HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Annandale Back in the Day
Posted by: 080909 ()
Date: July 10, 2013 10:42AM

Hey guys remember Little River Turnpike? Then some band decided to name themseleves after it...Little River Band. LOL.

Sorry, couldn't resist and I hate to mess up an othersie great thread with this silliness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally's pet shop ()
Date: July 10, 2013 10:45AM

Who remembers that pet shop that had monkeys and a giant sea turtle in a tank in the middle of the store. Pretty sure it was called Wally's.

Posted by: oldguy ()
Date: July 10, 2013 11:38AM

Wally's pet shop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who remembers that pet shop that had monkeys and a
> giant sea turtle in a tank in the middle of the
> store. Pretty sure it was called Wally's.

I remember that store. Big snapping turtle in the tank. But I think it was down in Alexandria, down Van Dorn St. by where it intersects with Pickett, but not as far as Landmark. In a shopping center over to the left. Had to have some kind of special permit or something according to the sign to buy the monkeys. Wally's does ring a bell. But I'm an old guy. I hear bells ringing all the time.

Posted by: green meanie ()
Date: July 10, 2013 04:28PM

Skunk Wrote:
> I remember the thirty-five sweet goodbyes when you
> put me on the wolverine
> Up to Annandale. It was still September when your
> daddy was quite surprised
> to find you with the working girls in the county
> jail. I was smoking with the boys upstairs when I
> heard about the whole affair, I said oh no William
> and Mary wont do.

That lyric has nothing to do with Annandale Virginia. It's about New York/New Jersey somewhere up there on the Hudson river.

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: July 10, 2013 04:55PM

Thanks green meanie....one more time...Steely Dan (in Annandale thread) has nothing to do w/ Annandale, VA....it was Annandale-On-Hudson in NY, where Fagen and Becker went to college----BARD College.

Posted by: small arms of the world ()
Date: July 10, 2013 07:22PM

Dawsons Wrote:
> Hey guys remember that gun range neat Giant called
> Dawson's? Then in the 90s they made a TV show
> about it called Dawson's Creek. That was pretty
> cool.

The gun range they are talking about up there ^^^ is the range in the basement of the building the deli was in. The deli fronted Columbia Pike while Dawson's and the range were in the rear. Dawson's was next door to the range. I don't think they owned the range. I bought my boy scout knife at Dawson's.

Dawson's is still in business in Woodbridge.

Posted by: Chris Martin ()
Date: August 08, 2013 12:22PM

Annandale was a great place to live and grow up back in the day. I lived in Parliament Village with my Mom and three sisters. We all grew up to be successful professionals. All the kids played outside all day long and never had to worry about creeps, crime or pedophiles. You ate your cereal and then played kickball or baseball or football or tag or army or went to the pool and swam all day. You could explore the once plentiful woods and creeks behind all the apartments. We caught crawfish. One summer day there was a tornado that came right through. Yes, look it up. It smashed WT Woodson HS then skipped over to Annandale right where we were. We ditched our bikes and hid by the outer building stairs and held on. I also witnessed an enormous fire on the top floor of the newly built high-rise where 3 people were hanging on to the 3 inch bricks extending from their windows until the ladder truck showed up and drove halfway up a 45 degree hill before extending its ladders all the way.

We all went to Annandale HS and loved it. Full of positive mojo everywhere. Friday Pep Rallies, the best varsity football team in the country. Cool teachers. Great band program. Painting the old chimney at night. Wrapping opposing schools in toilet paper. Everyone had pride and it was he America that everyone loved and cherished. We sang the national anthem together at games. We weren't ashamed to say "under God".

I was a bus boy at Tom Weston when I turned 14. Back then, you could drive with a learner's permit at 14 and also go to work. And also back then, every 14 or 15 year old worked. McDonalds, lawn care, washing dishes, whatever. I don't recall too many lazy or fat kids back then. It's true and is what it is.

I fondly remember an unusually popular bowling alley, Fritzbee's Fantastic Flying Pizza, the first Fuddruckers practically anywhere, a sports store in the same lot as GC Murphy's that had a Redskin player signing autographs on most Fridays. I met Ken Houston, Chris Hanburger, Ron McDole, Larry Brown and Roy Jefferson there. There were so many cool things about Annandale back then, you really had a sense that it was special.

Of course Route 7 was a two lane road and Leesburg might as well been Hong Kong in terms of how far away people thought it was. The Dulles Tollroad had just opened and I remember them saying that once it was paid for it would be free.

Then, soon came the whole entire universe. My sister and I drove through there on a recent visit of mine to reminisce. Of course change happens everywhere, but its not that the town has anything less to offer, its the people that choose its quality of life and see it and want it and make it so, or not.

Posted by: Mean Greene ()
Date: December 21, 2013 04:46PM

-------------------------------
>Anybody remember the Annandale Bar And Grill? What a hole in the wall but super cold beer and live music.
> BTW Mean Greene was my CB handle back in the early 70's when we use to run up and down Little River Turnpike in my ticked out Chevy Van!

Posted by: 378 years of Virginian pride... ()
Date: December 21, 2013 06:58PM

Annandale has gone to shit along with all of NOVA. It is overrun with foreigners who refuse to assimilate and contribute to our great nation, and even worse, carpet bagging Yankees. If you immigrants came to the area to build a life, welcome! But leave all of the marketing in your language, hostility toward white and black Americans, litter, foreign flags, loitering, awful driving and every other act of foreign bullshit back in your home land, don't bring it with you! Assimilate as many generations of immigrants have before you, be an American, and welcome to the party!
Don't know how to get rid of the damn Yankees though, were gonna fall back to the Rappahannock and fight from there! Can't tell which is worse, an elderly Korean female driver or the arrogant bitch from Jersey who just cut me off while blabbing on a cell phone in her beemer. I miss Annandale surplus and Shakeys bluegrass nights!

Posted by: whaaat ()
Date: December 21, 2013 08:51PM

Yankee carpet baggers? What the fuck are you from the 1800s or something? That's such a stupid obsolete and inapplicable term. Anyway, why the fuck would people from Jersey, or anywhere up north, WANT to live n Annandale? I do, however, agree with your points with regard to the immigrants. Fucking bunch of insular parasites.

Posted by: CCC ()
Date: December 21, 2013 09:00PM

Unfortunately, Steely Dan was referring to Annandale, NY.

Posted by: Virginian pride... ()
Date: December 22, 2013 10:50AM

whaaat Wrote:
> Yankee carpet baggers? What the fuck are you from
> the 1800s or something? That's such a stupid
> obsolete and inapplicable term. Anyway, why the
> fuck would people from Jersey, or anywhere up
> north, WANT to live n Annandale? I do, however,
> agree with your points with regard to the
> immigrants. Fucking bunch of insular parasites.

Nah man, not the 1800s. But they do the same shit as their useless Yankee forebears did. Come down here cause they can't make a living in their failed industrial shithole towns or states, take the money they make here and retire back home or inflict themselves on Southerners further down. Run up the cost of land and housing just liked during reconstruction so that people from here can't afford to stay here. Most of the "developers" are scumbag Yankees too, make a quick buck and org to

Posted by: Virginian ()
Date: December 22, 2013 11:11AM

Virginian pride... Wrote:
> whaaat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yankee carpet baggers? What the fuck are you
> from
> > the 1800s or something? That's such a stupid
> > obsolete and inapplicable term. Anyway, why the
> > fuck would people from Jersey, or anywhere up
> > north, WANT to live n Annandale? I do, however,
> > agree with your points with regard to the
> > immigrants. Fucking bunch of insular parasites.
>
> Nah man, not the 1800s. But they do the same shit
> as their useless Yankee forebears did. Come down
> here cause they can't make a living in their
> failed industrial shithole towns or states, take
> the money they make here and retire back home or
> inflict themselves on Southerners further down.
> Run up the cost of land and housing just likelike
> during reconstruction so that people from here
> can't afford to stay here. Most of the
> "developers" are scumbag Yankees too, make a quick
> buck and off to ruin some other area. Take notice of the out of state plates on the roads here, mostly damn Yankees. There is over a million people on this county now,wtf?
I am not a Southern revisionist, nor xenophobic, just a proud Virginian whose family, including self, have fought for, and once against, this great nation in nearly every war we have had, beginning with our Revolution. We have traveled our nation and the world, yet always return to our home land, Virginia. Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Posted by: Intrepid ()
Date: December 29, 2013 11:19PM

Back in 1981-2 is when I first met Col. Leonard O. Friesz, US Army Ret. and he was a gentleman of his era. I was buying my first handgun and he was very knowledgeable and helpful. He was a bit surprised at my choice of a handgun since it didn't run along the typical lines of guns that were sold at the time. We talked a bit about my choice and I think he was impressed that I did my research very well. He special ordered it and only charged me 10% above his cost. I don't think The Loading Bench was the same without him!

Posted by: Optional ()
Date: January 19, 2014 01:10AM

Carrolls yes then briefly McDonalds

Posted by: The Wolverine ()
Date: January 20, 2014 11:11AM

Annandale is so famous that they even wrote a song about it back in the 70s - "My Old School" by Stealy Dan was a famous song written about the town of Annandale. The whole album "Countdown to Exstasy" was basically about how cool it was to live in Annandale back in the day.

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: January 20, 2014 11:24AM

...AGAIN....one more time...Steely Dan has nothing to do w/ Annandale, VA....it was Annandale-On-Hudson in NY, where Fagen and Becker went to college----BARD College.

Posted by: A Smasher ()
Date: January 20, 2014 12:36PM

I loved that song! Whenever we heard it we felt like A-dale was a real rock-and-roll place... we were on the map!!!

Posted by: Slacks ()
Date: January 20, 2014 02:41PM

WhatHappenedToShortSkirts? Wrote:
> § Wrote:
> -----
> > I saw the other day that H.I. Ribsters was gone
> > too. It was like some wannabe-steakhouse with
> > waitresses that wore lace stockings and short
> > skirts.
> >
>
> That's why I miss. The hell with Annandale.
> Whatever happened to female wait staffs that
> showed leg and plenty of it? All you get now is
> black pants.
>
> Yuck.
>
> Nowadays, I have to go to Lilian's on Mount Vernon
> Ave and hang out with the beaners to see waitesses
> in minis and heels.

It's because nowadays they're all fat and have tons of cellulite, even in their 20's. Trust me, they're doing us a favor.

Posted by: Atom 88 ()
Date: January 20, 2014 04:44PM

Went to Chapel Square at the same time, and the girl that died was in my class. She lived on Toll House Road, near Wakefield Chapel. While she was sick our teacher took us out to the play ground so we could all waive to her as she watched from her bedroom window. I am pretty sure it was Mrs. McCloud,s class. The girls last name may have been Bowes? Mr. Jones, Ms. Ginsberg! Ms. Bishop, Mr. Fitzgerald, Mrs. Henry were some of the teachers.

Anyone remember the skateboard ramp in the woods off of Wakefield Chapel Road?
Dale and Vern at Little River Haircutters?

Posted by: Mike Fahey ()
Date: January 22, 2014 04:03PM

Shakey's Pizza?

Posted by: TJHS Class of "78 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 11:35AM

Mike Fahey Wrote:
> Shakey's Pizza?

-was the bomb. and they had the 'Bunch-of-Lunch' buffet with fried chicken and taters that we would skip school and go to.
Annandale Elementary, Poe Intermediate, and then TJHS Class of '78 here.
some things I remember, in no particular order-
-Annandale Sport and Hobby for uniforms/cleats.
-Villa Maria in same shopping center.
-Sledding, tubing and bonfires at Pinecrest Golf Course.
-the Barber Shop (Don's ?)on 236 and getting 50 cents from Dad to tip the barber.
-Kinky Jinky sandwich, Suds Wheel, and yards of beer at Fritzbe's.
-Columbia Pizza and fighting for the corner pieces.
-Playing pool at the bowling alley with the banana-looking cue sticks.
-Penguin Feather for multi-chambered bongs and papers/screens. Sometimes music.
-Pony rides at Bailey's X-roads when real young.
-Krispee Kremes after a night of partying.
-Beating Annandale High School in football the first time ever for our school.
-Blizzard snow and all the dads shovelling a lane up the street.
-Starvin Marvin's (Lincolnia) or Pizza Hut (Annandale) after the games.
-Drive-in movies at Merrifield or down on Rte. 1 or out to Fairfax.
-Waiting in line at the Frozen Dairy Bar at Rte. 50.
Ok. enough weepy nostalgia for now.
Still, it wasn't a bad place/way to grow up. My opinion only.

Posted by: exffx ()
Date: January 26, 2014 10:25PM

I lived there a few years before the movie theater was torn down. I remember riding my bike to Cambells nursery (I think that's what its called) and playing a video game machine inside. Weird place to have one.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: January 27, 2014 08:47AM

I remember Nam well. Oh wait, I meant Annandale.....

Date: January 27, 2014 08:54AM

Wally's was down rt236 across the street from the car dealerships dealerships.

I remember eating at the restaurant that was next to Smith Center a few times.

Posted by: Bob der Baumeister ()
Date: January 27, 2014 10:03AM

Andy's Pizza ate Shakey's lunch, and twice on Sundays. The Camel Rider (or Jockey?) was perhaps the greatest greasy meal in NoVA.

One of the best parts about growing up in an Annandale is that you could be a quintessential NoVA Mall Rat, with Springfield Mall, Fair Oaks, AND Tyson's being roughly equidistant.

Patriot Village provided all sorts of potentially dangerous fun- the sewer that ended near the community pool had "Pussy Heaven" spray painted on its seedy walls. There was also a "LIVE TO RIDE / RIDE TO LIVE" mural on one of the doors at Braddock Elementary that seemed to be there forever.

Posted by: studly ()
Date: January 27, 2014 11:43AM

I think it was called Fischers Hardware

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 27, 2014 12:58PM

Fischers was in downtown Springfield.

Date: January 27, 2014 01:22PM

Fair Oaks avoided mallrats by having no food courts and the movie theater in another building. I remember going there only when we had to actually buy something. We were all over Springfield and Tysons though.

Posted by: Recent Grad ()
Date: January 27, 2014 10:59PM

I enjoy reading all the posts here about their fond memories of Annandale, I thought I would highlight some of the brighter times while growing up here instead of the negative changes of the place.

(in no real order)
-Columbia, Holmes, Annandale
-the state basketball and lacrosse teams of '11 and the state champions in track '12
-getting out of school the Friday before spring break from a bomb threat
-A hot bowl of pho when your sick
-Going "star gazing" with a girl on the fields
-Driving out to Peterson's, Burke Lake, and Bunny Man Bridge
-Movies at Regal Kingstown or Fairfax Corner
-Getting buzzed and metroing into DC for concerts in the winter
-Tailgating country concerts in the summer at Jiffy Lube live
-Walking over to five guys every friday from Holmes or a coke slurpee from 711

Annandale isnt the worst place to grow up, and when you get a driver's licence youre free to explore the rest of the county.

Posted by: Jack Rogers ()
Date: April 09, 2014 12:29PM

HI,

Can anyone tell me the street address of the old Rainbow Tree in Annandale?

When I was a very young soldier at Ft Belvoir, I used to shop at the Tree for

records. At that time I lived in an apt complex on Russell Rd.

We used to get buzzed and then walk over to a little place called the Village

Chef, where the fresh Bay seafood worked wonders to get rid of the munchies.

Posted by: Jtt ()
Date: May 11, 2014 08:07AM

My father was a doctor from Ecuador , decided to bring me and my mom to live and work in the USA . We 1st lived in Washington DC , then in 1960 bought a tri-level home at 7732 Heritage Dr . My father till this year still own the home , it is now for sale . I have many great memories of Annandale , GARC a great time to go swimming with friends , the dances the pool held , Shakey pizza , Jax in the box , Kerlins Corner which sold everything , Annandale bar and grill , braddock elementary , Poe middle , Annandale HS , skating at NOVA pond in the winter . Yeah tons of memories , anyway we were one of the 1 Hispanic family in the area and where treated with respect and kindness , my father often saw patients at home in the evenings for little to no charge for people in the area . It make me sad to read that Annandale is gone down the dumper . Are the homes around Braddock and Annandale HS also run down ?

Posted by: fermented chicken embryo isle ()
Date: May 11, 2014 09:21AM

Wait till the Asian Supermarket replaces the Safeway at Braddock Shopping Center in Springfield (next to Swill Bakery). Teh Asian is spreading people and that safeway IS planned to be replaced by an HMart-type supermarket complete with dog meat section and fermented chicken embryo isle...

Re: A Short History Of Annandale, Virginia
Posted by: Semasa ()
Date: June 28, 2014 05:19PM

Any Garges family members still living in the area?

I am a direct descendant of William Garges on my mom's side of the family.

She was always angry that the Yankee troops burned her grandfather's business and other property, considering that the family was from PA and he was personally in favor of national unity under the U.S. government.

Posted by: wausay? ()
Date: June 28, 2014 10:02PM

Recent Grad Wrote:
> I enjoy reading all the posts here about their
> fond memories of Annandale, I thought I would
> highlight some of the brighter times while growing
> up here instead of the negative changes of the
> place.
>
> (in no real order)
> -Columbia, Holmes, Annandale
> -the state basketball and lacrosse teams of '11
> and the state champions in track '12
> -getting out of school the Friday before spring
> break from a bomb threat
> -A hot bowl of pho when your sick
> -Going "star gazing" with a girl on the fields
> -Driving out to Peterson's, Burke Lake, and Bunny
> Man Bridge
> -Movies at Regal Kingstown or Fairfax Corner
> -Getting buzzed and metroing into DC for concerts
> in the winter
> -Tailgating country concerts in the summer at
> Jiffy Lube live
> -Walking over to five guys every friday from
> Holmes or a coke slurpee from 711
>
> Annandale isnt the worst place to grow up, and
> when you get a driver's licence youre free to
> explore the rest of the county.

Regal Kingstown? Fairfax Corner? Aren’t these places like 10 years old? I’m confused. How old are you?

Posted by: neverknew ()
Date: June 28, 2014 10:05PM

The Wolverine Wrote:
> Annandale is so famous that they even wrote a song
> about it back in the 70s - "My Old School" by
> Stealy Dan was a famous song written about the
> town of Annandale. The whole album "Countdown to
> Exstasy" was basically about how cool it was to
> live in Annandale back in the day.

I never knew that. I’ll have to get that song to listen to it again. That’s cool.

Posted by: You Know My Steez ()
Date: June 28, 2014 10:16PM

Annandale NY. Save your money.

Posted by: dan s ()
Date: June 29, 2014 08:21PM

I remember hanging out a DUffy's pub, drinking beer and hanging out with Walter Becker and Donald Fagan. They always dissed annandale, saying they hated it and wanted to leave and never come back, but there they were night after night, drinking beer and complaining. I think they changed the name of the place to sunset grill.

Posted by: NS 13 ()
Date: June 29, 2014 09:52PM

Friday nite fights at Jack in the box.

Posted by: JillB ()
Date: July 06, 2014 12:25AM

Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant/bar that used to be in late 80's early 90's where Palace Restaurant is now? Used to be an antique store next door.

Posted by: T ()
Date: August 15, 2014 07:02PM

The Theater is a shopping mall. The Party Company is in the old Juvenile Sales building.

Posted by: DH ()
Date: August 15, 2014 08:26PM

JillB Wrote:
> Does anyone remember the name of the
> restaurant/bar that used to be in late 80's early
> 90's where Palace Restaurant is now? Used to be an
> antique store next door.

Not sure if I am right, but was it Caldwells? or something like that.
They had a volleyball court next to it.

Posted by: Wally's Aquarium ()
Date: August 15, 2014 11:41PM

Wally's Aquarium and Pet Store was originally in Clarendon. Pet store was street level and the basement was the aquarium and fish store. My folks always shopped at Sears or Penny's or Kanns and I would beg them to take me over to Wally's before heading home. For a little kid who had a 5 gallon aquarium at home it was magical to descend the steps to the darkness lit only by the aquarium lights.
Wally's was displaced by the Wilson Blvd corridor Metro and redevelopment and moved to the old Kinney Shoe Store on 236 east of Annandale. Sadly it went out of business a few years ago and is now a laundromat. Things change but memories are forever. I got a million having lived in the area since 1959.

Posted by: Atom88 ()
Date: August 16, 2014 07:58PM

It was Caldwells first, but then it was Main Street USA. The volley ball did arrive until the owners of Main Street USA took over. Great bar, great food. Owners were Kenneth "Reggie" Register, guy named Buddy, Larry was the chef, and don't remember the lawyers name. All really good guys. I miss that place, gor screwed out of their lease.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: August 16, 2014 09:56PM

Ah, Caldwells -- loved that place!

Posted by: GW ()
Date: September 11, 2014 09:54PM

photoguy Wrote:
> Bob's Big Boy was near Pep Boys, I think it is an
> antique store now.
> Does anyone remember F STOP PHOTO? Used to be next
> to Pep Boys and looked like a flying saucer.

Posted by: GW ()
Date: September 11, 2014 10:02PM

My wife Rosie just asked me " what was that restaurant we used to go to in
annandale that we had so much fun. Lobster and all. When I said, back in the 70's, "let's go to Tom Weston's" she got so excited because they had the best food and the most fun.

Posted by: nogard0 ()
Date: September 20, 2014 02:31PM

i remember clark's music store in annandale va. they had an 8(?) foot tall many watt guitar amplifier called "tiny tim. with super sized speakers. any one know about the amp and its specs ?

They Brought Us Giant Wasps!
Posted by: Ken Kramer ()
Date: September 20, 2014 07:02PM

While visiting Annandale in 2012 (first time in 20 years), I had a Giant Asian Hornet fly around my window.

I figured "Oh No! This can't be, we had these things in Vietnam, how could they get here".

Answer:
They lay their eggs inside insects which eat certain fruits, those fruits have been illegally smuggled into Annandale and the rinds discarded, the wasps larvae hatched and the wasp larvae managed to adapt.

I still had a hard time believing what we had seen, therefore I built a pith jar and captured one, I sent it to UCLA and the identification came back as Vespa mandarinia with nothing else on the paper.

I looked up Vespa mandarinia and it is indeed the Giant Hornet. Great Job!

Wait till you have children walking to school one day and they manage to get one of these things pissed off, I really feel bad for the victim but blame the restaraunts in Annandale, they smuggled them in and now Fairfax/Annandale is stuck.

AHB (Killer Bees) have nothing on these things, they kill them for fun.

Posted by: Stoned Sixthgrader ()
Date: September 21, 2014 03:04AM

Jack Rogers Wrote:
> HI,
>
> Can anyone tell me the street address of the old
> Rainbow Tree in Annandale?
>
> When I was a very young soldier at Ft Belvoir, I
> used to shop at the Tree for
>
> records. At that time I lived in an apt complex
> on Russell Rd.
>
> We used to get buzzed and then walk over to a
> little place called the Village
>
> Chef, where the fresh Bay seafood worked wonders
> to get rid of the munchies.

I've told the story of how two friends and I bought a bong at that Rainbow Tree when we were 12 in at least one other thread. Anyways, the building is still there, but the exterior has had a major overhaul (and hopfully the interior too). According to Google maps the address is 7389 Little River Turnpike.
Attachments:
rainbowtree.jpg

Posted by: Susanne Batchelor ()
Date: November 07, 2014 05:17PM

Such awesome memories. I grew up in Annandale and went to Thomas Jefferson HS. Now not existent. My sister went to St. Mary's. I graduated HS in 1977 and lived in Tall Oaks. I used to hang out at Causal Quarter - anyone remember that? My sister worked at Gifford's (when it was really Gifford's) and her best friend worked at Baskin and Robins right behind Tall Oaks. I remember Jack in the Box being THE place to go on Friday nights after football games. We used to get so drunk...eating 100's of fried tacos! When I was in college, Frizby's the the place to go - lots of great memories. I remember seeing Stars Wars at the Backlick movie theater. Also saw Carrie there as well. I haven't been there since I graduated college - everyone tells me you can't even recognize it. What a shame - such an great all American place to grow up.

Posted by: Robert K ()
Date: November 08, 2014 06:23AM

Susanne Batchelor Wrote:
> Such awesome memories. I grew up in Annandale and
> went to Thomas Jefferson HS. Now not existent.
> My sister went to St. Mary's. I graduated HS in
> 1977 and lived in Tall Oaks. I used to hang out
> at Causal Quarter - anyone remember that? My
> sister worked at Gifford's (when it was really
> Gifford's) and her best friend worked at Baskin
> and Robins right behind Tall Oaks. I remember
> Jack in the Box being THE place to go on Friday
> nights after football games. We used to get so
> drunk...eating 100's of fried tacos! When I was
> in college, Frizby's the the place to go - lots of
> great memories. I remember seeing Stars Wars at
> the Backlick movie theater. Also saw Carrie there
> as well. I haven't been there since I graduated
> college - everyone tells me you can't even
> recognize it. What a shame - such an great all
> American place to grow up.

I borrowed this picture from the old pictures thread. Does this bring back any memories?
Attachments:
annandale.jpg

Posted by: 22015 ()
Date: November 08, 2014 05:37PM

blanche Wrote:
> Yo Ole Woodson Man Wrote:
> -----
> > Oh Yes ,the horrible murder shooting on
> Columbia
> > Pike at Sleepy Hollow light a Navy Commander
> and
> > his son killed there with family watching
> coming
> > home July 4th 1971. I hope the guy who did its
> > either dead or still in prison. My father was
> navy
> > also and that was too close to my heart.
>
>
> I believe that unfortunately this low life got a
> relatively light sentence, especially due to the
> horrific nature of the crime -- commited in front
> of other family members -- and the person has been
> out of jail for a long time. Hopefully, he's been
> the victim of a street crime by now...

According to Fractured Fairfax the shooter, Roger Whitney, only served 16 years of a double life sentence. He was paroled 9/29/87.

Posted by: VndKE ()
Date: November 08, 2014 11:33PM

amazing how tame that line in front of penguin feathers is

compared to asia on drugs, england on drugs, germany on drugs, during the same time period

Posted by: johncommode ()
Date: November 09, 2014 01:13AM

class of 75 Wrote:
> Get used to it, the rest of the east coast will go
> by the wayside like Annandale in the next 10
> years. Childhood memories being bought out, acre
> by acre.

This will be our President in the future.
Attachments:
Idiocracy-2.jpg

Posted by: True The Vote ! ()
Date: November 09, 2014 08:31AM

Is that Michelle singing the turnip song?

Posted by: mkalowe ()
Date: January 04, 2015 08:14PM

Lived in Annandale from 1960 until I left for college in 1972. Went to Annandale Terrace Elementary, Poe Intermediate, and Annandale High. I remember walking everywhere - from my house to 'downtown' where we would visit the drugstore, Thom McAnn's, the bank (my mom worked there, so I could stop and wheedle a little pocket change), to the McDonald's on 236, to the community pool beside the McDonald's, to the Pharmacy on the corner of Medford and 236 (sold the BEST candy). Walked to school with the exception of my 2 years at Poe.
Trick-or-Treating was the best in Annandale Terrace, both the houses and the apartments. Always brought home more sweet stuff than I could ever eat.
Friday nights was always Top's Drive-In night for my family. Three Chefs was where I would go with friends to ditch church while in high school. (although I loved my church - Annandale Methodist. Anyone remember the Purple Peace Coffee House?)
I could go on.

Posted by: S.K. ()
Date: January 09, 2015 08:00AM

It's nice to reminisce & talk about how things were "back in the day" but there are some really ignorant, racist, prejudiced comments on here. First of all, everyone in America was an immigrant @ 1 time.. That's what America is about. The only people that weren't were Native Americans who had their land stolen. Anyway, my point is.. it's disrespectful & ignorant to talk badly about immigrants. The funny thing is, most people who talk like that don't even know any immigrants. Most of the immigrants I know, work very hard & make alot less than most people. If you lived in some of the conditions that people who come here have, you'd want to live here, too. I don't mean to ruin your trip down memory lane thread but it just makes me sick to hear people talking rudely about other people they know nothing about. And no, I am not an immigrant. I am a white American female. I have a grandparent who is half Native American & I have 2 grandparents who came here from Sicily & 1 grandparent who came from Dublin, Ireland & they worked very hard & got treated badly & looked down upon by ignorant ass people like the people who have made certain comments, & then try to cover it up by saying, "Well, only certain people are this way, actually..", trying to make yourself look less racist/prejudice. It's ridiculous. So unless you are Native American, you really shouldn't talk about immigrants. Your family/ancestors were immigrants themselves. And it's not different. All people should be welcome here.

Posted by: v4# ()
Date: January 09, 2015 08:35AM

S.K. Wrote:
> It's nice to reminisce & talk about how things
> were "back in the day" but there are some really
> ignorant, racist, prejudiced comments on here.
> First of all, everyone in America was an immigrant
> @ 1 time.. That's what America is about. The only
> people that weren't were Native Americans who had
> their land stolen. Anyway, my point is.. it's
> disrespectful & ignorant to talk badly about
> immigrants. The funny thing is, most people who
> talk like that don't even know any immigrants.
> Most of the immigrants I know, work very hard &
> make alot less than most people. If you lived in
> some of the conditions that people who come here
> have, you'd want to live here, too. I don't mean
> to ruin your trip down memory lane thread but it
> just makes me sick to hear people talking rudely
> about other people they know nothing about. And
> no, I am not an immigrant. I am a white American
> female. I have a grandparent who is half Native
> American & I have 2 grandparents who came here
> from Sicily & 1 grandparent who came from Dublin,
> Ireland & they worked very hard & got treated
> badly & looked down upon by ignorant ass people
> like the people who have made certain comments, &
> then try to cover it up by saying, "Well, only
> certain people are this way, actually..", trying
> to make yourself look less racist/prejudice. It's
> ridiculous. So unless you are Native American, you
> really shouldn't talk about immigrants. Your
> family/ancestors were immigrants themselves. And
> it's not different. All people should be welcome
> here.

Why would the Americas belong to the Indians that were here when Europeans discovered America? Are you assuming that because they were here at the time it belonged to them? Did they "appropriate" the land from some other group? The land wasn't stolen from them, like countless of civilizations before them, they were displaced by another civilization. Stop bringing this revisionist bs here.

Posted by: U So Wrong ()
Date: January 09, 2015 10:41AM

S.K. Wrote:
> here.

NO
Attachments:
muslims-aresowacky.jpg

Posted by: doc ()
Date: January 09, 2015 12:17PM

S.K. Wrote:
> here.

Immigrants today are different than back in the day.

My grandfather came from Italy as a teenager and spoke not a word of English. He never expected signs in Italian or for Americans to learn Italian to accommodate him. He learned English. He knew he would go nowhere otherwise.

He worked his way through college and law school and became a successful attorney and then a city court judge. Even if the government had all the freebies that immigrants suck up today, he would have starved before he stuck his hand out. He had something these motherfuckers today don't. PRIDE.

After working his entire adult life in this country, he never even applied for social security that he paid into his entire life. He said, "I don't need it, so I'm not taking it.". Imagine ANYBODY doing that today! Immigrants and "natives" alike have NO CLASS nowadays.

Posted by: Mr bear ()
Date: January 09, 2015 01:00PM

I miss the old Shackys, Fuddruckers, Big Boy's and Ribsters. Now it's like being in Bangkok.

Posted by: Old Annandale ()
Date: January 09, 2015 01:04PM

More like Seoul ,to be precise.

Posted by: New Arrangdare mang ()
Date: January 09, 2015 01:10PM

Old Annandale Wrote:
> More like Seoul ,to be precise.

More like a combination of Seoul and San Salvador.

Posted by: PCCeL ()
Date: January 09, 2015 01:47PM

or this will be the future president - via passing the torch (somewhat illegally)
Attachments:
img.jpg

Posted by: 3WeJb ()
Date: January 09, 2015 01:48PM

Attachments:
img.jpg

Posted by: EwuF7 ()
Date: January 09, 2015 01:48PM

Attachments:
pyramid.jpg

Posted by: yXyGW ()
Date: January 09, 2015 01:49PM

maybe we can swim to greenland. it's not fair though it's a much harder swim than from cuba to florida

Posted by: FlashhbackFreddie ()
Date: January 09, 2015 05:48PM

Great pic of Annandale with the Drug Fair sign. Virtually every business in that picture is gone. 7-11, Shell, Amoco, Drug Fair. In that photo you can see a small building in front of where the coffee shop now is in the parking lot of the shopping center. Remember what that was?

Remnants of the Galanis Mobil gas station.

Posted by: local... ()
Date: January 11, 2015 04:53PM

Sorry SK, your post sucks. My ancestors worked their fucking asses off to build and contribute to their colony, Virginia. Since then we continue to add to our country when and where we can, usually through national service. I have know many central american immigrants, most were great, many are not. Koreans just hate any one not Korean usually, it ain't just whitey hating 'round here girlfriend. Wake up.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: January 11, 2015 08:32PM

S.K. Wrote:
> here.

Fuck you! Native Americans my ass. If you are born here, you are native, The fucking “indians” probably came here from somewhere else too and probably conquered it form some other people. Why don’t you go dig in the dirt for someone else to call “native” and stack the indians on the shelf with the whites. and so what if they didn’t come from somewhere else? So, let’s say they just grew out of frogs right here on this soil. So ###$$$%%^ what? They lost it to a conquering people - whoever they were: French, Spanish, English. Whatever. Right now. Right now. Right now. It is what it is. It is America! Love it or leave it but live in the #$%%^&* present! You are a fucking self-righteous idiot and a bigot Quit hating on white people and being so ##$$%%^^^^ stupid Dumb Ass.

Posted by: Dale ()
Date: February 19, 2015 04:34AM

Annandale isn't that bad. The asian restaurants are delicious, and AHS is still awesome and Woodson still sucks!

Posted by: ant ()
Date: September 04, 2015 02:51AM

AMEN! You are spot on!

Posted by: Buh bye ()
Date: September 04, 2015 09:20AM

class of 75 Wrote:
> Get used to it, the rest of the east coast will go
> by the wayside like Annandale in the next 10
> years. Childhood memories being bought out, acre
> by acre.

America the great is fading away. Goodbye, you will be missed

Posted by: White ()
Date: September 04, 2015 09:31AM

causeican Wrote:
> S.K. Wrote:
> -----
> > It's nice to reminisce & talk about how things
> > were "back in the day" but there are some
> really
> > ignorant, racist, prejudiced comments on here.
> > First of all, everyone in America was an
> immigrant
> > @ 1 time.. That's what America is about. The
> only
> > people that weren't were Native Americans who
> had
> > their land stolen. Anyway, my point is.. it's
> > disrespectful & ignorant to talk badly about
> > immigrants. The funny thing is, most people who
> > talk like that don't even know any immigrants.
> > Most of the immigrants I know, work very hard &
> > make alot less than most people. If you lived
> in
> > some of the conditions that people who come
> here
> > have, you'd want to live here, too. I don't
> mean
> > to ruin your trip down memory lane thread but
> it
> > just makes me sick to hear people talking
> rudely
> > about other people they know nothing about. And
> > no, I am not an immigrant. I am a white
> American
> > female. I have a grandparent who is half Native
> > American & I have 2 grandparents who came here
> > from Sicily & 1 grandparent who came from
> Dublin,
> > Ireland & they worked very hard & got treated
> > badly & looked down upon by ignorant ass people
> > like the people who have made certain comments,
> &
> > then try to cover it up by saying, "Well, only
> > certain people are this way, actually..",
> trying
> > to make yourself look less racist/prejudice.
> It's
> > ridiculous. So unless you are Native American,
> you
> > really shouldn't talk about immigrants. Your
> > family/ancestors were immigrants themselves.
> And
> > it's not different. All people should be
> welcome
> > here.

The "natives" in America came across the Bering strait land bridge into America, following migratory herds. They did not originate from here.

And the absurd notion that indians were these peaceful people that had everything stolen from them is nonsense. Most of the land was lost due to tribal leaders trading it off to Europeans in land deals. And the fairy tale story of the mayflower being greeted by peaceful indians on the shore is complete bunk. Indians wiped most of them out

Posted by: marc bone ()
Date: September 24, 2015 01:05PM

Paul Peters from annandale, please send me ur email address. I now live in dallas but wnet to annandale ele. in 63 and have may questions.

Posted by: marc bone ()
Date: September 24, 2015 01:15PM

Where was the old annandale ele. located in '63?

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: September 24, 2015 02:11PM

Former Annandale Elementary School -- its the building next to the fire hall on Columbia Pike -- ACCA Day Care and Adult Day Care Center are in there now, across from the Super Giant

Posted by: Lee ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:39PM

No!!! Annandale was just fine in the 70's... and the Black Orchid so outclassed the town. Five star restaurant then with great hosts, dancing and the best food around. Middle class neighborhoods with emphasis on family, education and the american way of life...sorry to hear that has gone downhill....

Date: January 13, 2016 10:33PM

White Wrote:
> causeican Wrote:
> -----
> > S.K. Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > It's nice to reminisce & talk about how
> things
> > > were "back in the day" but there are some
> > really
> > > ignorant, racist, prejudiced comments on
> here.
> > > First of all, everyone in America was an
> > immigrant
> > > @ 1 time.. That's what America is about. The
> > only
> > > people that weren't were Native Americans who
> > had
> > > their land stolen. Anyway, my point is.. it's
> > > disrespectful & ignorant to talk badly about
> > > immigrants. The funny thing is, most people
> who
> > > talk like that don't even know any
> immigrants.
> > > Most of the immigrants I know, work very hard
> &
> > > make alot less than most people. If you lived
> > in
> > > some of the conditions that people who come
> > here
> > > have, you'd want to live here, too. I don't
> > mean
> > > to ruin your trip down memory lane thread but
> > it
> > > just makes me sick to hear people talking
> > rudely
> > > about other people they know nothing about.
> And
> > > no, I am not an immigrant. I am a white
> > American
> > > female. I have a grandparent who is half
> Native
> > > American & I have 2 grandparents who came
> here
> > > from Sicily & 1 grandparent who came from
> > Dublin,
> > > Ireland & they worked very hard & got treated
> > > badly & looked down upon by ignorant ass
> people
> > > like the people who have made certain
> comments,
> > &
> > > then try to cover it up by saying, "Well,
> only
> > > certain people are this way, actually..",
> > trying
> > > to make yourself look less racist/prejudice.
> > It's
> > > ridiculous. So unless you are Native
> American,
> > you
> > > really shouldn't talk about immigrants. Your
> > > family/ancestors were immigrants themselves.
> > And
> > > it's not different. All people should be
> > welcome
> > > here.
>
>
> The "natives" in America came across the Bering
> strait land bridge into America, following
> migratory herds. They did not originate from here.
>
>
> And the absurd notion that indians were these
> peaceful people that had everything stolen from
> them is nonsense. Most of the land was lost due to
> tribal leaders trading it off to Europeans in land
> deals. And the fairy tale story of the mayflower
> being greeted by peaceful indians on the shore is
> complete bunk. Indians wiped most of them out

This is true.

Posted by: Yeong ()
Date: January 13, 2016 10:50PM

I love Annandale. Grew up here, lived here for 30 plus years. I'm Korean American, born here, served in the military, professional with a family. If you think that people like me are ruining Annandale, kiss my ass.

Posted by: Koreans Are Great Americans ()
Date: January 13, 2016 11:01PM

Thanks For Your Service To Our Country , Fellow American Native Born Citizen.

DAJAX

Posted by: local... ()
Date: January 14, 2016 06:22PM

Yeong Wrote:
> I love Annandale. Grew up here, lived here for 30
> plus years. I'm Korean American, born here, served
> in the military, professional with a family. If
> you think that people like me are ruining
> Annandale, kiss my ass.

Nah, is not you bro, but you kinda look like that dick in the white siding van with all the ladders that cut me off this morning! ;)
What MOS/branch man? 11B here.

Posted by: Yeong ()
Date: January 15, 2016 08:25PM

local... Wrote:
> Yeong Wrote:
> -----
> > I love Annandale. Grew up here, lived here for
> 30
> > plus years. I'm Korean American, born here,
> served
> > in the military, professional with a family. If
> > you think that people like me are ruining
> > Annandale, kiss my ass.
>
>
> Nah, is not you bro, but you kinda look like that
> dick in the white siding van with all the ladders
> that cut me off this morning! ;)
> What MOS/branch man? 11B here.

Haha, I only drive my white van on the weekends. Wrong service, I was a squid:-) But my brother was Army, 11 Bravo.

Date: January 15, 2016 10:34PM

Koreans Are Great Americans Wrote:
> Thanks For Your Service To Our Country , Fellow
> American Native Born Citizen.
>
>
> DAJAX

I was going to “ditto” that, but your name sounds a little racist?

Date: January 15, 2016 10:39PM

johncommode Wrote:
> class of 75 Wrote:
> -----
> > Get used to it, the rest of the east coast will
> go
> > by the wayside like Annandale in the next 10
> > years. Childhood memories being bought out,
> acre
> > by acre.
>
>
> This will be our President in the future.
Attachments:
black hillary.jpg

Posted by: Yard work ()
Date: January 16, 2016 02:10AM

For people that have been life long residents...do they have fond memories of mile long lines of day laborers on 236 like today?

Posted by: Clark W Griswold ()
Date: January 19, 2016 01:05PM

Spending all day outside exploring the woods and creeks with friends. You actually knocked on your friends door to ask if they could go do something , instead of texting them.

Reading these posts get me so heated about the people that infested this once great community making it the overpriced, over populated, soulless strip of pavement in Virginia. I hate it. I miss the real Annandale and feel bad for the generations to come that will never get to experience what it was like. These cockroaches need to go back to where they came from.

Posted by: Cousin Eddy ()
Date: January 19, 2016 10:58PM

Clark, I grew up in Annandale and I can tell you one thing: I wish old school racist dipshits like you would move away.

Posted by: Donald Dump ()
Date: January 20, 2016 07:55AM

Clark W Griswold Wrote:
> Spending all day outside exploring the woods and
> creeks with friends. You actually knocked on your
> friends door to ask if they could go do something
> , instead of texting them.
>
> Reading these posts get me so heated about the
> people that infested this once great community
> making it the overpriced, over populated, soulless
> strip of pavement in Virginia. I hate it. I miss
> the real Annandale and feel bad for the
> generations to come that will never get to
> experience what it was like. These cockroaches
> need to go back to where they came from.

You are, of course, referring to all the douche-bag carpetbaggers that moved here for government jobs and now clog our roads with their shitty BMW's.

Posted by: Camelot1966 ()
Date: January 29, 2016 10:20AM

We first moved to Annandale from Southern CA in mid-1966. We were "carpetbaggers" from the then Cold War military industrial complex, as my dad got a transfer to the Pentagon. One of my early impressions of Northern VA back then was how many trees there used to be. They got cut down at a rapid pace, but in 1966 you could still see old farms, many of them built by Northern Yankees who moved to the area to dairy farm in the 1840's and 50's. Another early memory I have is being a first grader on the bus, going home to Camelot from Chapel Square Elementary (that chapel reminded me of the Beatles song "Eleanor Rigby" which my older sister played, and creeped me out). On the bus once, an older kid asked me: "Are you a yankee or a rebel?" I didn't know what the hell he was talking about! Coming from "Boss Angeles, CA" I knew nothing of the Civil War, which back then was a huge topic. He asked me, "Where were you born?" I said, "California." He said, "I'll have to look it up." The next day on the bus he punched me and said, "You're a YANKEE." He had found out that California was a Union state during the war. Next to my white neighborhood was an old black settlement area, on Holly Road, which had been an early free black (freed slave) area. The entire area was steeped in old history. The oldest artifact I ever found was a 5000-or so year old projectile point in Accotink Creek, when I was a kid. I still have it. Annandale is forever stamped in my memories, and it's weird to go back now and see the changes, although I don't harbor any hatred toward the newcomers. I was once a newcomer in 1966. The thing I regret is how we keep losing rural land to the bulldozer. We are paving our planet to ruin.

Posted by: WJB ()
Date: February 28, 2016 04:19PM

So...Annandale in the 1960s and 1970s...what a great place to grow up. We used to walk from Sleepy Hollow Woods into town along Columbia Pike and go to Drug Fair, Sports and Hobby, Arcade Electronics, and Ginos restaurant. At Drug Fair, we used to sit at the side fountain and get root beer and french fries; we would look at the magazines in the back of the store for hours. Sports and Hobby store was a great destination for models, toy trains, soldiers and all kinds of other interesting things. Arcade Electronics had a lot of cool electronic gadgets long before electronic stuff was common. Ginos had great hamburgers and milk shakes.

Other parts of Annandale included the Annandale Movie Theater, Juvenile Sales toy stores, Jack-in-the-Box restaurant, People Drug Store next to Giant Food, Dawsons Gun (and Tackle) Shop, Three Chefs restaurant...

We played for hours in the woods between Sleepy Hollow Woods and Chanel Road neighborhood...always plotting against the kids "on the other side of the woods." Tree forts, tree swings across the creek, and other things...

Posted by: WJB ()
Date: February 28, 2016 04:23PM

Let's also try and steer this discussion back to what Annandale was and not worry about all these other negative issues discussed above.....okay?

Posted by: Tuthu ()
Date: February 29, 2016 09:57AM

Tuthu

Posted by: Bashmaster ()
Date: February 29, 2016 10:45AM

*their

Posted by: nCnhj ()
Date: March 01, 2016 09:17AM

nCnhj

Posted by: Darryl ()
Date: March 15, 2016 01:05PM

LOL .... someone mentioned the K-Mart sit down restaurant. OMG, I used to eat at their salad bar every weekday back in 1990-1991. I was working my 1st job out of college, the salad bar was only $2, and I had to save my $$ for happy hours down on 18th and M where they'd serve free appetizers. I had this (living off of $20k/year) thing down 25 years ago. HA !!

Posted by: Robert ()
Date: June 06, 2016 05:03PM

I used to go to the High's just east of Hummer for slush puppies. One of the women that worked there had pinned-up, news clippings of Debbie Reynolds because she looked like her.
The Giant was my store for baseball cards...6 packs for 25 cents, plus a penny tax. Never could get the Carl Yastrzemski, 1967 card like my lucky brother got.
The sports and hobby store near A&P was my mini-tank supplier. Across from there was our state inspection, run-down service station that habitually had cars snaking around the building. Every six months was the law (glad that's over).It was always the same guy. He didn't talk much.
I worked at Jack-in-the-box for a time. My brother worked at Juvenile Sales some. My other brother worked at Dart Drug some.
Loved visiting Kerlin's Corner plant store.
Left in '81 and left the entire area in '89. Traffic!!!!

Posted by: LoudChoppers ()
Date: June 11, 2016 01:57PM

Pick your poison.
Which other ethinic groups would you rather have populating Annadale instead of the Koreans.
1) Arabs
2) Indians
3) Chinese
4) Blacks

I have heard stories when Annandale was just a farmland.

Posted by: Terri Mccrea ()
Date: August 02, 2016 12:41PM

A friend of mine seems to remember a Mexican resteraunte that was located behind what was then a Jack in The Box. Anyone have any memory of this?

Pages: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.