HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FiOS versus Cable
Posted by: Television, the drug of a nation ()
Date: February 06, 2016 04:28PM

I'm using Cox now for my cable and internet. They're deleting all of the channels for digital. This means I have to rent (can't buy) their digital boxes and relive the 80s when we had boxes reading cable signals for our tvs.

Verizon reps came over the other day talking about offering me a deal two switch.

I'm in Fairfax County. Anyhow else here switched from one to the other and have any comments on either? Or preference?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FiOS versus Cable
Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: February 06, 2016 04:51PM

I switched from Cox to Verizon. The internet connection is more stable than what I was experiencing with Cox, but it's really a case of 'pick your poison'. Upload speeds are faster, but I don't do a lot of uploading.

Verizon offered us a $400 Visa gift card and locked in a 30% lower rate than Cox, so it would have been foolish not to switch. Our deal was based on a two year commitment.

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: FIOS ()
Date: February 06, 2016 05:06PM

FIOS is the answer.

Posted by: Yehuti Peutiepäntz ()
Date: February 06, 2016 05:30PM

Cable boxes are for rubes. So are cable company DVRs. Do yourself a favor--buy the biggest TiVo available and get a cable card for the TiVo. Obviously go with the FiOS. You'll thank me later. Anything less than that is just gay. you might as well not even watch TV.

Posted by: DVcEc ()
Date: February 06, 2016 06:14PM

If you are lucky enough to have Verizon FiOS fiber optics to your home - it is a no brainier.

Posted by: niggar ()
Date: February 06, 2016 06:35PM

stop using cable

Posted by: Donkey Dong ()
Date: February 06, 2016 06:43PM

Neither--cut the cord. Quit wasting money on these ripoff companies.

Posted by: Have it your way ()
Date: February 08, 2016 11:12AM

FiOS Quantum bundle. Then get all your mobile stuff through Verizon as well. There are so many discounts that the bills are surprisingly light.

Posted by: something to do ()
Date: November 23, 2016 09:17AM

Donkey Dong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neither--cut the cord. Quit wasting money on these
> ripoff companies.

+1

Posted by: yNhKx ()
Date: November 23, 2016 09:46AM

Verizon HD is better. Clearer.

Posted by: Both are adequate ()
Date: November 23, 2016 10:17AM

I had Verizon FIOS for the last 14 years, and their DSL before that, with a land line, internet, and TV. Every two years I would go to the mat with Verizon and wrangle a deal as good as the introductory ones they offer. Nowadays I don't watch TV and don't care about having a land line- Hight speed Internet is what I'm after. My latest deal with Verizon was for Verizon's most spartan TV "triple play" but with faster Internet.

This latest renewal time they called my bluff when renegotiating, so I switched to COX 'cause they had a wicked good introductory deal with rebates. Verizon suddenly pulled a discount deal out of their ass, but I was tired of haggling at the bazaar and followed through with the COX deal. It's just as good. Go with whomever gives you the best deal based upon your needs, and don't be upsold, and you're good.

Posted by: 3HcYX ()
Date: November 28, 2016 06:35PM

No contest

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.