HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Personal Trainer
Posted by: notfat ()
Date: July 18, 2009 04:01PM

What are some thoughts on personal trainers? Worth it?

Any recommendations for a personal trainer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Personal Trainer
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 18, 2009 04:12PM

It depends. It's only worth it if you're dedicated enough to show up for your training. There's always value in exercise, whether you do it yourself or have a trainer.

It will also depend on your goal(s). Are you trying to lose weight? If so you're single greatest challenge will probably be changing your diet.

Are you trying to get big? Then what you would need to know is the principles of lifting and bulking up - how to do it and how to lift without fucking yourself up. A trainer would be good for this, if nothing else to at least learn the techniques that you could then do on your own.

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: July 18, 2009 04:12PM

If you don't know how to do any lifts (e.g. squats, cleans, incline, military...), need help with a diet, or you really need help with motivation, then a personal trainer may be worth it.

But once you get the hang of it you definitely don't need one. I think it would be a waste of money.

"Don't forget the most important muscle... YOUR HEART!" You definitely want to incorporate an aerobic exercise into your workout regimen.

Posted by: notfat ()
Date: July 18, 2009 04:17PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

Goal is to gain a little muscle mass, understand proper form, and develop a good eating plan (five-six meals, etc). I definitely don't need to lose weight, however I'd like to get some advice on proper eating habits.

When dealing with a personal trainer, is it kind of "known" that at some point you move on and go on your own? I was planning on getting one to establish a routine, eating plane, get used to it and then go on my own.

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: July 18, 2009 04:36PM

As far as diet, your trainer will probably tell you to cut out cholesterol and fats (eat egg whites, chicken breast, any lean, white meat), eat about six meals a day, and maybe cut back on carbs... I wouldn't cut carbs out completely, though, they are important. Don't forget your veggies, blah blah blah.

They may even come up with a little formula that gives you a target amount of protein to consume per day(like .8 grams per pound of body weight... I've heard 1 g per lb is overkill)...

Drink as much water as you can stand...

It really is just common sense...

It SHOULD be known that you won't need your personal trainer forever and, if you're lucky, you'll find an honest one that let's you know when it's time to ride without training wheels. Keep in mind that it is their business, however, and they may want to squeeze as much money out of you as they can.

I would cut him/her loose after 2 weeks...

Just keep at it and don't relapse, you'll see results faster than you believe if you remain disciplined.

Good luck

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 18, 2009 04:54PM

notfat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are some thoughts on personal trainers? Worth it?

Work out on your own for a month or two before making that decision. If you feel like you're not getting it right after 2 months, maybe then a trainer would be worth it. But the chances are that you'll develop your own routine, and end up saving a bunch of money.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 21, 2009 08:47PM

Warhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It depends. It's only worth it if you're
> dedicated enough to show up for your training.
> There's always value in exercise, whether you do
> it yourself or have a trainer.
>
> It will also depend on your goal(s). Are you
> trying to lose weight? If so you're single
> greatest challenge will probably be changing your
> diet.
>
> Are you trying to get big? Then what you would
> need to know is the principles of lifting and
> bulking up - how to do it and how to lift without
> fucking yourself up. A trainer would be good for
> this, if nothing else to at least learn the
> techniques that you could then do on your own.

I just taught myself, and it only requires some searching and reading.

As for the diet issue, you don't need that unless you're scarfing down food like some overzealous malnourished Bear. Just gradually increase your workout time, loads, and variety, and you'll manage to gain muscle, which in turn burns more fat. Take an extreme for example, such as BUDS training, and those guys are consuming over 7,000-8,000 Calories a day, and they STILL lose weight. The bottom line is that you simply need to combine Resistance/Weight Training with a Cardio Program as well. Consistency is the most important factor of any workout program, and it matters far more than any increase in Resistance Weight and/or Cardio duration/speed, etc.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: July 22, 2009 04:33AM

i would say see a dietition for a proper weight loss diet (or if you want to bulk up). And get 2-3 sessions with a personal trainer so you can learn the proper form etc for machines..

Posted by: Kales ()
Date: September 18, 2021 01:45PM

When it comes to online coaching, choose wisely as coaching is very important to keep you fit and I advise you to check here for a look at the 7 Certification of a Professional Health Coach!

Posted by: How much to fix this ()
Date: September 18, 2021 10:46PM

Pig?
Attachments:
53A549F9-429C-4756-91FB-16653FB40B82.jpeg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.