HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
TJHSST Myths
Posted by: Angel ()
Date: January 19, 2016 05:48PM

I am a student at TJ High and I would like to say three things:

First, regarding the race, Asians and Whites are more common because they apply. If minorities decided to apply in greater numbers than the number of Hispanics and Blacks accepted would rise respectively. The admissions are NOT decided by the school but by a separate Admissions Board. The first round is decided PURELY by a test score and GPA. The semifinalist round is decided by teacher recommendations and a writing portion. (It will be administered this Saturday) TJ has had to TURN AWAY Asians in the past with higher scores because FCPS was complaining so much about other races not being represented. Those students had scores of below the 90th percentile while there were students in the 98th percentile being turned away. TJ's admission rate is 1/6, equivalent to top private schools in the country like John Hopkins (MD) or Berkley (CA).

Next, Students at TJ are just like students in other schools. There are drug and alcohol dealings as well as sexually promiscuous individuals. We all have social lives, but I will say that our sports teams do suck... real badly. The TJ proms, unlike other schools are held in high-end hotels instead of the school gym. TJ students get more freedom, the teachers are less strict about tardiness and you can eat lunch anywhere on campus. TJ has an extremely rigorous admissions process because only the cream of the crop are allowed to stay there. Our starting time is 8:40am and we end at about 4pm. It is almost exactly like a university. Students at TJ will often walk together to go grab smoothies and some food from Five Guys or just hang around and have fun after school.

Lastly, the benefits of TJ are stellar. Most of our teachers have PhDs and our newly renovated labs are astounding. TJ is ranked THE BEST public high school in ALL of America, out ranking even the SHSAT cluster of schools in New York City. We also have IBET for freshmen and our special 8th period block is the best.

PM me for more details. :)
Haters and Trolls are welcomed in this thread.
I'm glad you folks don't have anything else to do but be racist!!!
Have a wonderful day!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJHSST Myths
Posted by: Unit 8 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 06:14PM

Niggers!!!!!!

Posted by: CHOWDAH ()
Date: January 19, 2016 06:16PM

CHOWDAH

Posted by: Sometimes you have to earn it ()
Date: January 19, 2016 06:22PM

Well written, and quite correct. Get the grades - Get the goodies.

If they dumb it down, TJ won't be worth the extra effort required to attend.

Posted by: TJ applicant ()
Date: January 19, 2016 06:39PM

Is it a myth that Korean girls give good head?

Posted by: Your weave ()
Date: January 19, 2016 06:42PM

TJ was my safety school.

I chose Mount Vernon. I am Nardos King's weave hair.

Date: January 19, 2016 06:58PM

HAHAHHAHAAH ty :)

Date: January 19, 2016 07:00PM

TJ.. as a safety school... You do realize the top minds in the world attend TJ? Our alumni are always in Forbes 30 under 30 and are also Fortune 500 company CEOs.

Posted by: Your weave ()
Date: January 19, 2016 07:42PM

TJ is OK. I'll give that. OK

Date: January 19, 2016 07:49PM

Its the best PUBLIC school in the USA, there are private and charter schools that have much better facilities though...

Posted by: asdfghjkl ()
Date: January 19, 2016 08:24PM

Wasn't the frontman of Foo Fighters from TJHSST? No joke, I'm not a troll.

Posted by: tj myths ()
Date: January 19, 2016 08:25PM

The dearth of Hispanics and Blacks is caused by the failure of these students to apply? Talk about confusing correlation with causation, because that is what the original poster is doing. So much for TJ and the application of logic.

Minority students don't apply because only a fraction score high enough without racial preferences to be considered for admission, even in the first round. And they don't apply because so few can meet the minimum standards. And this is not surprising. Fairfax's achievement gap is the same as it is everywhere else in the country. The problem is the cognitive/IQ gap, as the book the Bell Curve reflected years ago. Remember, Evan Glazer (who I admire) instituted years ago a minimum GPA to stay at TJ. TJ can't easily practice heavy affirmative action even though there are many effete, progressive apparatchiks in the county who want TJ to do so - the failure rate would be too noticeable.

The school averages near 1500 on the SAT for math and critical reading. The number of black students who score 750 on each part of the SAT is likely no more than 300-400 (if that) nationwide. Sure, a handful who can approach these scores live in Northern Virginia, and that handful likely attends TJ. But the number of 130 IQ black kids (and bear in mind to succeed at TJ you likely need far more octane than 130) is really, really small, with the distributions at the right edge of the curve being so tiny it is shocking. (Conversely, not talked about in the media, one sixth of blacks have an IQ of 70 or less - again not talked about publicly and beyond the ken of the average white or Asian person in terms of understanding - one reason the Supreme Court held that the death penalty cannot apply to those with an IQ under 70 is that in their polite, elitist world, they don't know anyone with an IQ below 70 who is not disabled - such as with a Downs syndrome person. Think instead of illiterate Rachel Jeantel, the witness in the Zimmerman case, and well, that is a common occurrence in that population, and something upper middle class people rarely experience). The IQ problem is not discussed in education circles, because, well, doing so publicly can get you fired. But IQ is the elephant in the room. And it is distressing that after spending trillions on social programs after the civil rights era the inter-generational IQ gap remains high and has grown in recent years.

TJ isn't all it is cracked up to be. For the right student - particularly a very bright student not hectored or tested up by their parents - and that means a number of Asians there are not really well placed at all - it makes sense. But one can do very well at the base schools, too.

The problem is not the number of Asians at TJ. The problem is what parents - and particularly Asian parents do to get there. Parents should not push their kids into TJ. It is akin to pushing a kid with Division III athletic talent to top level Division I so they can say they did it - it doesn't make for success. Tell that to many Asian parents and they will not get it. But those of us who have sent successful and happy students to TJ know the score.

Date: January 19, 2016 09:46PM

I'm Asian and I wanted to kind of stray away from what you mentioned in the first half of your post because I don't need the people on Fairfax Underground to start a whole race war on this thread. What you say is only true for some of the students there. Most of the student body find that if you need your parents to coerce you into attending, you will fail miserably at TJ. TJ requires you to be self-motivated. Furthermore, TJ is much like Davidson Academy (elitist school with no grade placements meaning 12 year olds attend class with 18 year olds and you need a 97th percentile or higher IQ to attend, 145 I believe), it is a Governor's School and the best school in the US for a reason. We can't just open our door to certain individuals just like Harvard, MIT and Yale can't.

I predict after this people will start being racist... ah the society we live in and consider to be respectable...

Posted by: asian nigga ()
Date: January 19, 2016 09:48PM

first with your half ass nest coatery shit and now with this asian and white supremacist views what the fuck you tryna do? you think blacks and latinos aint smart enough for you shitass suck up upper class school? you damn right ima start a race war

Posted by: yellow banana ()
Date: January 19, 2016 09:49PM

youre just some asian with a small dick who has no social life so you pretend to come on to this forum to make your self look cool and act as if youre from the hood. well news flash you aint from the hood and youll never be.

Posted by: STOP HARASSING THIS PERSON ()
Date: January 19, 2016 09:51PM

You are all blowing this out of proportion, your words has nothing to do what is being posted. This thread, as far as I can tell, was meant to educate individuals about Thomas Jefferson High School.

Posted by: hell yeah ()
Date: January 19, 2016 09:51PM

we aint blowing nothing but you can blow something of mine.

Date: January 19, 2016 09:53PM

Okay first, I'm a girl, and second... I TOTALLY PREDICTED THIS. Adults on this forum are all the same smh.

Posted by: how many prep courses? ()
Date: January 19, 2016 10:21PM

The fact that TJ is currently 70% Asian while the general population is only 25% Asian reveals there is in fact some racial component to the school enrollment. Data does not suggest that Asian intellect varies that much if at all from standard intelligence so one can assume a cultural element to enrollment rather than some genetic, racial variant.

Therefore, it is logical to posit the assumption that persons of a certain culture, in this case Asians, do more to prepare for and promote attendance of their children at this particular school. It is not racist to state this hypothesis.

TJ has become a school for Asians to attend by directive of their parents and by the application of measured efforts both in school and in test preparation. There is nothing wrong with this in general but it was not the pure intent of the school. Motivated and gifted students yes, coached and test rehearsed students no. Many students are now turned off applying because they know its gamed - they know more than half the students there rehearsed the admission test for years just like they took training for the 2nd grade AAP evaluations.

I take nothing away from the students attending TJ as they are all very smart and no doubt have worked hard to get there. But that wasnt the idea. The idea was to get smart kids that dont need test prep at age 7 - 13.

As to the notion of Asian kids being turned down because of race Id love to see your sources on that information - sounds like 100% baloney to me.

BTW how many prep courses did the OP take to get in?

Posted by: Stats? ()
Date: January 20, 2016 12:00AM

It would be interesting to know the drop out rate at TJ by race and ethnicity. I realize that some kids get in as a result of extensive tutoring and practice - and maybe affirmative action - but I would imagine that kids who can't cut it either wind up being advised to switch schools or realize that they need to do so themselves (either way, very sad).

Posted by: hell yeah ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:14AM

Angel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay first, I'm a girl, and second... I TOTALLY
> PREDICTED THIS. Adults on this forum are all the
> same smh.

Angel, are you free this afternoon. If not, how much do you charge?

Posted by: how many test prep courses ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:52AM

So if we are being honest here how many test prep courses did the OP take? How many years of tutoring? Did you attend prep for the AAP battery when you were 7 years old? Be honest please. There is nothing 'wrong' with this at all but it would explain something as to the state of affairs.

My kid is a semifinalist and never taken one course or prep class. Never been tutored. Nothing. We didnt even know about AAP when we got the letter about his scoring 99% on the AAP test in 2nd grade. We were shocked when the counselor said we had to 'apply' for Level IV even though he was high in the top 1% of test scores. She told us hordes of parents applied pressure for borderline kids in even the high 80% category to receive AAP IV services so we had to 'apply.'

Saddest thing is the only friend of my kids to talk about suicide at age 12 is Asian because she is worried about TJ. Tell me its not about Asian culture/race.

Posted by: strunk ()
Date: January 20, 2016 08:10AM

how many test prep courses Wrote:
>
> Saddest thing is the only friend of my kids to
> talk about suicide at age 12 is Asian because she
> is worried about TJ. Tell me its not about Asian
> culture/race.

The student "is Asian because she is worried about TJ"? Don't blame this on TJ. She is Asian because her parents are Asian.

Posted by: jCW7L ()
Date: January 20, 2016 08:29AM

^ so clever

Posted by: Red Flags ()
Date: January 20, 2016 09:20AM

"Angel" may be the next Seung-Hui Cho. His writings raise red flags everywhere.

He is crying for help before he does something extreme.

I hope there is someone who recognizes the threat and takes action.

Posted by: Red Flags ()
Date: January 20, 2016 09:22AM

PS: "Angel" is not female, at least was not born that way.

Posted by: Topkeek ()
Date: January 20, 2016 10:01AM

Lol the adults/kids on this forum are mentally ill. OP is the only sane one in this thread. Carry on.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 20, 2016 01:47PM

Angel Wrote:
> You do realize the top minds in the world attend TJ?

Be honest. Fairfax County could wipe out the entire current student body of TJ and replace it with kids from other county schools without seeing a significant drop in the quality of students.

Posted by: TJ Alum ()
Date: January 20, 2016 03:57PM

tj myths Wrote:
> The dearth of Hispanics and Blacks is caused by
> the failure of these students to apply? Talk
> about confusing correlation with causation,
> because that is what the original poster is doing.
> So much for TJ and the application of logic.
>
> Minority students don't apply because only a
> fraction score high enough without racial
> preferences to be considered for admission, even
> in the first round. And they don't apply because
> so few can meet the minimum standards. And this
> is not surprising. Fairfax's achievement gap is
> the same as it is everywhere else in the country.
> The problem is the cognitive/IQ gap, as the book
> the Bell Curve reflected years ago. Remember, Evan
> Glazer (who I admire) instituted years ago a
> minimum GPA to stay at TJ. TJ can't easily
> practice heavy affirmative action even though
> there are many effete, progressive apparatchiks in
> the county who want TJ to do so - the failure rate
> would be too noticeable.
>
> The school averages near 1500 on the SAT for math
> and critical reading. The number of black students
> who score 750 on each part of the SAT is likely no
> more than 300-400 (if that) nationwide. Sure, a
> handful who can approach these scores live in
> Northern Virginia, and that handful likely attends
> TJ. But the number of 130 IQ black kids (and bear
> in mind to succeed at TJ you likely need far more
> octane than 130) is really, really small, with the
> distributions at the right edge of the curve being
> so tiny it is shocking. (Conversely, not talked
> about in the media, one sixth of blacks have an IQ
> of 70 or less - again not talked about publicly
> and beyond the ken of the average white or Asian
> person in terms of understanding - one reason the
> Supreme Court held that the death penalty cannot
> apply to those with an IQ under 70 is that in
> their polite, elitist world, they don't know
> anyone with an IQ below 70 who is not disabled -
> such as with a Downs syndrome person. Think
> instead of illiterate Rachel Jeantel, the witness
> in the Zimmerman case, and well, that is a common
> occurrence in that population, and something upper
> middle class people rarely experience). The IQ
> problem is not discussed in education circles,
> because, well, doing so publicly can get you
> fired. But IQ is the elephant in the room. And it
> is distressing that after spending trillions on
> social programs after the civil rights era the
> inter-generational IQ gap remains high and has
> grown in recent years.
>
> TJ isn't all it is cracked up to be. For the
> right student - particularly a very bright student
> not hectored or tested up by their parents - and
> that means a number of Asians there are not really
> well placed at all - it makes sense. But one can
> do very well at the base schools, too.
>
> The problem is not the number of Asians at TJ.
> The problem is what parents - and particularly
> Asian parents do to get there. Parents should not
> push their kids into TJ. It is akin to pushing a
> kid with Division III athletic talent to top level
> Division I so they can say they did it - it
> doesn't make for success. Tell that to many Asian
> parents and they will not get it. But those of us
> who have sent successful and happy students to TJ
> know the score.

This is absolutely correct. I score 138 to 142 IQ my entire life, since the third grade. I estimate I was in the top 35th percentile performance wise at TJ. My ex probably has an IQ of 150 to 160, and she was in the top 2% academically at TJ.

Our kids are basically morons (it's mean regression), I'm hoping to spend $200,000 so that my daughter can get into Medira and to at least have a chance at our backup school, UVa.

Posted by: refreshingly honest. ()
Date: January 20, 2016 04:56PM

TJ Alum Wrote:
> tj myths Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The dearth of Hispanics and Blacks is caused by
> > the failure of these students to apply? Talk
> > about confusing correlation with causation,
> > because that is what the original poster is
> doing.
> > So much for TJ and the application of logic.
> >
> > Minority students don't apply because only a
> > fraction score high enough without racial
> > preferences to be considered for admission,
> even
> > in the first round. And they don't apply
> because
> > so few can meet the minimum standards. And
> this
> > is not surprising. Fairfax's achievement gap
> is
> > the same as it is everywhere else in the
> country.
> > The problem is the cognitive/IQ gap, as the
> book
> > the Bell Curve reflected years ago. Remember,
> Evan
> > Glazer (who I admire) instituted years ago a
> > minimum GPA to stay at TJ. TJ can't easily
> > practice heavy affirmative action even though
> > there are many effete, progressive apparatchiks
> in
> > the county who want TJ to do so - the failure
> rate
> > would be too noticeable.
> >
> > The school averages near 1500 on the SAT for
> math
> > and critical reading. The number of black
> students
> > who score 750 on each part of the SAT is likely
> no
> > more than 300-400 (if that) nationwide. Sure,
> a
> > handful who can approach these scores live in
> > Northern Virginia, and that handful likely
> attends
> > TJ. But the number of 130 IQ black kids (and
> bear
> > in mind to succeed at TJ you likely need far
> more
> > octane than 130) is really, really small, with
> the
> > distributions at the right edge of the curve
> being
> > so tiny it is shocking. (Conversely, not talked
> > about in the media, one sixth of blacks have an
> IQ
> > of 70 or less - again not talked about publicly
> > and beyond the ken of the average white or
> Asian
> > person in terms of understanding - one reason
> the
> > Supreme Court held that the death penalty
> cannot
> > apply to those with an IQ under 70 is that in
> > their polite, elitist world, they don't know
> > anyone with an IQ below 70 who is not disabled
> -
> > such as with a Downs syndrome person. Think
> > instead of illiterate Rachel Jeantel, the
> witness
> > in the Zimmerman case, and well, that is a
> common
> > occurrence in that population, and something
> upper
> > middle class people rarely experience). The
> IQ
> > problem is not discussed in education circles,
> > because, well, doing so publicly can get you
> > fired. But IQ is the elephant in the room. And
> it
> > is distressing that after spending trillions on
> > social programs after the civil rights era the
> > inter-generational IQ gap remains high and has
> > grown in recent years.
> >
> > TJ isn't all it is cracked up to be. For the
> > right student - particularly a very bright
> student
> > not hectored or tested up by their parents -
> and
> > that means a number of Asians there are not
> really
> > well placed at all - it makes sense. But one
> can
> > do very well at the base schools, too.
> >
> > The problem is not the number of Asians at TJ.
> > The problem is what parents - and particularly
> > Asian parents do to get there. Parents should
> not
> > push their kids into TJ. It is akin to pushing
> a
> > kid with Division III athletic talent to top
> level
> > Division I so they can say they did it - it
> > doesn't make for success. Tell that to many
> Asian
> > parents and they will not get it. But those of
> us
> > who have sent successful and happy students to
> TJ
> > know the score.
>
> This is absolutely correct. I score 138 to 142 IQ
> my entire life, since the third grade. I estimate
> I was in the top 35th percentile performance wise
> at TJ. My ex probably has an IQ of 150 to 160,
> and she was in the top 2% academically at TJ.
>
> Our kids are basically morons (it's mean
> regression), I'm hoping to spend $200,000 so that
> my daughter can get into Medira and to at least
> have a chance at our backup school, UVa.

refreshingly honest. My wife son and daughter are like you and your wife. Son will probably go to TJ and he has never done more than 3 hrs of homework per week ever in his life. His work has been magically done on the bus most years of his life. For me school was climbing mountains for him its a walk in the park.

I can only imagine the stress of someone with an average IQ entering TJ. Possible, sure. Healthy for a young person - I doubt it. We have amazing schools like Woodson where the normal people can practically finish Freshman year of College by graduation. Why kill them in TJ?

Date: January 20, 2016 05:04PM

I will now answer questions about me in this thread.

Actually, I have never taken prep courses for TJ, I am being completely honest here. I actually wanted to go to Oakton or Langley first. I will say that I have taken prep classes for the SAT and ACT in middle school.

It is true that there are suicides and dropouts because of the high competivity, and I think it is ridiculous to watch kids who are not suited for TJ cram for the tests and end up not being able to keep up with other students. YOU SHOULD NOT APPLY TO TJ IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GENUINE INTEREST IN STEM. Most TJ students, contrary to popular belief HAVE SOCIAL LIFES (OMG #YOLOSWAGORSOMEOTHERDUMBTHING). If you are a true TJ student, the workload is no problem, I spend around an hour maximum on homework, extra if there are projects.

I am very immersed in Asian culture, I know Japanese, Korean and Chinese (as well as English and Spanish but that isn't relevant to answering this question). I plan to go into corporate law, representing international STEM companies and start-ups. My family is very pressuring and yes domestic abuse is prevalent, but most of us come to learn that the pressuring was for the best and the majority of us are now self motivated. We actually want to help progress the world.

When I said that most TJ students are elite, I did not mean it in they way it has been interpreted. I know some students at Chantilly and Centerville who are smarter than me by far. It is just that we must remember that TJ is a SPECIALIZED SCHOOL FOR STEM (our humanities and journalism sector is super amazing too though :)). Other schools like Westfield are appealing to smart kids who have a passion for music or sports.

Also thanks for the support folks!
Feel free to discuss further!
Trolls are still welcome :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2016 05:04PM by Angel.

Posted by: ANGEL REVEALED ()
Date: January 20, 2016 05:15PM

I go to TJ too, I think I'm in your AP Macroeconomics class. So you're an asian girl who goes to TJ and on the NEST council or are you VP of the east coast "faction"? You NEST kids are like the rich version of the NHS and SCA right?

Date: January 20, 2016 05:18PM

I don't know you and NEST isn't the group of rich kids, we have powerful alumni that's all. Also what makes you think I'm part of NEST?

Posted by: () () () ()
Date: January 20, 2016 05:20PM

Well you did post the rules for the coterie (I thought it was called NEST Cell not NEST Coterie). I'll just talk to you tomorrow, actually I'll just dm you, which twitter account is your active one?

Posted by: qwertyui ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:05PM

Just wanted to add I've met some really smart Africans (150+ IQ) working for a top European hedge fund. As smart as any person I've ever met at TJ. Never in America though, but they do exist in Europe. My personal theory is that American slavery was essentially a form of reverse eugenics & reverse social Darwinism. Think about it, the Africans didn't/wouldn't sell the white man their best and smartest to be captured & enslaved. The slaves were probably the dumbest people in Africa. We can keep pouring Trillions into the war on poverty, but it's not going to be fixable for many more generations (try another 200 to 300 years).

Date: January 20, 2016 07:05PM

Um the one with 21.4k followers. I abandoned my 10k followers one last year.

Posted by: alum ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:13PM

NEST coterie and NOST camarilla are not mandatory. I never participated in either group at TJHSST. One NOST faction at a private school in Washington DC that is breaking a few rules.

Date: January 20, 2016 07:18PM

alum Wrote:
> NEST coterie and NOST camarilla are not mandatory.
> I never participated in either group at TJHSST.
> One NOST faction at a private school in Washington
> DC that is breaking a few rules.

Just so you guys know this guy is a troll, NOST doesn't exist and N.E.S.T. isn't even the legitimate name, its just slang... also its not for TJ students exclusively. Actually

Also regarding qwertyui's post

I never said African Americans weren't smart. My lab partner is so much better then me in chemistry, I hate organic chemistry lol.

Posted by: attn angel ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:19PM

Need weed. Meet me after 2nd period in the blue place that Frank makes wet.

Date: January 20, 2016 07:24PM

Great now everyone is going to pretend they know me irl *lesigh*.

1.) Which Frank
2.) Wet as in the chemistry/biology lab or wet as in water
3.) I go out after second period because it is lunch and if you really went to TJ you would know we can eat anywhere on campus.

I don't do drugs, unfortunately I have morals. I'm not telling you to stop wasting your life getting high, I'm just telling you you have a choice to not smoke weed. Honestly idgaf if you keep rotting your brain out.

I already receive enough brain damage reading the posts these trolls publish.

Posted by: Aaron B. ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:42PM

Asians are super smart, but not innovative or free thinking. They follow the collective. They have great analytical minds, but don't take risks or start any companies.

They are good at learning and studying, but not creating or inventing. China can copy our stealth fighter, but fill it with cheap components, which makes just a cheap knock off.

Youtube "Chinese crash test". Their cars "look" like ours, but disintegrate on contact.

That's why they make good Communists.

Date: January 20, 2016 07:46PM

Okay be as racist as you want, the hottest start up innovative entrpreneur groups are in China. Also what about Alibaba/Taobao and QQ and RenRen and MiPhone? So many brilliant Chinese star up companies! Do I have to remind you that China did in 50 years what took the Western world a thousand years to complete? China was still ruled by a LEGITIMATE KING not like the British Queen figurehead in the early 1900s. China is a resilient and innovative country, they invented so many things. (Sorry I just did a 20 page research paper on this lol)

Posted by: Chosen People ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:49PM

Israelis are the smartest Asians of all.

Posted by: Asian ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:51PM

Angel Wrote:
> Okay be as racist as you want, the hottest start
> up innovative entrpreneur groups are in China.
> Also what about Alibaba/Taobao and QQ and RenRen
> and MiPhone? So many brilliant Chinese star up
> companies! Do I have to remind you that China did
> in 50 years what took the Western world a thousand
> years to complete? China was still ruled by a
> LEGITIMATE KING not like the British Queen
> figurehead in the early 1900s. China is a
> resilient and innovative country, they invented so
> many things. (Sorry I just did a 20 page research
> paper on this lol)

China stole most of its technology. Chinese people are the trash of Asia.

Posted by: retort ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:52PM

Angel Wrote:
Sorry I just did a 20 page research paper on this lol

Don't be sorry, those are good points. I will say those companies you listed are just clones of American companies that have been doing business for years.

I will give the Chinese credit on gunpowder, though. Brilliant.

Date: January 20, 2016 07:52PM

I'm not even going to bother, there are pros and cons to every country. I love Korean makeup though, but I do prefer European mascara and eyeliner but Korean skincare and lip color is exceptional.

Posted by: Japan ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:55PM

I think the Japanese are really moving forward on the sex robot frontier.

They like robot sex for some reason. Not real sex, just robot sex.

They have a serious low birth rate problem.

Posted by: Korea fan ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:58PM

South korea has accomplished a lot since the end of the Korean war. They are one of the top industrialized nations in the world. America really invested heavilly in making that succeed. I wonder what Korea would be like if we let the north take over.

Date: January 20, 2016 08:02PM

Speaking of the Japanese, that Deadman Wonderland guy who keeps shipping me and Angle is most likely a weeb :P Also TJ just had a foreign exchange program with the Japanese.

Yeah South Korea is inspiring. So is China.

Now please don't start a race war again, move it to another thread. This thread is about Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology.

Posted by: ISRAEL ()
Date: January 20, 2016 08:03PM

I agree Israel is superior. It is a tiny country with a small population and surrounded by enemies but it has many world-leading companies.

Date: January 20, 2016 08:05PM

OMG WILLIAM IS THAT YOU??? What are you doing on Fairfax Underground? Don't you have swim practice right about now?

Posted by: Javelin Pyth ()
Date: January 20, 2016 08:08PM

Angel Wrote:
> Okay be as racist as you want, the hottest start
> up innovative entrpreneur groups are in China.
> Also what about Alibaba/Taobao and QQ and RenRen
> and MiPhone? So many brilliant Chinese star up
> companies! Do I have to remind you that China did
> years to complete? China was still ruled by a
> LEGITIMATE KING not like the British Queen
> figurehead in the early 1900s. China is a
> resilient and innovative country, they invented so
> many things. (Sorry I just did a 20 page research
> paper on this lol)

You need to do more research. China is essentially a state-sponsored criminal enterprise. The Chinese government has directed or supported the theft of intellectual property from every sector of the economies of other countries.

Date: January 20, 2016 08:11PM

Thank you for your biased politically views. I agree nor disagree with your opinions. I am merely stating facts about China's creative innovation and self-motivated development.

Posted by: YOU DON'T GO TO TJ ()
Date: January 20, 2016 08:41PM

LOOK AT THIS SENTENCE:

"If minorities decided to apply in greater numbers than the number of Hispanics and Blacks accepted would rise respectively."

IF YOU REALLY WENT TO TJ, THEN YOU WOULD KNOW THAT "than" SHOULD BE SPELT "then".

ALSO, THERE SHOULD BE A COMMA BEFORE "then".

Date: January 20, 2016 08:47PM

Please, TJ isn't a host of socially awkward teens who find joy in being grammar nazis. I don't proofread form posts for errors... its a forum. Also not all TJ students are high achievers in English and Social Studies, one of my friends actually got an 82 on a quiz last week, but she has a 97 in AP World History so I'm sure its fine.

Date: January 20, 2016 08:55PM

Angel Wrote:
> Do I have to remind you that China did
> years to complete?

Remember though that the same is true of the United States in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and of Japan from 1850 to 1930.

Posted by: Bill Nye eats Cherry Pie ()
Date: January 20, 2016 09:01PM

Not true for the United States, they were not ruled by a monarchy when they became established. They had hundred of years. China was still similar to 1000 AD in the early 1900s while the Western world still took a lot of time.

Posted by: Bill Nye the Butterfly ()
Date: January 20, 2016 09:02PM

Bill Nye eats Cherry Pie Wrote:
> Not true for the United States, they were not
> ruled by a monarchy when they became established.
> They had hundred of years. China was still similar
> to 1000 AD in the early 1900s while the Western
> world still took a lot of time.

Damn that skill.

Posted by: fbi.. ()
Date: January 20, 2016 10:33PM

Angel Wrote:
> Thank you for your biased politically views. I
> agree nor disagree with your opinions. I am merely
> stating facts about China's creative innovation
> and self-motivated development.

Biased? It's called first hand experience. I personally watched it happen nearly non-stop for the past 20 years. Do some reading. There is plenty of information, in the public domain.

Posted by: True Facts ()
Date: January 20, 2016 11:10PM

Out of several hundred blacks I've knoen, at least a couple were intelligent, so all you racists should rethink your bigotry!

Date: January 21, 2016 12:01PM

Bill Nye eats Cherry Pie Wrote:
> Not true for the United States, they were not
> ruled by a monarchy when they became established.
> They had hundred of years. China was still similar
> to 1000 AD in the early 1900s while the Western
> world still took a lot of time.

There was a monarchy in the U.S. UNTIL it was established, and if you are looking to nit-pick there is still one in Japan today. These are distinctions without differences though when talking about the explosive economic developments of the three countries.

When the U.S. was founded it had a population less than the kingdom of Naples and an economy that was far behind most of northern and western Europe. In the colonial era we provided foodstuff to the West Indies sugar islands and tobacco, ship building supplies and certain agricultural products to Europe. By 1860 it was no longer unreasonable to compare the U.S. economy with that of Britain, France and Prussia, and the U.S. was quite often the technical innovator.

Likewise Japan emerges from feudal isolation in the 1850s and becomes far enough advanced to successfully challenge both China and Russia 50 years later.

As for how far China came, before WW1 they already had over 5,000 miles of railroads.

Posted by: BILL NYEEEEE ()
Date: January 21, 2016 12:59PM

This is getting boring....

Posted by: Djdjkfkgk ()
Date: January 21, 2016 02:07PM

True Facts Wrote:
> Out of several hundred blacks I've knoen, at least
> a couple were intelligent, so all you racists
> should rethink your bigotry!

There are several levels of high intelligence. Nobel Prize in Theoretical Physics intelligent (160 to 170+ IQ), well that doesn't exist. Never has and never will. The first black Nobel Prize winner in Physics will have more white or Asian in him/her than Obama. Dude will be like 1/8th black and even that hasn't happened yet.

Posted by: falls church hs ()
Date: January 21, 2016 04:15PM

but do TJ kids party hard tho?

Date: January 21, 2016 05:04PM

Yeah, I guess.. its kinda like Harvard, as long as it isn't before mid terms, finals or ap course tests... It depends what circle you're in and your parents. If you really belong at TJ we party hard. Honestly its no different from any other high school if you really belong at TJ. If you're one of those try hards then you have to study all the time to get an A.

Posted by: wallowing in the mud ()
Date: January 21, 2016 05:42PM

TJ looks like a war zone at the moment - must suck being in those trailers. When is construction to be finished? i dont want my kid in a trailer. Ill send him to Woodson before wallowing in the mud with the Asians. Also do the Asian families allow whites to come over to their homes? Ive noticed in my neighborhood Asian families only socialize with other Asians.

Posted by: alex ferguson ()
Date: January 21, 2016 06:39PM

wallowing in the mud Wrote:
> TJ looks like a war zone at the moment - must suck
> being in those trailers. When is construction to
> be finished? i dont want my kid in a trailer.
> Ill send him to Woodson before wallowing in the
> mud with the Asians. Also do the Asian families
> allow whites to come over to their homes? Ive
> noticed in my neighborhood Asian families only
> socialize with other Asians.

Look on the bright side. If you send your daughter to TJ, she can play soccer for Luis Gendive. On second thought, stay at Woodson.

Date: January 21, 2016 07:11PM

The construction at TJ should be finished by the end of this year, just in time for the new freshmen. Some construction is already completed, its going to look so cool!!! *squeal*

Also, Asians do hang out with whites (I mean unless you live near Centerville High School, all Koreans... but thats another story).

Its people like you with your racism who hinder the progression of society. I have no problem with whites, blacks, oranges, browns, purples, blues, greens, and a multitude of others coming to my house.

My lab partner that I mentioned before (who is African American) comes over to my house a couple times a month. I hang out with white people too. Its the adults who are racist. We just joke around sometimes but we don't care about what race our friends are.

Posted by: Student ()
Date: January 21, 2016 08:39PM

What are the political ideologies at TJ? Is it equally balanced, or does it lean to the right of the left? If it does lean, what percentage would you think are liberal/conservative? I'm actually very curious to know.

Posted by: Devil ()
Date: January 21, 2016 08:42PM

Why is it that you call blacks African American, yet you call whites white? Since when was black an offensive term?

Posted by: Tell me I am wrong. ()
Date: January 22, 2016 09:15AM

Angel Wrote:
> The construction at TJ should be finished by the
> end of this year, just in time for the new
> freshmen. Some construction is already completed,
> its going to look so cool!!! *squeal*
>
> Also, Asians do hang out with whites (I mean
> unless you live near Centerville High School, all
> Koreans... but thats another story).
>
> Its people like you with your racism who hinder
> the progression of society. I have no problem with
> whites, blacks, oranges, browns, purples, blues,
> greens, and a multitude of others coming to my
> house.
>
> My lab partner that I mentioned before (who is
> African American) comes over to my house a couple
> times a month. I hang out with white people too.
> Its the adults who are racist. We just joke around
> sometimes but we don't care about what race our
> friends are.

I have become racist and I am surprised at myself to be honest. I dont think Asians are bad people just rude people. They are NOT friendly to those of us born here. They come in and dont mix at all. They never participate in helping at the schools. They prefer to socialize based soley on race. If possible they only buy goods and services from other Asians. Tell me these things are False, please. Tell me I am wrong. Tell me your parents were on the PTA every year serving on the board, volunteering at all the events. Tell me when you need a plumber or HVAC guy your family uses the local non-asian service provider.

You cannot because they do not. The gaming of TJ is probably what pisses me off the most. Asians have pushed their kids to fill up a school intended for kids with high IQs not for kids that study 40hrs a week. There is no data that suggests Asians are 3x smarter than everyone else because they are not. If there is a variant its a fraction of a standard deviation not 300%.

Finally the real reason I have become racist is that Asians are VERY racist. Cultures where outsiders are never taken in move here and have created an exclusive culture as a minority shunning those of us here to an extreme.

Posted by: You're wrong ()
Date: January 22, 2016 11:14AM

Tell me I am wrong. Wrote:
> Angel Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The construction at TJ should be finished by
> the
> > end of this year, just in time for the new
> > freshmen. Some construction is already
> completed,
> > its going to look so cool!!! *squeal*
> >
> > Also, Asians do hang out with whites (I mean
> > unless you live near Centerville High School,
> all
> > Koreans... but thats another story).
> >
> > Its people like you with your racism who hinder
> > the progression of society. I have no problem
> with
> > whites, blacks, oranges, browns, purples,
> blues,
> > greens, and a multitude of others coming to my
> > house.
> >
> > My lab partner that I mentioned before (who is
> > African American) comes over to my house a
> couple
> > times a month. I hang out with white people
> too.
> > Its the adults who are racist. We just joke
> around
> > sometimes but we don't care about what race our
> > friends are.
>
> I have become racist and I am surprised at myself
> to be honest. I dont think Asians are bad people
> just rude people. They are NOT friendly to those
> of us born here. They come in and dont mix at
> all. They never participate in helping at the
> schools. They prefer to socialize based soley on
> race. If possible they only buy goods and
> services from other Asians. Tell me these things
> are False, please. Tell me I am wrong. Tell me
> your parents were on the PTA every year serving on
> the board, volunteering at all the events. Tell
> me when you need a plumber or HVAC guy your family
> uses the local non-asian service provider.
>
> You cannot because they do not. The gaming of TJ
> is probably what pisses me off the most. Asians
> have pushed their kids to fill up a school
> intended for kids with high IQs not for kids that
> study 40hrs a week. There is no data that
> suggests Asians are 3x smarter than everyone else
> because they are not. If there is a variant its a
> fraction of a standard deviation not 300%.
>
> Finally the real reason I have become racist is
> that Asians are VERY racist. Cultures where
> outsiders are never taken in move here and have
> created an exclusive culture as a minority
> shunning those of us here to an extreme.

You're wrong. Actually, you're right on everything except that you think you're racist for observing facts. Maybe it isn't right to say ALL Asians don't mix, but you are right that the MAJORITY of Asians don't. That's not racist, that's just the truth.

Date: January 22, 2016 12:12PM

Angel Wrote:
> The construction at TJ should be finished by the
> end of this year, just in time for the new
> freshmen. Some construction is already completed,
> its going to look so cool!!! *squeal*

Have they stopped with the takeover of Weyenoke Elementary's fields? I understand the politics behind renovating Fairfax's flagship high school before someplace like Falls Church which was much more in need of it. However the person who thought it was OK to take over facilities of an elementary school that is unlikely to put any kids into TJ should be shot.

Posted by: Asian is not a race ()
Date: January 22, 2016 01:32PM

Why do you keep referring to "Asians" when you mean Orientals? Turks, Iranians, Iraqis, Indians, even Israelis are all Asians.

Posted by: Stop your PC agenda ()
Date: January 22, 2016 02:43PM

Asian is not a race Wrote:
> Why do you keep referring to "Asians" when you
> mean Orientals? Turks, Iranians, Iraqis, Indians,
> even Israelis are all Asians.

Wow, look at this smart know-it-all from TJ. He/she/it knows that you must be politically correct, or else you have committed the worst of thoughtcrime. Watch out for the thought police!

I don't think I have offended any "Orientals", Turks, Iranians, Iraqis, Indians, or Israelis by referring to Asians. Why is it that you have to cause a fight where there is none? Unless you're incredibly stupid, you knew who I was referring to when I said Asians.

Stop this PC crap

Posted by: Squilliam ()
Date: January 22, 2016 08:24PM

Lol, that person's not remotely PC. PC people would know that Oriental is actually considered racist by Asians, but mmkay.

Date: January 25, 2016 06:57PM

Okay I don't refer to African Americans as black because a person on here yelled at me for being racist when I did last weeks.

when I mean Asians I am including Indians too so the term "Orientals" is not correct.

TJ likes to reflect bi partisan views but veer more to the left.

The asian culture is extremely competitive. Some are rude, but the same can be said for many other races.

Posted by: .... ()
Date: January 25, 2016 06:58PM

No one gives a shit where anyone went to HS.

No one.

Date: January 25, 2016 07:01PM

I honestly don't care at this point. I'm just watching a race war right now.

Posted by: 'race wars' ()
Date: January 25, 2016 08:17PM

Angel Wrote:
> I honestly don't care at this point. I'm just
> watching a race war right now.

race war? huh? The fact you conflate discussion here as 'race wars' is itself quite telling. Telling because you really have no retort to many of the observations here.

You (Angel) volunteer that there is 'domestic abuse' in getting children to perform academically within the Asian community. This confirms the perversion that has become the application process to TJ. And it has indeed become a perversion as fashioned by our Asian friends in Fairfax.

Its the same crap we encountered in second grade AAP tests - those in the top 1/2% have to jump through absurd hoops to get in because every Nguyen, Kim, Lee and Park are forcing their average kids through the application process.

Yes my kid will get in and yes he will breeze through TJ - he has always been in the top 0.25% of national testing and his grades in the most advanced classes follow suit. What sucks is a lot of very smart kids will not get in because parents of average kids push their kids through. The end result will be a lot of burned-out Asian kids that go into Pharmacy and a bunch of really smart kids that miss an opportunity.

Posted by: ThreadConsistsOfHilarity ()
Date: January 26, 2016 01:50AM

I love when TJ kids talk about how great they are because they got into one of the most prestigious high schools in the country. However, even then I can run them in circles when it comes to any sort of conversation about non stem topics. Remember guys, there are ~18 different kinds of IQ, and that school represents a small portion of them. As for whoever was talking about their governor school that only takes the top 1 percentile of IQs is going to have a rude awakening when the world catches up with you. In this day and age money and connections are more important than whatever false sense of intelligence you got when your parents purchased a several hundred dollar test that have you an arbitrary number. I imagine the person on the receiving end of that check is just a bit smarter than you.

Posted by: TJAlum ()
Date: January 26, 2016 09:18AM

Your post reeks of insecurity.

Posted by: Love arbitrary numbers ()
Date: January 26, 2016 09:41AM

Half of these posts reek of pretentious attitude, the point is don't pretend you're the hottest shit on the block because of your school. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'm smarter than kids from TJ, if I were, I would be going there. That being said I am most definitely able to do some things better than they are. It goes both ways and to think otherwise is ridiculous.

Posted by: tj myths ()
Date: January 26, 2016 11:01AM

Angel - you immaturity is showing. You begin this post by averring that Blacks/Hispanics are not applying to TJ because they don't "try", in essence questioning their character, and then you complain about a race war? The problem isn't character, but the distribution of cognitive ability. Merely making an observation over IQ distribution (an observation which reflects sound. accepted and mainstream psychological testing science) is somehow tantamount to starting a race war? Is this what passes for critical thinking at TJ?

Note that your "if they would just try" meme has led to lousy education policy, leading us to spend billions on a kill and drill NCLB testing regime which provides little non-transitory benefit for kids in the 70-90 IQ range (the focus should be on basic literacy and computational development, along with fostering life management skills).

And there is some basis for the Asian stereotype. You would be well advised to pay attention to the comments and establish your own sense of self.

Posted by: load ()
Date: January 26, 2016 11:24AM

Here's a myth: people give a shit.

Posted by: TJAlum ()
Date: January 26, 2016 01:00PM

Love arbitrary numbers Wrote:
> Half of these posts reek of pretentious attitude,
> the point is don't pretend you're the hottest shit
> on the block because of your school. I'm not going
> to sit here and pretend I'm smarter than kids from
> TJ, if I were, I would be going there. That being
> said I am most definitely able to do some things
> better than they are. It goes both ways and to
> think otherwise is ridiculous.

Agreed that testing well will only get you so far in life. Need much more than that to be successful. Sweeping generalizations about TJ students, or any other set of students for that matter, is silly and pointless.

Posted by: MX94E ()
Date: January 26, 2016 06:08PM

What % of the semifinalists are accepted?

Posted by: Angel's fuck buddy ()
Date: January 26, 2016 06:11PM

One out of six, equivalent to the acceptance rates of Berkley or John Hopkins.

Posted by: dcWPN ()
Date: January 26, 2016 06:16PM

Angel's fuck buddy Wrote:
> One out of six, equivalent to the acceptance rates
> of Berkley or John Hopkins.

You are giving me the general acceptance rates before the tests weed out low scorers. I dont think Angel would associate with someone of your abilities.

Posted by: Angel suck my ()
Date: January 26, 2016 06:25PM

If your so smart then how come you dont know the answer. For your informatin I've slept with angel a numerous amount of time.

Date: January 26, 2016 06:36PM

I'm only going to reply to factual questions at this point. I obviously do not have the intelligence levels to debate with many on this forum.

Anyway approximately 3,000 get apply each year (2,800 if we're getting nit picky), the first round normally halves the number of applicants resulting in approximately 1500 semi finalists each year. TJ accepts around 480 every year but usually more. So the acceptance rate out of semi-finalists would be 32% or one out of every three students.

Yes I know the numbers aren't 100% right but I'm not cutting a person into eight pieces. Deal with the rough estimates on the numberings.

Posted by: wasteoftaxpayer$$$$ ()
Date: January 26, 2016 07:18PM

It is my opinion that TJ should be eliminated as a cost-saving measure.

There is nothing that happens at TJ that does not happen or could not happen at the regular local high school. All TJ does is contribute to the growing problem of social polarization between the economic and intellectual elites of the US from the middle and lower classes.

If people want to send their kids to a magnet school they should send them to a private school. TJ serves no useful purpose anymore - the TJ kids should be contributing to their local schools instead of isolating themselves at a specialty school where probably 2/3 don't even really belong.

Posted by: Thank you. ()
Date: January 26, 2016 07:32PM

Angel Wrote:
> I'm only going to reply to factual questions at
> this point. I obviously do not have the
> intelligence levels to debate with many on this
> forum.
>
> Anyway approximately 3,000 get apply each year
> (2,800 if we're getting nit picky), the first
> round normally halves the number of applicants
> resulting in approximately 1500 semi finalists
> each year. TJ accepts around 480 every year but
> usually more. So the acceptance rate out of
> semi-finalists would be 32% or one out of every
> three students.
>
> Yes I know the numbers aren't 100% right but I'm
> not cutting a person into eight pieces. Deal with
> the rough estimates on the numberings.

Thank you. Seems like a high value to place on the short essay portion of the process. Passion for STEM i guess. They are not very forthcoming about the criteria after the math test and GPA. Very mysterious.

Date: January 26, 2016 07:56PM

TJ is very passionate about STEM but also for the humanities and arts. I am planning on going into corporate law for international businesses.

TJ in the essay portion looks for good work ethic and passion, and teacher recommendations play a huge role. The SIS portion focuses on past STEM experience but the Essay portion focuses on critical thinking, requiring a persuasive rather than an expository essay most of the time.

There are 4 total sis/essays and they give you two hours.

***Attention***

Please phrase your questions in more detail because it is hard to guess at what information you are trying to acquire. Thank You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 07:57PM by Angel.

Posted by: to angel ()
Date: January 26, 2016 09:18PM

will you use your sexy korean mouth to lick my throbbing dick friday seventy feet to the east from the tree with pink ribbons in alexandria at 8:14 pm?

Date: January 26, 2016 09:22PM

Get off my laptop Vince, I'm starting to think all these posts are from you at this point.

Posted by: Bullshit Troll ()
Date: January 26, 2016 09:31PM

Angel suck my Wrote:
> For your informatin I've slept with angel
> a numerous amount of time.

Bullshit Troll. Pix or it did not happen, Vince.

Posted by: spend 000's ()
Date: January 27, 2016 09:00AM

Angel Wrote:
> TJ is very passionate about STEM but also for the
> humanities and arts. I am planning on going into
> corporate law for international businesses.
>
> TJ in the essay portion looks for good work ethic
> and passion, and teacher recommendations play a
> huge role. The SIS portion focuses on past STEM
> experience but the Essay portion focuses on
> critical thinking, requiring a persuasive rather
> than an expository essay most of the time.
>
> There are 4 total sis/essays and they give you two
> hours.
>
> ***Attention***
>
> Please phrase your questions in more detail
> because it is hard to guess at what information
> you are trying to acquire. Thank You.

Again, thanks for the info. As I said, the process is mysterious to those following the non-prep course. TJ is intentionally obtuse in what it is looking for other than passion for STEM. Im sure this is all laid out clearly if you are willing to spend 000's to prep organizations that have vetted this out over the years (or if you have been through the entire process). We didnt go the $$$ prep test route.

Tip: dont read or reply to the vulgar posts.

Date: January 27, 2016 05:07PM

Actually you can find all this information on the TJHSST website. The mission statement is also there. I didn't take a prep class but I found all the information, you just have to dig REALLY DEEP. I spent a lot of time on the website because there were only 7 people on my bus in the morning so I practically have memorized the site. Spelling counts a lot for the test too.

Vince is just a person I know irl.

Posted by: TDYYF ()
Date: January 27, 2016 05:44PM

Honestly the site is pretty bad in terms of layout and ease of use - ironic I suppose.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.