HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Just got an HOV ticket on I-66, should i just pay it?
Posted by: Ignorant driver ()
Date: July 01, 2009 08:10PM

I've just spent the last hour researching this, and apparently it's always been like this, but all of i-66 is restricted to hov during rush hour. I didn't know (despite growing up here ... I never drive in DC), and I saw the signs and figured it was just for a lane or something (like the other side of 66 -- outside of the beltway). But i got worried and so exited the highway -- just to be met by a cop who gave me a ticket, no sympathy. Should i fight it -- I wasn't knowingly breaking the law and I exited once I figured it out. the overall consensus is judges are extremely harsh on HOV violations but since the entire highway is HOV instead of just one lane, i feel like i might have a chance. opinions (not of the you're-an-idiot variety) welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just got an HOV ticket on I-66, should i just pay it?
Posted by: boredom ()
Date: July 01, 2009 08:13PM

Yes. You should pay it. If you go to court you'll end up paying additional fees in addition to the ticket. If you don't pay it at all you won't be able to renew your vehicle registration.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 01, 2009 08:14PM

That's probably one ticket you're not going to be able to get off on, especially as a local resident. If you were from out of town, you could possibly have a chance. I would just pay it.

s
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: July 01, 2009 08:15PM

s

edit by Cary: Account password compromised, disabled by administrator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 07:02AM by inkahootz.

Posted by: Court Costs ()
Date: July 01, 2009 08:24PM

You pay court costs even if you just pay the ticket without going to court. The responses that say you don't are wrong. It costs you nothing to fight the ticket (well except for your time and paying for parking at the courthouse).

You probably aren't going to win though. HOV violations are tough. If you have a good driving record you might get it knocked down to something else. Having gone to traffic court (and won) my opinion is anyone with a good driving record should fight most traffic tickets. From what I observed you have a very good chance of getting the charge reduced at the very least.

Posted by: Client Nine ()
Date: July 01, 2009 08:58PM

Do the Cops ever pull over violaters while they're on I-66? I've noticed that the HOV enforcement is at the exits. The Rt 7 exit seems to be always filled with State Police.

Posted by: FoolSmacker ()
Date: July 01, 2009 09:11PM

Ignorant driver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've just spent the last hour researching this,
> and apparently it's always been like this, but all
> of i-66 is restricted to hov during rush hour. I
> didn't know (despite growing up here ... I never
> drive in DC), and I saw the signs and figured it
> was just for a lane or something (like the other
> side of 66 -- outside of the beltway). But i got
> worried and so exited the highway -- just to be
> met by a cop who gave me a ticket, no sympathy.
> Should i fight it -- I wasn't knowingly breaking
> the law and I exited once I figured it out. the
> overall consensus is judges are extremely harsh on
> HOV violations but since the entire highway is HOV
> instead of just one lane, i feel like i might have
> a chance. opinions (not of the you're-an-idiot
> variety) welcome.

You're probably not going to get out of it, but I can understand what you did. There have been several times going west on 66 when I've accidentally stayed in the left lane after the beltway between 6:30 and 7, when it's still HOV. I get out as soon as I realize, and luckily I haven't been caught.
I'd like to hope that the "I got off as soon as I realized" defence would work, but it's unlikely.

Posted by: Bummer 4 U ()
Date: July 01, 2009 09:21PM

Route 7 has cops sitting on the ramps both off and on the highway at exactly 4:00 p.m. almost every day. I'll bet that's where you exited, isn't it? Ugh.

The only place I've actually seen a cop ON the highway pulling people over is just outside the beltway, he hangs out on the left shoulder.

Not sure how much luck you would have convincing the judge that as a local you didn't know. If you don't live inside the beltway or work in DC or Arlington, you might have a better chance of arguing your case.

Posted by: DAG ()
Date: July 01, 2009 09:43PM

Fight it in court. Judges are very forgiving of HOV violators.

I almost guarantee you will get off scot-free.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 01, 2009 09:59PM

I got nailed a while back for an HOV violations. I was getting off the road 5 minutes into HOV. I went to court. I asked the court clerk(Alexandria) how many people get out HOV violations. She told me that she had never seen anybody get out of an HOV violation and laughed.

I just paid it. Back then it was $75 and no points.

I think the violation is 4 points now.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 01, 2009 10:20PM

I always wanted to try this one to see if it'd get you out of a ticket-

"Officer, I was on 66 before HOV kicked in, my car overheated, I sat on the shoulder while it cooled down, now here I am just trying to exit and go home"

Of course it won't work, but has anyone tried it?

Posted by: Dane G ()
Date: July 02, 2009 12:07AM

The same thing happened to me and I posted about it here as well:

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/124973/125421.html

I was told not to bother going to court.

I'll repeat that I think it's outrageous to have a special law that only applies to one little local stretch of an INTERSTATE highway. A law which we are not taught about in driving school. I was not watching for "HOV road" signs because I hadn't conceived that there might be such a thing.

Also, they had a checkpoint at an exit and at least half the people who drove on that ramp were in violation. The traffic on I-66 was moderately light, and if you had taken half of that away then it would have been very light. So basically you have an interstate highway, payed for with federal taxes, closed off for a club of local commuters who lobby for it, who use it regularly and plan ahead to carpool. Making the traffic on other roads that much worse. If you're gonna do that, pay for it with local taxes and call it the Alexandria Commuting Road, not fucking Interstate 66.

How the fuck are people from out of town supposed to handle this? A person should be able to plan a trip on the Interstate and know that they'll be allowed free passage. Are there other laws like this in other areas? If I head south on 95, will there be some county in South Carolina that won't let me drive on it unless I wear a purple hat, or something?

Posted by: curious ()
Date: July 02, 2009 01:13AM

Conceivably, if you were traveling outbound and accidentally entered 66 during HOV hours- you could exit onto the Dulles Airport Access Road. Airport users need not listen to the rules-

For the record: wikipedia

"Between the Prince William Parkway (State Route 234) in Bristow, Virginia and the Beltway, the left lane on eastbound I-66 is reserved for HOV-2 (meaning 2 or more occupants per vehicle) traffic during the morning rush (5:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.), and the left lane on westbound I-66 is reserved for HOV-2 traffic during the evening rush (3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.). During the morning rush, the eastbound shoulder lane (far right lane) is open to all traffic from 5:30 am until 11 a.m. In the evening rush, the westbound shoulder lane (far right lane) opens to all traffic at 2 p.m. and remains open until 8 p.m."

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: July 02, 2009 03:37AM

curious Wrote:
> Conceivably, if you were traveling outbound and
> accidentally entered 66 during HOV hours- you
> could exit onto the Dulles Airport Access Road.
> Airport users need not listen to the rules-
>

There's only two ways to safely do that. You either have to drive all the way to the airport, or you can take your chances and get off the toll road at 123. Your best chances are taking the Mclean or Northbound 123 exit, since sometimes there are state troopers sitting on the southbound, Tysons exit.

I actually got out of a ticket one time about 17 years ago by using that knowledge.

I happened to be driving a rental car (my car had been totalled by another driver, his insurance was paying for the rental for 2 weeks while I shopped for another car.)

I took the 123 exit off the toll road, heading towards tysons. When the state trooper got to me (it took about 10 minutes as he had three cars pulled over ahead of me), before he could say anything, I handed him the enterprise rental agreement and said "I know I'm allowed to drive on 66 during HOV if I"m going to the airport, sir. I'm returning this rental car, but just noticed I was on a quarter tank and needed to get gas so I wouldn't be charged some outrageous amount for refueling." He then asked for my license, and saw that I lived in reston, so he sat there and thought about it for about a minute, and then handed everything back to me and said "You might be lying to me, but if you are, that's awfully quick thinking and a hard story to pick apart."

I actually was going to tysons, I still had about a week more on that rental car, and I had rented it in Tysons Corner, anyways. But the cop bought it, and he let me go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 03:41AM by Thurston Moore.

Date: July 02, 2009 03:43AM

DAG Wrote:
> Fight it in court. Judges are very forgiving of
> HOV violators.
>
> I almost guarantee you will get off scot-free.

If you go to court in a suit and tie, and talk coherently and give even the lamest explanation to the judge, 7 times out of 10, he's going to cut you a break of some sort.

Some times it might be "court costs", other times he might dismiss it, other times he might reduce a $200 fine to $50 (or just court costs, again.)

It's always good to present a human face to the criminal justice system. As long as you aren't a dirtbag.

Date: July 02, 2009 04:19AM

I forgot to mention, the main reason it is always a good idea to go to court and to not pre-pay is because there is always a chance that the cop doesn't show up for court.

As long as it isn't a reckless driving, if the cop calls in sick or is called back onto patrol duty that day, and isn't in court, the judge is either going to dismiss all of his cases or ask each defendant how they plead. As long as the cop isn't there and you plead not guilty (not quilty), the judge has to find you innocent, because there is no testimony to say otherwise.

I've sat in traffic court enough times, and have benefited from it myself enough times to say, without a doubt, it's always good to go to court on any traffic infraction.

Sometimes, a continuance is also helpful. If you can put enough time between the court date and the cop's memory of the infraction, it can help you out. If you happen to have gotten a ticket from a cop that isn't a traffic cop, he's probably not going to show up a second time for a single ticket. In the case of an HOV ticket, that cop's entire job is sitting at highway exits and sitting in court, so he will be there at every court date, no matter what, so maybe continuances won't work to your advantage. Had it been some cop that wrote 10 tickets last year, a continuance will discourage him from appearing in court a second time, on what could otherwise be his day off with pay, and thus, a dismissed case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 04:21AM by Thurston Moore.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: July 02, 2009 05:01AM

yea... pay that shit, not knowing a law exists is no excuse to get out of it.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 02, 2009 07:11AM

curious Wrote:
> Conceivably, if you were traveling outbound and
> accidentally entered 66 during HOV hours- you
> could exit onto the Dulles Airport Access Road.
> Airport users need not listen to the rules-
>
> For the record: wikipedia
>
> "Between the Prince William Parkway (State Route
> 234) in Bristow, Virginia and the Beltway, the
> left lane on eastbound I-66 is reserved for HOV-2
> (meaning 2 or more occupants per vehicle) traffic
> during the morning rush (5:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.),
> and the left lane on westbound I-66 is reserved
> for HOV-2 traffic during the evening rush (3:00
> p.m. to 7:00 p.m.). During the morning rush, the
> eastbound shoulder lane (far right lane) is open
> to all traffic from 5:30 am until 11 a.m. In the
> evening rush, the westbound shoulder lane (far
> right lane) opens to all traffic at 2 p.m. and
> remains open until 8 p.m."

Exit just before the airport at the services entrances. Go back and find any air cargo freight - FedEx or UPS also. Walk in and say "Hi I am Joe, got a package for me?" They will say no. Leave and you are free and clear of any toll road HOV violations.

Posted by: Poverty ()
Date: July 02, 2009 08:51AM

Holy mary mother of good you are one stupid mother fucker

Can you read? There is one big clue on a big sign before you enter the road

You should pay double the fine for thinking you can snivel your way out of it

Dumb ass

Posted by: Good Sound Advice ()
Date: July 02, 2009 09:06AM

Find out the name of the traffic court judge.

Postpone the first hearing.

Have your name legally changed to the same name of the judge.

Go to court and smile at the judge like you are long lost cousins.

Works EVERY time!

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 02, 2009 11:00AM

Dane G Wrote:
> How the fuck are people from out of town supposed
> to handle this?

Read the signs like the in-town people do. Plus it's only a couple of hours out of 24 per weekday that any direction on that stretch is restricted. It's just as easy to get into DC using 29 or 50, so it's not like access to areas is cut off for anyone.

> Are there other laws like
> this in other areas? If I head south on 95, will
> there be some county in South Carolina that won't
> let me drive on it unless I wear a purple hat, or
> something?

Maybe... read the signs like all the SC people do.

Driving is a privilege, not a right, and you agree to traffic laws by using the roads. Either read the signs or don't, but there are consequences.

Even if one were to argue they missed the huge signs on the beltway going onto 66, they paint the huge diamonds in the lanes that you have to cross. So you missed all the signs AND you didn't notice the big 'ole white diamond in the road you just ran over? If you miss all of that you aren't being attentive enough and shouldn't be driving.

Posted by: Rob ()
Date: July 02, 2009 11:31AM

Wait i dont understand, The OP said that "all of 66" is for HOV? Can someone explain. I thought just the left lanes were HOV and then the right most was just opened for the mornings? What does he mean all of 66 is for hov?

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 02, 2009 11:37AM

After the beltway, the entire road is HOV since the lanes are reduced.... you've never driven on it before?

Date: July 02, 2009 11:39AM

I have driven there plenty of times, However i failed to notice/realize that this was the case. This is very odd, how would a person, get to there home if they are comming from the beltway?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: July 02, 2009 11:50AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> After the beltway, the entire road is HOV since
> the lanes are reduced.... you've never driven on
> it before?

Need to clarify a bit. Outside of the beltway the left most lane is HOV restricted during certain hours. Inside the beltway, all of I-66 is restricted during certain hours (exceptions apply and relate to energy efficient hybrids purchased before a certain date and traffic going to/coming from Dulles).

To make matters simple...If its 8:00 am, and you're intending to drive yourself in your Ford Explorer from Chantilly direct to G Street NW, you can not drive in the far left lane on I-66E outside the Beltway and you can not be on I-66E at all inside the Beltway.

Posted by: aaa ()
Date: July 02, 2009 11:51AM

Rob Wrote:
> I have driven there plenty of times, However i
> failed to notice/realize that this was the case.
> This is very odd, how would a person, get to there
> home if they are comming from the beltway?

Ah... maybe a map book or gps (or stop and ask somebody who does have a brain) , for god's sake youre too fucking dumb to own a driver's licensea

Date: July 02, 2009 11:53AM

I-66 inbound (east) in the afternoon is not HOV restricted, only outbound (west). Likewise in the morning, only inbound is restricted.

Date: July 02, 2009 12:02PM

aaa Wrote:
> Rob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have driven there plenty of times, However i
> > failed to notice/realize that this was the
> case.
> > This is very odd, how would a person, get to
> there
> > home if they are comming from the beltway?
>
>
> Ah... maybe a map book or gps (or stop and ask
> somebody who does have a brain) , for god's sake
> youre too fucking dumb to own a driver's licensea

Go to hell you tool. I was asking a question that was unclear to many, including the op who unfortunately got pulled over for such mistake. However I understand now what you guys were talking about. I never drive on 66 inside of the beltway, so i do not have to worry about it, and that is a reason why i failed to realize. I only drive ton 66 outside of beltway.

Date: July 02, 2009 12:31PM

Go get cancer and die.

Posted by: JayBee ()
Date: July 02, 2009 12:44PM

Cut some slack, people. I have lived here all my life (early 40's) and I didn't realize that inside the beltway during rush hours that 66 was restricted to only HOV. I thought only one lane might be, but not all lanes.

Of course, I always drove 95N into DC in the AM and 95S leaving in the afternoon and if I rode in via 66, I would use the Metro from Vienna. I would also pay the ticket thinking it was MY mistake that I made, not the cop. Wrong is wrong in the end.

Date: July 02, 2009 01:02PM

I don't think the issue is whether one lives in the area and knows about it or not if they never drive it, it's if when one DOES drive it they should have known they were in violation and is it proper to get indignant and blame others if they get a ticket.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 09:39PM by pgens.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 02, 2009 09:21PM

who would want to drive on 66 during rushour anyway, it's a shithole. All that traffic.

Speaking of the airport idea, if I am coiming from the beltway to anywhere near loudon, i take the airport business road, and get gas at the exxon there at the airport. I make sure to get a receipt and then I have conducted airport business, as well as driven on the traffic-free airport road.

I was just on it yesterday and I saw someone get pulled over for speeding (cop showed the driver the radar gun). Never seen that before.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 03, 2009 11:49PM

Ignorant driver Wrote:
> I've just spent the last hour researching this,
> and apparently it's always been like this, but all
> of i-66 is restricted to hov during rush hour. I
> didn't know (despite growing up here ... I never
> drive in DC), and I saw the signs and figured it
> was just for a lane or something (like the other
> side of 66 -- outside of the beltway). But i got
> worried and so exited the highway -- just to be
> met by a cop who gave me a ticket, no sympathy.
> Should i fight it -- I wasn't knowingly breaking
> the law and I exited once I figured it out. the
> overall consensus is judges are extremely harsh on
> HOV violations but since the entire highway is HOV
> instead of just one lane, i feel like i might have
> a chance. opinions (not of the you're-an-idiot
> variety) welcome.

The only chance you have in fighting it, is if you can somehow "prove" that you were headed to, from, or between DCA and/or IAD (Reagan National Airport, and/or Dulles International Airport). It's a loophole for commuters which was created for use by Airport employees and those Picking up or Dropping off Airline Passengers.

I've lived here my entire life too, and much of my family commutes/commuted on 66 during various hours for work, for 35 Years, and NONE of us has ever known of this utterly absurd law. The only way I found out about it, was when one of my friends was pulled over just like you.

It's actually a bogus law, because it preys on unsuspecting individuals with fines used solely for funds (Which our taxes go towards anyways). It needs to be stricken from the books.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 04, 2009 01:12AM

Ignorant driver Wrote:
opinions (not of the you're-an-idiot
> variety) welcome.

Claim that there were 3 very small people with you in the car. Then claim to have them with you in court to testify on your behalf:

"Here they are, Your Honor, here in the palm of my hand. Can't you see them? They're very small." Then pretend to speak to them...then start yelling at them to "SPEAK UP!! THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU AND WILL THINK I'M CRAZY!!"

A maniacal laugh at this point might help (so might crying).

Or you could just pay the ticket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2009 01:13AM by trogdor!.

Date: July 04, 2009 02:47AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> The only chance you have in fighting it, is if you
> can somehow "prove" that you were headed to, from,
> or between DCA and/or IAD (Reagan National
> Airport, and/or Dulles International Airport).
> It's a loophole for commuters which was created
> for use by Airport employees and those Picking up
> or Dropping off Airline Passengers.

It doesn't have to be travel between IAD and DCA. If you have "business" at Dulles Airport, you can travel along 66 to the Toll Road connector, and then onto the Dulles Access Road. The reason it's a "loophole" is because 66 is one of only a few highways (123, 495, 7, etc) that even connect to the Dulles Access Road, and thus the HOV restrictions actually restrict access to the airport. In fact, the only other way to get from downtown DC to the Access Road is by taking GW Parkway to either 495 or 123. Thus, they have always allowed airport traffic to use 66 even during HOV restrictions.

>
> I've lived here my entire life too, and much of my
> family commutes/commuted on 66 during various
> hours for work, for 35 Years, and NONE of us has
> ever known of this utterly absurd law. The only
> way I found out about it, was when one of my
> friends was pulled over just like you.
>

I really cannot fathom how you could be so poorly informed about a major highway in the area in which you grew up. I mean, really, what else don't you know? and I don't mean that insultingly, more like I mean that to suggest you might want to reflect upon your awareness of the world you live in, your situational awareness, what you tend to focus on and how informed you are about all the basic knowledge the rest of us take for granted.

(I realize that they do polls every few years asking people things like "who is the president of the US" and there's always a percentage of people who just don't know, or get it wrong. Is this the same sort of statistical anomaly?)

> It's actually a bogus law, because it preys on
> unsuspecting individuals with fines used solely
> for funds (Which our taxes go towards anyways). It
> needs to be stricken from the books.

No, it really isn't. In order to understand the law, you need to understand the goals it attempted to achieve. When they built 66 early on, from Roosevelt Bridge to the Beltway, it was intended to be a carpool highway. There are numerous other routes into the city between both potomac bridges from the beltway. This one was designed to reduce congestion by taking cars off the road.

This sort of ignorance about the intent is why we now have "HOV 2" when they originally did numerous studies to determine that it wasn't a carpool until 3 or more people were in the car. Two people isn't a carpool, it's just half of the average cars on the road. The purpose is to take cars off the road, in the same way that buses and subway systems take cars off the road. It was to reduce congestion.

I disagree with the HOT lanes being built on the beltway, and I disagree with the newby reductionist demands that led to HOV being reduced to HOV 2, but the original idea is still sound, and actually did work to reduce traffic, at least for a while.

BTW, I am still absolutely dismayed that you could not understand that 66 is HOV inside the beltway, outbound in the afternoon, and inbound in the morning. I've had relatives come in for 3 days who figured it out as soon as they saw the signs, and even a few who knew about it before they even got here. To live here all your life and not know, I mean, what rock do you live under? Seriously, I'm not flaming you, I'm just totally dumbfounded.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2009 02:55AM by Thurston Moore.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 04, 2009 06:02PM

I myself actually forgot that 66 became completley HOV at that time. I drive on it frequently, but i don't read the signs beucase i pass it so much and i dont get on the beltway there so i don;t need to read those signs. Of course I come on here and am reminded, but I can't understand why you would want to drive on that section of road during rush hour anyways, it's a piece of shit

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: July 06, 2009 08:45PM

Everyone is forgetting the real issue here.

NOVA ROADS SUCK SUCK SUCK.. WIDEN 66 inside the beltway!!!!!! or create another highway in.. (turn route 50 into a highway for example)

Date: July 07, 2009 07:51AM

Yeah, just turn 50, which is dotted with neighborhood and shopping center access, into a highway. Easy. How about a cheaper and more feasible idea... take the money and buy early retirement for half the people who commute along that route, chosen by lottery. Cut the cars in half and save money in the process.

Date: July 07, 2009 09:16AM

As my wife likes to point out, widening 66 inside the beltway will just cause an unimaginable traffic crush on constitution... to widen 66 would require a million other changes to be made to make that happen, and the government likely will not allow the pristine mall parkland to be co-opted.

Posted by: rich ()
Date: July 14, 2009 06:31PM

I just got one entering I-66 W from Rt 7. I wasn't even on I-66 yet as they're on the ramp and pull you over there. I'm not local. Guess I missed a sign. Seems pretty lame.

Date: July 14, 2009 06:40PM

Oh yeah, that spot is an afternoon favorite for the police. Cars are lined up there daily.

Posted by: Bounce House ()
Date: July 14, 2009 09:18PM

Flame me if if makes you happy, but I was unaware of this until reading it here after living here for two years. So if I have to get to National airport from Vienna for an early morning flight, do I have to take 50 to 27?

Date: July 14, 2009 09:33PM

Yes.

Date: July 14, 2009 10:40PM

Depends on "early"... if you can be off 66 by 6:30 you are okay. But even if you bail off on 496 and head over to 50 and take that in, it is actually almost as fast as 66 to make it to DC if you do it before 7a.

Date: July 15, 2009 08:58AM

Bounce House Wrote:
> Flame me if if makes you happy, but I was unaware
> of this until reading it here after living here
> for two years. So if I have to get to National
> airport from Vienna for an early morning flight,
> do I have to take 50 to 27?

Yes.

Date: July 15, 2009 09:01AM

BTW bounce house, I think a lot of us are aiming our venom at the people who have lived here 10+ years and didn't know.. I think two years is very forgivable, but I am merely talking about public opinion, you would still deserve a ticket.

Date: July 15, 2009 09:04AM

pgens Wrote:
> Depends on "early"... if you can be off 66 by 6:30
> you are okay. But even if you bail off on 496 and
> head over to 50 and take that in, it is actually
> almost as fast as 66 to make it to DC if you do it
> before 7a.

Never heard of Route 496.

Date: July 15, 2009 09:21AM

So true, fumble-fingered the post.

Posted by: refcfe2 ()
Date: July 15, 2009 01:51PM

Statute requires the fine be $125 plus specific related costs - going to court won't solve anything because the judge's hands are tied.

Pay the ticket - its a civil penalty and not a point-based traffic crime.

I was actually acquitted of an HOV violation in 2000 - claiming my ignorance as a freshman in college. The conversation eventually got the courtroom laughing and the judge said he appreciated that I drove and dressed up to tell him a joke. In the hallway an attorney came up and said "You'll have to explain how you did that, thats the first time I have heard of someone getting out of an HOV"

Posted by: mcc ()
Date: August 24, 2009 08:30PM

I received a ticket and hope to challenge it in court. As part of my defense, I photographed the three signs that lead up to the 495/66 intersection. FYI - they just say "66 HOV restrictions apply". They do not specify that the ENTIRE road is HOV ONLY. Earlier, someone mentioned the diamond marks on the road. FYI - once you are inside the beltway, there are NO such marks between 495 and the Route 7 exit. So, the only way to be aware of the law is to be formally notified with a ticket.

Date: August 24, 2009 09:34PM

mcc Wrote:
> I received a ticket and hope to challenge it in
> court. As part of my defense, I photographed the
> three signs that lead up to the 495/66
> intersection. FYI - they just say "66 HOV
> restrictions apply". They do not specify that the
> ENTIRE road is HOV ONLY.

lol

Date: August 27, 2009 12:25PM

mcc Wrote:
> Earlier, someone
> mentioned the diamond marks on the road. FYI -
> once you are inside the beltway, there are NO such
> marks between 495 and the Route 7 exit. So, the
> only way to be aware of the law is to be formally
> notified with a ticket.

Or, perhaps, to pay attention to the signs.
Enjoy your day in court. It should be amusing.

---------------------------------
Who knows from whence he came, and who knows where he goes, dot dot dot.

Date: August 27, 2009 12:33PM

Every single time I have heard someone try to challenge the HOV based on that argument, inadequate signage (several times now), the judge has shot them down with something akin to "ignorance of the law is no excuse, you should know the laws where you are".

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: August 27, 2009 01:18PM

I think most people would assume that the Interstate Highway System would have uniform laws throughout the country, and that an American citizen with a driver's license is free to travel on it. Not that there's a special law that only applies to one road in the country, that closes off a federal Interstate highway so that informed locals from one area can commute on it.

If you put up an official-looking sign that said something like "No purple cars," 99% of people would just drive past it because they wouldn't think to look for such a sign. Nobody spends their time looking out for such a sign.

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: August 27, 2009 03:11PM

Snapple Wrote:
> I think most people would assume that the
> Interstate Highway System would have uniform laws
> throughout the country, and that an American
> citizen with a driver's license is free to travel
> on it. Not that there's a special law that only
> applies to one road in the country, that closes
> off a federal Interstate highway so that informed
> locals from one area can commute on it.

Except the HOV diamond is a uniform sign. It always means that the lanes are reserved for high-occupancy vehicles. Look, I grew up in podunk-ville -- there wasn't even an interstate highway there for much of my childhood -- and we still had to know what the HOV diamonds meant for the written exam, even though there were certainly no HOV lanes nearby.

> If you put up an official-looking sign that said
> something like "No purple cars," 99% of people
> would just drive past it because they wouldn't
> think to look for such a sign. Nobody spends their
> time looking out for such a sign.

But you know what? If no purple cars was the law, you'd still get pulled over and ticketed. You still have to pay attention to and obey all official road signs. What, you think the laws just don't apply to you, precious snowflake?

Date: August 27, 2009 03:13PM

Sorry, but the diamond and the signage are standard on the US interstate highway system. Again, ignorance is no excuse. Ignore highway signs at your own risk. As I posted before, if you aren't used to a detour sign where you normally drive and you ignore it, expect to collide with something because you are a dummy.

Posted by: cd ()
Date: September 01, 2009 09:33PM

I just got one today.. I was furious when i found out it was 125 + 65 processing fee for 1st OFFENSE.. sick and tired of Virginia trying to make money off its drivers

Posted by: Rocky ()
Date: September 02, 2009 12:26AM

I feel for you, CD. Traffic was awful this morning. I think its horse s that our taxes and toll dollars finance all of this, yet we can not use the roadswill we've paid for WHEN WE NEED THEM. Ultimately, the individual commuter usually take the commute of least resistance. If public transportation is the best alternative, they'll take it. If not, they'll drive. I'd be curious to know what kind of environmental impact, and congestion increase, can be attributed to people who end up driving around HOV. I hope the d-bags in Arlington enjoy the additional traffic and pollution that goes through many of their residential neighborhoods as opposed to being confined to the Interstate.

Posted by: circus clown ()
Date: September 02, 2009 05:09AM

Rocky Wrote:
> I feel for you, CD. Traffic was awful this
> morning. I think its horse s that our taxes and
> toll dollars finance all of this, yet we can not
> use the roadswill we've paid for WHEN WE NEED
> THEM. Ultimately, the individual commuter usually
> take the commute of least resistance. If public
> transportation is the best alternative, they'll
> take it. If not, they'll drive. I'd be curious to
> know what kind of environmental impact, and
> congestion increase, can be attributed to people
> who end up driving around HOV. I hope the d-bags
> in Arlington enjoy the additional traffic and
> pollution that goes through many of their
> residential neighborhoods as opposed to being
> confined to the Interstate.

Right on, Rocky! Those frickin' "HOT" lanes and "HOV" lanes. With the space needed for guard rails on 95N and for the future HOT lanes on the VA beltway, there'd be room for an additional lane or two. Too many pointed-headed politicians and phd'd traffic engineers who come up with this shit.

Date: September 02, 2009 07:00AM

cd Wrote:
> I just got one today.. I was furious when i found
> out it was 125 + 65 processing fee for 1st
> OFFENSE.. sick and tired of Virginia trying to
> make money off its drivers

It isn't... it is making money off its lawbreakers and criminals. More of same I say, I'd rather have that be the case than raise income taxes. I drove to work on HOV lanes today legally and I didn't pay a dime.

Posted by: Energyman ()
Date: November 17, 2009 06:20PM

I got one on 66 heading west. I do not drive on 66, I live in Fredericksburg and use 395/95, but it was July 2 holiday traffic, so I decided to take the "back way" to 29/15.
I entered 66 at the TR bridge, noted the signs that HOV runs from 4pm to 6:30 pm. It was 3:15 or so. By the time I got to the Beltway, it was 3:35. I was driving in the left lane. I crossed the bridge over the Beltway--ahead I saw a trooper's vehicle pulled over on the left shoulder under the Dunn Loring Metro station. I also noted a sign that the left lane was HOV restricted from 3 to 7. This being the first sign I saw (the one at the bridge was partially obstructed by construction equipment), I signaled to move left and completed the merge at the first diamond.
Now, statutorily, VDOT must "appropriately mark" with signs or other markers HOV restrictions. I was following the most recent sign (the one in Roslyn) that says HOV is from 4 to 6:30. I cannot follow a sign that is obstructed. When I observed the sign right before (0.1 mile) the trooper, I moved over.
I was not ignorant of the law...that is not my excuse. My defense is that it is the statutory responsibility of the Commonwealth Transportation Board and VDOT to "appropriately mark" this lane.
I am not a scofflaw on HOV--I religiously pick up slugs to drive HOV on 395/95. What do you think?

Date: November 17, 2009 07:58PM

I think we'll look forward to what the judge says, and good luck.

Personally I think if you tell the judge you moved over at the first sign you saw he'll let you off... the officer was too close to the crossover point to catch people knowingly in the HOV lane. If you gave that story getting caught further out (Vienna metro area or beyond) he wouldn't. It is possible there was a sign on 66 before you hit the beltway that gave the outside-beltway HOV hours, but with all the HOT lane construction my guess is the judge will see it your way and dismiss the ticket.

Posted by: oneAndOnlyTimer ()
Date: December 23, 2009 10:54AM

"I was not ignorant of the law...that is not my excuse. My defense is that it is the statutory responsibility of the Commonwealth Transportation Board and VDOT to "appropriately mark" this lane.
I am not a scofflaw on HOV--I religiously pick up slugs to drive HOV on 395/95. What do you think?"

Energyman, let us know what happens, because I can't find a law that says that on any books and the signs don't clearly say "No NON HOV CARS BEYOND THIS POINT" when you're coming into the city on 66 inside the beltway at 8AM. How am I supposed to know a law on the books somewhere? How do I find it? I'm not on the "BAR" with regular lawyer updates. It is the states responsibility to clearly state what the "HOV 66 Restrictions" are and as of now they definitely have NOT done that.
MCC you are right. Unfortunately they want their money to pay themselves and it may not work. And unfortunately, even though I did not willfully and knowingly break the law and when I deserve a ticket I would pay it, because I believe in paying for a crime when it is committed and when you deserve it. Unfortunately the truth doesn't seem to affect a judge or trooper who knows their next raise comes from your pocket, so it is apparent they intentionally are not putting up signs inside the beltway for rt 66 between 6-9 AM because they want poor working suckers who are visiting D.C. just once to pay them their salary and a raise on a continual ongoing basis.
Good luck. Let us know.
I will be giving these defenses also in court. Even if it costs me more, I know that I wouldn't knowingly break the law and didn't to my knowledge as it is laid out according to the signs, so I will at least rest easy that I did the right thing by telling my side of it, and that the state needs to clearly lay out the intention on a sign somewhere.

Posted by: oneAndOnlyTimer ()
Date: December 23, 2009 12:32PM

To top off my 8AM ticket at the rt 7 exit, the law enforcement officer lied to me when I asked him what the sign said. I asked him what the specific words on the sign were that I didn't see. At first he said he could not tell me, but that he has pictures of it.
Then after writing the ticket he said the sign says "All non HOV cars" are not allowed on rt 66 inside the beltway during the specified times.
At that point I wasn't about to argue with a liar who obviously just wanted to get his indirect raise by making the state money. It became obvious he didn't care what I was going to say, because he turned and walked away before I could finish my sentence telling him respectfully, "Thank you and have a nice day" as I do with all my law enforcement friends (and I do have many in every branch of law enforcement), and no I'm not going to go to my other trooper friends and try to slink my way out of something that is my responsibility. Troopers hate that and I don't blame them, because guilty people will do anything to get out of the ticket. But this will not diminish my moral obligation to try and get the state to put up signs that clearly state understandable words to common laymen salt of the earth working people that NON HOV CARS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN ANY LANE INSIDE THE BELTWAY AT 6-9AM or something similiar to this effect on the Westbound. Something has to tell drivers, get off on 495 because everything from here on in are ALL HOV lanes during specified times. Come on! So I will do my moral obligation indirectly through the judge to try to keep my spotless driving record spotless.

Posted by: Good Sound Advice ()
Date: December 23, 2009 01:01PM

Show up with a friend or child who is very small. Have that person swear out a deposition that they were in the vehicle with you, but crouched in the back seat. Accuse the arresting officer of racism and sexual harrassment, you will walk.

Posted by: eric6979 ()
Date: December 23, 2009 01:54PM

moral obligation? .....really?

fighting an HOV ticket has nothing to do with a moral obligation.

Also the fact that you did not know the i66 inside the beltway is HOV for several hours each day proves you are a dipshit.

There is not judge in fairfax county that will believe you when you say you have lived in this area your whole life and did not know that i66 inside the beltway was HOV.

Have you considered the fact that a good chunk of VSP times in NOVA is spent enforing HOV? believe me when I say they have heard all of your BS arguments that "i didnt know it was HOV" or "i didnt see the sign". The trooper is going to be able to produce pictures of what the sign said and the vast majority of the judges personally drive on these roads all the time. VSP troopers spend tons of time in front of these judges and winning their cases.

Save yourself the time and pay the ticket you cheap bozo!!

Posted by: Stormtrooper ()
Date: December 26, 2009 04:00PM

NO, go to court and fight it. I can't believe that there are so many pro-HOV people commenting here. The advice to "just pay it" is terrible advice for many reasons. First of all, he has a right to go to court and fight it. In America we are innocent until PROVEN guilty. Too many people just pay their tickets which is exactly what the cops want. Also... single people also pay taxes which are supposed to go towards the interstate. To restrict singles from driving on it is discrimination. People would carpool if they had a chance to because gas is so expensive. Many people can't carpool because they work odd shifts or work in a restricted site off the beaten path. A carpool lane inside the beltway is counter-productive because it's all urban. many people are coming and going all throughout Arlington, so HOV only doesn't help many people. In fact (as it was previously mentioned) it diverts traffic to other roads which are already congested. Widening I-66 is a great idea, but will take time. Until then we need to lift the restrictions inside the beltway or keep 1 lane open to all traffic. Cops should be cracking down on violent criminals, drugdealers, and dangerous drivers not BS traffic laws which are just a money making sceme. Virginia brings in millions of $$$ via the car tax, but yet they still feel the need to fine us for HOV, parking etc. The law needs to change!

Posted by: AssHoles ()
Date: December 28, 2009 10:04AM

I think the monetary fine should be lifted if you can rat-out a cop with tint on his personal vehicle.

This police presence would be much better appreciated in the nieghborhoods, slowing down traffic for children walking to school or ensuring they don't get abducted.

Next up:

FINES for ALL with tires not inflated to the recommended specifications.

Date: December 28, 2009 04:20PM

Stormtrooper Wrote:
> NO, go to court and fight it. I can't believe that
> there are so many pro-HOV people commenting here.
> The advice to "just pay it" is terrible advice for
> many reasons. First of all, he has a right to go
> to court and fight it. In America we are innocent
> until PROVEN guilty. Too many people just pay
> their tickets which is exactly what the cops want.

Nobody is disputing the right to go to court and fight the ticket. We're just saying it's a waste of time. If he wants to waste his time fighting a ticket and (probably) losing, that is his right.

> Also... single people also pay taxes which are
> supposed to go towards the interstate. To restrict
> singles from driving on it is discrimination.

That's a bullshit argument. My tax dollars pay for schools as well, but I have no kids, and I can't just walk into the local High School and demand to take classes.

Bottom line, it comes to this: Was he driving illegally in the HOV lanes? - Yes.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. The on-ramps are marked. If he didn't see the signs, he's not paying attention while driving. If he didn't know the law, he's not paying attention while living.

---------------------------------
Who knows from whence he came, and who knows where he goes, dot dot dot.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: December 28, 2009 06:32PM

oneAndOnlyTimer Wrote:
> But this will not diminish my moral
> obligation to try and get the state to put up
> signs that clearly state understandable words to
> common laymen salt of the earth working people
> that NON HOV CARS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN ANY LANE
> INSIDE THE BELTWAY AT 6-9AM or something similiar
> to this effect on the Westbound. Something has to
> tell drivers, get off on 495 because everything
> from here on in are ALL HOV lanes during specified
> times.

Eastbound 66 is very clearly marked. So I am not sure what you are talking about.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: December 28, 2009 06:49PM

Re: Just got an HOV ticket on I-66, should i just pay it? new
Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: December 28, 2009 06:32PM

oneAndOnlyTimer Wrote:
> But this will not diminish my moral
> obligation to try and get the state to put up
> signs that clearly state understandable words to
> common laymen salt of the earth working people
> that NON HOV CARS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN ANY LANE
> INSIDE THE BELTWAY AT 6-9AM or something similiar
> to this effect on the Westbound. Something has to
> tell drivers, get off on 495 because everything
> from here on in are ALL HOV lanes during specified
> times.

Eastbound 66 is very clearly marked. So I am not sure what you are talking about.

I guess oneAndOnlyTimer must be fucking stupid

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: MM ()
Date: October 05, 2010 06:26AM

Spot on! All those on here who pretend it's the most obvious thing in the world might just be genius but it's no wonder why there's so many others trying to find out wtf is going on with this highway. I moved here about two months ago and had a friend telling me about this and almost didnt believe him, figured i'd google it and here i am...pretty crazy stuff, a complete highway of HOV lanes, which shouldn't be a problem as long as you just clearly would be told to GET OFF BEYOND THIS POINT IF...
Look if you have never heard of this before and you see this sign saying, HOV only it makes one think that you cant get in the left lane...from what i know there's just one other highway out there in the entire country that has similar regulations (somewhere in LA) so to be confused doesnt seem to be that weird

Posted by: MM is a dumbass ()
Date: October 05, 2010 06:43AM

Not knowing the law is not an excuse. Seems quite obvious to me and most of the people on this board.

"a complete highway of HOV lane"....if you think I-66 inside the beltway could be considered a highway. It's two lanes and more like a parking lot. Way to bump a post that is almost a year old to add nothing of use. Guess you don't know about internet etiquette either.

Posted by: Insane Crap Posse ()
Date: October 05, 2010 06:46AM

Fucking signage, how does it work?

Reading is hard.

Posted by: wejudget ()
Date: October 05, 2010 06:49AM

I say that you go to court and say you will not pay and ask to go to jail for 1 week instead, due to bad economy and your lack of respect for the road. Jail will teach some respect for others.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: October 05, 2010 06:50AM

MM is a dumbass Wrote:
> Not knowing the law is not an excuse.

This. I love when people pretend they're going to go to court, stand up for their right to be stupid, and beat a no-brainer ticket like an HOV violation. It's all talk. Just pay the fine and be quiet. And learn to read road signs while you're at it.

Date: October 05, 2010 10:21AM

I guess OP and other folks are fucking illiterate - especially when you have signs like this on I395 and on I95. This is the I395 sign, but you get the point....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 10:21AM by ITRADE.

Posted by: Jonn Q ()
Date: November 11, 2010 05:29PM

It should say ALL LANES RESTRICTED. No where is it cleary that the whole highway is HOV. The norm in this country is the left lane(s), not a whole interstate like 66.

Date: November 11, 2010 05:55PM

LOL, you're right. The first image here definitely isn't clear enough:

http://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0066wava

Maybe we need to have separate Retard Lanes for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 05:57PM by Kilton.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: November 11, 2010 09:27PM

I agree that having an entire commuting highway be HOV-Only is extremely unusual, confusing, and insufficiently posted.

Posted by: 50287100 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 09:59PM

OP-
judges are unable to dismiss HOV violations in fairfax county. went to traffic court a few months back and there were numerous people who's pleads were shot down by a reluctant judge. i forget what the term is, but basically they in no way can dismiss or lower an HOV citation. just pay it.

Posted by: 50287100 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 10:00PM

damn. didnt realize how old this post is. what a waste.

Posted by: WorkinginFairfax ()
Date: February 10, 2011 07:26PM

I can corroborate: all HOV cases today were outright deemed guilty with no leniency for good records, timing, unfamiliarity, intent, or any other rational arguments. No leeway for judges to reduce the fine either. Such a massive waste of time. Too bad the officers are incented to catch well-intentioned drivers at just a few minutes past 4pm instead of tackling the more difficult task of enforcing speeding, aggressive driving, and distracted driving laws, not to mention DUI.

Posted by: Shante ()
Date: February 11, 2011 01:44AM

I have an idea, why don't you just obey the laws, you fucking moron?

A law is a law. Follow it.

Fucking whining faggot.

Why don't you try contributing something to society instead of whining about the laws you knowingly violate?

I swear, you ffxu crackers are worse than the chickenheads they showed when obama got into office.

WorkinginFairfax Wrote:
> I can corroborate: all HOV cases today were
> outright deemed guilty with no leniency for good
> records, timing, unfamiliarity, intent, or any
> other rational arguments. No leeway for judges to
> reduce the fine either. Such a massive waste of
> time. Too bad the officers are incented to catch
> well-intentioned drivers at just a few minutes
> past 4pm instead of tackling the more difficult
> task of enforcing speeding, aggressive driving,
> and distracted driving laws, not to mention DUI.

Posted by: ALAWISLAW ()
Date: February 11, 2011 02:44AM

A new law dont bring up dead post. Live and die by it.

Posted by: CrabbyNative ()
Date: February 11, 2011 12:38PM

No. Don't pay it. Just keep breaking the rules because they clearly do not apply to you. Then write a post whining about how you got a ticket and ask for advice because you a too stupid to figure this out on your own.

Posted by: JohnnyLaw ()
Date: February 12, 2011 06:41PM

Not sure how the law for all lanes restricted inside the beltway but my guess is the real crybabies. The Arlington county residents. It's a federal highway and shouldn't be restricted because of the local yocals. How ridiculous.
If all lanes weren't restricted then this going back and forth about tickets and such wouldn't be a thread.
The VSP has been known by LE personnel on the east coast to be state-wide meter maids. There are a lot of violent criminals traveling these roads and the VSP should be focusing on picking them out for car stops instead of lame HOV violations.
Richmond needs to wake up.

Posted by: Road rage ()
Date: February 12, 2011 06:55PM

Please advise VSP of any "REAL" criminals you might observe. Since you are apparently an ignorant dumbfuck, the Oklahoma City bomber was caught because of a minor traffic violation .Why dont you do your job and leave law enforcement to do theirs.

Posted by: JohnnyLaw ()
Date: February 12, 2011 10:17PM

Actually, you are the ignorant one. McVeigh was stopped do to the trooper observing a tag violation not an HOV (administrative) violation. That is good suspicious PC for a car stop which lead to more as those types of stops usually do.
Get with it clown.

Posted by: B ()
Date: May 20, 2011 10:21AM

Before I'm berated for getting an HOV ticket or hit with some unnecessary racist comment by Shante, I have a question:
It is my first time around the innerloop beltway (I believe innerloop - heading in from Alexandria) and my GPS said to get off at 49B. However, 49B is the exit for 66E. Unfortunately, the sign for 66 HOV isn't visible until AFTER the concrete lane divider starts because of all the construction. With pictures/video as proof, what are the chances of getting out of the ticket? Once a driver is in the lane they're trapped and forced to exit on 66.
When I got to work, I looked on Google Street View directions and there isn't a sign at the exit ramp. I wanted to doublecheck. Thanks for the help in advance.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 20, 2011 10:24AM

@B - take pictures of ALL the signs. You might have a case because of all the construction going on.

Good luck

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 20, 2011 10:46AM

B Wrote:
> Unfortunately, the sign for 66
> HOV isn't visible until AFTER the concrete lane
> divider starts because of all the construction.
> With pictures/video as proof, what are the chances
> of getting out of the ticket? Once a driver is in
> the lane they're trapped and forced to exit on 66.

I would make real sure there were no HOV signs a mile or two prior to that giving the hours. If you can take video for two or three miles up to that point and there are no signs, and the very first time a driver could possibly have known they were driving onto HOV is too late you may get the judge to buy it. I don't have a lot of confidence such a video could be taken, I'm guessing there are signs before that point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 10:47AM by justsayin.

Posted by: Know the Rules ()
Date: May 20, 2011 11:02AM

For anyone who has a valid license to drive, it is your responsibility to know all of the rules. Sorry, just a fact! Even though there are things you may never get pulled over for (going 5mph over) you have to know them.

When I lived in in North Carolina, it seemed that it was a little known rule that you did not have to stop for an oncoming school bus with flashing red lights if you were on a road which had two lanes in both directions that included a designated center turn lane (suicide lane). I did know this.

So when I got pulled over for it, I gladly went to court with the state of NC drivers handbook and showed it to the judge. The judge was incredibly mad at the officer who in turn got mad at me. My charges were dismissed.

So brush up on your knowledge of the rules. It really will help you.

Posted by: driverr ()
Date: May 27, 2011 08:51PM

idiots are constantly driving in the HOV hours and breaking the rules. Cops need to step it up and start ticketing all of them. Just makes traffic worse, dumbasses

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: December 31, 2011 12:04PM

I live in DC and walk to work each day. Yesterday I was visiting a friend in VA and got this same HOV ticket.

I am more than happy to pay a fine for ignoring a clearly posted law. But I entered 66 from Constitution and the ONLY HOV related sign was a temporary one reading, "HOV restrictions enforced." To a visitor or one who does not use this highway, how can this be accurately interpreted? My first and only reasonable inclination would be to avoid the left-lane, the HOV lane on all other highways.

The short story is: the signage needs to be clear. Given the lack of clear signage, a warning should be issued to first time offenders. Furthermore, it is an insult to tack on a $64 "processing fee," for all who are, however incredulous, willing to pay the fine and move on.

One last note, could we spare one another the unkind cursing? Consider civility. This is far from an open-and-shut case.

Posted by: Lauren 2 ()
Date: January 05, 2012 01:17AM

I got the same ticket back in October 2011. I was paying attention to the signs and saw that I-66 is HOV, but I did not realize that it is entirely HOV during certain hours (as others have mentioned, usually there is a designated lane, and I did not look closely at the final sign). From what I could see, only one sign says that it is entirely HOV during certain hours - the one hanging over the exit. By the time you can read it, you've already exited and are surrounded by concrete barriers. I think there might be an exit directly following that one and within the barriers, but I'm not entirely sure. If there is no way to avoid getting onto I-66 once you've exited, then I do not believe first time offenders should get a ticket.

If I remember correctly though, the law governing HOV violations only states that the signs must be posted in a way that the legislature deems fit. So if they deem crappy signage to be fit, I'm not sure how to work around that (which is ultimately why I paid the ticket instead of going to court).

Posted by: Michael Allen ()
Date: February 22, 2012 09:09AM

I have lived in Arlington for five years but I had never used 66 West during Rush Hour. I always use it going West in the late morning and going East in the early afternoon or after Rush Hour. Therefore, even though I had read the sign several times, I just forgot about it. (I am retired so I really try to stay off the roads
during rush hour.)

I use the the part of 66 between Ballston and Route 7 as part of my local driving.
I don't think of it as a major highway because for me it is just part of my local driving. (It is tough to get to Tysons on local roads because they were all chopped up when 66 was built.)

If you use a road several times a week, you might start to ignore the signs too.

An old friend called and asked me to dinner on Route 7. I had not seen him in
years so I went to meet him.

OK, so in the back of my mind I did know there were restrictions. I understand that I made a mistake.

However, while I know I made a mistake, I also know that I did not know it was
breaking the law when I entered Route 66. I did not break the law on purpose and
there wasn't much traffic when I broke the law. (I know, that is no excuse.)

But consider how one feels after a ticket like this. The fine is very high for
someone who is retired and living on a fixed income.

If I make the same mistake again, that fine will double!

I am a good citizen who has never been arrested but even I lose some respect
for the Police when they are asked to be "Prince John's Tax collectors".

I have made mistakes before. (Much worse mistakes.) The Officers have always
given me a break of some sort, or at least listened to my reason for speeding. (Even though I had been knowingly speeding!)

Real Policemen often give breaks to those who run red lights at the very end of
the yellow. Real Police use their better judgement and often bend over backwards to be fair. (If you show them some respect for the job they have to do.)

We now seem to have some kind of, "Got You" enforcement. You make a mistake and
the radar will get you every single time. You go meet a friend for dinner and if you make a mistake ten police cars are waiting for you.

Why is it that so many people get caught at the same exact location every single
day??? Could it be the sign that you can't see until after you have passed the last exit before entering Route 66??

When thousands of citizens break the same law, wouldn't a real policeman, (If he were allowed to think for himself.), ask why? Is it perhaps an unfair law? Or maybe an unclear law?

Laws that make thousands of otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals are
very bad for society because as I think about how I was punished severely for
making a mistake and forgetting the law for a moment, I might start wondering
if the government might be sending people to jail for forgetting something.

Consider that our speeding laws are enforced by giving the speeder five miles leeway because the Police don't want to give a ticket to those who might not be looking at their speedometer constantly. (The Officer won't even pull you
over for going 4 miles over the limit!)

Not so with the modern, Tax Collecting first, enforcement.

Good Laws are simple to understand and easy to comply with.

This ticket has caused me, and I suspect lots of other folks,
to lose some of our respect for the Law.

That my friend, is bad law!!!

Posted by: BMW driver ()
Date: January 30, 2013 04:25PM

I just went to court for HOV I66 westbound just west of the beltway.

There it is confusing, because there is no sign for a mile, but you only get two-tenths of a mile to merge out of the HOV lane into the regular lanes.

To add to the confusion, they just painted the right hand lane completely red. What does a Red lane mean? It's not the HOV lane. I don't know what it is.

Anyway, I told my sad story to the judge in a trial. Guilty, but no fine; just court costs of $62. Plus a whole day wasted in court with ignorant immigrants and senior citizens off their meds. Plus $10 to park in the courthouse parking.

So it's a wash. Depends on how much wages you lose by taking off work.

Seriously.............66 HOV has been the same way since Moses came down the mountain..................how the hell you gonna act like you dont know?
Date: January 30, 2013 05:13PM

ROFLMAO@U, beamerboy

at least now you know that you are NO BETTER than the ignorant immigrants and senior citizens off their meds...........since yuo found yrself hanging with them.

next time, PAY ATTENTION, son.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=vienna,+va&hl=en&ll=38.878188,-77.259507&spn=0.000033,0.013733&hnear=Vienna,+Fairfax,+Virginia&gl=us&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=38.878199,-77.267538&panoid=UBmJM-1eR058aPbhuUeQrQ&cbp=12,96.64,,0,0.79

hint: you kinda have to LOOK for the signs they put up about HOV before you bitch about how there are none..............

Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: January 30, 2013 05:25PM

Man I got one back in 97. That bitch was like $250.

Posted by: Annonomous ()
Date: January 30, 2013 11:00PM

Just pay it. A first offense won't put points on your license. The time and aggrivation at the courthouse plus parking and gas and if the judge doesn't reduce it to a lesser violation like improper turn you're gonna end up paying a good bit more when all is said and done. I don't know if a 1st HOV violation is still $125.00 plus something like $62.50 administrative fee. That's what I paid 5yrs. ago not going to court. The other post may be correct that you pay court cost weather you go to court or not. (That's the $62.50)

Posted by: kendra ()
Date: February 04, 2013 01:56PM

I got a hov ticket on 66 going towards tysons coming from 395. I got on at exit 8b. There is not a sign that says that 66 is hov (at that exit) during that time. Should I fight this?

Posted by: Anon. ()
Date: February 04, 2013 01:59PM

Just pay it. A first offense won't put points on your license. The time and aggrivation at the courthouse plus parking and gas and if the judge doesn't reduce it to a lesser violation like improper turn you're gonna end up paying a good bit more when all is said and done. I don't know if a 1st HOV violation is still $125.00 plus something like $62.50 administrative fee. That's what I paid 5yrs. ago not going to court. The other post may be correct that you pay court cost weather you go to court or not. (That's the $62.50)

Date: February 04, 2013 02:15PM

@kendra - whelp................if you took 8b off the Shirley then you would have passed this: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.888993,-77.067204&spn=0.001547,0.002411&gl=us&t=k&z=19&layer=c&cbll=38.889074,-77.06729&panoid=BD5h_u6OzFFfFTQ0qCn9JA&cbp=12,0.47,,0,3

and this: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.891846,-77.067764&spn=0.001547,0.002411&gl=us&t=k&z=19&layer=c&cbll=38.891846,-77.067764&panoid=vDPUKF9zYbC-By_OrNoHlA&cbp=12,37.61,,0,15.82

before even getting on 66........and EVEN THEN if you've chosen to ignore those signs (as well as the electronic 66 signs that talk about HOV) then you'd have this big ass mother at the end of the ramp: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.894885,-77.067604&spn=0.001547,0.002411&gl=us&t=k&z=19&layer=c&cbll=38.894885,-77.067604&panoid=JlZ5vINYJ875FJvO4V85VA&cbp=12,30.05,,0,4.3

so I'm pretty sure I know what yr fight will end up like LoLz

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: February 04, 2013 06:59PM

When I used to commute to the Pentagon on I66, I saw a dozen cars per day getting pulled over. There was no shortage of HOV dirtbags. Eastbound I66 - all the exits/entrances between the beltway and Arlington. The cops just camped out printing their own money on the side of the road.

Posted by: nocommonsense ()
Date: March 27, 2013 06:00PM

I live out of state and got one of these violations recently while in town on a business trip. I travel all over the country regularly, including NY, Chicago, SF, LA, & every high-traffic area of the country you can imagine; I have never seen in all my life an entire interstate become HOV only. The signs make no sense - HOV lanes are one thing, HOV interstates are completely different. WHen I took the exit, I actually thought a terrible wreck had happened, with at least 10 police cars parked on the left of the ramp and an equal number of citizens' cars on the right. If this many people get pulled over, it's clearly not obvious, even to local residents much less visitors, that the interstate is HOV only. I don't get tickets often, but I've never contested one - if I broke the law, that's my fault, nobody else's and I'll take responsibility. In this case, getting a ticket for being a lost tourist driving on a major interstate is just beyond insane.

This is nothing more than a government-endorsed scam. All of you whose local governments profit off this scheme should be ashamed. In my area, the local population wouldn't stand for this whatsoever. Poor local zoning and planning is not an excuse to turn a federally-funded highway into a local piggy bank.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: March 28, 2013 06:03AM

Yep. It isn't obvious. That's why there are many signs describing it.

Just tell the judge that you're illiterate and/or ignorant. The only reason that they made it HOV is to write tickets to the illiterate and or ignorant.

Date: March 28, 2013 08:23AM

nocommonsense Wrote:
> if I broke the law, that's my
> fault, nobody else's and I'll take responsibility.

Except for in this case, I guess. You broke the law, but it's not your fault and you ain't taking responsibility. Tough luck, stupid. :-)

notice the asshole still is saying "if I broke the law" like he's above it all. He's BETTER than everyone else, you see - HOV shouldnt apply to someone of his stature o_0
Date: March 28, 2013 08:28AM

@nocommonsense - love your hypocritical bullshit. First you act like yr a bigshot, gonna take responsiblity for yr actions.......then turn right around and whine: "...getting a ticket for being a lost tourist ..."

like wnrsm said, learn to read highway signs or stay the FUCK off of unfamiliar roads, Poindexter

Posted by: if there was a sign, I mised it. ()
Date: July 18, 2013 09:55AM

I got a ticket and I'll likely just pay. That isn't even the mesage at this point. I live in Alexandria, work in Fairfax, and have never met the vile, vitriolic individuals which seem to gravitate towards this thread.

I'm a big fan of NoVa and what you read here is NOT representative. Non-intuitve traffic laws but (normally) very warm and friendly people.

Posted by: Kevin Chandler ()
Date: September 19, 2013 02:58PM

So is the HOV restriction is lifted only if you are going to Dulles Airport, or is it applicable to Reagan National Airport as well? Can I go to Reagan by myself during rush hour inside the beltway?

Posted by: Another one... ()
Date: September 19, 2013 03:02PM

if there was a sign, I mised it. Wrote:
> I got a ticket and I'll likely just pay. That
> isn't even the mesage at this point. I live in
> Alexandria, work in Fairfax, and have never met
> the vile, vitriolic individuals which seem to
> gravitate towards this thread.
>
> I'm a big fan of NoVa and what you read here is
> NOT representative. Non-intuitve traffic laws but
> (normally) very warm and friendly people.

So you went back 4 months to dig up a dead thread to tell us how vile and vitriolic people here are?

Get a life.

Posted by: jason502 ()
Date: April 14, 2014 10:04PM

how much is the cost for the ticket???????

Posted by: YCjxG ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:31PM

if you don't pay fx. co. will use it to sue you and try to take your house and car (after taking your license and getting you fired)

------------------------------------
depends. did you have a good excuse for using the lane ? did you tell the judge yet ? tell us then

lane use is a tort. and btw that lane was already paid for the "lane assignment" is not a legal or statutory tort, more literally is a scoff tort

i used to drive on that road before they had HOV. it was already there. quite already there.

Re:HOV ticket
Posted by: Fought the Law...kinda ()
Date: April 15, 2014 03:14PM

I hate to help to resurrect an HOV ticket thread from the dead, but I see HOV questions here on FFXU all the time and wanted to add my experience in traffic court last week. I got caught dead-to-rights trying to push it at the tail-end of HOV hours, but had the time to go to my court date and wanted to get a definitive final answer on what the outcome of going to court really is. And I really wanted to disprove a rumor that an HOV ticket couldn't be reduced due to it being a VA statute.

First of all, you're not beating an HOV ticket. You messed up by trying to cheat the time a bit or were zoned out of your mind...so deal with it. It's a revenue generator to catch the tourists/unknowing/inattentive, but the cops are fair and play by the rules. 9am means 9am on the dot, 3:30pm means 3:30pm on the dot, and so forth and so on. If you can't make your exit by the designated time, don't risk it. Pleading 'not guilty' in court and then trying to explain is a complete waste of breath.

The best case scenario in court is to plead guilty, then state "I request leniency with a reduction of the fine." As long as you're not a knucklehead (and the officer standing right next to you will confirm that you are or aren't), you'll get a break. My first HOV ticket (and hopefully only) would've been $194 pre-paid online, but was only $101 pleading exactly as said above in court. Not a terrific outcome, but it's still $93 I could use. I luckily had the day off already and didn't have to use leave, so it ended up being worthwhile to spend two hours listening to everyone's sob stories in front of the judge at the courthouse. It may have been my lucky day with a favorable judge, a likeable officer, and the fact I waited 'til the very end as my officer was the last to present tickets. But throughout the whole morning, the judge was reducing fines down to anywhere from $10 to $50 + court costs, even on speeding tickets that should have been well over $200+. Being nice, dressing half-decent, and having a positive safe driving balance on your license only helps.

If having a chance at saving ~$90 is worth it to you, go to court. If not, pre-pay and move on. And don't get caught again, because every offense after the first one gets you an automatic -3 points off your license, along with a fine that doubles on each subsequent offense.

Posted by: UbJdw ()
Date: April 16, 2014 05:50PM

You messed up by trying to cheat

who said he cheated? it may have been legitimate.

well mr your court is fair. tickets used to be $15 and gas < $1.

and i'll dress up for court when the court and county stops cheating and stops skipping court

and the robe doesn't change a damn thing

-------------------------------
to me mr, you are talking like a thief, a car thief, that is a predator

i'll be looking for you

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.