pull me over. I have yet to see a summons or a ticket of any kind in my mailbox. I have yet to have been served with any court paperwork.

You see, for those just joining the discussion...I have been running the full-length of the 495 HOT Express Lanes, twice a day, 5 times a week every week with just myself in the vehicle and the EZPass transponder set to the HOV position which enables me to use the lanes for free. That's 3.5 years of use and zero charged to me in tolls. At this point, if they do pull me over and prove that they saw me change the transponder from HOV to the toll position before the trooper pulls me over, then I'll happily pay the fine.

Using those lanes saves me 15-60 minutes, depending on the backups on the local lanes, every time I use them.

And that...is my update.

Posted by: XhYeF ()
Date: April 12, 2016 11:44AM

XhYeF

Posted by: Luvin Those Hot Lanes ()
Date: August 16, 2016 01:32PM

You are correct - been traveling in the Express Lanes by myself with HOV mode ON for several months and found the tricks to doing it successfully.

Drive nested in GROUPS. When you pass VSP trolling with their little WHITE BOXES attached to their back windows, they cannot tell who the cheater is. If and When they start pursuing, simply change the switch back and they can't find you. When they are gone - put it back in HOV mode.

Posted by: Luvin Those Hot Lanes ()
Date: August 16, 2016 01:48PM

I have been experimenting with switching the transponder in and out of HOV mode at various points in between the Ride from MD to Springfield on 495. The switch is recorded after EACH GANTRY you go through. Therefore where the switching occurs decides if you pay a toll, how much, or none at all.

Sometimes I got a small toll, because of where I switched the transponder, it thought I exited and charged me, and then after I switched it back to HOV - it thought I entered through a new entry point and I did not get charged after passing the last gantry to exit.

DO NOT try to cheat the system RIDING ALONE ON THE HIGHWAY. You will get caught if a VSP is trolling. DRIVE NESTED with many other vehicles. Truly, they cannot tell who the cheater is.

One time, another car and I drove by a VSP troll under a bridge, he pursued thinking he could drive near one of us, and get the HOV signal from his toy, and then pull one of us over for being alone in the car. I switched my transponder back to normal mode - the troll drove beside me and drove away...LOL - then he drove up to the next car - no signal there either, so he went on driving upset he couldn't get anyone today.

BE SMART - stay off your phone and PAY ATTENTION! Rush hour is almost impossible to get caught if you stay buried in a group of cars. ENJOY!!!

Posted by: Johnny Law ()
Date: August 16, 2016 04:51PM

We'll catch up to you soon enough.

Sorry those $2 fees are breaking you so bad you have to risk 100 times that in the form a summons. Perhaps a better McJob would allow you to move on to other more interesting pursuits in your life.

We'll see you out on the lanes!

Posted by: 2 dollars? ()
Date: August 16, 2016 05:08PM

Johnny Law Wrote:
> We'll catch up to you soon enough.
>
> Sorry those $2 fees are breaking you so bad you
> have to risk 100 times that in the form a summons.
> Perhaps a better McJob would allow you to move on
> to other more interesting pursuits in your life.
>
> We'll see you out on the lanes!

Try $12+ each way

Posted by: idiots abound ()
Date: August 17, 2016 09:29AM

$12 to $18 for a few miles on roads that some of which, we already paid for? This looks like a method to punish commuters for driving to work. It would be one thing if public transportation had kept up with demand, which it hasn't. Metro should by now extend to Gainsville and Fredricksburg. If it did, was reasonably priced, and was maintained the way it could be under effective management, 66 and 95 would probably bee effective and wouldn't need these type of regressive solutions. The democrats have fallen short on this one.

Posted by: yeah, right ()
Date: August 17, 2016 01:14PM

Good luck catching me copper! I drive right by you and smile while riding the HOV for free!

Posted by: HOV ON Mode ()
Date: August 17, 2016 04:58PM

Johnny Law Wrote:
> We'll catch up to you soon enough.
>
> Sorry those $2 fees are breaking you so bad you
> have to risk 100 times that in the form a summons.
> Perhaps a better McJob would allow you to move on
> to other more interesting pursuits in your life.
>
> We'll see you out on the lanes!

I see you all the time--for like the last 3 years. When are you ever going to pull me over? The fine at this point, if it ever happens, will certainly be worth one caught violation every 2-3 years. How does it feel to be just a revenue collector for a foreign firm instead of actually helping people and maintaining order and safety?

Posted by: Caso Cerrado ()
Date: August 17, 2016 07:35PM

I can understand someone getting confused with the signage a few years ago, when the program started. But we all know now.

If you are on the Hot Lanes, and your transponder is set to HOV, and you are the only one in the vehicle, then you know what you are doing, and you deserve to get caught. Case closed.

Posted by: Johnny Law ()
Date: August 17, 2016 10:17PM

I'm mostly waiting for a nigger to drive by.

Posted by: VSP are redneck fatties ()
Date: August 17, 2016 10:23PM

VSP is looking for tint violations, radar detectors and other equipment violations.

Posted by: Johnny Taco ()
Date: August 26, 2016 11:37AM

I guess most of those VSP on the HOT LANES doing time for TransUrban are probably the bottom of the barrel and not very happy about their assignment. So be smart and drive NESTED with groups of other cars when you decide to drive by yourself in HOV mode. Keep those eyes open and switch it back and forth as needed to avoid getting sniffed out of the pack by big bear.

If you are alone on the HOT lanes and in HOV mode - you're asking for a ticket and I have no sympathy for ya.

ole!

Posted by: Johnny Taco ()
Date: August 26, 2016 11:41AM

WAY BACK I got pulled over once - and since I wasn't speeding, I realized the VSP must now have a device to detect transponders in HOV mode and they observe you being alone when you pass by.

I secretly switched my transponder back and when the cop asked for my transponder, I asked what's the problem? Is it broken or something? Big Ben the Black Cop just played with it and switched it back and forth and tested it and handed it back to me and went on his way without giving me a ticket.

Be smart if you're gonna play the game.

Posted by: NippleChuck ()
Date: August 26, 2016 12:23PM

It's amazing how cheap some people are. Trying to not pay their fees during rush hour. I hope the law catches all of you and the fines are high. Cheap ass bastards.

Nip

Posted by: Beavis ()
Date: June 10, 2017 12:49PM

Got busted. Was in HOV mode with just me in the car (accident, I swear; seriously).

Tried to pay the fine on line (the cop did check the box saying I could pre-pay) and there is no option to pay online.

Called the number, looked up by summons, it found my summons, and said no pre-pay.

WTF. I don't want to go to court over this.

Posted by: Speeding Beemer ()
Date: June 10, 2017 01:55PM

H4kbx Wrote:
> Even if you are following the law, the VSP is
> pulling people over on the premise they are unable
> to determine how many occupants are in the
> vehicle, then they find other things to nail you
> on!
>

I travel with a baby in the back and get pulled over on I66 exit ramps about once a month.

I roll down the back window and that's the end of the conversation, with a smile between us.

I once asked a trooper what sort of vehicle he most enjoys pulling over. Without hesitation, he said, "Speeding Beemer."

Posted by: VDOT Boss ()
Date: June 10, 2017 02:30PM

This worked great on 95. Much slower commute and you can pay $30 or more for the privilege.

Posted by: The Moral of this Thread is..... ()
Date: June 10, 2017 04:33PM

Most posters to this forum boast of huge incomes. Buy this definition, you can either afford the toll or the fine.
Talk it or walk it.

Posted by: Don't drive express at night ()
Date: June 10, 2017 07:42PM

I got pulled over with 3 people in my car at 1 AM, the officer did not see the third passenger was his reasoning. He talked to me for 15 seconds and apologized, I'm certain he really pulled me over to see If I was drunk.

Posted by: SteveBannon ()
Date: June 19, 2017 09:01PM

carl icahn of ffxu Wrote:
> Driver Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The joke's on Transurban. Autonomous cars are
> > coming and will be commonplace in 20 years.
> The
> > traffic woes of Northern VA & DC will be solved
> > and Transurban can suck wind.
>
>
> Thanks to Tesla!

Tesla has a shit ton of govt tax subsidies to run his little ventures. You secretly want to go to burning man and toss elons salad!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.