HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Recommendations for roof repair? (pic included)
Posted by: wet attic ()
Date: February 03, 2016 01:23PM

Hi all-

I found this small leak today in the attic - I looked outside at the roof and didn't appear to be any damage. Any local places that won't rip me off and tell me I need a new roof?

I'm not the kind to fix it myself, I am the kind who would make it worse, so looking for a professional. Thanks for the help - figure your personal experience is better than the yellow pages.
Attachments:
IMG_7217.JPG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommendations for roof repair? (pic included)
Posted by: ajdey ()
Date: February 03, 2016 02:08PM

Shouldn't be too much for a small area.

Posted by: iLester ()
Date: February 03, 2016 02:22PM

They can tell you need a need roof, if it is in fact needed, but they should also be able to offer an alternative to fix just that leak. Used Peak Roofing Contractors to fix a leak for $340 while they also suggested the roof be replaced in a couple of years. There should be other roofers suggested on this site.

Posted by: WTOP Listener ()
Date: February 03, 2016 05:29PM

Call Chris Core

I had a good experience with...
Posted by: Honest answer ()
Date: February 03, 2016 06:57PM

Pond Roofing and Exteriors, out of Fairfax

They come highly recommended. Did a great job on the roof and replacing house trim. But I don't know if they work during the winter.

Posted by: good luck ()
Date: February 03, 2016 07:03PM

I had a bad leak last summer. Called dozens of roofers and most didn't even answer the phone. The few that did wanted to schedule the repairs for months later.

I couldn't wait that long with all that water pouring in during every summer thunderstorm. I'm old and really didn't want to fool with it but I had no choice, I had to fix it myself.

Posted by: Rich77 ()
Date: February 03, 2016 07:09PM

We used Kirby Kerns Contractors. Did a great job! Good luck!

Posted by: Brian S Tate ()
Date: February 03, 2016 07:58PM

Probably easier to fix it yourself.

Posted by: Stupid ass ()
Date: February 04, 2016 08:20AM

Brian S Tate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably easier to fix it yourself.

How could going to the store to buy supplies he doesn't know about, and climbing up a ladder to the roof to patch something be easier than picking up the phone and calling someone?

Posted by: Get it done right ()
Date: February 04, 2016 07:17PM

Unless you know roofing, you have no business trying to do repairs on your own. Little mistakes can end up causing thousands of dollars in damage, and if you did it yourself, insurance coverage can become iffy. If you don't have a subscription to DC CHECKBOOK, get one. You'll use it all the time. Once you're in, look up their online roofer ratings.

Posted by: Katystevenas ()
Date: December 08, 2018 06:05AM

Hey, I agree with an all the above advices for repairing the roof. Well, Before going for a solution I would like to ask you whether this damage is caused by landscaping or due to natural disasters like heavy rains. If you have made an agreement with an insurance company about Roof damage, then they can help you in getting the repair cost. So instead of calling for a construction company, collect some proof and send it to the insurance company for taking the charge. And if the insurance company is denying the agreement, then you can directly call to public adjusters and take helpful hints from them as well.

Posted by: Duh .... ()
Date: December 08, 2018 08:21AM

Why are you responding to a nearly THREE YEAR OLD posting????

However, I do agree with using Checkbook. ( https://www.checkbook.org )

Posted by: DIY is just plain stupid ()
Date: December 08, 2018 09:13AM

Don't be a dummy. Roof repairs are way more than a one-man job. Turn it over to the pros. But all you racists will need to understand that work crews are likely to be either Hispanic or Vietnamese. Might be scouts for The Caravan or something.

Posted by: dpcwk ()
Date: December 08, 2018 09:24AM

Roofing isn't hard but the tools and skills to do a quick and efficient job aren't something you pick up in an hour.

Posted by: DIY is just plain stupid ()
Date: December 08, 2018 09:47AM

You don't easily pick up 4x8-foot plywood panels or bundles of asphalt shingles and carry them up a ladder to the roof either. Call in the people who do it every day.

Posted by: Fartfax underpoop ()
Date: December 08, 2018 11:01AM

Installing typical asphalt shingles in a flat, open area is actually fairly straight forward if you aren't mentally retarded. I've done it on a couple sheds I built. I've found most leaks are the result of poor or failed flashing, which isn't something that is easy for a novice to address.

Posted by: DIY roofing ()
Date: December 08, 2018 12:02PM

I've had the same issues, I just peeled back the shingles around the leak and flashed the fuck out of it. Problem solved for under $10.

Posted by: Such a dunce ()
Date: December 08, 2018 12:56PM

You couldn't have known where the leak was, and you plainly don't know what flashing is.

Posted by: DIY roofing ()
Date: December 08, 2018 01:12PM

Why not? I have eyes and a measuring tape, I found the exact area it was leaking from. The flashing was liquid, came in a caulk tube, spread that shit all over like peanut butter and haven't had a problem since.

Posted by: Manuel ()
Date: December 09, 2018 01:01AM

Khey, mang, me an' my cousin an' brother ing law gwe do real good yob for joo real cheap ang gwe feeneesh gwon day, mang. Joo like khow gwe do good yob for joo.

Posted by: wet attic ()
Date: December 09, 2018 04:58AM

Hi guys, I’m the original poster from a couple of years ago.

I have since sold the house, but got someone from the Moose Lodge to patch it up for me. Turned out to be a nail that had moved a bit, causing the slightest gap for water to come through.

What I learned: if you see water dripping, that might not be where the hole is. You don’t need a degree in fluid dynamics to understand how water travels, but I was amazed to see that after entering the house, the water traveled a great distance on a 2x4, and only started dripping when it hit an obstruction. The path of the water was so faint it was almost undetectable.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Posted by: LOL... ()
Date: December 09, 2018 09:18AM

Flashing is an impervious rust-proof material -- usually galvanized steel, aluminum, or copper -- that provides a barrier and conduit for water in roof valleys and around such features as chimneys. dormers, vent pipes, skylights, and other objects that penetrate the decking.

https://www.hometips.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/flashing_intro2.gif

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.