HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Annandale Back in the Day
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: August 02, 2016 04:01PM

Behind the JIB was the theater, the small shopping center w/ Duck Chang's and Juvenile Toys...I cannot recall a Mexican place when Jack in the Box was still around...could be wrong though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sigmund ()
Date: August 02, 2016 11:54PM

I remember the place but not the name. The building is still there. It currently houses a Chinese restaurant run by Koreans. If you search on Google Earth you can zoom in on it - single free standing building. I think some of the outer walls still are covered in white stucco from back when it was a Mexican place. The food wasn't so great so I rarely ate there which is why the name escapes me.

Posted by: was it called ()
Date: August 03, 2016 12:01PM

pancho villa?

Posted by: The Mexican Restaurant was... ()
Date: August 13, 2016 05:59PM

Viva. Cool place. They even had the mariachi singers who roamed from table to table playing guitar and singing.

Posted by: Mark Van Ryne ()
Date: March 24, 2017 10:32PM

Shakie's was the best restaurant in Annandale, but Tom Weston's was a close second!

Posted by: Behind JIB ()
Date: March 24, 2017 10:55PM

I took a nice woman there for dinner about 1976..I cant remember the name of the place..It was some semi cool joint round then.. If I see the name Ill know it It was not Mexican..then later it became the Peking Duck joint..Cant be Emersons..Oh well..maybe it was...

DAJAX One Of The First 200 Folk to Drink a Yard of Beer..at Fritzbies Flying Food Factory..when they opened..I liked the Chili they had..too..

Posted by: ns13 ()
Date: March 24, 2017 10:56PM

The Lotus Empire AKA The Rock and Roll Egg Roll.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: March 25, 2017 06:09PM

Stoned Sixthgrader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jack Rogers Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > HI,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me the street address of the
> old
> > Rainbow Tree in Annandale?
> >
> > When I was a very young soldier at Ft Belvoir,
> I
> > used to shop at the Tree for
> >
> > records. At that time I lived in an apt
> complex
> > on Russell Rd.
> >
> > We used to get buzzed and then walk over to a
> > little place called the Village
> >
> > Chef, where the fresh Bay seafood worked
> wonders
> > to get rid of the munchies.
>
>
> I've told the story of how two friends and I
> bought a bong at that Rainbow Tree when we were 12
> in at least one other thread. Anyways, the
> building is still there, but the exterior has had
> a major overhaul (and hopfully the interior too).
> According to Google maps the address is 7389
> Little River Turnpike.

During the Sniper drama of fall 2002, I took the 29 G bus every morning. My bus stop was the one in the photo, at 7389 Little River Turnpike, in front of the Loan place. At the time, it was a an Office Supply store run by an Asian guy.

Instead of waiting by the bus stop sign, as I normally would, I sat on the front porch of the building and then sprinted to my bus when it showed up. That was a scary time.

Whenever I froze my a$$ off waiting for the bus, I vowed I would call METRO and ask why there was no three sided structure there to cover waiting riders. There still isn't. I guess because there is a service road right behind the bus stop.

The following Annandale restaurants that catered to non-asians have closed since I moved to Annandale in 2000:

Fudruckers
The Sunset Grille
Main St.
Ribsters

Main St. had really good food. I remember watching the 2002 Daytona 500 there.

Ribsters was excellent

Fudruckers was nice.

The Sunset Grille was a total dive and looked to be frequented by bikers. They had some good bands, though and it was also a cool place to have a beer and watch NFL football.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 06:14PM by phelpsmarc.

Posted by: Jones ()
Date: March 25, 2017 06:53PM

Back in the day when Annandale was white, right and tight, I lived in those townhouses/condos across the road from the Annandale golf course. That was long ago and was wondering if humans still live there? Could someone bring me up to date.
Thanx

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: March 26, 2017 02:04AM

Jones Wrote:
> Back in the day when Annandale was white, right
> and tight, I lived in those townhouses/condos
> across the road from the Annandale golf course.
> That was long ago and was wondering if humans
> still live there? Could someone bring me up to
> date.
> Thanx

It's not full of inbreds anymore. Sorry. Your cousin moved away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 02:05AM by Joke Insurance.

Posted by: No2006weirdobs ()
Date: March 26, 2017 08:30PM

No2006weirdobs

Posted by: Dee Norris ()
Date: March 13, 2018 05:04PM

Jack in the Box was awesome!

Posted by: T.A. Constantino gone cd ()
Date: March 14, 2018 07:53AM

Annandale sucks ever since T.A. Constantino graduated and Coach Adams stopped using child labor for his lawn mowing business!

Posted by: The Dale ()
Date: June 20, 2018 09:42PM

Damn, some of you are really fucked up racists. Annandale changed but let's be honest, most of the houses are 60+ years old. More affordable housing changes an area and it will be that way until they redo it like they did Arlington. If you don't think your immigrant families did the same when they came to US whenever they did, you are kidding yourself or are a lucky rich fuck.

I grew up in Annandale with some of the first Koreans in the early 80s. My good friend ran the laundry mat at Heritage Mall, his dad was an airplane engineer or whatever it is called. He did what he had to do to get his family started and wasn't too proud to run a laundry mat vs work on airplanes like he did in South Korea. He ended up working for United as an engineer for 20+ years. They are great people and welcomed me like family. I still love kimchi, Bulgogi, etc.. because of them. My good friend went to Stanford and all of the family is hugely successful. To the racist fucks, you should try some of the great Korean food in Anndandale, you would like it.

Remember getting toys from Juvenile Drug, still have an unopened GIJoe from 86 with a Kmart sticker on it. Remember watching movies at the theatre at Heritage Mall and another one over by Juvenile or in that vicinity. I remember Victors Pizza and robbing the shit out of the 7-11 at Heritage Mall on the regular. Not my best moment but we were lower middle class kids with single parents and latch key kids.

Great times hanging at McDonalds after football games and the occasional rumble, traveling to Burke, Fairfax, and other high schools McDonalds to scare the shit out of the wannabee tough guys there (rarely did we actually have to fight but handled business when they wanted to go after running their mouths). Running around all day around American Drive, from Braddock Elementary through Patriot Village. We spent a bunch of time in the sewers and creeks, my brother fell in a manhole that didn't have a top on it when he ran by and got all banged up when he was 5 or 6. We would leave our houses by 9am and come home when it started to get dark. We skateboarded all over Annandale, skating ditches, building ramps, even started contest when a bunch of my buddies worked for Pizza Movers and helped open it.

Highs school was pretty crazy but we owned the area at the time and dated chicks from various schools, good times. We were a diverse crew in the early 90's, Afrian American, white from all different backgrounds, Korean, Filipino, Iranian, Palestinian, Bolivian, Ghanan, you name it. Wouldn't change it for the world. That's the real world, accept it or get left behind. Seems like it's already too late for many of you.

Violence definitely up-ticked in the early 90s but that wasn't unique to Annandale, that was happening across the country. DC was murder capital of the country and the crack epidemic was rampant and everyone was desensitized to violence. A goood friend got shot in high school when some gang punk from LA shot him, Annandale was front page of the post at the time. Ruined his football career but he was ok. Missed being at Annandale for the back to back state champions on those Dick Adams lead teams but had a bunch of buddies and younger brothers of my buddies get rings. Too funny about the Dick Adams forced labor comment, so true LOL. Although some of the star players got paid and didn't have to do shit.

We got all fucked up at Main St after college, was like a high school reunion every night. Great times around the holidays when everyone would come back to the area who moved away. Miss that place. I am a successful mofo now and Annandale and all the shit (good and bad) I was exposed to is a big reason. Kilroys is the closest thing left to that but not the same.

Annandale will look very different in 20 years, they will redo it like they did Arlington. It became an affordable place. Sure I don't love what it has turned into, mostly because my mom still lived there until a few years ago and it wasn't the safest place. But that shit is common when places get old and are cheaper than other areas. It was a new middle class town in the 50s and 60s and changed dramatically by the 90s and 2000s.

Calm the fuck down you ignorant fucks and go raise you white hoods and robes. If you weren't an immigrant, you were lucky because your family sacrificed and paid their dues so you didn't have to. Don't hate the people that are in the exact same position as your family was at one time. Revisionist history for sure. We close the borders and we aren't America anymore. That way of thinking is sadder than anything Annandale turned into.

Posted by: excuse me? ()
Date: June 20, 2018 10:16PM

"robbing the shit out of the 7-11 at Heritage Mall on the regular"

"traveling to Burke, Fairfax, and other high schools McDonalds to scare the shit out of the wannabee tough guys there (rarely did we actually have to fight but handled business when they wanted to go after running their mouths)"

But you have a problem with someone being racist? So your choice of crime is okay but another is not? Check.

Posted by: The Dale ()
Date: June 20, 2018 10:56PM

LOL, I was an idiot kid when I stole and fought, not a grown adult you racist. Are you seriously comparing a child's actions to an adult and using it to justify racism?

Did you miss the part about me not being proud of it. The fights were usually when racist assholes like you ran there mouth about one of my friends of another race. We never started a fight that I can recall. At least those racist assholes didn't hide behind the Internet and said shit to peoples faces even if it didn't end up well for them. I guarantee you don't say your racist shit to peoples faces and instead hide behind your keyboard. Again the fighting was not my proudest moment but that is a real memory. You are an adult and have no excuse which is the saddest part, especially growing up in a diverse area like DC even back in the day.

All memories aren't good, especially with people like you walking the earth and riding their "all white" high horse. Nice try to justify your racist BS pulling two lines out of a long post. Go put your hood back on.

Posted by: excuse me? ()
Date: June 21, 2018 12:31AM

The Dale Wrote:
> LOL, I was an idiot kid when I stole and fought,
> not a grown adult you racist. Are you seriously
> comparing a child's actions to an adult and using
> it to justify racism?
>
> Did you miss the part about me not being proud of
> it. The fights were usually when racist assholes
> like you ran there mouth about one of my friends
> of another race. We never started a fight that I
> can recall. At least those racist assholes didn't
> hide behind the Internet and said shit to peoples
> faces even if it didn't end up well for them. I
> guarantee you don't say your racist shit to
> peoples faces and instead hide behind your
> keyboard. Again the fighting was not my proudest
> moment but that is a real memory. You are an
> adult and have no excuse which is the saddest
> part, especially growing up in a diverse area like
> DC even back in the day.
>
> All memories aren't good, especially with people
> like you walking the earth and riding their "all
> white" high horse. Nice try to justify your
> racist BS pulling two lines out of a long post.
> Go put your hood back on.

So many assumptions. No, I am not a racist, far from it. But I do not have to explain that to you. You are an admitted criminal. You justify your actions because of your age. You are still guilty of the crimes you committed.

Posted by: Andy236 ()
Date: June 21, 2018 06:51PM

Andy's? Pizza. There IS a difference!
Also Caldwell's then Main Street USA. Was Shakey's.

Posted by: Tina Prudencio ()
Date: August 02, 2018 07:50PM

It was called Juvenile Toys. Does anyone remember a mexican restaurant by the toy sotre starting with Viva ???? Thanks

Posted by: Damn you're stupid ()
Date: August 02, 2018 09:09PM

The Dale Wrote:
> LOL, I was an idiot kid when I stole and fought,
> not a grown adult you racist. Are you seriously
> comparing a child's actions to an adult and using
> it to justify racism?
>

Being racist is not illegal. Crime, yeah, uh, crime is, you know, illegal.

Posted by: The Way We Were ()
Date: August 02, 2018 10:12PM

Back in the day the center of Annandale was Kerlins Cornor, Don's Barber shop and Sal's shoe repair. Annandale was as white then as driven snow with nary a nog, beaner or dog eater in sight.

Posted by: Bob der Baumeister ()
Date: August 02, 2018 10:30PM

@the Dale - good grief that sounds exactly like my time in Annandale- Patriot Village (P’ssy Heaven), skateboarding etc. Braddock ES class of 84- and you?

Posted by: Coincidence and Causation the EP ()
Date: August 03, 2018 08:50PM

Just because Annandale turned from a peaceful , problem free community into a third world shithole in the last 40 years doesn't prove that new residents caused it to happen.
It might be a coincidence.

Posted by: graft5 ()
Date: July 02, 2019 04:58PM

Remember that jew prick Mr. Cohen who owned the American car wash?

Posted by: Diversity isnt a strength... ()
Date: July 04, 2020 03:45AM

Well put, COINCIDENCE AND CAUSATION...it just happen to go away when third world was hilariously pretended to be just the same. But for some reason the function goes away and never is it the fault of the 'new arrivals'. Its always the fault of those who wouldnt tolerate it and left. i remember Annandale back in the day. Now many shopping strip malls dont bother to accommodate english speakers the way we accommodated them. So now we see and hope to avoid that in the new places we fled to. Cheers

Posted by: The Way You Weren't ()
Date: July 04, 2020 01:22PM

The Way We Were Wrote:
> Back in the day the center of Annandale was
> Kerlins Cornor, Don's Barber shop and Sal's shoe
> repair. Annandale was as white then as driven snow
> with nary a nog, beaner or dog eater in sight.

You must have left Annandale 40 years ago.

Annandale was intensively developed right after WW2. This meant that the area's black families were squeezed out early. It also meant Annandale was set up to experience problems long before they hit other parts of the county. Immigrants from southeast Asia started spilling into the area before 1980, while the apartments originally intended for young people just starting out and people working in DC for just a year or two started attracting a permanent socioeconomic underclass. Annandale's small houses were not what more affluent northern Virginia homebuyer were looking for even for starter homes, so the Yuppies headed west. Meanwhile Annandale's strip malls couldn't compete with Tysons and Springfield. Residents who came to Annandale in the fifties and sixties to work for the Federal government were retiring starting in the late 1980s and moving on. By 1990 Poe Middle School is already "celebrating" the diversity of its student body. Meanwhile Korean businessmen are moving into retail areas that were already abandoned by businesses that had catered to white middle class customers.

Posted by: Ok???? ()
Date: November 14, 2020 11:01AM

It goes both ways! Try going to eat in one of the small Korean restaurants as a white person. They give you dirty looks like you are not allowed to eat there. I grew up in Annandale from 1966 back when Annandale was a nice, clean, safe place to live

Posted by: Owner Diamond Club ()
Date: November 14, 2020 07:01PM

We still open. All welcome here. Murder happen in parking lot not inside fine establishment,

Posted by: Americans Speak Out ()
Date: November 14, 2020 11:21PM

>Don't hate the people that are in the exact same position as your family was at one time

Our family never got any welfare , come here legally and get no welfare make it the hard way like we Americans did or get out and STFU

Immigrants are supposed to build America, not tear it down by voting for Democrats welfare checks as public charges but since the country was built long ago the point is moot , so build up your country, were full up . Too much crime too many despots you say , we had them too we fought back and started a new nation so you do the same and STFU

Posted by: Dan Knows ()
Date: March 23, 2021 07:14AM

Anyone remember a really cute but pretty wild girl named Leslie Fisher that went to Annandale in the mid 60's?

Pages: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.